6950X reviews on Amazon laughable

at least yall did not buy a 6950x and have a i7 920 in the box today :(

Last edited:
That's pretty rich coming from someone who takes to crapping on a product that's clearly not intended for them and includes other extremely crude, puerile comments in their post.

Are you sure you're thinking of me with this comment? I don't actually recall crapping on the product, or your choice of usage. Shit, I'm envious! I wish I had the dough to drop on a top-notch CPU. As for "not intended" for me, that's quite an assumption! Something tells me that much CPU would work great for me running VMs and doing dev work AND playing games ;-)

On the other hand, you keep saying it's not for gamers when it's clearly marketed to gamers, which is a bit odd on your part. Gaming is listed first on Intel's own marketing materials with regard to that CPU. "Whether you're gaming, exploring virtual reality, or creating fabulous content, the Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition gives you the computing power you need to do it beautifully". Their marketing materials are pretty unambiguous on that topic...

*shruggles*

As for crude and puerile, well, I did call you a dick and tell you that you need to bring at least one of your tits back down from their current state of highly agitated and, my point still stands, so I suppose there's that ;-)

Seriously though, are you ok? You seem really upset.

On the other hand, you keep saying it's not for gamers when it's clearly marketed to gamers, which is a bit odd on your part. Gaming is listed first on Intel's own marketing materials with regard to that CPU. "Whether you're gaming, exploring virtual reality, or creating fabulous content, the Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition gives you the computing power you need to do it beautifully". Their marketing materials are pretty unambiguous on that topic...

Not really sure why they wouldn't market it for gaming because it's clearly great at that if not the absolute fastest in single threaded performance. I mean, if I were to sawp my sig rig for a i7-6700k based one clocked at 4.8 Ghz, would it really make any real world difference in any game? At higher resolutions and settings modern games are going to become GPU bound well before CPU bound.

Not really sure why they wouldn't market it for gaming because it's clearly great at that if not the absolute fastest in single threaded performance. I mean, if I were to sawp my sig rig for a i7-6700k based one clocked at 4.8 Ghz, would it really make any real world difference in any game?

Sure, it makes sense to market to gamers, which is why I find it mystifying that anyone would ever claim that such a processor is not for gaming. Yea, actually, it totally is for gaming, among other things. As for whether it's somehow "better" for gaming than the lower end socket CPUs, I highly doubt it. I wouldn't mind having one of the HEDT units though since I do a lot of virtualization and ultra-heavy multi-tasking in a development context.

Sure, it makes sense to market to gamers, which is why I find it mystifying that anyone would ever claim that such a processor is not for gaming. Yea, actually, it totally is for gaming, among other things. As for whether it's somehow "better" for gaming than the lower end socket CPUs, I highly doubt it. I wouldn't mind having one of the HEDT units though since I do a lot of virtualization and ultra-heavy multi-tasking in a development context.

Not for gaming solely. That's the key point. If one is only going to game a 6950x doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm guessing that 90% of the people who buy a CPU that's more than whole topline laptops are in IT or some other tech field and who also are PC gamers. And they know exactly what they are doing. Virtualization is one of the reasons I got the 6950x and bumped up my memory for this rig from 32 to 64 GB.

I just think it's funny to see people in threads like this telling people who know what they are doing and why that they don't know what they are doing. Telling me that a 6950x doesn't have top end single threaded performance, do you really think people that bought this thing didn't know that? It's mentioned in ALL of the reviews. And what's also mentioned in the reviews is how great it is in multi-threaded tasks. Duh.

So not top end single threaded performance, still no where near slow though but blistering multi-threaded performance. Hmmm. Sounds like a great CPU for gaming AND virtualization.

Still hilarious. You guys bought a Ferrari. Stop rationalizing it by saying how great it is to commute in man. Just admit ya bought it cuz you can, you want it, chick magnet, and dammit, it's a Ferrari. That should be self explanatory.

Still hilarious. You guys bought a Ferrari. Stop rationalizing it by saying how great it is to commute in man. Just admit ya bought it cuz you can, you want it, chick magnet, and dammit, it's a Ferrari. That should be self explanatory.

Not sure when was the last time I bought something because I couldn't. I wanted a machine that was good at gaming and virtualization. Not really that hard to grasp.

