7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

Holy cow. What a horrible disaster this has been so far. Have built 5 PCs from scratch before and never had anywhere near this amount of trouble just getting a PC to POST. After going deep into troubleshooting/research and seeing more and more and more problems...I think this is the last time I ever build an AMD machine on anything but the last gen of a fully mature platform. Never had or read about so many different kinds of widespread problems with my past 5 Intel PCs.

Holy cow. What a horrible disaster this has been so far. Have built 5 PCs from scratch before and never had anywhere near this amount of trouble just getting a PC to POST. After going deep into troubleshooting/research and seeing more and more and more problems...I think this is the last time I ever build an AMD machine on anything but the last gen of a fully mature platform. Never had or read about so many different kinds of widespread problems with my past 5 Intel PCs.
That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that. Never fun when you’re dealing with issues on issues. I’m an AMD fan but I totally understand if you wanna toss it all out and go with what you know. Whatever gets you mental health as this shiz ain’t worth it lol.

That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that. Never fun when you’re dealing with issues on issues. I’m an AMD fan but I totally understand if you wanna toss it all out and go with what you know. Whatever gets you mental health as this shiz ain’t worth it lol.
Well the whole point was the X3D cache, or else I would have gone with Intel. Still going to get this one working, but still don't know for sure which part(s) are bad. I think at this point I have mostly ruled out any build issues (if I press power connectors in any more, I think I am going to make a hole through the side of the case). Last time I ever buy a motherboard without a Q-Code too. Outrageous how much the price is on those MBs. But debug LEDs make everything worse.

Well the whole point was the X3D cache, or else I would have gone with Intel. Still going to get this one working, but still don't know for sure which part(s) are bad. I think at this point I have mostly ruled out any build issues (if I press power connectors in any more, I think I am going to make a hole through the side of the case). Last time I ever buy a motherboard without a Q-Code too. Outrageous how much the price is on those MBs. But debug LEDs make everything worse.
Amen. A major downside of the $599.99 combo from MC that I bought. ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F with just the stupid lights for 4 different things.

13900K and KS are sick - not to mention the 13600K. 😎

Intel Trolls are leaving 1 star reviews at BB Lmao. No too surprised these days.

Attachments

• IMG_6640.jpeg
    IMG_6640.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 0
At this point, I'd consider the 7950x early adopters the real winners here.

At this point, I'd consider the 7950x early adopters the real winners here.
Why do you say that? At least in my case I spent probably 1.5x than what everything is available for today (especially with how DDR5 has dropped) to own it at launch. If anything I feel 7950X adopters got ripped - like 5 months time as top CPU.

Or maybe the ones like myself who got the 7950X at a hefty discount once the first 7950X3D reviews dropped... DDR5 was cheaper and easier to find for us too.
Definitely agree. I got used 7900X for $305, used 7950X for $380.

Last edited:
Why do you say that? At least in my case I spent probably 1.5x than what everything is available for today (especially with how DDR5 has dropped) to own it at launch. If anything I feel 7950X adopters got ripped - like 5 months time as top CPU.

Definitely agree. I got used 7900X for $305, used 7950X for $380.

7950X is more expensive now at MC then when I originally bought it. There haven't really been any discounts unless you're buying used parts, new prices didn't drop with the launch of the 3DX versions, they dropped when the 13th gen Intel chips came out.

7950X is more expensive now at MC then when I originally bought it. There haven't really been any discounts unless you're buying used parts, new prices didn't drop with the launch of the 3DX versions, they dropped when the 13th gen Intel chips came out.
Really?

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/bundle-and-save.aspx

7950X launched at $699 and now you can get it with memory for $599 - among even better comobs.

It’s $550 without any combo. Much cheaper than launch.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...16-core-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

I was messing around with the 7800X3D last night. Running the chip at 4.05GHz (minimum you can run it at) it still beats the 5800X3D by about 7% in Cinebench R23 (15500 CB), ties it in 3D Mark TimeSpy CPU Bench (12200) and has similar gaming performance. It pulled 50W in Cinebench and 42W-50W in Prime 95 Small FFT. 24-35W in games. (A 5800X3D pulls about 117W in Cinebench R23 and Prime 95 and typically pulls 50-85W in games)

Figured I would post this incase someone is going to put this in an extremely small SFF build.

This chips efficiency is incredible.

