• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7970 Eyefinity Screen Tearing problem Still Exist?

Couldnt you just use the 3 display ports on there now? Like the main display port and then the 2 mini display ports with adapters to DVI and be fine or would that 2 cause tearing?

There are only 2 miniDP (DisplayPort) ports on the 7970, the other ports are HDMI and DVI.
 
Oh i thought it was a normal display port and 2 mini's and a DVI connection.. heh. Opps!
 
Regarding the tearing and displayport myth.

I have tried 3x U2711s on my ASUS 6970 DC2. All on displayport. Yay for panel lottery >_>

Epic tearing on whatever is 2nd or 3rd monitor. Either of the 4 DPs. Still happened with 2 monitors. Happens on DVI. Happens on VGA. I CBF trying HDMI because it'll just be the same waste of time. Also has happened with a 1080 Samsung g5 pva tv (vga) and S27A850D PLS (DP also). I hear less issues like this on 6990s and why people go to them. Considering dual 7970s anyway, so a 7990 will be the go instead, I have had it with tearing!

Funny thing how the x800xt I upgraded from did the same crap 7 years ago. And for the people complaining about 7970 prices, X800XT was pricier on launch, similar tech jump, so quit whining!
 
Been in the dark all this time as to the inadequacies of Eyefinity, been with the green camp a long time...
Seriously torn between the ASUS 7970 DirectCUII TOP and Gigabyte's Radeon HD7970 Overclocked, (was completely sold on the ASUS until 24hrs ago when I saw reports of the VRM overheating and the cooler not really being all that).
However with screen tearing being completely unavoidable due to the reference outputs on the Gigabyte card, it has me thoroughly confused.

If I was to go with the ASUS card, (Having 2 DVI, 4 DP outputs) I suspect after reading this thread I would want to connect my 3 monitors (2x 1080p @60hz, 1x 1080p @120hz) to Displayport outputs, however with a 120hz center screen this seems to require an active adapter. Ignoring the fact that these adapters seem to be very expensive and have very limited options, would running the remaining two screens through passive adapters avoid the tearing issue?
 
not sure on the 60,120,60 issue

what I will say is that since I have had the monitors down in landscape I don't really notice the tearing any more, it was pretty bad in portrait
 
Both times after fresh installs i had 0 screen tearing the first day in eyefinity (lanscape) at 120hz using accell active mini to dual link DVI adapters on the 2 monitors and 1 DVI on the 3rd.

Then somehow it all changes and goes back to screen tearing again on all 3. Usually dead center on the right monitor and around the top edge of the center and left monitor.

No idea what the hell it is that causes it or what i installed that made something change.. either some windows patch or some other program or what.

On the next reinstall i'll go over it with a fine tooth comb to see exactly what i installed that made the change in the tearing.

Though i only see it on the desktop and not while gaming.
 
Been in the dark all this time as to the inadequacies of Eyefinity, been with the green camp a long time...
Seriously torn between the ASUS 7970 DirectCUII TOP and Gigabyte's Radeon HD7970 Overclocked, (was completely sold on the ASUS until 24hrs ago when I saw reports of the VRM overheating and the cooler not really being all that).
However with screen tearing being completely unavoidable due to the reference outputs on the Gigabyte card, it has me thoroughly confused.

If I was to go with the ASUS card, (Having 2 DVI, 4 DP outputs) I suspect after reading this thread I would want to connect my 3 monitors (2x 1080p @60hz, 1x 1080p @120hz) to Displayport outputs, however with a 120hz center screen this seems to require an active adapter. Ignoring the fact that these adapters seem to be very expensive and have very limited options, would running the remaining two screens through passive adapters avoid the tearing issue?

I am having the exact same dilemma. I have about decided to wait and see what Saphire and MSI come out with. I am definitely not touching the Asus card with the issues it is having. I expect better for $580.
 
This dp dvi timing issue has been frustrating. Only fix is to turn on vsync which limits max fps. I wish I could afford new cards but so pissed about this I would love to drag Amd to court over this to waste their time like my time has been wasted. Anyone else?
 
2 MSI 7970 Lightning using 3 of the new VG248QE monitors ( 144Hz 1ms ) using Monoprice 1.1 mini displayport to displayport cables and all three monitors running @ 120Hz and no tearing at all and smooth as a babys butt. Like a whole new world in gaming. I've been dealing with the tearing thing for years too ( since my 5870's I got at Launch ) and I am so freaking happy that I have no tearing at all.
 
2 MSI 7970 Lightning using 3 of the new VG248QE monitors ( 144Hz 1ms ) using Monoprice 1.1 mini displayport to displayport cables and all three monitors running @ 120Hz and no tearing at all and smooth as a babys butt. Like a whole new world in gaming. I've been dealing with the tearing thing for years too ( since my 5870's I got at Launch ) and I am so freaking happy that I have no tearing at all.

Though the only reason you have no tearing is because the timing is the same for each connection. Try connecting one of your monitors by DVI and running 5760x1080@60Hz (because the lightning have single link dvi). At least one of your screens will have tearing, at most 2. This issue still exist and I'm still sad.
 
Though the only reason you have no tearing is because the timing is the same for each connection. Try connecting one of your monitors by DVI and running 5760x1080@60Hz (because the lightning have single link dvi). At least one of your screens will have tearing, at most 2. This issue still exist and I'm still sad.


I know it will tear... I've been doing this for years. Getting 2 MSI 7970 Lightnings with 3 144Hz monitors with displayport was the plan the whole time.
 
Back
Top