Not sure when was the last time I bought something because I couldn't. I wanted a machine that was good at gaming and virtualization. Not really that hard to grasp.
what are you talking about? you can't virtualize anything on 10 cores. it's too much! /s

seriously tho, i'm interested in the longevity of these chips after Kyle's report of a degraded 6950x that no longer runs at 4.3ghz. the two times that has happened to my chips in the past it was after over a year of at-the-limit overclocking.

an i7 6700k performs better than any broadwell-e chip when it comes to MIN and max fps . Doesnt matter what GPU you have , its a known fact and has been proven . The broadwell-e was obsolete when it was released and is seriously overpriced for the IPC you are getting compared to skylake and the soon to be released kaby lake. IPC improvement will be somewhere 10-15% better than haswell/broadwell-e in gaming compared to kaby lake . Cant wait to upgrade.

i am sure the 6950x is great for video encoders, streamers, twitch, professional video editors etc. but 95% of us could care less until DX 12 programmers start implementing multiple cpu cores in their games. Ashes of singularity is one of the first games to fully use more than 4 cores. It will be another year before game developers start releasing multiple core games and this is one of the reasons why intel is moving to release not quad cpus but hexcore 6 core/8core processors as the mainstream . We will see quad cores go the way dual core are today with the pentium g325 by late 2018-2019.
until then multi core cpus more than 4 physical cores are a waste of money unless they are making you money on a daily basis.

Last edited:
more than 4 physical cores are a waste of money unless they are making you money on a daily basis.

I submit that your statement depends on perspective. Much like time, money whose expenditure is enjoyed, isn't necessarily wasted ;-)

Your not getting much out of that processor if you don't do anything with it that I mentioned

I submit that your statement depends on perspective. Much like time, money whose expenditure is enjoyed, isn't necessarily wasted ;-)

unless you like showing off cinebench scores and doing benchmarks. Yes time is money and if your chip saves you time having streaming on twitch while you encode and game then i would say get a broadwell-e chip.

However I think you would be better off just using 8 cores for 700 bucks less since it would seem there is not many programs out there that really take full advantage of it. Also it has been mentioned many times If you dont game you could easily build a older xenon server with dual processors with 20+ cores cheaper than a 6950x setup.

Intel is known to release top tier technology against AMD. Remember how the pentium 4 was the bomb because it was so cool to be the first at 3ghz or even overclocked at 4500mhz, i owned a vapor chill back in 2004 and could easily obtain these speeds . I dumped that processor When the Athlon 64 FX came out the IPC destroyed everything intel made until the core 2 duo was released and to this day intel has destroyed AMD when it comes to IPC hence why the stock has been sitting around 3-5 dollars a share for a decade vs 10+.

Once AMD releases the ZEN i hate to say it but anyone who owns a broadwell-e chip they might drop 500-700 bucks by the end of Q4 2016 . AMD will be pumping out cheap next gen 8 core cpus with comparable IPC to a intel haswell/broadwell-e chip with a lower TDP.

anyway this news was just released 9 hours ago.

"AMD has finally raised curtains on its early version of silicon for AMD's long-awaited Zen processor .The new processor with architecture promising super-low idle power is scheduled to hit markets before the end of the year.

Early versions of AMD Zen chips have already been circulated to a wide array of testers. These engineering specimens however are not fully symbolic of the chips that will be heading customer's way before year's end.

The highly anticipated new processor architecture has come forward as a result of many years of groundwork, and if things unwind according to plan, then AMD Zen should manage to take to take dominance in the long fought battle of desktop PC markets , that has been ruled by Intel's Core i line-up of desktop processors, for over the last half decade now. Customers who purchased AMD hardware in the past , and then felt left out are also looking forward to Zen for salvation. "Zen is alive, Zen is on track and we are extraordinarily excited." Said Lisa Su AMD CEO at the company's Computex press conference.

AMD has also started a sales campaign which might be the most successful since Henri Richard's famous campaign that took over more than 50% market share from Intel in in 4P and 8P enterprise markets

There are reportedly four different versions of the Zen CPU architecture at the moment. Two of them are full-on server style chips and the other two are desktop samples, quad-core, eight thread and eight-core, sixteen thread versions. With their foray in high-end desktop, workstation and server market Zen could be the Messiah the world of PC desperately awaits.

Advertisement
In terms of their cache configuration the quad-core chip is squaring 2MB of L2 and 8MB of L3 cache, while the octo-core Zen clouting a good 4MB and 16MB of L2 and L3 cache respectively. The thermal design point (TDP) of the two chips also looks satisfying, being reported as 95W for the octo-core and 65W for the quad-core".

again ZEN is rumored to be as fast as skylake

OUCH
straight from AMD
AMD’s upcoming high performance 14nm Zen CPUs are set to compete with Intel’s Skylake microarchitecture based processors on performance power efficiency and specs. It won’t be just a value play with a cheaper product assirted AMD’s John Taylor, head of Worldwide Marketing at the company. “Zen will compete with Intel on performance, power and specifications – not just price,” Taylor stated.