Last edited:
Or maybe the ones like myself who got the 7950X at a hefty discount once the first 7950X3D reviews dropped... DDR5 was cheaper and easier to find for us too.
Picked mine up for less than half price, as people were dumping them waiting for the x3d variants. I see the 7950x prices must have bottomed out, and have gone up a bit and stabilized now.

You're not the only one. I had problems with 3 Mainboards on the latest Platform. It's not mature yet, it will get there but AMD has this tendency to release half finished shit for their early adopters... ahem... beta testers.

Really?

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/bundle-and-save.aspx

7950X launched at $699 and now you can get it with memory for $599 - among even better comobs.

It’s $550 without any combo. Much cheaper than launch.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...16-core-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

I bought the 7950x/32GB memory combo for $567 on Jan 10th, hasn't been cheaper since. The launch of the 13th gen is what cut the $699 launch price, it's only gone back up in price since the 3DX chips were announced.

You're not the only one. I had problems with 3 Mainboards on the latest Platform. It's not mature yet, it will get there but AMD has this tendency to release half finished shit for their early adopters... ahem... beta testers.
I have built 3 systems with AM5. Worked just fine. It’s far from beta testing right now Lmao. Not saying someone can’t have issues it happens with any board but to say it’s half finished and people are beta testing is kinda out there.

I have built 3 systems with AM5. Worked just fine. It’s far from beta testing right now Lmao. Not saying someone can’t have issues it happens with any board but to say it’s half finished and people are beta testing is kinda out there.
Yeah, I don't get it. Sure, it took me a bit of time fiddling with the expo stuff and a couple of bios updates to get everything working fine, but these people act as if it's Ryzen 1000 all over again.

4 here - no issues. X670E x3, B650E x1.

Im sure if I pop over to an Intel area, I won't find a single person having issues with alder/raptor lake lol.
You're probably not wrong. Don't anyone take it the wrong way, hell, I'm on AM4 right now, but it took months after I got my 5950X for them (AMD) to release a stable AGESA that fixed the channel swapping issues I was having on my AE-7 Sound Card (PCIe). AGESA 1.2.0.5 (and up) finally fixed all remaining "annoying" issues I had with the platform. Solid as hell ever since, but after using Intel all years prior (after Athlon XP days) I was not used to such buggy software from the start.

Im sure if I pop over to an Intel area, I won't find a single person having issues with alder/raptor lake lol.

Had to replace my Z690 board because Gigabyte's mITX couldn't do pcie 4.0 and was recalled. That was a complete pita to do the swap in my Lian Li Q58, it's like replacing the middle piece of a lego set. But that was an issue with Gigabyte and their board design.

Had to replace my Z690 board because Gigabyte's mITX couldn't do pcie 4.0 and was recalled. That was a complete pita to do the swap in my Lian Li Q58, it's like replacing the middle piece of a lego set. But that was an issue with Gigabyte and their board design.
Ouch, digging out a mobo has to be the most annoying thing ever.

5.05GHz in games. 4.85GHz in Cinebench R23. I use CO -30 on all cores.
I have been testing this - no benefit, yet of CO -30 versus stock. Same top speed, average is down, if anything - 4.45GHz for 7800X3D. Trying it on my 7950X3D, too. First time messing with the "AMD Overclocking" settings.

Temps are lower, maybe? Super icy already though!

I have been testing this - no benefit, yet of CO -30 versus stock. Same top speed, average is down, if anything - 4.45GHz for 7800X3D. Trying it on my 7950X3D, too. First time messing with the "AMD Overclocking" settings.
Try other offsets. Maybe -25 or -20. Not sure if your motherboard tells you but on my Asus it says per core silicon quality, my worst core is 89, most of my cores are 96+ though. Only one of my cores won't boost to 5.05GHz.

Try other offsets. Maybe -25 or -20. Not sure if your motherboard tells you but on my Asus it says per core silicon quality, my worst core is 89, most of my cores are 96+ though. Only one of my cores won't boost to 5.05GHz.
Nice, will do! Thanks. My 7800X3D cores all do 5.05GHz boost. It's ASRock so I don't think I have that quality thing. My 7950X3D is in an ASUS board though so I will check that out!

Nice, will do! Thanks. My 7800X3D cores all do 5.05GHz boost. It's ASRock so I don't think I have that quality thing. My 7950X3D is in an ASUS board though so I will check that out!
On Asus it is under the setting in PBO where you can limit clocks on a per-core basis.

