7970 Purchasing Thread

Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm guessing I'm one of very few going from a 580 to this, lol. Faster is faster. Hopefully once drivers mature a bit, the margins will increase.

OC-to-OC margins are pretty huge per the [H] overclocking article :D from oc 580 to oc 7970. I've gone from 570 SLI to one 7970 and am quite happy.

Well since my bank checks won't arrive to Newegg until tomorrow, (later today), I contacted Newegg support and asked them to switch my order from PowerColor to Gigabyte, but they wouldn't do it. I really trust Gigabye, but PowerColor is an unknown for me. Anyone have a comment in regards to PowerColor?

Just bought a Gigabyte 7970 from Newegg. Wow, most expensive single piece purchase for my PC ever. My wife has no idea how much it costed... Holy jeez, I'm excited. It thought about waiting for the 7950, but with only an anticipated $100 difference between the 3GB model and the 7970, I figured it was worth $100 to get it now and have the best.

Well since my bank checks won't arrive to Newegg until tomorrow, (later today), I contacted Newegg support and asked them to switch my order from PowerColor to Gigabyte, but they wouldn't do it. I really trust Gigabye, but PowerColor is an unknown for me. Anyone have a comment in regards to PowerColor?

powercolor is fine, all these boards were made by ATI anyway, so there isnt going to be much difference really.

Customer support is the only factor here...and thas only if its borked...

Just a bit pissed because i paid $559 for the XFX reference and $549 for the PowerColor... only to find out XFX doesnt offer Lifetime warranty anymore. What a cheap shot, sticking us an extra $10 'cause we all thought they had Lifetime warranty. XFX will hear it from me. Of course they got my money so they laugh at me I suppose.

OC-to-OC margins are pretty huge per the [H] overclocking article :D from oc 580 to oc 7970. I've gone from 570 SLI to one 7970 and am quite happy.

Hmm, that's good to hear. I've never done much GPU OCing. Maybe this will be a good one to start on since it's apparently so easy to OC.

well, i got my self into a quandry.. I bought this card and damnit, I don't know what games to play. I completed/burnt out on skyrim, duke nukem sucks, i don't play wow anymore, serious sam 3 i can only handle for 30 minutes at a time, not into BF3, completed all the major games I wanted.

So now I just bought witcher 2 on steam and it's downloading. I don't really know much about it but there have been several folks on here who claim it's as good as skyrim. I hope so. I also found out there are mods for it like skyrim so I'll be patching it with some high res textures right off the bat.

IF I stay at the current download rate I should be playing in about an hour.

I jumped on the HD7970 bandwagon just after launch by trying to place an order with NCIXUS.com, but the order was cancelled because they couldn't verify the card billing address. That's the downside of living where there's no postal service to a physical address, but UPS will only deliver to a physical address. Talked to customer service, but they seemed unable to help. All their HD7970s were out of stock at that point too. Sigh.

Yesterday I placed an order for an XFX Core through Tiger Direct (showing In Stock, ships in 1-2 days), and they called this morning to verify the shipping address (instead of cancelling it, what a concept!). I checked the order status page about an hour later and it had, in fact, gone from being on hold (pending confirmation) to being in process. Luckily for me, the card is also now on backorder, and no HD 7970s show up at all on the main Tiger Direct page any more.

Really? Really, guys?

I emailed TD to see if they had an ETA on availability, if it's more than a day or two I'll cancel with them and try a third time through Newegg, now that they have some cards back in stock again (they'd been wiped out both times I tried to order, previously).

This is what happens when I try to throw money at people. Take my money! Arrrrgh!

Anyone order from Tiger Direct? If so, was the order processing fairly fast? Any tricks to finding out if they'll receive stock again, or have a card shipped out any time soon?

Sigh.

Just a bit pissed because i paid $559 for the XFX reference and $549 for the PowerColor... only to find out XFX doesnt offer Lifetime warranty anymore. What a cheap shot, sticking us an extra $10 'cause we all thought they had Lifetime warranty. XFX will hear it from me. Of course they got my money so they laugh at me I suppose.

