5970s pulled off the shelves or shortages?

Blame Christmas for creating excess demand (thus depleting supply), as well as driving prices up. Financially, a terrible holiday for the hardware consumer.

I fully expect them to be back at MSRP levels by January.

and this is the reason i cannot complete my friggen build. Because the damn Prices are 2 high. I really hope for a price drop sometime in the future

my ASUS 5970 just arrived...

:p

anyway, it seems 5970 is more rare than 5870 somehow (when just launch)

I guess it is true that ATI never expected 5970 to be such high demand

Or they just didn't make very many......

Think about it......there are two 5870 chips on each board, and the 5870 has been as hard to find as Elvis......

second the crossfire eyefinity benches. I want to get another 5850 if it scales well.

I'm sure Brent and Kyle are working on a CF review, but with the holidays here...
Give em time and improved drivers will be out by then also. :)

Or they just didn't make very many......

Think about it......there are two 5870 chips on each board, and the 5870 has been as hard to find as Elvis......

Not anymore, the supply of 5870s has rather improved and prices starting to drop little by little (I saw TigerDirect jumping from $420 to $400 for regular XFX 5870). Still, 5970s seem to be in much shorter supply.. or not?

Newegg only lists one 5970 now... the rest are "deactivated item" status..

I'm sure Brent and Kyle are working on a CF review, but with the holidays here...
Give em time and improved drivers will be out by then also. :)

agree'd we'll probably see something soon.. since AMD didnt even bother to let kyle or brent know they had added crossfire eyefinity support with the 9.12 hotfix drivers..

I thought AMD said stock on the 5800 series would improve greatly in the new year ? There may be an announcement at CES this week, but I would expect the 5970, 5870, and 5850 to be back at MSRP and in stock everywhere in February, maybe sooner.

Already on the egg, the 5850's have 6 brands in stock to purchase, and the 5870 has 9 brands for sale, but 5970's have vanished
5850's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0048 106793261 1067949753&name=Radeon HD 5850
5870's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0048 106793261 1067949754&name=Radeon HD 5870

I can't find a 5970 in stock anywhere. Anyone know when they'll be available again?

there is one in the FSFT section... an OEM unit.. it looks nice.. but 0 warr on a 600+ dollar component.. a bit of risk there.

I can't find a 5970 in stock anywhere. Anyone know when they'll be available again?

I am thinking now is NOT the best time to get one. I was all gun ho to buy one in November, but the more I hear about nFinity and nVidia's will be offering their own multiple monitor tech on a single new card for the GTX-380 or what ever it will be called.

The new nVidia stuff is supposed to be on sale sometime in March supposedly, and rumors point to at least some form of early announcements of the tech much earlier than that, possibly hearing what these cards will offer sometime this month.

Just hate to see someone blow $600+ :eek: on a brand new 5970, then come March nVidia has a card with the similar tech and is like 25% faster, and cheaper.

I am not against the 5970 in any way, I have the 5870 and love it, and would love to own a 5970 even more, but not for the current online prices of $700 :rolleyes: And then to blow that wad of cash on something that is out dated fairly soon, not in like 6 months times, but something just 6 +weeks out.

I've had my 5970 since release day in November at $625 and then Newegg gave me $25 cashback cos their rep said I'd get a 5870 to replace the one I RMAd but they didn't have any in stock to give to me at the time. And I got my second 5970 for MSRP $599 by pre-ordering from Amazon.

So maybe I was just lucky, or maybe I just camped it harder than others? But there was clearly a window even after the first wave when 5970s were available on the Egg for only a slight markup. Now of course I don't have any reason to look for more 5970s so I don't know about availability but I think that the quantities are limited because ATI probably didn't anticipate that many people wanting to buy it since the pricepoint is pretty high.

Honestly, dual 5970s feels like overkill. I probably should have gone with dual 5870s instead and just overclocked em. But having 4 gpus does feel pretty rockstar. But you probably wouldn't notice the performance difference at all on a single monitor.
And we still don't have CrossfireX Eyefinity reviews yet... so I'm not even sure how much of a difference it makes for multimonitor Eyefinity, although at the time that was a selling point for me.

I thought AMD said stock on the 5800 series would improve greatly in the new year ? There may be an announcement at CES this week, but I would expect the 5970, 5870, and 5850 to be back at MSRP and in stock everywhere in February, maybe sooner.

Well 5850s and 5870s can be found on the Egg now easily. Technically the 5970 is not a 5800 series card, so ATI didn't really go back on their promise, did they? Considering that CrossfireX + Eyefinity drivers are now out, if you can't find a 5970, it would probably make more sense to just get another 5870 at this point and Crossfire them. If you've got a Classified mobo or something else that can do 3 video cards, you can always go 5870x3 down the road if you crave more performance. Considering that individual 5870s overclock faster than 5970s, you'd probably be getting comparable performance going that route.

Last edited:
They aren't that hard to find. They've been in stock at least once per day at newegg since January 3rd. They just sell out within 30 mins at most, so you have to be checking your email regularly.

In stock once per day might sound bad, but it was much worse in the two weeks surrounding christmas.

I am thinking now is NOT the best time to get one. I was all gun ho to buy one in November, but the more I hear about nFinity and nVidia's will be offering their own multiple monitor tech on a single new card for the GTX-380 or what ever it will be called.

The new nVidia stuff is supposed to be on sale sometime in March supposedly, and rumors point to at least some form of early announcements of the tech much earlier than that, possibly hearing what these cards will offer sometime this month.

Just hate to see someone blow $600+ :eek: on a brand new 5970, then come March nVidia has a card with the similar tech and is like 25% faster, and cheaper.

