8TB nvme drive ?

the snake

[H]ard|Gawd
i built a new 7950x system and have a 2TB gen 4 c-drive, a 10TB hard disc, and some random 512GB SSD's in there, i really want a 8TB gen 4 nvme but they are like $900, so i was thinking of useing two 4TB gen 4 drives in raid-0 just for holding random files i use all the time, plus many external drives and online backups, so losing the raid would be a pain but not the end of the world really, has any one had success with doing this, also looking at two of these HP drives, any good ?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-FX900-Pro...eae8f9840&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

motherboard is an asus proart x670-e which has 4 nvme slots

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This. For 99.999% of users and use cases, there's no real benefit to the blazing fast ones anyway. I got a nice 4tb team group tlc w/ dram nvme (pcie gen 3) for $150 and love it.
so for about $300 i can get a 8TB drive in real world useage, i wonder how much faster raid-0 would be on nvme, but the real benefit would be it would show up as 1 drive in windows, so would easier to manage files i would think.

Win 10 soft raid I used to have a pair of spinners in a software striped storage array under windows that was faster than I thought it could be plus was simple to migrate to a reinstall or new machine. With the increases in IPC and data access speeds it might be worth a try.

Win 10 soft raid I used to have a pair of spinners in a software striped storage array under windows that was faster than I thought it could be plus was simple to migrate to a reinstall or new machine. With the increases in IPC and data access speeds it might be worth a try.
Ya I just do the in Windows software raid also. I don't see the need for doing it in the bios anymore because it's unnecessary when it's not your C drive.

You would see zero performance benefit with raid 0, unless you are doing some high res video work with files in the 10's of + GIGS in size each...
Go with two SN850X drives. That would be top of the line performance in raid 0 with no slow downs or bottlenecks at all.
wont matter, even with high end NVMes - you will seldom ever see the claimed 7-8Gb/s speeds, and if your using mostly smaller files (less than several hundred MB in size) again you wont be able to tell the difference between a high end gen 4/5 NVMe and a mid range gen3.

Sooner or later, all the "tricks" degrade to NAND performance. - René Discards

You would see zero performance benefit with raid 0, unless you are doing some high res video work with files in the 10's of + GIGS in size each...

wont matter, even with high end NVMes - you will seldom ever see the claimed 7-8Gb/s speeds, and if your using mostly smaller files (less than several hundred MB in size) again you wont be able to tell the difference between a high end gen 4/5 NVMe and a mid range gen3.
I know. But it's still badass to have a 8tb raid 0 drive lol.

I would avoid Raid 0 if possible, you only doubling your risk of a failure, and while in hard drives raid 0 was a speed boost, in ssds sometimes you introduce latency, and if high sequential is what you after, there u.2 SSDs that will sustain sequential much higher... at a cost of course.

If i were to buy a 8tb nvme m.2, one that i would take a look close would be TEAMGROUP MP44 8TB TM8FPW008T0C101.

Can’t you just use two 4tb ones and make a storage pool so it looks like 1 drive?
If one fails you still have whatever is on the other drive, right?

Oh I was looking at some 8tb u.2 drives and those are under $500 for the Dell / Intel one.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Intel-P...&qid=1699020909&sprefix=8tb+u.2,aps,87&sr=8-2
Just requires a pcie slot adapter card.
Icydock has one that is removable from the back of the pc.
https://global.icydock.com/product_350.html
IMG_6133.png

Last edited:
U.2 is a good option if you are willing to buy used. Which is reasonably safe because the drives are all professional grade and hard to kill.

Just don't rely on U.2 hotswap, it seems to be shaky with most OSes (it is effectively PCIe hotplug).

K
I would avoid Raid 0 if possible, you only doubling your risk of a failure, and while in hard drives raid 0 was a speed boost, in ssds sometimes you introduce latency, and if high sequential is what you after, there u.2 SSDs that will sustain sequential much higher... at a cost of course.

If i were to buy a 8tb nvme m.2, one that i would take a look close would be TEAMGROUP MP44 8TB TM8FPW008T0C101.
I don't have my 2 4TB in Raid 0. They're plenty fast as they are and I don't know how to do the Raid thing, anyway. :LOL:

View: https://youtu.be/UdUgMySUfZk?si=6kq65NuqOSI9Z6T4

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the advice, question about "windows storage space "

say i used that and later i wanted to separate the drives is the data still on there or is it gone like raid-0 when you remove 1 drive ?

i am not really looking for blazing fast speeds, so maybe gen 3 would be enough ?

either way i may have to wait awhile as my truck had 1800 in AC work done today and property taxes are due soon :(

i do have a 6.4TB sandisc IOmemory card but i can't really get it to install all the way in windows 10, it shows drivers but i cant use the command prompts on it and when i bench mark it is slow like 700MB where it should be much faster, plus it sometimes prevent widows from waking up and have to reboot , so i pulled it out for now, i tried all kinds of drivers but hell if i know what is wrong LOL

worked fine in windows 7

Back