6950X reviews on Amazon laughable

Anyone have any info how civ 6 will run on 6-8 cores? Looks like it might be another year before multi cpu gamestakr advantage of x99 hardware

Considering that the 5960X and the 8 core Zen will directly compete with each other that also means that the 8 core Zen will be in competition with the 6950X. The 6950X only offers ~3% of a performance advantage versus Haswell-E and specifically the 5960X so that may also force Intel to re-evaluate their price scheme and structure.

Perhaps, but the point of the 6950x is the 10 cores which do give it multi-threaded prowess. I'd certainly love to see Zen be competitive. But it looks like at best Zen will see limited availability this year.

Considering that the 5960X and the 8 core Zen will directly compete with each other that also means that the 8 core Zen will be in competition with the 6950X. The 6950X only offers ~3% of a performance advantage versus Haswell-E and specifically the 5960X so that may also force Intel to re-evaluate their price scheme and structure.
Only if AMD can actually gain market traction, and considering their history of a decade of market loss it'll take a miracle.

When will dx 12 games actually work well with a broadwell 6-10 cores

I see nothing in the next 6 months. Kabey lake will be out by then

Also intel just sent the processor to motherboard manufactures this week. New 200 series boards will be released soon

Again, no HEDT Kaby Lake parts in six months. I've seen the roadmaps as well. Laptops and mainstream desktop parts, i3's, Pentiums, no unlocked desktop parts until Q2 2017 and HEDT parts not until sometime after that.

Kaby Lake ships to PC builders

Will have faster IPC vs skylake and broadwell-e will be 3 generations behind until skylake-e and Canon lake is released in 2017 . So yeah kaby lake 7700k is coming by December which will be faster than skylake . I don't see any 6 core to 10 core chip really making good use in any game until Cannonlake arrives and by then skylake-e will be like the broadwell-e we see today. Slow as dirt for gaming. You should just call broadwell-e a haswell with slightly better efficiency. The IPC sucks for quad core gaming so yeah kaby lake will be here by black Friday earliest and might be on z170 or 200 series boards

Sure but your HEDT isn't going to pull more frames in games vs kaby lake. By the time cannon lake arrives in 2017 we will see 6- 8 core i7 for 400 bucks. I could care less about encoding 20-30 sec less which I never use vs having 15 more fps minimum and top end frame rate in games. Like I said earlier dx 12 games won the take advantage of multiple cores for at least another 6-12 months if we are lucky. So HEDT to 98% of us pc users is a chip with better IPC.. and yes 7700k is going to be released by December 2016 and would not be surprised if it can hit 4.8 to 5ghz stable on water. 14nm process has been proven that yields have gotten a lot better. This all the education you will receive tonight. Next time you reply provide sources or else you are forum troll

You seem to be having an argument with yourself. Anyone that bought a 6950x understand what it's about and not. Top single threaded execution wasn't the point and it's not like you're telling anyone that bought it something they didn't know. I'm very happy with this sig rig and it's not having any problem maxing out all the latest games in Surround and great framerates, even when SLI is being a bitch which is often the case especially with Surround. You don't buy this kind of stuff looking for "bang for the buck." That's never been the case and never will. But this thing will have plenty of power to drive top GPUs for years. Hell even my old x58 was crushing new games in Surround with just a single 1080.

You seem to be having an argument with yourself. Anyone that bought a 6950x understand what it's about and not. Top single threaded execution wasn't the point and it's not like you're telling anyone that bought it something they didn't know. I'm very happy with this sig rig and it's not having any problem maxing out all the latest games in Surround and great framerates, even when SLI is being a bitch which is often the case especially with Surround. You don't buy this kind of stuff looking for "bang for the buck." That's never been the case and never will. But this thing will have plenty of power to drive top GPUs for years. Hell even my old x58 was crushing new games in Surround with just a single 1080.

Again no source to back up your claims.

Again no source to back up your claims.

What claims am I making? That the 6950x plays games well? That people that by $1700 CPUs probably know what they are buying? That an x58 system with a single 1080P can play modern games well at high resolutions and settings? Really don't need any sources for obvious stuff.

Perhaps, but the point of the 6950x is the 10 cores which do give it multi-threaded prowess. I'd certainly love to see Zen be competitive. But it looks like at best Zen will see limited availability this year.

Here's to hoping it achieves 85% of the performance for 1/3 the price. That will hopefully push intel to price more realistically and adjust. But honestly that's a tall order I think.

