7970 Purchasing Thread

So what are the best drivers to use? Download from the web or use the DVD drivers?

So what are the best drivers to use? Download from the web or use the DVD drivers?

I don't think it is a wash either way. Some people couldn't get one or the other to work. I'd try the download ones first. Those are the ones I'm using.

I don't think it is a wash either way. Some people couldn't get one or the other to work. I'd try the download ones first. Those are the ones I'm using.

Thanks. So I'm installing the Catalyst package now, do I need to install another profile CAP pack or something for Cross/Tri-fire?

Finally got confirmation that my 7970 is on its way. Will be here just in time for the weekend.

I'm finally gonna start Witcher 2 with acceptable framerate. Should be good.

Anyone with the XFX BEDD find that their fan buzzes intermittently at higher fan speeds?

Anyone with the XFX BEDD find that their fan buzzes intermittently at higher fan speeds?

yes, mine does it at around 90% fan. i set a very aggressive fan profile for overclocking but i've since lowered it and now it never gets to 90%.

Mine buzzes or rattles though at speeds of 50% or higher, but it's not always there, doesn't seem normal to me. Thinking I have a bum fan or something.

I just got my XFX 7970 today :) I am so fucking impressed by this card!
Been playing BF3 for hours!

Had to return my Sapphire to Amazon (DOA). Any reason not to get the HiS model that they currently have in stock/ ready to ship? As far as I can tell it'll be comprable, warranty-length-wise.

Had to return my Sapphire to Amazon (DOA). Any reason not to get the HiS model that they currently have in stock/ ready to ship? As far as I can tell it'll be comprable, warranty-length-wise.

$600? Why? Goto newegg.com $550-560 the 7970 cards are there.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
out for delivery...

and there's a pretty big snowstorm outside...

Hopefully the Purolator guy makes it lol. I'm removing snow from the steps every 20 minutes to minimize the chance of them slipping and dropping my card.

So I guess I should start shopping for a 7970... wonder when that u3011 will arrive. pretty sure my 5850 ain't going to handle 2560x1600 :(

out for delivery...

and there's a pretty big snowstorm outside...

Hopefully the Purolator guy makes it lol. I'm removing snow from the steps every 20 minutes to minimize the chance of them slipping and dropping my card.

*fistbump* for the dedication!

Mine buzzes or rattles though at speeds of 50% or higher, but it's not always there, doesn't seem normal to me. Thinking I have a bum fan or something.
I also noticed this as well. I'm pretty sure it's the fan. Wondering if it's worth RMAing back to newegg over this.

I broke down and picked up a pair of Sapphires. I said screw it and paid for Saturday next day delivery.

Still waiting for my launch night order from NCIX to ship. I ordered while they were still in stock... Bet they oversold and I got fucked :(

Still waiting for my launch night order from NCIX to ship. I ordered while they were still in stock... Bet they oversold and I got fucked :(

Ive been checking there everyday. I want to buy from them. But nothing... Tigerdirect still hasnt released my money from my credit card.

I got mine from DirectCanada. Ordered Tuesday morning, shipped out Thursday. Got it today.

So I guess I should start shopping for a 7970... wonder when that u3011 will arrive. pretty sure my 5850 ain't going to handle 2560x1600 :(

While my 6970s in Crossfire did a decent enough job with my U3011, they're nothing like my overclocked 7970.

Single GPU smoothness, lower sound level than when I wasn in Crossfire, uses less power, and I'm working on a way this weekend to lower the sound even more, while cooling it better.

I got a silly question. I just got my 3rd 7970 and I only have 1 extra PCI-e 6 pin cable left and a CPU 8 pin cable. Can I use the 8pin CPU cable on the 7970? It looks the same, the pin-out on the end I mean.

5 days late and it's a reference card at $579.99. i had figured since they were so late to the party that they'd come out of the gate with a non-reference card, or at least a non-reference cooler.

Worth getting it tho or hold out for ASUS/Other brands?

Back