5970s pulled off the shelves or shortages?

Motley

2[H]4U
Wow nobody has them now, newegg, zzz, tigerdirect, they all removed the 5970s. Wonder if ATI is going back to the drawing board, because of some of the issues, or bad fans, or just shortages?

Good thing I'm waiting until Feb, I was looking to get the 5970. Hmm, maybe I'll wait for fermi.

I hate when these dumbasses (ATI) come out with new cards and they never have enough at launch.

Blame Christmas for creating excess demand (thus depleting supply), as well as driving prices up. Financially, a terrible holiday for the hardware consumer.

I fully expect them to be back at MSRP levels by January.

TSMC have production problems with the 40nm waifers, it effects all cards using these cores. In the UK there are no 5970s and there is practically no 5870s and prices are through the roof because of it.

I dont think the fan issues and things like that are common enough for a recall, the card itself is a damn good product if you can get a reasonably priced one like I did £443 in the UK, CHA-CHING!

What PF said. I read an article awhile back about the whole TSMC debacle. As I recall, some piece of equipment in the assembly line was out of calibration which was in turn making bad cards. They said normally something like that is caught within 24 hours at most and shouldn't have happened at all... but in this case it was allowed to go by weeks without anyone noticing... Almost reeks of sabotage if you ask me.

So, in a nutshell, blame TSMC for the shortages.

TSMC have production problems with the 40nm waifers, it effects all cards using these cores. In the UK there are no 5970s and there is practically no 5870s and prices are through the roof because of it.

I dont think the fan issues and things like that are common enough for a recall, the card itself is a damn good product if you can get a reasonably priced one like I did £443 in the UK, CHA-CHING!

Last edited:
ETA:12/21/2009

did you even care to click on one of the products ?

They're getting an unspecified number of one brand of the card in 3 days? You've enlightened me, there is no shortage and this thread is unnecessary.

AMD has specifically told us that it greatly underestimated the demand for the 5970. It owned up to being at fault for low/no stock issues.

i missed that shortage part but whatever this thread is full of fail its tmsc problem that we all know about . yields are very low and they expect to get back to normal in 1 or 2 months so blaming ati is probably dumbest thing ever lol

Hey kyle, any word on when eyefinity and crossfire will work together? I finally ordered my 3 new monitors and stand, but i'm holding off on a 2nd card until they have drivers out or i find a 5970.

I am going to be laughing in march at the fanbois having to have the shoe on the other foot. if TSMC is having issues with a moderate size gpu now lets hope they have their bugs worked out before they try a large and super complex gpu

I do have to wonder just what AMD was thinking. they had to have seen all those people shell out 650 for the 280GTX when it came out. I wonder why this was such a surprise

I saw plenty of 5970s and 5870s today in bricks and mortar stores in Tottenham Court Road, London but you would have to pay the TCR tax. :D The 5970s were going for a cool £599 !!! I saw multiple brands on the shelves, in stock.

I was looking for a simple displayport cable for my eyefinity setup though and there wasn't a single cable anywhere in the street. Most shops just met me with a blank stare. They were selling displayport GPU's and displayport displays, I don't know what the frigging problem is trying to get a simple 2 metre cable with displayport on each end but it's certainly rarer than a 5970, that's for sure.

I have been waiting for the standard XFX 5970, but I haven't seen a single one in stock at places like newegg.com for over 2 weeks. There must be something going on if XFX 5870s are almost always in stock right now, but no 5970s to be seen.:mad:

Tiger did have 5970's in stock, but with the 12.8% cashback they went fast.

That is MAJOR news :eek: Crossfire + Eyefinity finally enabled and working ? I thought that wasn't due until like February or so ?

So I can buy a 2nd 5870, plug it into my Asus X48 motherboard, and get Crossfire to work in WoW, and all my other games to help push this extreme 5760x1200res ?

Still think the best Crossfire setup would be 2 Eyefinity-6 cards, that come stock with 2gb memory on each card. Two of those would give 4gb memory, and would be wicked in Crossfire for extreme high res + high AA/AF.

That is MAJOR news :eek: Crossfire + Eyefinity finally enabled and working ? I thought that wasn't due until like February or so ?

So I can buy a 2nd 5870, plug it into my Asus X48 motherboard, and get Crossfire to work in WoW, and all my other games to help push this extreme 5760x1200res ?

Still think the best Crossfire setup would be 2 Eyefinity-6 cards, that come stock with 2gb memory on each card. Two of those would give 4gb memory, and would be wicked in Crossfire for extreme high res + high AA/AF.

Yeah, as soon as eyefinity works in 2-card crossfire.

I have been waiting for the standard XFX 5970, but I haven't seen a single one in stock at places like newegg.com for over 2 weeks. There must be something going on if XFX 5870s are almost always in stock right now, but no 5970s to be seen.:mad:

I wouldn't suggest XFX 5970 if you want to have DiRT 2 coupon, they remove all DiRT 2 for their 5970 series...

