82" Mitsubishi 120Hz 1080p 3D DLP HDTV $1400 + Free Shipping

Thanks.

What about 1080P projectors?

Projectors are nice, IF, you have the right room for them. DLP projectors are nice as well, but you'll need a decent screen and controlled lighting is a bit more important. Just remember, viewing distance means a lot, if you sit too close to a larger screen, the image will look awful because you'll see the flaws in the content easier, 120" screen for instance is great if you're sitting 12-15ft back from it, but if you sat at say 8-10ft which is normal viewing distance for a large screen TV in the 60" range, a 120" projector image is going to look rough. So keep in mind your viewing distance when deciding to go with a projector. Projectors have value above 80" in my opinion, if you absolutely have the proper viewing distance an an 82" TV is still too small for you, go with a projector.

Done with DLP. Had a 61". Blurry mess. Love my calibrated 70" Sharp. Just cannot compare the two. Yes, there are plenty of shitty LCDs out there that my old DLP put to shame. DLP is dead. Especially with 4K / 8K coming. Plasma will die as well. Good riddance.

yes good riddance to both superior forms of TVs, all hail LCD's :rolleyes:

I have a 65 Mitsu DLP, and a 50 Samsung Plasma

I hate going places to watch washed out LCD's

Amen, its sad to see that ignorant consumers have driven us to inferior forms of media delivery, audio and video. LCD's for watching movies are just sub-par, great for reading text though on a desktop as a monitor. Consumers want mp3's now instead of CD's or records, once again, consumers are buying shitty quality mp3's instead of buying higher quality CD's or records, I understand convenience, but market purchase is what drives manufacturers to abandon better technology to meet igorant consumer demand for products that are inferior.

DLP? LOL! What year is this, and where did you find that 1.21 Jiggawatts?

I'm still rocking a Mitsu WD-Y65(circuit city's version of the 65732) from 2007. Bulbs are cheap, picture is still awesome. I can't see replacing it until it dies. But that's a decent deal on an 80".

Superior? LOL! Washed out??

Plasmas - a 60hz, washed out flicker fest (great blacks, noisy, hot, burn-in)
Owned a Panny VT, returned it.
DLPs - a blurry mess in a giant cabinet, horrible blacks - Ever try to read text on an HTPC with a DLP? It doesn't work real well. That's a tell-tale, you are missing crispness/clarity with DLP. As 4K/8K increase the resoultion standard, there will be little to no benefit on DLP sets as they already blend/blur 1080p. Great motion, beautiful, vivid colors, still miss mine in some ways. Owned 3 different DLPs.

I've owned 'em all (high-end ones of each tech.) - LED/LCD has the least 'issues' of any out there. I simply cannot deal with the Plasma flicker - kills my eyes.

Last edited:

DLPs - a blurry mess in a giant cabinet, horrible blacks - Ever try to read text on an HTPC with a DLP? It doesn't work real well. That's a tell-tale, you are missing crispness/clarity with DLP. As 4K/8K increase the resoultion standard, there will be little to no benefit on DLP sets as they already blend/blur 1080p. Great motion, beautiful, vivid colors, still miss mine in some ways. Owned 3 different DLPs.

I've owned 'em all (high-end ones of each tech.) - LED/LCD has the least 'issues' of any out there. I simply cannot deal with the Plasma flicker - kills my eyes.

What the fuck plasmas are you looking at??
My old 50" Panasonic plasma looks as good, if not better than my dad's brand new Samsung 60" Samsung 6000 series and he paid over twice what I paid. 600hz vs 240hz and the Plasma still looked smoother and had much better color definition and black levels (basically looked way more "rich"). I have never had any flicker issues, even when connecting an HTPC at 60hz - maybe I am just young and it doesnt affect me as much though (I dont own the TV any more or I would verify this again).

DLP - is not meant for a computer monitor which is your first mistake.
Watch an actual movie on it - absolutely no motion blur in Forza or on any Bluray that i have seen (120hz). Black levels are obviously not as good since it is a projection. Obviously text is fuzzier than an actual direct view LCD but I use my TV for movies and games, not so much for reading.

Plus bigger is really better - watch a movie on an 82" screen vs a 60" screen and you will know what I am talking about.

This is a great deal - if I didnt already have a Mitsu DLP i would definately purhcase another one!
Mine has been on around 12hrs a day, pretty much every day since I bought it on black Friday in 2010. Original bulb still works excellently. Easily 8000 hours on the set.
Sometimes my roommate will stay up all night, so the TV will be on from 4pm on Friday night till 12PM on sunday night while we switch off. Again no issues other than heat.

Last edited:

Yes, I can tell you've spent literally several minutes drunkenly screwing with the old home theater setups of your friends on game night.

Please - tell us more.

Just think of DLP projection blur as free anti-aliasing? WTF are all those jaggies on your lcd?

Yes, I can tell you've spent literally several minutes drunkenly screwing with the old home theater setups of your friends on game night.

Please - tell us more.

So much hate. Don't hate. I've been in HT for close to 20 years. Owned / own a LOT of different shit. Google plasma flicker. Read n learn a little. If it doesn't affect you, great. It affects 15-20% of folks. This is HT 101 stuff. Y'all kill me with your emotions on your sleeves.