Read more: AMD : Zen Competes With Intel On Performance, Specs & Features Not Just Price - Launching Later This Year

Last edited:
unless you like showing off cinebench scores and doing benchmarks. Yes time is money and if your chip saves you time having streaming on twitch while you encode and game then i would say get a broadwell-e chip.

No argument, but money can also translate into enjoyment. If paying $1500 for a CPU brings a commensurate amount of pleasure to someone, then roll with it. I don't need the GTX980Ti I paid $700 for in order to play the games I play, but I sure do like having it! It makes me happy.

To your bit about AMD's new Zen stuff, I reserve judgement until release. AMD's marketing mouths have for a couple of years now consistently written checks their performance numbers can't cash.

OUCH
straight from AMD
AMD’s upcoming high performance 14nm Zen CPUs are set to compete with Intel’s Skylake microarchitecture based processors on performance power efficiency and specs. It won’t be just a value play with a cheaper product assirted AMD’s John Taylor, head of Worldwide Marketing at the company. “Zen will compete with Intel on performance, power and specifications – not just price,” Taylor stated.

Read more: AMD : Zen Competes With Intel On Performance, Specs & Features Not Just Price - Launching Later This Year

Sure, because everything AMD says about its own tech is obviously always true. And notice the point he made about price. So don't expect cheap parts that run great. They won't be significantly cheaper than Intel.

Sure, because everything AMD says about its own tech is obviously always true. And notice the point he made about price. So don't expect cheap parts that run great. They won't be significantly cheaper than Intel.

14nm is almost end of life. They have been working on 10nm chips for over a year. Only reason why intel hasn't released cannon lake is because they are waiting for AMD to catch up. So expect AMD Zen to be a lot cheaper. Intel will be releasing kaby lake aND skylake-e within 6 months. Zen will most likely be almost as fast as a 1st Gen skylake in terms of ipc.

They will milk the consumer like how companies have built LCD/LED panels for 10+ years because thesee sets are cheaper to make vs. 65" Plasma or OLED tv sets which are superior. They have it all figured out. Personally I think broadwell-e was a late arrival. People who bought the 5960x got their monies worth. ZEN will change the game

Last edited:
ZEN will change the game

Or it won't. At this point you really can't expect rational people to think much of an AMD CPU without the proof. I'd love to see AMD be competitive again in this space because that's obviously good for prices. So if Zen is good then sweet! If not no surprise.

Or it won't. At this point you really can't expect rational people to think much of an AMD CPU without the proof. I'd love to see AMD be competitive again in this space because that's obviously good for prices. So if Zen is good then sweet! If not no surprise.

I highly doubt AMD CEO would allow their marketing department to publicly announce lies in the. News to its shareholders. Expect 6950x to drop big time once Zen is out. 6-8 cores for 500.00 and as fast as skylake . Should overclock like a beast too 14nm ,lower tdp. I see AMD stock hitting 10+ a share like back in 2004-2006 when Athlon fx series was king..

Until Game developers take advantage of dx 12 then it might be hard to sell Zen. Only game I see taking advantage of multi cpu cores is star citizen.

I highly doubt AMD CEO would allow their marketing department to publicly announce lies in the.

I highly doubt anyone much believes AMD's marketing department when it comes to CPUs.

Expect 6950x to drop big time once Zen is out.

Ok. So? It's amazing how people like you seem think that people that have buying tech all of their life and now how quickly it depreciates somehow think that 1000th expensive thing they bought want do the same. Ok Zen is going to make the 6950x drop big time. So what? Where is that Zen? If it's all that I'll buy one if it's that cheap. I'm not made of money but $1700 on a CPU like once every five years? Seriously, that' not even lunch for that period time.

Heatlessun

I guess 6850x processor degradation is false huh ROFL

HardOCP MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM Review Taken Down

Late last night I decided to pull down our MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM Review so that I could re-evaluate some of our conclusions and results that I published. MSI thinks we were a bit off base in some of our testing, so I have the motherboard, the DIMMs, the video card, and the CPU used by Dan coming back into me at my office to see if I can replicate his results. Dan had some issues with running at Intel stock speeds that I want to further look into. That all said, both of our Intel Core i7-6950X processors seem to have some degradation issues when it comes to overclocked speeds. A new 6950X is on its way into me as well so we can test on that front too.