Here's to hoping it achieves 85% of the performance for 1/3 the price. That will hopefully push intel to price more realistically and adjust. But honestly that's a tall order I think.

I'm thinking if AMD could hit 85% the price would be a lot higher than that. AMD doesn't really undersell when they have the product to back it up. Maybe a little, but not like this. But yes, that would be a good thing.

Sure but your HEDT isn't going to pull more frames in games vs kaby lake. By the time cannon lake arrives in 2017 we will see 6- 8 core i7 for 400 bucks. I could care less about encoding 20-30 sec less which I never use vs having 15 more fps minimum and top end frame rate in games. Like I said earlier dx 12 games won the take advantage of multiple cores for at least another 6-12 months if we are lucky. So HEDT to 98% of us pc users is a chip with better IPC.. and yes 7700k is going to be released by December 2016 and would not be surprised if it can hit 4.8 to 5ghz stable on water. 14nm process has been proven that yields have gotten a lot better. This all the education you will receive tonight. Next time you reply provide sources or else you are forum troll

You consider an HEDT chip to be an LGA1151 quad core?? That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I have an i7-6700K...I call it my Hobby Farm Gaming system. I use it to play with, to try new apps and games on, and to gain platform experience and knowledge. The most I've done with it recently was to steal its memory to diagnose an issue I was having on my X99E-iTX/ac system (I returned the memory once I solved the issue). It's a toy I built for the fun of it and is also a functioning repository of spare parts...nothing more.

Kaby Lake-X will most likely be released during Computex 2017...aka end of Q217. Considering that it'll be running on the same LGA2066 platform as Skylake-X and W, it makes perfect sense to launch everything together at Computex.

The refresh for the i7-6700K (the LGA1151 i7-7700K) is a separate chip entirely and will probably drop sometime later this year, along with the 200 series chipsets.

You consider an HEDT chip to be an LGA1151 quad core?? That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I have an i7-6700K...I call it my Hobby Farm Gaming system. I use it to play with, to try new apps and games on, and to gain platform experience and knowledge. The most I've done with it recently was to steal its memory to diagnose an issue I was having on my X99E-iTX/ac system (I returned the memory once I solved the issue). It's a toy I built for the fun of it and is also a functioning repository of spare parts...nothing more.

Kaby Lake-X will most likely be released during Computex 2017...aka end of Q217. Considering that it'll be running on the same LGA2066 platform as Skylake-X and W, it makes perfect sense to launch everything together at Computex.

The refresh for the i7-6700K (the LGA1151 i7-7700K) is a separate chip entirely and will probably drop sometime later this year, along with the 200 series chipsets.

Tell me which HEDT beats a 6700k in gaming? none. why you arguing with me? I already mentioned the release dates earlier for all these chips ...can you not read?

The only person that needs a broadwell-e is a professional /job money maker for his or her work. Other than that any multi core chip will suck in gaming its a known fact. You act like the 6700k is inferior to a multi core setup. LOL maybe you will be correct in 15 months from now but until then intel plans on releasing 6-8 core for 400 bucks when cannonlake comes into light in late 2017. So until games take advantage of 6-10 cores processing I would think 6700k can accomplish practically 95 percent of the work load for 4 times cheaper.

Better off buying a titan X Pascal vs buying any multi core processor over 6 cores unless you need it for professional work. PCIE lanes are also a thing of the past. Looking forward to skylake refreash in 2-3 months the IPC will blow anything out of the water when overclocked when it comes to gaming. When the HEDT chips become superior in DX 12 i will consider it HEDT. Until then i would think 90 percent of the overclocking/computer builders will tell you that broadwell-e is overpriced POS

Tell me which HEDT beats a 6700k in gaming? none. why you arguing with me? I already mentioned the release dates earlier for all these chips ...can you not read?

The only person that needs a broadwell-e is a professional /job money maker for his or her work. Other than that any multi core chip will suck in gaming its a known fact. You act like the 6700k is inferior to a multi core setup. LOL maybe you will be correct in 15 months from now but until then intel plans on releasing 6-8 core for 400 bucks when cannonlake comes into light in late 2017. So until games take advantage of 6-10 cores processing I would think 6700k can accomplish practically 95 percent of the work load for 4 times cheaper.

