5870s going for 300+ on ebay...time to sell?

Damn. I sold two 5870s for $300 total a couple of months ago. =(

Oh well, I'll enjoy my 6990. =D

i wouldn't mind doing a small side grade... selling my 5850 for a 6870 lol. I'm just not sure if i really want to sell my vid card because i would have no vid card to use for a bit :(
After couple days of mining, you can trade in the coins for a budget graphics card which you can install in your system while waiting for the 6870. Assuming you don't mind the electricity bill. :)

After couple days of mining, you can trade in the coins for a budget graphics card which you can install in your system while waiting for the 6870. Assuming you don't mind the electricity bill. :)

thing is.. i'm too lazy to mine lol. Ah well.

i want to see actually ended sales that close at 300+, cuz sure they could be listed at that price but if people are buying at that price that'd really be something

good luck to you guys, ebay is so flakey sometimes

Just do an advanced search with completed listings only checked.

HD5850's going for around $200 and HD5870's for around $300 or more with a few that were listed for $200....probably people who didn't do their homework before listing. I always do a several page hunt in completed listings only history for anything i am thinking of selling so I can price according to what the market dictates at the time.

Last edited:
Returning to the OP's question, if you want to sell your 5870 then it is a good time now.

The price that miners are willing to pay for a 5870 will be limited by the 6970 price, because the two are similar in Mhash/s performance. I predict that the 5870 listings will follow the slow decline of the 6970 price.

can someone link to how this bitcoin thing works? is it like a forex market?

SO I have a dumb question - please forgive my n00bishness on this, I can build a PC and I understand them to a degree, but I'm not highly technical and am not overly knowledgeable about how exactly the hard parts work.

Since I have good cooling in my case and my ambient temp is quite low (I cant stand heat, my a/c is always on full blast), my gpu is running under 80c (77 right now under full load for the last hour). If I leave this run for days on end at 99% load, but the temps dont rise, will it shorten the life of anything except the fan? Beyond that - according to CCC, my gpu fan is only running at 32%, so even that doesnt seem worrisome. Am I missing anything?

everthing must fail at 99% failure will come more quickly, try keep it less than 80 and dust free.

everthing must fail at 99% failure will come more quickly, try keep it less than 80 and dust free.

Ive been watching it. Hasnt broken 78, stays pretty much at 77c. Appreciate the feedback.

bitcoin.jpg

im gonna put my 6950 to work, just gonna mine and sell looks like there is a forum like way and people pay with paypal... looks interesting not sure what they get out of this bitcoin thing though

im gonna put my 6950 to work, just gonna mine and sell looks like there is a forum like way and people pay with paypal... looks interesting not sure what they get out of this bitcoin thing though

From what I understand, they just get more of the currency in hopes that it will increase in value. There has to be something tangible that the currency can be exchanged for, at least in the future, but I'm guessing the people exchanging real world money for it are just investing with the hope that its value will increase.

And from what someone told me earlier in this thread, the whole bitcoin mining system is just a method of initially distributing this currency, which I find kind of funny, that they decided to distribute based on computing power dedicated. I suppose it could all work out as long as people keep having confidence in the currency. Definitely no harm in mining it and selling it, or selling your card for a great price. Just gotta worry about investing money in mining it or holding onto it in hopes that it will increase in price.

Yea, I just put a 5870, 5770 and 4870 to work mining. I'm torn, do I sell these extra cards and get a 69 series or 580, or hold onto these to make bitcoin...

decisions...

time to mine like a mofo and sell and then get out, ill watch if this ever takes off

You can already exchange your bitcoins for hard cash/e-gift cards, and many other forms of tradeable currency(transaction fees vary from 2 to 7% of the total amount). You can also use this website to buy stuff from Amazon and soon Newegg: http://www.spendbitcoins.com

Head over to the thread going at the DC forums for more info and details. This is not that hard specially with browser based OpenCL miners that can take advantage of your GPUs.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1613790

Ot but can u run multiple pygpu clients on mulyiple cards like running multiple f@h clients per gpu??

One miner client per GPU, so that 5850 Crossfire rig in your sig at stock clocks will be generating ~520Mhash/s (~260x2). At the current exchange rate that will be ~$200 after only one week of 24/7 mining which would more than cover the power costs.

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What the hell, I just saw this thread. This bitcom stuff sounds bizarre, I just can't believe this is legitimate. It's going to pop like the tech bubble dotcom crash of 2002.

I believe so also. I can't believe the prices on some of these cards. I feel lucky I was able to get a 6950 for $220. I actually sold 2 coins to two different people over paypal and it's been a okay deal. Easiest $58 i ever made.

The only real tangible value in these bitcoins is the energy consumed to produce them. I'm sure the electrical utility companies love bitcoin mining. This bubble is going to burst fast. Don't be a sucker.

Last edited:
The only real tangible value in these bitcoins is the energy consumed to produce them. I'm sure the electrical utility companies love bitcoin mining. This bubble is going to burst fast. Don't be a sucker.

This is what makes me a bit nervous. The price of one bitcoin has increased a lot lately.

lol my friend is so happy right now because he bought a lot of bitcoin and started mining last 2 weeks ago and bitcoin was $8 per coin back then and now it is already $28... lucky guy.. I would've bitcoin mined if I actually had a rig lol

lol's So is the guy who invented it, as rich as Bill Gates now? ROTFLMAO

From what I understand, they just get more of the currency in hopes that it will increase in value. There has to be something tangible that the currency can be exchanged for, at least in the future, but I'm guessing the people exchanging real world money for it are just investing with the hope that its value will increase.

And from what someone told me earlier in this thread, the whole bitcoin mining system is just a method of initially distributing this currency, which I find kind of funny, that they decided to distribute based on computing power dedicated. I suppose it could all work out as long as people keep having confidence in the currency. Definitely no harm in mining it and selling it, or selling your card for a great price. Just gotta worry about investing money in mining it or holding onto it in hopes that it will increase in price.

Thanks for the informative reply

You can already exchange your bitcoins for hard cash/e-gift cards, and many other forms of tradeable currency(transaction fees vary from 2 to 7% of the total amount). You can also use this website to buy stuff from Amazon and soon Newegg: http://www.spendbitcoins.com

Head over to the thread going at the DC forums for more info and details. This is not that hard specially with browser based OpenCL miners that can take advantage of your GPUs.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1613790

This is really cool im gonna lookinto this this weekend

I was wondering why I couldn't find another brand new 5870 for $200. I don't see this lasting much longer.

Yea, I just put a 5870, 5770 and 4870 to work mining. I'm torn, do I sell these extra cards and get a 69 series or 580, or hold onto these to make bitcoin...

decisions...

both of your 5 series cards are way more efficient at mining, my guess is that the 4870 only contributes 90 or so MH/s, the power it uses for that little bit of hashes will cut into your profits, if you can afford it I would suggest getting even just another 5770, that one card swap would improve your efficiency as the added 5770 would increase your hashes by at least 2.5x over what you're getting with that 4870, while using less power...

I can't afford to upgrade right now so I'm chugging along with my 5850 and 4890/4870 mixed crossfire, I just want the bitcoins for now despite the efficiency hit of the 4800 series cards and will put them to pasture once I get (fingers crossed) two more 5850s...

really...? the people who have cashed out some of their bitcoins or bought things on Amazon would disagree...

that said I also have my doubts, but when I get enough bitcoins to cash out a decent amount or do some shopping on Amazon (and soon Newegg), those things will have tangible value, at least to me...

Back