I have removed this review for now as I think we did not do some due diligence on our end correctly and have possibly not reported what I would call a "solid" motherboard review. I am pulling all the equipment and parts back into my offices to further investigate this motherboard. Once I figure out what all is going on, I will report back, but at this time I think we are dealing with an equipment failure on our end, and it is not an MSI issue.

so you think kaby lake is intels response to zen? When Zen is a 8 core processor

that makes sense lol

What does the core count matter? AMD's IPC is vastly below Intel's. Even if Zen actually does add +40% IPC over AMD's previous gen chip—which, by the way, seems a bridge too far—it's not going to match up with Kaby Lake, let alone Skylake or possibly even Broadwell.

I'm old enough to remember when Bulldozer was supposed to demolish Intel.

Zen most likely will not necessitate a response in the first place.

What does the core count matter? AMD's IPC is vastly below Intel's. Even if Zen actually does add +40% IPC over AMD's previous gen chip—which, by the way, seems a bridge too far—it's not going to match up with Kaby Lake, let alone Skylake or possibly even Broadwell.

I'm old enough to remember when Bulldozer was supposed to demolish Intel.

Zen most likely will not necessitate a response in the first place.

If you want a slow 8-core processor go snag an E5-2670 on ebay for $50.

Zen is supposed to be as fast as skylake.. So yeah it will have the performance and IPC on par with skylake while having 8 cores that will compete with broadwell

do some research and then come back with some concrete sources such as links and show us why Zen will not be as fast as haswell/broadwell.

geez

here i will show you how this works to back up your claim

AMD’s Zen should be performance parity with Intel’s Skylake, how far does it need to come?
May 23, 2016 Jeff Williams 5 Comments AMD, Summit Ridge, x86, Zen

AMD’s new CPU architecture, codenamed “Zen”, has been in development for couple of years and should be arriving in Q4 2016. Reports suggest the development started in 2012 lead by legendary CPU architect Jim Keller who built AMD’s K8 CPU architecture featuring first 64bit desktop CPU called “Athlon 64” which dominated Intel’s offerings at its time. Keller returned to AMD to help to develop a new architecture after AMD was struggling to compete with their disappointing Bulldozer architecture against Intel latest offerings. But what does Zen really means for AMD and its future?

AMD's Zen should be performance parity with Intel's Skylake, how far does it need to come? - Tech Altar

John Taylor is Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing at AMD based in Austin Texas. Last night on a flying visit to Australia he addressed a group of IT Journalists and gaming writers.

John has been at AMD since 2006 so I was somewhat stunned when he said with its 7th generation APU, its entirely new architectture Zen processors and new Radeon graphics processors (GPU) that it had finally caught up to, or surpassed Intel’s Skylake offerings. “Zen will compete with Intel on performance, power and specifications – not just price,” he said.

iTWire - AMD Zen will favourably compete with Intel Skylake

Last edited:
Zen is supposed to be as fast as skylake..

AMD has never stated this, only that Zen will have 40% higher IPC than Excavator. Speculation extrapolated from that insistence puts Zen in the same class as Broadwell, not Skylake. Personally, I find that AMD historically overstates performance of upcoming products.

You can use large font size to link all the guesswork you want, you have no actual facts to work from, and will not until Zen's possible release in Q42016 or Q12017.

AMD has never stated this, only that Zen will have 40% higher IPC than Excavator. Speculation extrapolated from that insistence puts Zen in the same class as Broadwell, not Skylake. Personally, I find that AMD historically overstates performance of upcoming products.

You can use large font size to link all the guesswork you want, you have no actual facts to work from, and will not until Zen's possible release in Q42016 or Q12017.

Straight from the mouth of John Taylor is Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing at AMD based in Austin Texas.

TRY AGAIN BUD

The facts are there. Also expect to see 32 core variants of Zen coming in 2017

again more facts

AMD's Naples Zen has 32 cores

btw intel has been working or has had 10nm cannon lake ready to go , however they are of course waiting for AMD to catch up and they will until cannon lake arrives

Straight from the mouth of John Taylor is Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing at AMD based in Austin Texas.

TRY AGAIN BUD

The facts are there. Also expect to see 32 core variants of Zen coming in 2017

A fact is a proven, checkable declaration. What you are doing is parroting a company line because you want it to be true. Since when does anyone on this forum, or anyone in their right mind, accept statements at face value? Let the reviews determine the better product, not corporate executive statements six months out from a release.