[edit] Foot, mouth. Nevermind.

Last edited:
I purchased two, and I have not purchased AMD card in long time, but looking forward to playing around with the 7970s. AMD seems to have put substantial effort into these cards. Would not surprise me if they already have a 7990 waiting backstage, along with a revision once NV shows its hand. Gotta love the competition between these two companies, text book example of market principles working as they should.

Not really. Prices have gone up when competition should bring prices down. And both of these companies have been found guilty of colluding with each other to fix prices. Markets are always flawed and there will never be a "textbook ideal case" because human nature is involved.

Not really. Prices have gone up when competition should bring prices down. And both of these companies have been found guilty of colluding with each other to fix prices. Markets are always flawed and there will never be a "textbook ideal case" because human nature is involved.

Bam! And we are going to see this now with the Hard Drive market as well....

huh?

Which products are eligible for a limited lifetime hardware warranty?
The following Graphics Cards are eligible for an extension of the standard two-year limited hardware warranty:
1. XFX Radeon HD 7000 Series Dual Fan (Double Dissipation Edition) Graphics Cards with Ghost Technology; a floating cover design that maximizes airflow by creating exceptional venting throughout the card.
2. XFX Radeon HD 7000 Series Graphics Cards with 10-digit model numbers ending in “R” (example: “FX-797A-TDFR”)
3. XFX Radeon HD 6000, HD 5000, and HD 4000 Series Graphics Cards
4. XFX GeForce GT 520, GT 430, 200, 9000, 8000, 7000, 6000 Series Graphics Cards purchased after April 17, 2007.
If you register any of the specified products noted above online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty.***
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/warrantyinformation.aspx

I wasn't supposed to get mine until Friday however it's out for delivery today. I hope to be testing it tonight.

All 3 of my gigabyte 7970s run fine at 1100/1500 and I can push them further but didn't have enough time. Seems like no matter what cards you get they all overclock.

I'm curious how much my 4.3GHz 960T is going to choke the card. If it's bad, I'm going with a 2500k. I've a single 7970 incoming.

Well Newegg has some XFXs still in stock but their last minute announcement of their new warranty terms is disappointing. I really don't feel like spending $600 a card for their Black Edition just to get the lifetime warranty.

Are they still the only company that allows heatsink replacement without voiding the warranty though? I'm going water with the new build so I might be willing to risk the 2-year warranty for the ability to swap to blocks...or I'll just suck it up and look at grabbing 2 580s.

I'm waiting to see what the price does on the 7970 when the 7950 comes out. Probably won't do anything. Also liked to see what Nvidia brings to the table. I normally get a card when it comes out, but something tells me to wait. :p

Mine arrived. I can't wait to get home, so I'm opening the box now...

I like how they included a coupon for a free copy of Dirt 3 that expired December 31 2011.

edit: it worked anyway. They must have forgotten to update the template for their coupon or something.

edit2: holy freaking crap, this card is massive. I could kill someone with this thing if I'm not careful and accidentally, say, throw it or something...

Last edited:
I jumped on the HD7970 bandwagon just after launch by trying to place an order with NCIXUS.com, but the order was cancelled because they couldn't verify the card billing address. That's the downside of living where there's no postal service to a physical address, but UPS will only deliver to a physical address. Talked to customer service, but they seemed unable to help. All their HD7970s were out of stock at that point too. Sigh.

Yesterday I placed an order for an XFX Core through Tiger Direct (showing In Stock, ships in 1-2 days), and they called this morning to verify the shipping address (instead of cancelling it, what a concept!). I checked the order status page about an hour later and it had, in fact, gone from being on hold (pending confirmation) to being in process. Luckily for me, the card is also now on backorder, and no HD 7970s show up at all on the main Tiger Direct page any more.

Really? Really, guys?

I emailed TD to see if they had an ETA on availability, if it's more than a day or two I'll cancel with them and try a third time through Newegg, now that they have some cards back in stock again (they'd been wiped out both times I tried to order, previously).

