980 Ti

Against my better judgement, I'm going SLi with two ACX 2.0+ (mainly because my step-up is forcing me to). I've got some pretty good case ventilation and my CPU radiator is sucking cold air in from outside the case. I really like/liked my 980FTW ACX 2, so we'll see. Always only ever ran blower-style in SLi, but I'm sick of that hairdryer jet engine they both make. Worse case is I can't OC the two 980Ti's as high - not a big deal.

Buyer beware, the reference designs are by no means quiet:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/36.html said:
During full-on gaming, the GTX 980 Ti is very audible as its noise output slightly exceeds that of the Titan X. Our Titan X sample runs its fan at 48% (=2300 RPM) and the GTX 980 Ti runs the fan at 50% (= 2380 RPM). Here the GTX 980 Ti is again too noisy, not following the trend. Sorry, this is not 2013 anymore, and NVIDIA's own fantastic efficiency improvements brought forth this age of super-quiet high-end gaming cards with such exemplary products as the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX and MSI GTX 980 Gaming; the GTX 980 Ti is not one of them. To me, it looks as though the cooler is a bit too weak to handle the heat, so NVIDIA had to turn up the fans. I do have high hopes for custom-board designs, which should definitely reduce noise levels.
(...)
I'm not impressed by the cooler. It's missing the wonderful fan-off-in-idle feature that was introduced with the GTX 960/970/980 and is also quite noisy in full-load gaming, even slightly noisier than the Titan X or R9 295 X2. This is something that custom board designs by companies like MSI and ASUS will solve in the near-future

I am waiting for non-reference design, and on the plus side, by the time the non-reference cards are here, the price and performance of Fury should already be known. Every 980Ti review I read advised holding off on buying until the reveal of AMD's contender.

Against my better judgement, I'm going SLi with two ACX 2.0+ (mainly because my step-up is forcing me to). I've got some pretty good case ventilation and my CPU radiator is sucking cold air in from outside the case. I really like/liked my 980FTW ACX 2, so we'll see. Always only ever ran blower-style in SLi, but I'm sick of that hairdryer jet engine they both make. Worse case is I can't OC the two 980Ti's as high - not a big deal.

Yep, again, same boat as you. I was a little surprised that the ACX2.0+ was the only option in lieu of the reference design through the step up program. Any option to water cool? That's what I'm planning on doing. My 980 SC ACX2.0 SLI setup is pretty crazy loud when running a challenging game (Witcher 3 maxed out), and these are operating at a higher TDP, so heat will be worse. I was planning to WC the 980s, but wanted to wait to see if I slipped in under the wire for the 980 ti. It paid off.

Was really hoping for at least a SC version through step up, but I guess those are really just factory overclocked copies of the reference board anyway. Shame I won't be eligible still when the kingpin version comes out.

So, cancelled my order and will await custom cards. The blower fan seems to be pushing 2500 rpm. With two of those in my case, it will sound like a tornado. Don't want.

I waited for the 980Ti... now I've gotta wait for custom cards? At this rate, I'll end up waiting for Pascal.

yeah.. my two 7950's already dump tons of heat into the cpu/northbridge area.. why don't they make a bigger blower fan for gfx cards ?

aye especially for SLI/CF use, i had two Palit reference 970s and switched to Gigabyte g1 ones; it got hot

Wonder what's with the delay. I didn't keep tabs on 980 release very closely, but weren't custom cards avail day 1?

There was a delay before custom cards were available. If I remember correctly it was about a week.

The 970 had no reference design and was all custom cards on day 1.

My Gigabyte from Newegg arrived about an hour ago... waiting for work to end so I can go home. :(

I think I can get it to work on Win10 by editing the ini/inf of the Win10 drivers to allow the install to complete for the 980 Ti. It's pretty much a Titan X, which is supported, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. If I'm mistaken, I guess I'm waiting for an official driver.

it is ridiculous.
GTX980 has been shipped with backplate, TitanX and GTX980Ti no.
I don't understand this, either, especially with the extra VRAM modules mounted on the back of the PCB with the Titan X. The heat coming off the back of my Titan X has increased the temperature of my CPU by 5C under load. I don't even want to think about what it's doing to my poor sound card mounted mere millimetres away.

does it worth to upgrade from a GTX980 to a GTX980Ti?

can't understand why vendors does not create an upgrade program to switch always to a new piece of hardware. IMHO it will pay.

can't understand why vendors does not create an upgrade program to switch always to a new piece of hardware. IMHO it will pay.
A 980 Ti will be around 30% faster than a 980, so I think it's worth it.

Why do you have to ask when you can simply look at reviews and decide for yourself if it's worth upgrading?

Has anyone seen an 980 OC'ed compared to 980ti OCed?

Wondering how my 1550mhz 980 would match a 1200-1250mnhz 980ti.

1550 is really high for a 980 and 1200-1250 is very low for a 980 Ti.

I thought that is what most titanx/980ti's got.

I have the 980 classy under water in my sig that's at 1550. Debating on whether I should jump to 980ti.