Better off buying a titan X Pascal vs buying any multi core processor over 6 cores unless you need it for professional work. PCIE lanes are also a thing of the past. Looking forward to skylake refreash in 2-3 months the IPC will blow anything out of the water when overclocked when it comes to gaming. When the HEDT chips become superior in DX 12 i will consider it HEDT. Until then i would think 90 percent of the overclocking/computer builders will tell you that broadwell-e is overpriced POS

For the last time, we...don't...care...how...the...i7-6950X...performs...in...games!! Games aren't the be all and end all performance determiner!! Games seem to be the only metric by which YOU gauge CPU performance. The rest of us care about the fact that while the i7-6950X may not the fastest single-threaded performer, it's plenty fast enough in single-threaded tasks while bringing enough multi-threaded power to make the i7-6700K look like a cheap child's toy. Do I act like the i7-6700K is inferior? Absolutely I do, because it is (at least for my computing needs). If the mainstream CPU is good enough for your needs, great...I'm really happy for you. I can easily throw enough tasks at the i7-6700K to bring it to its knees, where the i7-6950X just smiles and keeps on effortlessly mowing through whatever you throw at it with hardly any indication the damn thing is even under load (aside from the spooling up cooling fans).

Did you even read that release? It says clearly that the processor is meant for "mega-tasking" and that gaming "isn't about just playing anymore". The release refers to gaming in the context of live-streaming and content creation while gaming and is not touting the processor's gaming ability.

Yea, I did read it:

"Gamers are continually raising the bar, driving their systems to its limits. Now they can push their systems even harder, reaching new heights in performance and overall experience. That’s what the Intel Core i7 processor Extreme Edition is about. And with our new Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, applications are steered to the highest-performing core, giving single-threaded experiences a huge performance boost."

"gamers can immerse themselves in unbelievably vivid 4K gameplay while sharing the experience live with their community – without slowing down or looking back."

You can cherry pick the release all you like, but it's clearly targeting gamers (among other users such as gamers who stream,VR gamers, and gamers who are "mega-tasking" :rolleyes: )

For the last time, we...don't...care...how...the...i7-6950X...performs...in...games!! Games aren't the be all and end all performance determiner!! Games seem to be the only metric by which YOU gauge CPU performance. The rest of us care about the fact that while the i7-6950X may not the fastest single-threaded performer, it's plenty fast enough in single-threaded tasks while bringing enough multi-threaded power to make the i7-6700K look like a cheap child's toy. Do I act like the i7-6700K is inferior? Absolutely I do, because it is (at least for my computing needs). If the mainstream CPU is good enough for your needs, great...I'm really happy for you. I can easily throw enough tasks at the i7-6700K to bring it to its knees, where the i7-6950X just smiles and keeps on effortlessly mowing through whatever you throw at it with hardly any indication the damn thing is even under load (aside from the spooling up cooling fans).

Who is "we"? You can make make claims all day about who you think the 6950x is intended for and you might even be right. but you're also being a dick about it. You've already managed to contradict yourself in the span of one post. Seriously, you need to massage your mammary and bring that calmed tit to the table. You're gonna bust a blood vessel!

are you still trying to justify your overpriced processor purchase? Because a skylake processor at 4.8 ghz will work faster for 99% of the tasks you can can do on your processor that is 4x more expensive. Unless your processor is making you money and you are a hardcorp video editor than skylake is the way to go

once DX 12 games and developers finally make use of multi core processing then i will have respect for HEDT processor. Broadwell-e ... until then sounds like the programmers could care less and want us to stick to dual SLI 1080s and higher IPC processors . Maybe in 12 months games will take advantage of broadwell-e but as you know you should just call the broadwell a haswell with a few watts better efficiency. THe IPC on broadwell sucks compared to skylake. Also by the time Skylake-e comes out or whatever it will be called for the next HEDT processor. Cannon lake will be released with 8 cores for 400-500 bucks this will be the new quad cpu core line. Intel is doing away with 4 cores with cannon lake and can only assume 10nm and omg it will blow away skylake-e. cant wait . until then I am building a kaby lake processor for blackfriday and will not look back at any HEDT processor. I could care less about adobe premier, encoding, saving 20 sec on winRAR, and people bragging about cinabench and physics scores ROFL.
HEDT processors are a joke and until programmers get off their ass and get educated how to make games using multi threaded cores then I could care less. In fact i bet we wont see multi threaded gaming until the playstation 5 is released since all console ports are coming to the PC where as PC used to be the primary system for gaming back in 90s and early 2000s. Hurry up Chris Roberts and show us star citizen and why its so much better to own 10 cores vs quad core.

hope you guys like this rant lol

Last edited:
Yea, I did read it:

"Gamers are continually raising the bar, driving their systems to its limits. Now they can push their systems even harder, reaching new heights in performance and overall experience. That’s what the Intel Core i7 processor Extreme Edition is about. And with our new Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, applications are steered to the highest-performing core, giving single-threaded experiences a huge performance boost."

