6950X reviews on Amazon laughable

I highly doubt aNY CEO or vice president of marketing for AMD would spread false rumours of the performance of their product.

Private rumors about unreleased products with only broad assertions that have been publicly announced, there's really nothing binding in any of this. It'll come out in the wash when the product is available and not before however it turns out. It'd be great to see AMD with solid top end offerings, I think everyone wants for the competitive effect on pricing. But if AMD can go toe to toe with Intel or nVidia at the high end, I wouldn't expect to see AMD offerings really any cheaper. But it would help hold the line on future price bumps.

Private rumors about unreleased products with only broad assertions that have been publicly announced, there's really nothing binding in any of this. It'll come out in the wash when the product is available and not before however it turns out. It'd be great to see AMD with solid top end offerings, I think everyone wants for the competitive effect on pricing. But if AMD can go toe to toe with Intel or nVidia at the high end, I wouldn't expect to see AMD offerings really any cheaper. But it would help hold the line on future price bumps.

I guess you are not caught up with the news because they already did this with the rx 480 which caused nvidia to drop prices on the 980 ti by hundreds of dollars and with the immediate release of the gtx 1060. Shakes head

Revies have shown 6700k performs better with min and max frame rates with top end video cards vs broadwell-e .. broadwell-e is old technology hence why it wasn't even released as a desktop processor. The only reason skylake-e is not coming out sooner is located to give AMD a chance to catch up.

This is an old story. Once you get a game GPU bound, at least with DX 11 and OGL, the a good enough CPU doesn't make tangible differences. All I'm saying is that right now the only thing that would make a tangible overall difference in my sig rig gaming wise would be going from 2 1080s to 2 Titan X Ps. Again, I don't see you making any argument that's new or enlightening. I bought this setup for gaming and other things. Very happy with it overall. Windows 10 runs great, games are great, the only issue really is SLI and Surround quirkiness in combination with the latest drivers but no issues gaming at max settings and high frame rates and it should be fine well through next year.

I guess you are n oh the caught up with the news because they already did this with the rx 480 which caused nvidia to drop prices on the 980 ti by hundreds of dollars and with the immediate release of the gtx 1060. Shakes head

980 Ti was superseded by 1070/1080 so your argument of the effect of the 480 on the 980 Ti pricing doesn't make sense. And I was talking high end and right now AMD isn't in that game on either the GPU or CPU side.

This is an old story. Once you get a game GPU bound, at least with DX 11 and OGL, the a good enough CPU doesn't make tangible differences. All I'm saying is that right now the only thing that would make a tangible overall difference in my sig rig gaming wise would be going from 2 1080s to 2 Titan X Ps. Again, I don't see you making any argument that's new or enlightening. I bought this setup for gaming and other things. Very happy with it overall. Windows 10 runs great, games are great, the only issue really is SLI and Surround quirkiness in combination with the latest drivers but no issues gaming at max settings and high frame rates and it should be fine well through next year.
I hate to break the news to you but the 6950x is not made for gaming . Game programmers have not even implemented use of multiple cores in really any good game . The difference is negligible compared to a 6700k and when over clocked to 4.8 ghz no competition in games that use 4 cores. I am sure your 6950x is great for video pproduction that's about it really. By the time star citizen or any real good game is released that uses all 8 cores or 10 or more cores ,intel cannon lake will be released with 6-8 cores at the cost of what a 6700k is today. I give it 8-10 months from now

It's run all the games I've thrown at it with ease. You're arguing inconsequential margins at most.
Turn off your vsync buy a gsync monitor and try running all your games at 144hz athe 2560x1440.

I could run all my games too with ease at 60hz lol. Still skylake will have better IPC at min and max frame rates especially in GTAV .

980 Ti was superseded by 1070/1080 so your argument of the effect of the 480 on the 980 Ti pricing doesn't make sense. And I was talking high end and right now AMD isn't in that game on either the GPU or CPU side.
OK why you bring this up then . I just answered it .

So you still think skylake is slower than broadwell-e when gaming? I am taking about 99% of the title's out there right now
Can't wait for this reply

Last edited:
So you still think skylake is slower than broadwell-e when gaming? I am taking about 99% of the title's out there right now
Can't wait for this reply

I can't wait for Zen to launch, then having an 8 core chip will be mandatory for gaming.

I can't wait for Zen to launch, then having an 8 core chip will be mandatory for gaming.

I don't think most AMD users will pay its price (well if it is indeed competitive with the lowest end Haswell-E 6 core / 12 threaded CPU and thus has a ~$350 price tag). Current 8 core bulldozer CPUs are priced to compete with i5s (with an additional AMD discount) since that is the closest Intel CPU that matches the performance level.

