7970 Purchasing Thread

Ordered on Saturday. It should arrive by friday but don't be jealous, my CPU was delayed and doesn't arrive until Monday D: So the DCII will just be sitting pretty until then :(

Ordered on Saturday. It should arrive by friday but don't be jealous, my CPU was delayed and doesn't arrive until Monday D: So the DCII will just be sitting pretty until then :(
Where are you from? 1 day shipping seems great. I picked UPS so i'm guess it will take 5 days.. :(

I hope EK comes out with there waterblock on time. My water loop is waiting on this

Did you order over the weekend? I ordered Monday and they initially told me it would ship Friday, but I'm hoping that was wrong :p
I'm hoping everyone that preorder will get theres shipped today

I bit on a HIS yesterday. Never tried them hopefully its a good card. Supposed to be here Monday.

Where are you from? 1 day shipping seems great. I picked UPS so i'm guess it will take 5 days.. :(

They're in Houston, TX, so most of the country is 3 days or less. A good deal of the west coast is 4 days, and just a little of the pacific northwest is 5.

I hope EK comes out with there waterblock on time. My water loop is waiting on this

I'm hoping everyone that preorder will get theres shipped today

I live about 5 hours away from directron

Did anyone get shipped status from there directron order? Mines still processing

Btw they had the DirectCu on newegg but sold out fast

Did anyone get shipped status from there directron order? Mines still processing

I spoke with them this afternoon and the shipment they were expecting today won't arrive until tomorrow. Looks like I am waiting until Monday for delivery...

I spoke with them this afternoon and the shipment they were expecting today won't arrive until tomorrow. Looks like I am waiting until Monday for delivery...

That's what they told me as well. I hate it when they say "probably tomorrow, but no later than Monday". Why not just tell me it's going to ship Monday? Don't get my hopes set on it shipping tomorrow if there's only the slimmest chance that it will. If I'm set on Monday and it shows up early, great.

Oh well, no big deal, at least I know it's coming, and I don't have to sit here hitting F5 on Newegg's page to catch it in the 2 seconds before it goes OOS again.

Oh well, no big deal, at least I know it's coming, and I don't have to sit here hitting F5 on Newegg's page to catch it in the 2 seconds before it goes OOS again.

EXACTLY! I felt like I was doing that for days to get my reference card...

Hopefully I'll be getting the shipment confirmation later today. At least Directron seems like a good place to do business with (I haven't before this) - I must have gotten 5 or 6 calls from them with updates since I ordered the DCUII.

I've been buying stuff from Directron for 10 years now. I loved living in Houston back then, I could just go to their warehouse and pick up my order.

Everyone should inform amazon of the lower price of the directcu2 at newegg/directron.

No wonder I can't reach them, they're either ducking calls or getting yelled at :\

I'm going to cancel and I guess just wait on Amazon or Newegg :|

Yup... apparently they got reference cards in. Not a happy camper at the moment. Allegedly the DC2Ts will be in "next week".
What the...

I noticed the status of ETA disappeared and I thought that was a sure thing it meant they were received

What the...

I noticed the status of ETA disappeared and I thought that was a sure thing it meant they were received

Wait, so the rest of us with the DC2 preorders just got shafted? Any official word on when these will be in?

BLT (bottom line telecom) has an ETA of 2-23, so I hope directron doesn't pull the dick move off playing the "we're getting them tomorrow, UPS delay" game until then. Wednesday they told me it was shipping that day, Yesterday they told me today. Guess i'm going to have to camp out and F5 the bigger stores. I feel like a d-bag for praising them earlier.

Can one of you big spenders do us a solid, and do some quick BF3 testing before you install your new card? If you have a 6950 or 6970 (or even better, a lower VRAM card) can you fire up BF3 and record VRAM use at some point - and then do the same thing with the 7970 with the same settings? Trying to get a feel for how BF3 works with VRAM, and how it seems to allocate as much VRAM as the card has available, even with identical settings.

Wait, so the rest of us with the DC2 preorders just got shafted? Any official word on when these will be in?

Not sure... I asked specifically if the DC2T's were the ones coming in next week. He did say yes, but didn't build a lot of confidence in me. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled elsewhere as well.

I think it's all speculation on whats going on with directron since they don't even seem to know. I just hope it gets in asap.

Can one of you big spenders do us a solid, and do some quick BF3 testing before you install your new card? If you have a 6950 or 6970 (or even better, a lower VRAM card) can you fire up BF3 and record VRAM use at some point - and then do the same thing with the 7970 with the same settings? Trying to get a feel for how BF3 works with VRAM, and how it seems to allocate as much VRAM as the card has available, even with identical settings.
Damn I just returned my 7970 with a faulty fan.