To the above poster, the Panny VT is about as good as it gets for plasma. All plasmas, regardless of their 'hz' rating, still redraw at 60hz. It's the same issue as the old 60hz CRT monitors - I couldn't take those either. Again, Google it. A knowledgable salesperson asks about these things before selling somebody a $3,500 tv. Its real for a lot of folks, and it all has to do with eye fatigue. Mine get fatigue'd in about 5 minutes on a sales room floor.

Last edited:
Just think of DLP projection blur as free anti-aliasing? WTF are all those jaggies on your lcd?

LOL, no shit. I'm not saying Brahmzy knows or doesn't know what he is talking about, but this is the first thread in several years that I've read about "plasma flicker." I've certainly never noticed it.

When flat panel TVs finally became affordable and the norm, I wanted to root for LCDs because I was a big PC LCD monitor fan and knew how crisp and light they could be. I wanted to dismiss plasma TVs because of their weight, burn-in, and "plasma recharge" issues. Then we got a Hitachi 50" plasma and I was instantly converted (for TV use, not PC). Color was fantastic, motion was great and we've never experienced burn-in. We then got a 52" Philips LCD for downstairs and it has been a good TV but it's no plasma. The 120hz is nice but looks *too* smooth during some movies/shows. I actually prefer 60hz much of the time, especially during movies. I think the 120hz detracts from the cinematic effect which is weird, but true. When 120hz came out it looked amazing in the big box stores but when you actually use it it looks odd after watching years of TV/movies with that traditional cinema-esque look.

Oh BTW, this deal is OOS. I guess I should have jumped on it last night. Oh well.

But at that resolution why go 82 inches?

Isn't the whole idea to get the best pixel density?

i don't get why photos on the dlp are razor sharp but not text. oh well :p. still using my 65 inch c9 mitsu dlp. considering selling it for 400 and not dealing with replacing bulbs or whatever. still only about 1k hours on the bulb

I guarantee you haven't owned any of the high end plasmas or DLP's. Either that or you suffer from the worst case of pebcak in the history of the world.

DLP and Plasma are vastly superior to LCD technology and PQ in every way shape and form.

But at that resolution why go 82 inches?

Isn't the whole idea to get the best pixel density?

Maximum THX viewing distance for 82 inches is 12.9 feet, at that distance 1080p is firmly discernable, but not 4k.

I guarantee you haven't owned any of the high end plasmas or DLP's. Either that or you suffer from the worst case of pebcak in the history of the world.

DLP and Plasma are vastly superior to LCD technology and PQ in every way shape and form.

Oddly, after really actually owning high end sets from all 3 types, including Mitsu, Panny, Samsung, and Pioneer, I 100% agree. People said plasma was dead 5-7 years ago... and what happened? They are still here. Take a average person to a big box store, show them the different TV's all running next to eachother with equal input quality, and consumers will pick a plasma more often then not.

That is of course not factoring in price, heat, energy cost etc. Burn-in on newer sets is a non issue.

and with your claim of guaranteeing, how do you propose that? :rolleyes:

Oddly, after really actually owning high end sets from all 3 types, including Mitsu, Panny, Samsung, and Pioneer, I 100% agree. People said plasma was dead 5-7 years ago... and what happened? They are still here. Take a average person to a big box store, show them the different TV's all running next to eachother with equal input quality, and consumers will pick a plasma more often then not.

That is of course not factoring in price, heat, energy cost etc. Burn-in on newer sets is a non issue.

I love plasma. The motion and the blacks are bar none nicer.

I think the problem is the misconceptions people believe about plasmas. Some "expert" tells them about the issues which plagued first gen models into today's context.

LOL, no shit. I'm not saying Brahmzy knows or doesn't know what he is talking about, but this is the first thread in several years that I've read about "plasma flicker." I've certainly never noticed it.
Brahmzy has always been honest and I'm sure he's not lying about his observations with plasma.

It's never bothered me or any of my friends but I know the flicker bothers some people.

lot of bunk in that post...I agree that plasma offers the best image quality for videophiles who crave picture quality above all else (I own a 55" Panasonic VT30 and love it)...but to say that burn-in/image retention is a thing of the past is simply not true...has it gotten better? Yes...has it completely gone away? No...I still get slight image retention on my 2011 Panasonic plasma...watching channels with static logos for long periods will get you image retention

as far as the average consumer picking plasma above all else...that is 100% wrong...you take the average consumer to Best Buy and show them plasma vs LCD and 85-90% will choose the brighter LCD...'average' consumers think bright=best...hell you don't even see many plasmas on display anymore in big retailers because they don't sell well compared to LCD

Low end plasmas still suffer minor burn. My UB Kuro still has zero burn in after a few years. Take the time to set up a plasma properly and it will reward you with much greater dividends in the long run. Properly calibrated plasma and DLP will currently give you a much greater PQ than LED or LCD will. However, with that said, lots of advances are making LCD pretty damn nice and comparable to plasma and DLP in the PQ department.

Back