"gamers can immerse themselves in unbelievably vivid 4K gameplay while sharing the experience live with their community – without slowing down or looking back."

You can cherry pick the release all you like, but it's clearly targeting gamers (among other users such as gamers who stream,VR gamers, and gamers who are "mega-tasking" :rolleyes: )

The purpose of that release is to inform gamers that the processor isn't going to compromise their gaming experience amd that it offers them the ability to do a great deal more tasks simultaneously WHILE gaming, such as streaming, encoding, etc...

Who is "we"? You can make make claims all day about who you think the 6950x is intended for and you might even be right. but you're also being a dick about it. You've already managed to contradict yourself in the span of one post. Seriously, you need to massage your mammary and bring that calmed tit to the table. You're gonna bust a blood vessel!

Are you simple or something? "We" refers to those of us who have purchased the i7-6950X. Being a dick about it? Hardly. That's pretty rich coming from someone who takes to crapping on a product that's clearly not intended for them and includes other extremely crude, puerile comments in their post. Others harp continually on the processor's performance in games, games and games, bitching and moaning about the fact that it's not the fastest gaming processor and that because of this fact it's a waste of money. I know very well who this processor is intended for. You haven't seemed to figure it out yourself, however. Just accept the fact that it's not intended for you and move on. It'll be much easier for all concerned this way.

are you still trying to justify your overpriced processor purchase? Because a skylake processor at 4.8 ghz will work faster for 99% of the tasks you can can do on your processor that is 4x more expensive. Unless your processor is making you money and you are a hardcorp video editor than skylake is the way to go

I sure as to hell don't need to justify my purchase to you or anyone else. Skylake may be the way to go...for YOU...but it isn't for me. If your happy with the mainstream chips, great. They don't meet everyone's needs, however, so rather than crapping on the i7-6950X because it's not the top gaming chip, just accept the fact that it's not intended for you and move on. It may be a waste of money for YOUR usage pattern, but for others, it's a godsend and well worth the money.

once DX 12 games and developers finally make use of multi core processing then i will have respect for HEDT processor. Broadwell-e ... until then sounds like the programmers could care less and want us to stick to dual SLI 1080s and higher IPC processors . Maybe in 12 months games will take advantage of broadwell-e but as you know you should just call the broadwell a haswell with a few watts better efficiency. THe IPC on broadwell sucks compared to skylake. Also by the time Skylake-e comes out or whatever it will be called for the next HEDT processor. Cannon lake will be released with 8 cores for 400-500 bucks this will be the new quad cpu core line. Intel is doing away with 4 cores with cannon lake and can only assume 10nm and omg it will blow away skylake-e. cant wait . until then I am building a kaby lake processor for blackfriday and will not look back at any HEDT processor. I could care less about adobe premier, encoding, saving 20 sec on winRAR, and people bragging about cinabench and physics scores ROFL.
HEDT processors are a joke and until programmers get off their ass and get educated how to make games using multi threaded cores then I could care less. In fact i bet we wont see multi threaded gaming until the playstation 5 is released since all console ports are coming to the PC where as PC used to be the primary system for gaming back in 90s and early 2000s. Hurry up Chris Roberts and show us star citizen and why its so much better to own 10 cores vs quad core.

hope you guys like this rant lol

That's fine and since your computing usage pattern is pure gaming, this strategy will work for you. Again, others have different needs and will choose different products to meet their specific needs.

I keep seeing people posting about the 6950x being a nice Intel processor for a workstation due to... overclocking? I have stepbrothers that do PC work using workstations, one that does flight simulators, another that does game design. I've never seen their shops, "overclock" a workstation meant to be used for work environments, so how does that factor into anything? If anyone overclocks it's going to be a enthusiast who wants even more juice out of the chip. How is this chip aimed at Workstations? Not a single one they use, has a straight up, Intel CPU in them. Someone mentioned no one uses a AMD chip in a workstation but I've seen a lot of Opteron work stations that worked really well, as well as a lot of Xeon workstations. I've never seen a Intel Multi-Core CPU home consumer chip in a Workstation computer, nor a AMD Multicore home user chip in one. So really? The 6950x isn't aimed at gamers and yet it is not a Xeon, then who is the chip aimed at? It is overclockable, gets a very large number of frames in video games, is really great for multi-media, but it's aimed at work computers? I wouldn't mind getting one, but it is way above my pay grade.