I am not against the 5970 in any way, I have the 5870 and love it, and would love to own a 5970 even more, but not for the current online prices of $700 :rolleyes: And then to blow that wad of cash on something that is out dated fairly soon, not in like 6 months times, but something just 6 +weeks out.

Not a chance in hell that the 380? will be cheaper than anything ATI has out.

Not a chance in hell that the 380? will be cheaper than anything ATI has out.

+1 million, I guarantee the 5970 will be cheaper than Nvidia's top card at launch, and there will probably be 5890/5990s released to counter at the same or similar price points depending on performance of Nvidia's part. They have had significant time to get something ready.

+1 million, I guarantee the 5970 will be cheaper than Nvidia's top card at launch, and there will probably be 5890/5990s released to counter at the same or similar price points depending on performance of Nvidia's part. They have had significant time to get something ready.

No way. And I am not a fanboy, but think it would be crazy for nVidia to release their top end card at $700 :eek: That is where the 5970 is at today. I would think nVidia's dual GPU card would go for like $549-$599, and their single GPU the GTX-380 will be like $425 or so.

And you know AMD will just slash their prices as soon as nVidia's stuff comes out :D I bet the 5850 will go down to $249, the 5870 to $349, and the 5970 to $499. This will happen once nVidia's new cards are actually on the market for sale. And then sometime in Spring AMD will have their refresh line due.

So nVidia has a tough road ahead, first they need to beat the performance of the 5800 series, and then do it close to the revised price point AMD will be selling them at in March. Second they need to have nFinity to compete with EYEFINITY. And third they will soon have more competition from AMD come late Spring in the refresh due

Moral of the story, do NOT buy a new VideoCard today, wait just another 6 to 8 weeks, and come March you can either A; buy a brand new generation nVidia card, or B; buy a discounted AMD 5800 series card

No way. And I am not a fanboy, but think it would be crazy for nVidia to release their top end card at $700 :eek: That is where the 5970 is at today. I would think nVidia's dual GPU card would go for like $549-$599, and their single GPU the GTX-380 will be like $425 or so.

And you know AMD will just slash their prices as soon as nVidia's stuff comes out :D I bet the 5850 will go down to $249, the 5870 to $349, and the 5970 to $499. This will happen once nVidia's new cards are actually on the market for sale. And then sometime in Spring AMD will have their refresh line due.

So nVidia has a tough road ahead, first they need to beat the performance of the 5800 series, and then do it close to the revised price point AMD will be selling them at in March. Second they need to have nFinity to compete with EYEFINITY. And third they will soon have more competition from AMD come late Spring in the refresh due

Moral of the story, do NOT buy a new VideoCard today, wait just another 6 to 8 weeks, and come March you can either A; buy a brand new generation nVidia card, or B; buy a discounted AMD 5800 series card

Current demand for the 5970 says otherwise. People are still willing to pay high prices. Even at the inflated MSRP people are still snatching these cards up. I fully expect Nvidia's dual GPU part to cost $700-800, unless they decide to go against their history and release a product that delivers on performance AND price.

I'm just sick of these amazingly fast cards always being in short demand , sometimes Nvidia/ATI release cards with plenty of stock and sometimes they don't .. I would like a solid reason why but oh well , nature of the business I guess and yields.

First of all, march is over 2 months from now. So it's going to be a signficant wait for the Nvidia cards.

Second of all, Nvidia has NEVER been known to sell their cards for less than ATI does. In addition because of the size of the gpu die, not to mention TSMC shortages, doing this would LOSE Nvidia money, and they are not going to sell their brand new products at a loss.

Third of all, you are being way optimistic on the price drops. Nvidia needs to beat ATI significantly in performance in the first place to warrant a price drop, and if Nvidia prices their products signficantly higher, then ATI doesn't need to cut prices if their prices are already lower than what Nvidia is selling their cards for.

Fourth -- where have you heard that Nvidia will definitely offer an Nfinity feature to compete with Eyefinity? I'd like to see it, but I doubt they would throw in this feature for free since they make a ridiculous profit from the overpriced Quadro line.

Fifth -- the MSRP of the 5970 remains at $599. It is the retailers that are marking it up to ~$700 because of supply shortages.

First of all, march is over 2 months from now. So it's going to be a signficant wait for the Nvidia cards.

Second of all, Nvidia has NEVER been known to sell their cards for less than ATI does. In addition because of the size of the gpu die, not to mention TSMC shortages, doing this would LOSE Nvidia money, and they are not going to sell their brand new products at a loss.

Third of all, you are being way optimistic on the price drops. Nvidia needs to beat ATI significantly in performance in the first place to warrant a price drop, and if Nvidia prices their products signficantly higher, then ATI doesn't need to cut prices if their prices are already lower than what Nvidia is selling their cards for.

Fourth -- where have you heard that Nvidia will definitely offer an Nfinity feature to compete with Eyefinity? I'd like to see it, but I doubt they would throw in this feature for free since they make a ridiculous profit from the overpriced Quadro line.

Fifth -- the MSRP of the 5970 remains at $599. It is the retailers that are marking it up to ~$700 because of supply shortages.

nVidia 3D surround for triple monitors, but sadly requires SLI
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-3D-Surround,9394.html

I'd be very surprised if nvidia had much choice in the matter, they have to make back their R&D money, they always seem to push the technology that little bit further but the cards are higher price because of it.

Other than the price wars the ATI kit has still been reasonably priced, complaints of the price tag on the 5970 was unwarrented i'd say, OK so the £530 retail is asking is very high but thats not AMDs fault, I luckily got mine for RRP (about 450) and think it was well worth the cost.

Nvidias top end part will be more expensive for sure.

Back