980 Ti

They updated that cooler and the card was then called 970 SSC.

Thats what I thought. Still, hard to make a judgement on how it'll perform on this monster gpu based on how it performs on such a power efficient gpu. IDK, I'm still skeptical I guess.

Going reference just isn't an option. Too loud for my taste.

Thats what I thought. Still, hard to make a judgement on how it'll perform on this monster gpu based on how it performs on such a power efficient gpu. IDK, I'm still skeptical I guess.

Going reference just isn't an option. Too loud for my taste.
The cooler used on the 980 Ti is not the same as the one on the 970.

I am waiting on MSI gaming or Windforce cards.
Not purchasing evga cards lately. Unless it is the overpriced kingpin.

What is so wrong with reference? been using my gtx 980 ti SC now for 2 days, seems to do the job well, keeps temps to 70 under a full load in gta5, though the fan is at 80-90%, but can't figure out how that is bad?

What is so wrong with reference? been using my gtx 980 ti SC now for 2 days, seems to do the job well, keeps temps to 70 under a full load in gta5, though the fan is at 80-90%, but can't figure out how that is bad?

its loud. that's what is bad.

If you think that the fan at 80-90% is not bad then you have hearing problems.

Reference are hairdryers - especially in SLI. That got old real fast... Been spoiled with my 980s ACX cooler.

ACX and ACX 2.0, yes. Not ACX 2.0+ - they addressed all of the issues and things run fantastic. Reference any reviews.
The plus model doesn't have many reviews but it's still inferior to the strix, tf5, and windforce.

while i dont have a new card, i do have an asus 770 with the dc2 and it works really well.

LOL, I just put my headphones on when I play any game, never hear a thing.
Well not everyone uses headphones and really even with them that fan at 80-90% can easily still be heard. Its not like all games have constant gunfire and explosions to block that out.

Now I am not knocking reference cards as I myself may get one. I would rather the gpu run at low 80s temps than to have all that fan noise though.

Reference are hairdryers - especially in SLI. That got old real fast... Been spoiled with my 980s ACX cooler.

I never had anything but reference, so maybe I am just use to it, maybe one of these days I try ACX, I just could not wait and ordered any card I can find in stock and I am happy no complaints.

Well not everyone uses headphones and really even with them that fan at 80-90% can easily still be heard. Its not like all games have constant gunfire and explosions to block that out.

Possibly I guess, I don't even have speakers on my PC, I only use headphones, so no headphones no sound.

But also maybe it helps since my PC is on the ground near my feet against the wall not sitting right next to me on my desk?

I don't know, I guess everyone is different.

Here a question I have, everyone was always telling me why do you need anything with more then 4 GB vram @ 1080p? I am like I don't think I need it now per se but more and more games demanding 4 GB, rather have the extra overhead.

Tonight I was playing GTA 5 @ 1080p, with every single setting turned on to the max, including MSAA 4X, and all advanced graphics to the max. I used the OSD from evga precision, and at certain parts of the game I saw the ram hit 4.2 - 4.3 GB video Ram, most times averaged 3.7 - 3.9.

So is that accurate I hit that much ram? and if so what would have happened if I only had 4 GB? Would I have stuttered?

I was extremely impressed with performance, game was buttery smooth, range 60-80 FPS approx, and looked amazing. I figured with 1080p I would be able to do 100-120 FPS, but that is only if I turn off the bells and whistles, it goes to show how demanding GTA 5 really is if you want the full package.

Here a question I have, everyone was always telling me why do you need anything with more then 4 GB vram @ 1080p? I am like I don't think I need it now per se but more and more games demanding 4 GB, rather have the extra overhead.

Tonight I was playing GTA 5 @ 1080p, with every single setting turned on to the max, including MSAA 4X, and all advanced graphics to the max. I used the OSD from evga precision, and at certain parts of the game I saw the ram hit 4.2 - 4.3 GB video Ram, most times averaged 3.7 - 3.9.

So is that accurate I hit that much ram? and if so what would have happened if I only had 4 GB? Would I have stuttered?

I was extremely impressed with performance, game was buttery smooth, range 60-80 FPS approx, and looked amazing. I figured with 1080p I would be able to do 100-120 FPS, but that is only if I turn off the bells and whistles, it goes to show how demanding GTA 5 really is if you want the full package.

Yea. I was hitting little over 3gb on my 780tis and felt slight studders. Reminded me of BF3 and my 560tis..

Yea. I was hitting little over 3gb on my 780tis and felt slight studders. Reminded me of BF3 and my 560tis..

On my older gtx 680 2 gb card even with advanced settings off, and the rest of the graphic settings were set to high to very high with only FXAA, no MSAA, The game did look good overall, but I would stutter a lot especially when driving. I thought it was because I did not install it on a SSD, but made no difference once I switched it to one.

At the time my OSD from precision showed always using Max memory I think it was 1912 memory usage or something like that. So i guess my stuttering at the time was more then likely not enough vram.

So there is really no definitive 980ti to get? I'm leaning towards the EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 2.0+ with the backplate.

My EVGA sc idles at 40 degrees and hits 80-85 in bf4 with the fans turned up. Time to try and replace the TIM I guess.

My EVGA sc idles at 40 degrees and hits 80-85 in bf4 with the fans turned up. Time to try and replace the TIM I guess.

my EVGA SC idles 37-38, and full load hits in low 70's though fan is @ 94%

Only time I saw it hit 83 was when I did not change the default fan profile when I first got it, since then I changed it to aggressive in precision and never went higher then mid 70's

Last edited:
Details on MSI.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/more-details-on-the-msi-gtx-980-ti-gaming-6g-and-lightning.html

jTxFv80.jpg

Last edited:
my EVGA SC idles 37-38, and full load hits in low 70's though fan is @ 94%

Only time I saw it hit 83 was when I did not change the default fan profile when I first got it, since then I changed it to aggressive in precision and never went higher then mid 70's

Yea I dunno how all the reviews say 30-33. Must be on an open air setup

It looks like the 980 Ti ACX uses the 980 heatsink copy-paste.

Comparison: http://i.imgur.com/U4fPmRP.gif
Full shot of the 980 ACX: http://i.imgur.com/9Wlp43j.png

The heatpipes on the Ti might be slightly thicker? Hard to tell.
I would remind you the 980 Ti consumes 70Wish more than the 980.

If that is true then I will be cancelling my order on that card.

Here is a post of someone using the ACX cooler on a Titan X.

There are some others in the Titan X thread using it too.

Seems hit or miss. The guy claiming it never went over 61 must be playing with vsync as there is no way the cooler is that good.

This guy is hitting 75 in Witcher 2 right out of the box with the 980 Ti ACX 2.0+. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymi65DFRb2Q

I'm surprised it didn't go up to 80. The default fan curve is set to keep it around there.

The guy claiming it was never over 61 is using the aggressive fan curve.

Back