The purpose of that release is to inform gamers that the processor isn't going to compromise their gaming experience amd that it offers them the ability to do a great deal more tasks simultaneously WHILE gaming, such as streaming, encoding, etc...

ok skylake 6700k is still a better gaming processor .
Are you simple or something? "We" refers to those of us who have purchased the i7-6950X. Being a dick about it? Hardly. That's pretty rich coming from someone who takes to crapping on a product that's clearly not intended for them and includes other extremely crude, puerile comments in their post. Others harp continually on the processor's performance in games, games and games, bitching and moaning about the fact that it's not the fastest gaming processor and that because of this fact it's a waste of money. I know very well who this processor is intended for. You haven't seemed to figure it out yourself, however. Just accept the fact that it's not intended for you and move on. It'll be much easier for all concerned this way.

lol you and your 48 yo friend is so funny.

I sure as to hell don't need to justify my purchase to you or anyone else. Skylake may be the way to go...for YOU...but it isn't for me. If your happy with the mainstream chips, great. They don't meet everyone's needs, however, so rather than crapping on the i7-6950X because it's not the top gaming chip, just accept the fact that it's not intended for you and move on. It may be a waste of money for YOUR usage pattern, but for others, it's a godsend and well worth the money.

you keep justifying it which is funny, but we all know your processor sucks when it comes to gaming

That's fine and since your computing usage pattern is pure gaming, this strategy will work for you. Again, others have different needs and will choose different products to meet their specific needs.

tell me again whats so special about your processor? I think you need to justify more in detail because all the professional reviews i have seen , the processor aint worth it

I keep seeing people posting about the 6950x being a nice Intel processor for a workstation due to... overclocking? I have stepbrothers that do PC work using workstations, one that does flight simulators, another that does game design. I've never seen their shops, "overclock" a workstation meant to be used for work environments, so how does that factor into anything? If anyone overclocks it's going to be a enthusiast who wants even more juice out of the chip. How is this chip aimed at Workstations? Not a single one they use, has a straight up, Intel CPU in them. Someone mentioned no one uses a AMD chip in a workstation but I've seen a lot of Opteron work stations that worked really well, as well as a lot of Xeon workstations. I've never seen a Intel Multi-Core CPU home consumer chip in a Workstation computer, nor a AMD Multicore home user chip in one. So really? The 6950x isn't aimed at gamers and yet it is not a Xeon, then who is the chip aimed at? It is overclockable, gets a very large number of frames in video games, is really great for multi-media, but it's aimed at work computers? I wouldn't mind getting one, but it is way above my pay grade.

Yea, ugh you hit on something there that some don't want to admit. It's for
epeen

Wow, I didn't know that because it's not technically a "Xeon" that it can't be used for workstation tasks. Everyone using them for workstation tasks should stop using them immediately. Oh, and I'll have to stop gaming on my Xeon...can't be gaming on a "Xeon" because it's a workstation chip right? The i7-6950X provides ample performance for ALL tasks, not just one.

ok skylake 6700k is still a better gaming processor .
I don't care. If you gamed on an i7-6700K and then on an overclocked i7-6950X, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

you keep justifying it which is funny, but we all know your processor sucks when it comes to gaming

I don't have to justify shit to you. My i7-6950X owns your processor in all metrics that matter to me.

tell me again whats so special about your processor? I think you need to justify more in detail because all the professional reviews i have seen , the processor aint worth it

Trying to educate you about a topic that's clearly way beyond you is a very inefficient use of my time...;)

you would tell when it comes to minimum and maximum frame rates in GTA V with a GTX 1080
Skylake pulls ahead of broadwell /haswell when even overclocked at 4.6ghz

let me guess you are going to reply back that you have several things going in the background while you game too huh ROFL

you would tell when it comes to minimum and maximum frame rates in GTA V with a GTX 1080
Skylake pulls ahead of broadwell /haswell when even overclocked at 4.6ghz

let me guess you are going to reply back that you have several things going in the background while you game too huh ROFL

LOL! You're funny. For some reason you think you telling people about stuff that they are perfectly aware of. Do you really think that my sig rig is struggling to play games maxed out? Again, you're beyond funny.

I'll smoke a skylake any day of the week as well. Broadwell-E will hold better min fps.

Back