I might be able to get $600ish for the card + block + backplate. Then could swap for a 980ti. Only have $550 in my card, so anything over that would be profit in the flip.

I have the 980 classy under water in my sig that's at 1550. Debating on whether I should jump to 980ti.

I might be able to get $600ish for the card + block + backplate. Then could swap for a 980ti. Only have $550 in my card, so anything over that would be profit in the flip.
Nearly every review was getting around 1450 or better out of the 980 TI.

1477 here http://anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/17

1452 here http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/05/31/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/9

1465 here http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...view-Matching-TITAN-X-650/Overclocking-Power-

Thats about what my titan x im returning does if it was cooled with acx. Under water probably 1500.

Yay!

80CDBA30-D4F0-4252-8B1C-BE21E722C6E6_zpsauvspsop.jpg

Some quick tests compared to my Titan X...

Witcher 3 completely maxed settings @ 1440p -
60 min Novigrad square 77 max
75 min Dead Mans Tree 85 max

With a single Titan X I was getting dips of around 45 in the middle of Novigrad square with the avg rate in the high 50's,walking around the city it was low 60's,this is with Hairworks OFF on the Titan!. With the dual 980ti's it never goes below 60 and stays in the high 70's/low 80's walking around the city (Hairworks ON).
Just running around the world with a single Titan X and Hairworks ON I get mid 60's with the rarel dip into the 50's. With the 980ti's it never goes below 75 and is almost always in the 80's.

GTA V maxed with 2x MSAA and TXAA on @ 1440p
63 min driving around with traffic near Michaels house 95 max. It stays in the 80 range most of the time. If I turn off TXAA and MSAA its in the 100's.
Single Titan X would dip into the 50's and stay in the upper 60's with MSAA and TXAA off.

With a single Titan X I was getting dips of around 45 in the middle of Novigrad square with the avg rate in the high 50's,walking around the city it was low 60's,this is with Hairworks OFF on the Titan!. With the dual 980ti's it never goes below 60 and stays in the high 70's/low 80's walking around the city (Hairworks ON).
Just running around the world with a single Titan X and Hairworks ON I get mid 60's with the rarel dip into the 50's. With the 980ti's it never goes below 75 and is almost always in the 80's.

63 min driving around with traffic near Michaels house 95 max. It stays in the 80 range most of the time. If I turn off TXAA and MSAA its in the 100's.
Single Titan X would dip into the 50's and stay in the upper 60's with MSAA and TXAA off.

If you felt like it... any way you could do this with the Titan vs a single 980Ti? That would be a more direct and meaningful comparison. Thanks!

My Gigabyte from Newegg arrived about an hour ago... waiting for work to end so I can go home. :(

I think I can get it to work on Win10 by editing the ini/inf of the Win10 drivers to allow the install to complete for the 980 Ti. It's pretty much a Titan X, which is supported, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. If I'm mistaken, I guess I'm waiting for an official driver.
Could you give feedback on acoustics and heat levels once you run the card.

If you felt like it... any way you could do this with the Titan vs a single 980Ti? That would be a more direct and meaningful comparison. Thanks!

there are many benchmarks for a single 980 ti vs a single xxx gpu out there already.

I am interested in 780Ti OC vs 980Ti. If anyone has reliable links, please post them. Otherwise, I'm off to Googling.

:rolleyes:

What's your point exactly?

EDIT: Like someone else pointed out EVGA designed this not NVIDIA. The fact that you attacked NVIDIA shows you are a fanboy.

Doesn't sound like he attacked nvidia, he just pointed out an observation and said the wrong company name. You sound more up in arms over it. Resorting to calling someone a fanboy over something as simple as a name mistake. How about making your point without jumping down the the guys throat or using the theatrical eyerolling? He didn't sound like he was hating on Nvidia anyway, plus to be fair the cooler looks the same as stock, and with evga it may as well be Nvidia.

I just got my order in for two 980Ti's this morning. Ended up getting them straight from Nvidia.

I've not seen any mention of backplates coming on the stock versions. Does anyone know if a TitanX or reg 980 backplate will fit?

edit: looks like the layout of components on the back of the GPU is different from the Tx and 980. So I guess I will have to wait on a backplate for now.

Last edited:
Yay!

80CDBA30-D4F0-4252-8B1C-BE21E722C6E6_zpsauvspsop.jpg

OMG, my eyes! Get those poor cards off of the anti-static bags!

I've seen most people getting around 1450 MHz easily with the reference cooler on a Titan X. Also: of course a pair of 980 Ti are going to be faster than a single Titan X. I don't know why you're so excited about that. A single 980 Ti is only around 3% slower than a Titan X.

Thats about what my titan x im returning does if it was cooled with acx. Under water probably 1500.
I think someone posted getting 1550 on a pair of Titans with the eVGA Hybrid cooler in the Titan X Owner Club megathread. I ran my Titan X at 1450 with the reference cooler, going to see how far I can go now with the ACX 2.0+ cooler installed.

Back