• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6950 XFX in crossfire overheating

Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
1,003
So I just picked up another 6950 since the frame pacing driver came out.

I have a gigabyte EX58-UD3R v1.6 motherboard, so the top PCIe slot is only two slots away, so it's a tight fit.

The result is that the top card (switched them both into the top slot), routinely hits >100c in gaming.

I took time to clean out the entire case today it's a cooler master ATSC 840, so it'a big case with a lot of space an a lot of fans. It is now dust free, and the power supply is modular and has it's cables tucked away neatly. But I fear the issue is still getting air to that top card.

Any good recomendations on how to solve this problem? Is crossfire just not possible with this motherboard? Anyone want to buy two 6950s?
 
The case doesn't have mountings a side fan, there is plenty of room inside the enclosure though.

I looked for a fan assembly that can mount to the cards directly, but didn't find anything in the time I took to look.
 
Hello, what model 6950 is it? if its the black central fan I might be able to get you a replacement free of charge. It sounds like airflow could be an issue, but a simple 1/4'' gap has been shown in the past to be sufficient. Thanks

695a- xxxx reference
695x-xxxx XFX/replacement fans available.
 
Hello, what model 6950 is it? if its the black central fan I might be able to get you a replacement free of charge. It sounds like airflow could be an issue, but a simple 1/4'' gap has been shown in the past to be sufficient. Thanks

695a- xxxx reference
695x-xxxx XFX/replacement fans available.

I actually have two separate models, one is a HD-695X-ZNFC, the other is a HD-695X-ZDDC.

It doesn't seem to matter with the orientation weather the ZNFC is on top or the ZDDC is on top either way the uppermost one that has the blocked fan intake will get to 100c running 3D Mark or playing a demanding game.
 
Perhaps it's the 13.8 beta drivers. AMD just released 13.8 beta 2 drivers which fixed this problem,

CrossFire configurations (when used in combination with Overdrive) can result in the secondary GPU usage running at 99%

Maybe not the issue, but I read that and thought of this thread!
 
Hello, Is there any airgap at all? both fans failling is really rare. Ive heard of people adding a ball of electrical tape to add a gap when necessary. Do both cards fail when running Furmark 15min Burn In by themselves? 1 card at a time?
 
Hello, Is there any airgap at all? both fans failling is really rare. Ive heard of people adding a ball of electrical tape to add a gap when necessary. Do both cards fail when running Furmark 15min Burn In by themselves? 1 card at a time?

I'll do some testing and report back.

I think I might need to do something to add a gap to the cards. I believe each card individually is 100% stable, but I do need to verify that.

I had the HD-695X-ZNFC for a couple years, and never had any issues with it. The HD-695X-ZDDC I just bought used, and I know has a fan that is going out on it, but it seems to be thermally stable as long as it's in the clean air.
 
Got the replacement cooler for the HD-695X-ZDDC and stuck it on last night. Temps still get over 90c, but seem to level out around 94-95c without throttling the GPUs.

If I alt-tab out and back in, though the second gpu never spins back up.
 
Back
Top