This is what happens when I try to throw money at people. Take my money! Arrrrgh!

Anyone order from Tiger Direct? If so, was the order processing fairly fast? Any tricks to finding out if they'll receive stock again, or have a card shipped out any time soon?

Sigh.

I ordered from Compusa (same thing as TD) the XFX Base card for $559.99 got almost $23 cash back from fatwallet on it and it arrived the next day to my door using the free super saver shipping. The card was listed as "arrives in 7-14 days". Yep got in one. I have been extremely pleased with the Systemax line of companies since they acquired Circuit City and Compusa brands.

I would go back and check your order, if it is still pending or to late to cancel most likely it has shipped. And they they will not cancel the order if that web page says it can not be cancelled. When I first started using TD I had a very similar order to yours. I was baffled by the process and the item showed out of stock as well, and it was stuck in processing. I called there CS and told them I wanted to cancel it if it was going to be a problem. The guy said ok, but we need to wait till it's out of processing. The next morning the parts were at my door. They are very fast at processing these orders. The fastest I have ever seen from any on-line retailer. You have about a 10 minute window from the time you pull the trigger till its too late to cancel.

Last edited:
I wasn't supposed to get mine until Friday however it's out for delivery today. I hope to be testing it tonight.

Same here. Im hoping Ups will arrive soon cause I wanna play around with it before heading off to work else I will need to wait 9 more hours LOL

Same here. Im hoping Ups will arrive soon cause I wanna play around with it before heading off to work else I will need to wait 9 more hours LOL

Good luck. UPS doesn't deliver early around my way. I'm not expecting mine before 4:30pm.

FYI - Fry's in San Marcos has some in stock. It says they don't on their web page, and there aren't any on the shelves with the other gpus, but I saw at least 3 stacked on a display on top of some computer boxes in the isle in front of the computers on display.

I have a Gigabyte 7970 waiting to be picked up @ MicroCenter... but I'm wondering if I should back out of the deal and let a fiend take it... idk if pay $616 for this thing :confused:

edit2: holy freaking crap, this card is massive. I could kill someone with this thing if I'm not careful and accidentally, say, throw it or something...

Yeah, I was surprised at the heft of the card when I unpacked it. This thing is a beast.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm waiting for the MSI, but NCIX, Newegg, amazon, tiger direct, noone has it. If its not out next week. Im guessing ill go with gigabyte.

for those that ordered from NCIX and live the US, did they really have stock? everything says out of stock or back ordered, and does not allow me to add it to my cart

I'm waiting for the MSI, but NCIX, Newegg, amazon, tiger direct, noone has it. If its not out next week. Im guessing ill go with gigabyte.

any particular reason you're waiting for MSI? all cards are reference PCB's right now. are you waiting for a non-reference design from MSI?

any particular reason you're waiting for MSI? all cards are reference PCB's right now. are you waiting for a non-reference design from MSI?

3 year serial warranty. I have had great experiences with MSI. Really like their products and their customer support. I may go with gigabyte. I had a XFX 7970 regular on its way to me today, but I refused the package, I dont want a 2 year warranty. 3 or more is what I prefer, because when I sell the card I want the buyer to be covered.

Non-reference would be a nice touch. Im waiting for an MSI regular or non reference card, or XFX Double D Edition, so I can have lifetime warranty.

for those that ordered from NCIX and live the US, did they really have stock? everything says out of stock or back ordered, and does not allow me to add it to my cart

I can "add to cart", although it is out of stock. I get this note.

You have selected an item that is either Out of Stock or very low in stock!

This means we may not be able to ship this item immediately.

1) You can continue to order this product, and we will ship it to as soon as we can.

Click on the button below to add this item to your shopping cart:

2) You can select one of the following alternatives that are currently In Stock:

PS: Tigerdirect has the Sapphire model in stock. FWIW

I canceled a tiger direct order 2 days ago and their charge is still pending on my credit card! So i cant make any purchases. Lol. Im building a computer for a friend so my balance is really maxed out lol.

Back