6nm series X refresh — Microsoft to remove optical drive but keep price the same ?

Marees

2[H]4U
Internal disk storage to be bumped up to 2 TB & faster wifi

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1703994120937869528?s=20

F6XMIQebEAAa75X.jpeg

So is it the Xcylinder now? I wish they would release a disc version of this refresh for my 4K movies. Been wanting to upgrade from my disc drive One X for a while.

So is it the Xcylinder now? I wish they would release a disc version of this refresh for my 4K movies. Been wanting to upgrade from my disc drive One X for a while.
I am guessing they will provide external disc drives via usb.

Agree that xbox was one of the best ways to play 4K movies

Looks like MS has "out-routered" the "router" look of the PS5. Personally I like the square box look of the XSX, but if they were to remove the optical drive, I'd hope they would also shave off some cost on the unit. I guess the added cost was put into the new controller.

The updated controller sounds cool - modular thumbsticks, haptic feedback, gyro; Always felt the Xbox controller (while comfortable) was a bit behind the PS5 controller in specs.

I'm still reading through the info that was leaked in the FTC vs MS court case, but is that Dishonored 3 and DooM Year Zero I see?

Looks like MS has "out-routered" the "router" look of the PS5. Personally I like the square box look of the XSX, but if they were to remove the optical drive, I'd hope they would also shave off some cost on the unit. I guess the added cost was put into the new controller.

The updated controller sounds cool - modular thumbsticks, haptic feedback, gyro; Always felt the Xbox controller (while comfortable) was a bit behind the PS5 controller in specs.

I'm still reading through the info that was leaked in the FTC vs MS court case, but is that Dishonored 3 and DooM Year Zero I see?

Summary of the complete leak, in case you have not seen it:

Lay it down horizantally & then they could christen this "adorable" console as the 'Xbox series O'

Does The Recent Xbox Leak Really Reveal That The Console Brand Now Hates Discs?​

it’s impossible to deny that the overall physical media market for movies continues to shrink year on year. It might still have the potential to be a lucrative niche, but it’s a niche nonetheless. And a niche, moreover, where potential profits are easier to make on the software side than they are on the hardware side.

In the end, much as I would love as a fan of physical media myself to picture disc drives still featuring large in Xbox’s future thinking despite the complete absence of them in the company’s recently leaked documents, the omens really don’t seem promising.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...onsole-brand-now-hates-discs/?sh=16b3fd9744bb

Of course they hate discs. They want full control over all your content. You misbehave and they will just take access away from you. It is all about control.

Of course they hate discs. They want full control over all your content. You misbehave and they will just take access away from you. It is all about control.
Do you hate Steam, too? I haven't purchased a game on disc in 10 years for any platform except Nintendo. Nintendo's digital distribution scheme is the most unreliable.

More doom monging:

because disc-using PS5s and Xbox Series Xs will still exist in this generation, even if they stop being sold, physical games will still have to be made for them. But next generation? It’s over. Get ready for it.

This isn’t to say this is “good” for the consumer. The main reason this is happening is because it’s good for Microsoft or Sony.

it may simply be the inevitable end of the road. While video game consoles are not going away, as has been previously predicted, the discs themselves are now not long for this world. And once Xbox stops selling its current disc versions of Series X, replaced by the digital cylinder, that will be zero current Xbox hardware that uses them.

The writing is on the wall here. In 2022, a reported 72% of console sales were digital. Something like 99% of PC sales are digital. Mobile games obviously don’t have physical versions at all. And those console numbers keep climbing and climbing year after year. For that remaining 28% (and shrinking) what are the odds that when discs go away they just stop buying games, or they simply adapt? They’ll adapt, even if they won’t be happy about it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...lly-will-kill-physical-discs/?sh=6761ca5347a6

100% recyclable packaging!*
Made with cheaper materials
No optical drive
Same great price!

*Too many times have I wanted to buy something only to discover the packaging isn't 100% recycable and so I can't buy it. So glad to see this here.

100% recyclable packaging!*
Made with cheaper materials
No optical drive
Same great price!