Last edited:
Y
Do people actually expect these kinds of posts to be taken seriously?

Whats funny is your comment sounds like you are starting to troll someone.

I would say yes there is a huge market out there that AMD will tap into for consumers to purchase a 8 core processor almost as fast as skylake or better for 500-600 bucks

The crew at HotHardware attended an AMD press event that showed, among other things, a Summit Ridge processor pit against an Intel Extreme Edition Broadwell-E CPU (both clocked at 3GHz) running Blender and playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Hit the link for the complete rundown. You can see the demonstrations in the video below.

my 6950x is for sale

AMD says Zen CPU will outperform Intel Broadwell-E, delays release to 2017
Proper SMT, faster caches, 40% higher IPC. Does AMD have a monster on its hands?

SEBASTIAN ANTHONY (UK) - 8/18/2016, 7:02 AM

• This is not a Zen chip. I just included it because, well, the original AMD Athlon holds a special place in my heart. It's also the last time that AMD challenged Intel for the performance crown. Click through to the rest of the Zen slide deck.
    InF!

• Here are some semi-informative and rather vague slides on the Zen CPU architecture. Some of these details are old; some of them are new for August 2016.

AMD's new Zen CPU architecture has been officially delayed until "early 2017." The first Zen chips, which will be produced on a 14nm FinFET process, had originally been expected sometime in Q3 or Q4 2016.

At an event in San Francisco AMD also revealed a few more low-level details of Zen's architecture—and in a multithreaded Blender rendering demo showed that an 8-core/16-thread "Summit Ridge" Zen CPU outperformed an 8C/16T Broadwell-E CPU (presumably the Core i7-6900K) at the same clockspeed.

AMD showed off a dual-CPU Windows server setup using the 32-core/64-thread "Naples" enterprise-oriented Zen CPU at the same event, but didn't provide any kind of performance figures.

FURTHER READING
AMD slams “biased” and “unreliable” Intel benchmarks
Architecture-wise, we already know that Zen is a brand new design that corrects most of the mistakes made with AMD's line of Bulldozer-based CPU cores. Clustered multithreading (CMT) is out; simultaneous multithreading (SMT), which has been used to great effect by Intel, is in. We also knew that AMD planned to seriously beef up Zen's caching system (slow caches were one of the big reasons behind Bulldozer's poor performance).

Today, without getting into too much detail, AMD confirmed that desktop Zen parts will have a "new cache memory hierarchy with 8MB of L3 cache" with an enhanced pre-fetcher, a large unified L2 cache, and separate low-latency L1 instruction and data caches.

Enlarge

AMD had previously said it was targeting a 40 percent uplift in instructions-per-clock (IPC) performance over Excavator, the last core in the Bulldozer family; now the company has provided some harder figures on how it plans to get there: Zen has "enhanced branch prediction," plus "1.75x instruction scheduler window" width and "1.5x issue width and execution resources" over Excavator.

AMD also briefly discussed some design tweaks aimed at improving power consumption—"aggressive clock gating with multi-level regions"—but I imagine they will pale in comparison to the gains rendered by manufacturing Zen on a 14nm FinFET process (Excavator was stranded at planar 28nm bulk silicon).

FURTHER READING
AMD admits it can’t be “the cheaper solution,” will refocus on performance
AMD isn't yet discussing Zen's target clockspeed, but some leaked benchmarks last week purported to show an 8C/16T Zen engineering sample clocked at 2.8GHz base/3.2GHz turbo—which is pretty impressive when you consider that engineering samples are often clocked significantly lower than retail parts. I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but the benchmarks did appear to show pretty decent performance for the Zen chip.

It's also important to note that Zen will be AMD's only x86 CPU architecture moving forward: the company is doing away with its current bifurcated lineup of mobile (Bobcat, Jaguar, Puma) and desktop (Bulldozer, Piledriver, Excavator) CPU architectures. Much like with Intel's recent chips, it's safe to assume that AMD will have made some mobile-first design decisions with Zen.

We expect AMD will offer journalists a deeper dive into Zen in the next few weeks; we'll bring you more info when we have it.

This post originated on Ars Technica UK

Listing image by InF!

The crew at HotHardware attended an AMD press event that showed, among other things, a Summit Ridge processor pit against an Intel Extreme Edition Broadwell-E CPU (both clocked at 3GHz) running Blender and playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Hit the link for the complete rundown. You can see the demonstrations in the video below.

my 6950x is for sale

They ran it against a i7-6900K, which is the 8c/16t BW-E. And if you had a 6950X, you'd know that it was 10c/20t.

Let's see how that Zen OCs before we start... Oh, heck, I'll let The Wolf explain:

AMD has a deep, deep hole they need to dig themselves out of if they want to be competitive or trusted again. We shall see.

Back