I got myself a ASUS 5970 few days ago on newegg, and UPS mess up my shipping so it estimate to arrive on monday :mad:

Yes you can use crossfire on your Asus X48 w/ a second 5870. (We have the same mobo, how nice :p)

No, two 2gb cards does not equal 4gb in crossfire, the 2gbs are shared (so still 2gb total).

i missed that shortage part but whatever this thread is full of fail its tmsc problem that we all know about . yields are very low and they expect to get back to normal in 1 or 2 months so blaming ati is probably dumbest thing ever lol

I think if you look at all the 5800s in the channel right now, you can't blame TSMC for a shortage on 5900.

Also we were told today that AMD is releasing raw GPUs in large quantities to partners now so we will see a lot more than ref cards built by AMD soon. AMD seemed really happy with XFX' efforts there.

Hey kyle, any word on when eyefinity and crossfire will work together? I finally ordered my 3 new monitors and stand, but i'm holding off on a 2nd card until they have drivers out or i find a 5970.

I will be perfectly honest with you, I did not know that was supported till reading this thread. Amazingly enough, AMD has never mentioned this to me and I had not read the notes. :eek:

Yes you can use crossfire on your Asus X48 w/ a second 5870. (We have the same mobo, how nice :p)

No, two 2gb cards does not equal 4gb in crossfire, the 2gbs are shared (so still 2gb total).

Really ? I thought having two Eyefinity-6 cards that each have 2gb memory on the card would equal 4gb ? Anyways, this Eyefinity-6 card is not even for sale yet, just vaporware.

Its shortages because AMD has only managed to ship 300,000 58xx gpus in 3 months.

Interesting, now i can order a 2nd card and not feel bad about it. Any idea if you can run crossfire eyefinity on 3 monitors using 2 dvi from 1 card and 1 dvi from the 2nd card? And if you can use a 4th monitor as a standalone monitor on the 4th dvi connection? Ideally i'd like to run a 3x1 eyefinity setup and a 4th monitor for web surfing.

I got a 5970 on launch day and then another 5970 pre-order arrived sooner than expected from amazon.com. I think that the tight binning on the cypress chips that need to run on low voltages as well as TMSC 40nm issues are making it tougher to find 5970s in stock. It's a sweet video card if you can get it though and now with this new 9.12 hotfix driver, I think we will really see it begin to shine.

you guys have to remember the GPU's used on the 5970's are all hand picked GPU's.. thus the supply is going to be much lower then the 5870's and lower cards..

AMD/ATI make more money on the 5870 chips and like others have said the 5970 is binned for running at lower voltages. Probably won't see a steady supply until next year.

I can't speak for the US only for the UK, but even now there is a mass shortage of 58xx and 5970 cards, there is no UK etailers which stock any of these cards, so I can't see how AMD can say it was their mis-calculation for 5970 demand that caused the shortage, even if they had planned for more we'd not see more on the shelves. Maybe you're swimming in the 5850 and 5870 cards over in the US but that certainly isn't the case here.

The whole eyefinity + crossfire thing is just for the "hotfix" drivers I think, I dont think it was released in the WHQL certified ones, it's nothing official but I bet AMD got it working stable enough recently and dont have enough time to WHQL them for xmas so basically released a beta for it, just a guess.

we arent swimming in them.. but theres a steady low quanitity supply.. the fry's here on avg gets about 50 cards per manufacture for the 5870/5850's every week.. not sure about the 5970's though.. the sapphires tend to last the longest.. XFX's are usually gone in the first 2-3 days..

Ok Kyle, it's been 3days now I DEMA errr... REQUI errr... BEG you for an updated Review /w X-Fire!! :D

or just plain updated review with more mature drivers ;) I hope it'd improve 5970 performance quite a bit.

i got my xfx 5770 at microcenter they had about 6 left and 4 or so of the asus brand. no 5850 or 5870s though........no nvidia 260s or 275s.

my ASUS 5970 just arrived...

:p

anyway, it seems 5970 is more rare than 5870 somehow (when just launch)

I guess it is true that ATI never expected 5970 to be such high demand

Last edited:
Does anyone know where an XFX 5970 is selling for $630 or less? I can't find anything and its been over 2 weeks now.

They should add another gpu on the board and sell it for 600-800 Tri-fire gpu card. Call it the 5990 Ultra Extreme Edition :)

They should add another gpu on the board and sell it for 600-800 Tri-fire gpu card. Call it the 5990 Ultra Extreme Edition :)

for one, the dually already is selling for that price... and for another, unless they plan on putting the 3rd gpu on a daughter card, that pixel bazooka wouldn't fit in anyone's PC. ;)

Back