• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7970 Eyefinity Screen Tearing problem Still Exist?

^ I'm not 100% sure on that device, but things like that usually only clone the display, i.e. making the same display visible on two displays

Ahh ok.

I'm just amazed after how much multiple monitor outputs and daisy chaining from DP ports was trumped up that it still isn't a possibility...
 
Zarathustra[H];1038242179 said:
I'm just amazed after how much multiple monitor outputs and daisy chaining from DP ports was trumped up that it still isn't a possibility...

I'm guessing the issue is that the market isn't large enough for a company to commit the R&D dollars to develop one.

This is the closest thing I've seen so far... http://www.zotac.com/index.php?prod...rtuemart&Itemid=100168&vmcchk=1&Itemid=100168

Unfortunately, all that does is create one large (up to 3840x1080 resolution total) "monitor", as far as the video card is concerned, and splits it among two displays. So it's a step in the right direction but not quite like having two discrete display outputs.
 
What AMD did with the MST hub should be illegal. All of their marketing is proclaiming the virtue of their displayport ports and up to 6 displays per port with this magical "hub" except for the fact that it doesn't exist.

What would the world say if Nvidia advertised a similar device but with DVI that would allow up to 8 DVI displays? Now technically the displayport thing is possible but since neither exist, would the DVI device be any more of a lie? That MST hub marketing should stop until a device is actually available for sale. The products that they originally marketed it for are already obsolete.

And then there's the screen tearing issue with eyefinity without such a device. What the heck were the engineers thinking when they put HDMI/DVI ports on that card rather than a third displayport? You can always convert the DP signal to DVI if necessary on all of the ports without the tearing problem but you can't fix this mixed port madness unless of course the MST hubs actually existed and were available. As it is now, none of these reference cards can do eyefinity without issues. Hopefully the Sapphire 7970 Flex 6G makes an appearance soon since that will fix the eyefinity issue.
 
Zarathustra[H];1038242083 said:
This is interesting.

I have two 6970's. My two side monitors are hooked up using DVI. My center monitor is hooked up using DP.

I have never noticed the tearing.

Maybe it's there and I just haven't been observant.

So I just got home and tested, and can confirm that on my two Asus DirectCU II 6970's I do not see any tearing at all (as shown in videos in this thread) despite having my center monitor on DP and my side monitors each on DVI...

Setup as in picture in this post.

I wonder why this issue is not affecting me, but is everyone else?
 
Zarathustra[H];1038242792 said:
So I just got home and tested, and can confirm that on my two Asus DirectCU II 6970's I do not see any tearing at all (as shown in videos in this thread) despite having my center monitor on DP and my side monitors each on DVI...

Setup as in picture in this post.

I wonder why this issue is not affecting me, but is everyone else?

because you're not running eyefinity. Thats just extended desktop. Even i can do that w/o having the screen tearing, but if you were to make that a single display and pan it across all of your monitors, you would encounter the problem we face.
 
Zarathustra[H];1038242792 said:
So I just got home and tested, and can confirm that on my two Asus DirectCU II 6970's I do not see any tearing at all (as shown in videos in this thread) despite having my center monitor on DP and my side monitors each on DVI...

Setup as in picture in this post.

I wonder why this issue is not affecting me, but is everyone else?

Unless I'm wrong, that's just extended desktop, not Eyefinity group.

Tell me I'm wrong though, because that setup would make a lot of people happy.
 
AMD should put 3 display ports 1 mini 2 standard size on the back of their cards and include a mini dp to standard dp, 1 mini dp to hdmi, 1 mini dp to dual link dvi active. Problem solved.
 
Unless I'm wrong, that's just extended desktop, not Eyefinity group.

Tell me I'm wrong though, because that setup would make a lot of people happy.

No, you are correct.

So the problem only occurrs in an eyefinity group, not extended desktop?

That seems to suggest this is not a hardware issue but rather a software issue.

If it were a hardware issue it would be evident in extended desktop mode as well.
 
I'm currently on 6950: DVI-DVI + DVI-DVI + dp-vga so I only have the dp to vga adapter.

Will I start getting screen tearing with 7970 my 3x display only have 1 DVI and 1 VGA.
 
A bit off topic, but I've been considering the Asus 6950 DC II, if I use that card connected to 3x 1920x1200 using passive DP -> DVI adapters would that work without tearing?
I have a few of these already:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...e_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

It should in theory...