A fact is a proven, checkable declaration. What you are doing is parroting a company line because you want it to be true. Since when does anyone on this forum, or anyone in their right mind, accept statements at face value? Let the reviews determine the better product, not corporate executive statements six months out from a release.

I guess you dont get it..
The facts are there and AMD has already given exclusive details about the upcoming AMD Zen processor. It will be close to the speed of skylake. They are using the same marketing strategy with the RX 480 to lower the prices. This is why nvidia released the 1060 so quickly. When in history has Nvidia released the slower variant of the 1070 , 970 etc. AMD might not be as fast as intel but will be hella cheaper . If you own a broadwell-e expect the prices to drop alot by christmas.

AMD has to be the most-hyped company in tech, year after year. How do they do it?

AMD has to be the most-hyped company in tech, year after year. How do they do it?

making deals with console manufacturers ps4, xbox one.. Releasing 8 core chips back in 2012 to the consumer. Bragging about mantle how it was the next big thing in video games. Freesync vs gsync. etc.

The fact is the RX 480 has made last gen nvidia cards drop like a rock. They will soon take a chunk out of the processor market by releasing close to performance of a skylake or better performance of 5960x processor for half the price of current intel chips. Intel has had cannon lake ready to go a 10nm processor but refuses to release it ... why because they can be fined for monopoly abuse. I am sure these companies secretly talk about release dates of processors or make up stories why they should delay release dates in order to milk the consumer of money. Intel knows it cannot be a monopoly or attempt to put AMD out of business .

This is probably one of the reasons why AMD got the contract to put AMD chips in the PS4/Xbox one..

2016 will be a big year for AMD
oh more facts below even if it happen in 2009

Intel Fined Record $1.44B for Monopoly Abuse | Fox News

I guess you dont get it..
The facts are there and AMD has already given exclusive details about the upcoming AMD Zen processor. It will be close to the speed of skylake. They are using the same marketing strategy with the RX 480 to lower the prices. This is why nvidia released the 1060 so quickly. When in history has Nvidia released the slower variant of the 1070 , 970 etc. AMD might not be as fast as intel but will be hella cheaper . If you own a broadwell-e expect the prices to drop alot by christmas.

Facts are independently verifiable. AMD giving "exclusive details" to the entire country during a Superbowl half-time show would still have no bearing on the fact that such "details" are not facts until those claims are verifiable.

The fact is the RX 480 has made last gen nvidia cards drop like a rock.

I think your assertion that what you're saying is a fact isn't well-supported by pricing charts and, it ignores the additional correlation of price reductions of the last gen in relation to the release of the latest cards from the same vendor. Now, I'm not saying that RX-480's release would have had no effect, but there's a degree of over-confidence in your statements about the current strength of AMD's position (and their future) that just don't seem to be backed with clear data.

I want AMD to succeed as much as you claim they're going to as it would force better competition and pricing for all of us, but the last few years of AMD's over-boasting and under-delivery don't help their situation, imho.

History shows that there is a correlation between the release of the rx 480 and how amd will market Zen to the consumer. Amd marketing steadily shows they can still compete at a lower cost with near equal performance in the video card market and with Zen. In the end intel broadwell-e will drop big time by Christmas.

My over confidence is backed up by reliable sources which high level executives have released information to high level journalists. I highly doubt aNY CEO or vice president of marketing for AMD would spread false rumours of the performance of their product. Or charges would be filed by the FTC for securities fraud and market manipulation . I think you just need to come to the realization that AMD will be a player in the processor and video card market for 2016 and 2017 with Zen processor technology and Vega with HBM2

Not really sure why they wouldn't market it for gaming because it's clearly great at that if not the absolute fastest in single threaded performance. I mean, if I were to sawp my sig rig for a i7-6700k based one clocked at 4.8 Ghz, would it really make any real world difference in any game? At higher resolutions and settings modern games are going to become GPU bound well before CPU bound.

Reviewa have shown 6700k performs better with min and max frame rates with top end video cards vs broadwell-e .. broadwell-e is old technology hence why it wasn't even released as a desktop processor. The only reason skylake-e is not coming out sooner is located to give AMD a chance to catch up. Kaby lake will perform even better by christmas when it is released . Until multi core games are released i.e. star citizen then multi core cpus will be just as good as aNY quad processor. It will be another year until that happens where game programmers finally program for multi core use. By then why not just buy a 8 core cannon lake for 500.00

Back