Last edited:
My 7800X3D is arriving tomorrow and I still have no idea which motherboard I'm going with. :D

The Aorus Master is my top choice, but damn is that thing expensive.

My 7800X3D is arriving tomorrow and I still have no idea which motherboard I'm going with. :D

Well yea. All the good boards are expensive. I would be budgeting $500 for a MB if I was build right now.

If you have a Micro Center near by (I know, I know) - watch for open box deals. I got an ASUS ProArt X670E for ~$300 (wasn't even opened) and an ASRock X670E Taichi for ~$300 (open but looked new - probably a factory return from ASRock from the launch window - that was one of the boards that has the sticker on the RAM slots that caused issues)....

My Zen 4 build has probably been the most trouble-free build I've put together in 15 years. At least for the first 6 weeks. It's worth noting for the people having posting issues, if it's less than 10 minutes, don't panic. Every time you update your BIOS (or swap RAM, CPU's, or whatever) it takes roughly 7-8 minutes to post. Seriously. It seems like something is wrong, but that's just how it works. I wish more sites would mention that. After that, it'll normalize and only take about 30 seconds each boot/reboot.

Only buy the Aorus Master if you need all those features, otherwise it's complete overkill, yea it's an awesome board, but really only worth the price if you're going to make use of it. I think the best price range on boards is $300-$400 and will fill the needs of most people. Get X670E if you really need 6 more USB ports and 8 more PCI-E lanes otherwise get B650/B650E.

My Zen 4 build has probably been the most trouble-free build I've put together in 15 years. At least for the first 6 weeks. It's worth noting for the people having posting issues, if it's less than 10 minutes, don't panic. Every time you update your BIOS (or swap RAM, CPU's, or whatever) it takes roughly 7-8 minutes to post. Seriously. It seems like something is wrong, but that's just how it works. I wish more sites would mention that. After that, it'll normalize and only take about 30 seconds each boot/reboot.
Yea I noticed it takes a bit longer to update the bios on AM5. Also since I don't use fastboot, memory training takes a minute as well on AM5 which is 2-3 times longer than AM4, I don't have a problem with it though.

Only buy the Aorus Master if you need all those features, otherwise it's complete overkill, yea it's an awesome board, but really only worth the price if you're going to make use of it. I think the best price range on boards is $300-$400 and will fill the needs of most people. Get X670E if you really need 6 more USB ports and 8 more PCI-E lanes otherwise get B650/B650E.
For sure. I have the B650E-F which is a bit too basic (was part of the MC combo deal) - I like the -E for the full LED debug stuff - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650e-e-gaming-wifi-model/. What I was looking for was PCIE5 slots and PCIE5 NVME...check and check and I'm good. My plan is to sit with these boards for quite some time.

Yeah, I don't get it. Sure, it took me a bit of time fiddling with the expo stuff and a couple of bios updates to get everything working fine, but these people act as if it's Ryzen 1000 all over again.
it sure as hell felt worse than Ryzen 1000. At least those boards posted on the first try. I still have one of those systems running too.

TIL that motherboards now include a feature to update the BIOS without a CPU installed. I don't know how long this has been a thing, but I'm thankful for it. Was reading around how a lot of boards require a BIOS update if it isn't shipped with the latest version and became hesitant.

1681158893504.png

it sure as hell felt worse than Ryzen 1000. At least those boards posted on the first try. I still have one of those systems running too.
Special case then because my Ryzen 1600 setup was extremely finicky at first. Way worse than some touchy ram and long post times.

I've been an Intel user since the late 80s in our family PC. This is the first time I'm considering an AMD PC, one X3D for the wife for the Sims 4 (how do people get so much custom content into one game!!!) and an high core count machine with 64GB/128GB of RAM for me to replace my current i7-6700 non-K. Stories like these really make me second-guess my options. Teh purchases might only be at the end of the year, but I keep my eye out.

Due to the electricity spikes and dips in our area, I try to unplug all electronics from the wall when not in use. Will a complete unplug from the wall cause an AMD machine (or an Intel machine) to have to retrain the memory every time one plugs it back in?

To each their own. When I attempted jumping on the AMD bandwagon off of my 5900X I ran into nightmare fuel problems. There were lots of people having the same issues. Maybe they worked all their issues out, clearly, they haven't because I keep seeing people having issues with them. I will wait until they mature the platform and then switch back from my energy hog 13900K.

Back