I use 2x Asus 6950 DC II's in CF with 3x Dell P2310h's connected via. DP and do not get any tearing (all 3 connected via. DP). Any tearing with that config would be on the adapter.
 
It should in theory...

I use 2x Asus 6950 DC II's in CF with 3x Dell P2310h's connected via. DP and do not get any tearing (all 3 connected via. DP). Any tearing with that config would be on the adapter.

Cool, I'll give it a shot with the adapters I already have, if not is the preferred config using 3 DP -> DVI or using a DVI-D -> 2 DVI (+ the other DVI)?
 
Cool, I'll give it a shot with the adapters I already have, if not is the preferred config using 3 DP -> DVI or using a DVI-D -> 2 DVI (+ the other DVI)?

Believe the DP to DVI, as I don't think you can do the latter.
 
I'm hoping those adapters work out, I have a few from some upgrades around the office, otherwise I may have to buy some.
Thanks!

I should probably point out that I have no experience with those adapters so I really can't give you a go/no go on using passive DP->DVI adapters. Looking at Amazon reviews of similar products it looks like results are very mixed.

edit: More research here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1586135
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1660271

That leads me to believe that using the Dell passive DP -> DVI adapters actually use the ramdacs on the card (meaning only two would work and tearing may occur). You probably want the cheaper active adapters mentioned at the end of the thread that I linked.
 
Last edited:
Guess then there's no way to know until I give it a shot, so at worst I may end up having to buy 1 of those(and 2 of the dell)?
 
Guess then there's no way to know until I give it a shot, so at worst I may end up having to buy 1 of those(and 2 of the dell)?

Running one active should get the eyefinity group working, but I wouldn't be surprised if you still get tearing due to the two passive adapters using gpu ramdacs. Seems like in reality you are doing the same thing as dvi/dvi/active dp adapter, but in a more round about way.
 
Running one active should get the eyefinity group working, but I wouldn't be surprised if you still get tearing due to the two passive adapters using gpu ramdacs. Seems like in reality you are doing the same thing as dvi/dvi/active dp adapter, but in a more round about way.

Your gonna get tearing regardless in eyefinty. It's a hardware issue on radeon cards. I have 2 active mini dp to dual link dvi adapters and am using the dual link dvi port on the card. This issue seems to be related to a synchromization between the different frequencies that display port outputs have with non display port outputs as it only doesn't happen when using all display ports.
 
Last edited:
Your gonna get tearing regardless in eyefinty. It's a hardware issue on radeon cards. I have 2 active mini dp to dual link dvi adapters and am using the dual link dvi port on the card. This issue seems to be related to a synchromization between the different frequencies that display port outputs have with non display port outputs as it only doesn't happen when using all display ports.

If you had 3 Displayport outputs, though, and used active adapters for all three, I'm guessing you wouldn't get the tearing.
 
If you had 3 Displayport outputs, though, and used active adapters for all three, I'm guessing you wouldn't get the tearing.

Correct because using all 3 diaplay ports as the output would solve the problem. I'm getting the tearing because I'm using 2 mini dp (w active adapters)and the dual link dvi.

To avoid the tearing problem you need to use 3 dp outputs, you could buy one reference card and xfire it with a asus direct cu2 which has 3 dp, or do trifire/quadfire with 6990s as they also have 3.

2 Reference cards will get you tearing on 6000/7000 series cards. :(
 
Wow we just did a complete circle -- so Fonix needs 3x active adapters (not the Dell ones he was planning on using) and that DCII card he was talking about according to the above information.
 
Well for what little it is worth, I'm running 2x reference 7970s with 3x 1080p Eyefinity.
I'm using the DVI and 2 of the provided mDP->DVI adapters...I have zero eyefinity tearing using the latest 11.12 catalyst AMD posted yesterday.
FWIW: BF3 @ 6040x1080 (bezel comp), all ultra, 2x AA, is perfectly smooth...outdoor maps and all.

To be honest, I didn't see any tearing with 6970 xfire either...but maybe I'm just insane :)
 
I got the Asus 6950 showing up tomorrow, I guess I'll have some testing to do. Thanks for all the info. I'll hope for the best.
 
Well for what little it is worth, I'm running 2x reference 7970s with 3x 1080p Eyefinity.
I'm using the DVI and 2 of the provided mDP->DVI adapters...I have zero eyefinity tearing using the latest 11.12 catalyst AMD posted yesterday.
FWIW: BF3 @ 6040x1080 (bezel comp), all ultra, 2x AA, is perfectly smooth...outdoor maps and all.

