7950s Live on Newegg

Yeah, a tad above where they are supposed to be, but the results against the 580 will put it in better perspective.

At $550, the 7970 comes with the full Tahiti chip, actual VRM cooling, higher clock speeds, and a dual BIOS. At only $50-90 less, these just don't seem like a bargain.

But those are oc version with custom fans
These cost $599 for 7970

Well yes, but have you seen how gimpy the tiny little cooler on the oem 7950 is? It doesn't even cool the memory or the vrm's from what i've seen.

Well yes, but have you seen how gimpy the tiny little cooler on the oem 7950 is? It doesn't even cool the memory or the vrm's from what i've seen.

Ic what you mean now
No wonder they cost above msrp for regular versions

So the DirectCU II version of the 7950 is out for purchase and there's not one for the 7970 yet? Hmm.

Kind of disappointing price.. I guess the review will be determine more...

I have a related, dumb, question though... What's with the mini display port? When I got my VE276Qs, display port was fairly new... same with my HD5850... is there a simple adapter that I would use to hook up my lcds via displayport?

Can't wait to see them. The $500 7950's on newegg, for just $50 more you can get the real deal.

Yeah, that is going to be a real problem in the stack with the 7950 being so close in price to the 7970. I think AMD would sell a lot more cards if they came in at $399 MSRP.

Yeah, I agree 100% with that. If the 7950 is ~ GTX 580 performance with 3gb vram and a $399 price tag they would sell like hot cakes.

Maybe they are saving the $350-$399 for 1.5gb versions?

Still does not change the problems that are there now with the card at $450.

Completely agree, I can't see the 7950s selling well at this price. I suppose they are trying to capture the "first on the block" market, but the first on the block market already picked up a 7970.

Yeah, seems strange. They are 50% more expensive than 6970s, and the 7970 is only about 50% faster itself. So the 7950 is probably going to be less than 50% faster than the 6970. What happened to the price of performance going down each generation?

Yeah, seems strange. They are 50% more expensive than 6970s, and the 7970 is only, what 50% faster itself. So the 7950 is probably going to be less than 50% faster than the 6970. What happened to the price of performance going down each generation?

Hehe, thank NVIDIA and its BIG ASS DIE SIZE.

I was pretty disappointed with the 7950 pricing. If i was in the market id just get another 7970 no question asked.

At that price, I'd be more willing to either buy a pair of 6950s. Or spend the extra for a 7970. Not sure where that card fits. Be interesting to see what the reviews are like tomorrow. Can't see that anemic cooling system giving the sort of overclocks the reference 7970s are getting.

I'm very interested in seeing the official review, but right now I definitely don't regret pulling the trigger on the 7970.

I want to see the 7950 clocked at 7970 speeds and compared head to head as well as max overclocks head to head. That will give a good perspective as to how much you get from the $100 more for a 7970. Hopefully we see that in [H]ard's review later.

Kind of dissapointing to see it at 500 :\. I'd rather just get the 7970 at this point.

Yeah, but we can all wish for a world where AMD prices their stuff based on its own merits, and not on the pricing of the competitor's product. Can't say I blame them, but as a consumer I don't like it.

That is funny.

I was pretty disappointed with the 7950 pricing. If i was in the market id just get another 7970 no question asked.

I can fully see that perspective.

I'm very interested in seeing the official review, but right now I definitely don't regret pulling the trigger on the 7970.

My 7970s are staying in my box!

I want to see the 7950 clocked at 7970 speeds and compared head to head as well as max overclocks head to head. That will give a good perspective as to how much you get from the $100 more for a 7970. Hopefully we see that in [H]ard's review later.

No, don't have time for that quite yet. We have a lot of comparisons made though. More than usual. as we had some extra time for a change.

Damn. At that price, I might as well go big (7970) or go home.

yup

I love how they charge $8 for shipping. I guess you have to milk people when you can, eh? :D

The ASUS DC2T is 100$ less than the 7970 version, might be a rather good deal, especially when the prices drop whenever the 600/700 series from nVidia get released.

I was thinking of trying the red brand on this run of cards but the price point blew it for me. I would rather pay twice as much for whatever nvidia brings to the table.

YAH! Let's see someone unlock one of these bitches! :D

I read in the article about the two 6 pins with the lay out for an 8 pin connector. Might just be the same PCB and everything, but with two 6 pin connectors and locked shaders because everything else is practically the same except clocks. I bet they might unlock ;).

I read in the article about the two 6 pins with the lay out for an 8 pin connector. Might just be the same PCB and everything, but with two 6 pin connectors and locked shaders because everything else is practically the same except clocks. I bet they might unlock ;).

They aren't unlockable.

It's a shame that A) the pricing is so high ($500 for the custom-cooled Sapphire card which HWC has reviewed nicely on noise/cooling) and B) that CrossFire has worse frametimes for the smoothness and more profile issues. They're nice cards otherwise by all accounts.

With prices this high above retail I see zero reason to get a 7950 over the 7970.

According to a review on this website, he says the retail price coming in for the 7950 is $399. (in his final comments section)

I believe the $399 MSRP card will only have 1.5 GB of VRAM. Not really worthwhile over the 3 GB version IMO.

They aren't unlockable.

It's a shame that A) the pricing is so high ($500 for the custom-cooled Sapphire card which HWC has reviewed nicely on noise/cooling) and B) that CrossFire has worse frametimes for the smoothness and more profile issues. They're nice cards otherwise by all accounts.

How do you know they aren't unlockable?

How do you know they aren't unlockable?

Every review so far says no unlock, plus Kyle posted something about AMD telling [H] they had a special hardware lock to prevent it. All previous rumors as well said it was cut off on a hardware level.

Every review so far says no unlock, plus Kyle posted something about AMD telling [H] they had a special hardware lock to prevent it. All previous rumors as well said it was cut off on a hardware level.

Oh I must have missed these posts. Damn :mad:.

Yup, here's the post I was referring to by Kyle: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038327378&postcount=20 :(.

Looking at most of the reviews and the OCs they're posting, it seems like the 7950 is a culling of bad 7970s. This would explain the cut off units and lower OC. Seeing as they are reportedly the exact same die and not a smaller version of the 7970 it makes perfect sense why these don't unlock; probably the good ones are simply released as 7970s to spread stock around.

Back