Just generally speaking, it seems to use "roughly" 300-600mb more compared to my 6970. This is just me glancing over periodicly at the MSI afterburner on screen stats at random times on maps so it's far from solid info. I noticed back when I had my GTX580 it was very similar to the 6970 in VRAM usage. Just to let you know everything in my system has been the same except the GPU has changed from GTX580, then 6970, then 7970

If you have specifics I still have my 6970 and I can do a more specific test once my DirectCu comes in

So I am returning my Gigabyte 7970 three fan OC card as I received it defective (very high idle temps, doesn't pass stress testing at stock clocks)

Problem is now I don't know what to get instead, and I've already sold mt two 6970's on eBay.

I'm going to be without a video card until I get another one. :(

I'm really liking the MSI OC version (MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC) but I can't seem to find it ain stock anywhere. Has anyone seen it?

In fact, I'd consider a stock cooler OC model from any reputable vendor at this point. (Stock cooler cause I don't want to pay extra as I plan on removing the cooler and customizing it anyway, and OC, as if they bin the chips for OC at all, I want one of the binned chips)

Anyone aware of any stock cooler OC 7970's in stock anywhere? I really don't want to be without a video card for long :(

Zarathustra[H];1038348971 said:
So I am returning my Gigabyte 7970 three fan OC card as I received it defective (very high idle temps, doesn't pass stress testing at stock clocks)

Problem is now I don't know what to get instead, and I've already sold mt two 6970's on eBay.

I'm going to be without a video card until I get another one. :(

I'm really liking the MSI OC version (MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC) but I can't seem to find it ain stock anywhere. Has anyone seen it?

In fact, I'd consider a stock cooler OC model from any reputable vendor at this point. (Stock cooler cause I don't want to pay extra as I plan on removing the cooler and customizing it anyway, and OC, as if they bin the chips for OC at all, I want one of the binned chips)

Anyone aware of any stock cooler OC 7970's in stock anywhere? I really don't want to be without a video card for long :(

Isn't it kind of all on chance? I mean some OC models don't OC well, and my regular sapphire OC's up to 1300/1790 bench stable. So who knows right? We have yet to find a particular card that OC's the same for everyone.

Thats why i always snag up the standard card as soon as it hits before any special binning starts.. though people will say that the binned cards are not golden cards just cards that will hit that specific mhz at that voltage.. nothing saying it will go higher.

Most of the time the reg card will do the same and higher anyways.

Isn't it kind of all on chance? I mean some OC models don't OC well, and my regular sapphire OC's up to 1300/1790 bench stable. So who knows right? We have yet to find a particular card that OC's the same for everyone.

i also heard that MSI doesn't "bin" chips at all

Agreed.

Its all on chance though. By grabbing an OC model, I know the chip is at least able to OC a little, and the chances are slightly greater in my favor, but grabbing a base model, I know nothing.

Probably a marginal benefit at best though.

Maybe I'll just grab a base model, I'm not sure though.

I have 4 ref cards (2 Diamond and 2 XFX) 7970s with no regrets. Of course i also have 4 EK water blocks sittin in a box waiting for me to get the time to install them hehe.

Anyone have the Visiontek 7970? Just ordered one and am thinking if I should return it and get a XFX model.

Got mine from Dell since I had a $200 gift certificate.

So is Visiontek ok? I usually buy XFX.

At this point seeing how they are most all reference design, any brand is good. Enjoy the fact you had a gc from Dell and when you get it, happy gaming.

XFX no longer does life time warranty on the standard cards. Only on their double d edition cards. I really am getting impatient on a graphics card. Im borrowing my friends and I would like to buy one.

Ive tried buying several but each time I get an email saying...sorry they are all out lol.

Im contemplating getting a 7950 and overclocking it but at the same time, I would like a 7970.

Looks like Dell still has the Visiontek 7970s in stock, but they're charging alot more for them than the other guys.

Still having a hard time finding stock in the $550-575 range...wonder how long it will be before I can track one down...

yeah, Newegg is all out now. So annoying.

The fact that I had to RMA my Gigabyte card has set back my plans completely.

The card is currently marginally usable (but it overheats if you look at it wrong, and has constant image signal issues on the DVI port).

I called in my RMA with Newegg last Friday, and I only have 7 days to ship it, so come Friday, I will be without a video card (already sold my old ones), and I can't seem to order a replacement. So annoying.

Back