To be honest, I didn't see any tearing with 6970 xfire either...but maybe I'm just insane :)

you running portrait or landscape?
 
Well for what little it is worth, I'm running 2x reference 7970s with 3x 1080p Eyefinity.
I'm using the DVI and 2 of the provided mDP->DVI adapters...I have zero eyefinity tearing using the latest 11.12 catalyst AMD posted yesterday.
FWIW: BF3 @ 6040x1080 (bezel comp), all ultra, 2x AA, is perfectly smooth...outdoor maps and all.

To be honest, I didn't see any tearing with 6970 xfire either...but maybe I'm just insane :)

Is that 6040x1080 at 120Hertz Refresh rate? Or are your screens all 60Hertz?
 
I'd be very impressed if 2 7970s were driving eyefinity 120hz maxed out perfectly smooth, but I somehow doubt it. That's quite the task.
 
I get vsync like screen tear on my center (center is 27" sides are 23") monitor on less demanding games like fallout new vegas and assassins creed It seems to be driver related. On demanding dx11 titles it is butter smooth and no tear like the 6970 did. Skyrim does it also

Does anyone else get this?
 
With the screen tear gone and this card maxing all games out in eyefinity and no more demanding games coming out for along time does that make this the end game card for years? This maxes all on single and eyefinity which makes Nvidia 3 screen obsolete now for no one wants to use 2 gpus on 3 screens (it reduces performance rather than increase it, just compare nvidia surround to a single card in eyefinity). There is no point in upgrading with anything that nvidia has to offer if it cost more than the 7970. I would not more pay than $400 for the 580 now
 
With the screen tear gone and this card maxing all games out in eyefinity and no more demanding games coming out for along time does that make this the end game card for years? This maxes all on single and eyefinity which makes Nvidia 3 screen obsolete now for no one wants to use 2 gpus on 3 screens (it reduces performance rather than increase it, just compare nvidia surround to a single card in eyefinity). There is no point in upgrading with anything that nvidia has to offer if it cost more than the 7970. I would not more pay than $400 for the 580 now

What?
 
It maxes all games out. Unless they make another ultra demanding game in the near future what is the point of making another card? We have to wait a year or 2 for the new consoles to come out to push the graphics in games (which is probably why there are no new demanding games on the horizon)

Once again AMD beat Nvidia on launch of new architecture

I used to upgrade to the best gpu available regardless if its green or red but unless they make another BF4 or Crysis 3 there is no point in getting anything better than a 7970 and now that I use 3 screens Nvidia is no longer an option.

Nvidia is going to lose all their 3 screen support AMD just killed them with the 7970
 
Last edited:
So, my question is then,

For someone who runs 2x7970 (Crossfire) with 3 screens where the screens have (DVI/HDMI inputs), how would you connect them to the two cards to minimize tearing?

Does it even matter?
 
So, my question is then,

For someone who runs 2x7970 (Crossfire) with 3 screens where the screens have (DVI/HDMI inputs), how would you connect them to the two cards to minimize tearing?

Does it even matter?


You can't. You can only connect to the primary graphics card, and the 7970 stupidly doesn't have 3x mini dp.
 
So I would have:

card 1 DVI -> LCD DVI
card 1 HDMI -> LCD HDMI
card 1 displayport -> LCD HDMI or DVI
 
So I would have:

card 1 DVI -> LCD DVI
card 1 HDMI -> LCD HDMI
card 1 displayport -> LCD HDMI or DVI

Yes and you will also have some tearing

A fix you could do is wait for a aftermarket card that has 3 dp and crossfire it with a reference card. A single reference card should run many games fine on it's own. That card is beastly even in eyefinity resolutions, I'd just get one 7970 for now. Just a heads up too, sapphire is supposed to release a 6gb eyefinity 6 edition.
 
Last edited:
Lord_Exodia, thats a good idea. I didn't know you could crossfire non-exact cards.

So, if I wait for a card that has 3+ DP ports, I could just use 3 DP->HDMI pigtails and thus no tearing?

The asus 27" 120hz LCD's don't have displayport inputs. :(
 
Couldnt you just use the 3 display ports on there now? Like the main display port and then the 2 mini display ports with adapters to DVI and be fine or would that 2 cause tearing? If not maybe return the cards and grab some 3GB 580 cards or the EVGA 3GB 580 Classified cards and use them insted since you can use the DVI outs on those and be good. Gota be cheaper then buying 3 27" screens with display ports on them.
 
Back
Top