*Too many times have I wanted to buy something only to discover the packaging isn't 100% recycable and so I can't buy it. So glad to see this here.
I bought a PS5 and Series X, with the latter arriving at my house a couple weeks after the former. The PS5 was supposedly in "sustainable" packaging, and I swear I've never needed to throw out so much packaging material in my entire life. The packaging for the Series X by comparison was well-engineered and had almost no additional packaging material to toss out. I'm just wondering how the PS5's packaging is sustainable when my local recycling operation accepts none of the materials in the shapes they were made while the Series X packaging was 100% recyclable.

That is the dirty secret, at least in the US, that recycling has gotten too expensive. The only things my local recycling accepts is corrugated cardboard, newspaper, glass containers, and hard plastic containers.

It used to be an indicator that the box would be able to be opened without breaking out the laser cutter. And it's nice to put all the packaging trash in the recycle pile, cause my trash can is limited. But usually it's just cost savings for them, advertised as a benefit to us because they've got nothing better to say.

If the 2028 Xbox is still $500 after 15 years of serious inflation, it is aggressive for better and for worse (pressure to make money post sales, small harddrive and memory quantity, etc...), cutting the disk being probably by far the best way to make that much of a price cut possible.

Who would have predicted in 2013, that a 2028 console could launch with 2TB.

Between the 2006 to 2013 gen, they went from 60gb to 500GB or possibly not even 64 gb of ram

Ram
64->512->8000->16000

Storage
8->20/60->500/1000->1000->2000

In both case, speed over quantity has been the direction.

If the 2028 Xbox is still $500 after 15 years of serious inflation, it is aggressive for better and for worse (pressure to make money post sales, small harddrive and memory quantity, etc...), cutting the disk being probably by far the best way to make that much of a price cut possible.

Who would have predicted in 2013, that a 2028 console could launch with 2TB.

Between the 2006 to 2013 gen, they went from 60gb to 500GB or possibly not even 64 gb of ram

Ram
64->512->8000->16000

Storage
8->20/60->500/1000->1000->2000

In both case, speed over quantity has been the direction.

I think there is a confusion here. This is about 2024 (next year) die shrink to 6nm as TSMC is moving all 7nm customers to 6nm. This is effectively the same hardware as current series X but in 6nm.

The planned 2028 version is a real next gen console & price wouldn't have been fixed so early.

I think there is a confusion here. This is about 2024 (next year) die shrink to 6nm as TSMC is moving all 7nm customers to 6nm. This is effectively the same hardware as current series X but in 6nm.

The planned 2028 version is a real next gen console & price wouldn't have been fixed so early.
A ok make more sense, still good price for a 1tb upgrade.

Hm, guess I'll have to buy one soon if I want it... the disc drive for 4k bluray playback is a big feature to me.

I think I am good with my current sexbox which doesn't even get any use. Starfield was the only reason I turned it on in months and that too because the game is not available in UAE and I could change MS store in XSX and play it while I waited for my PC parts to arrive. Now even that reason is gone since I started the game on Steam. Not buying the box this time.

Also no mention of increased specs especially GPU or CPU?

Also no mention of increased specs especially GPU or CPU?
This is just a planned die shrink from 7nm to 6nm. No change in specs otherwise

There is a separate thread for next gen (planned around 2028)

Microsoft’s next Xbox, coming 2028, envisions hybrid computing​

Top Microsoft executives wanted to build a new hybrid cloud gaming platform. But are they still doing it?​

Those are the words on just one slide from a leaked presentation dubbed “The Next Generation of Gaming at Microsoft,” which appears to be a May 2022 pitch document entirely around this idea.

The team suggested it would need to ink partnerships with AMD for the silicon by the first quarter of this year to lock down the company’s Navi 5 graphics — for reference, we’re only on Navi 3 right now — as well as potentially nabbing the company’s Zen 6 CPU cores. (It’s also considering Arm.)
Microsoft suspected it would also need an NPU (machine learning AI coprocessor) to provide a wide variety of benefits, including super resolution, latency compensation, frame rate interpolation and more

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/19/23880138/microsoft-xbox-2028-hybrid-cloud-games-platform

View attachment 599733

More on the FTC leaks:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/19/...cuments-new-xbox-series-x-controller-next-gen

Back