5760x1080 @ 144 FPS Possible?

NExUS1g

Gawd
Taking into consideration modern games like Metro, Battlefield 4, Arma III, Crysis 3 and the like, is playing at 5760x1080 @ 144 FPS w/ max settings ASF/AA possible on any hardware combination?

MAYBE with 4x Titans and a 5+ ghz haswell. MAYBE.

I think Vega attempted this at one point

we are so going to need horsepower for 3@ 4K gaming

AMD and nVidia better get on the stick

first of all, you need a monitor that get to 144Hz :p

ytbk8kz.jpg

IPS display?

I'm gonna go ahead and say not very likely, at least for the time being. You'll probably be too CPU limited to maintain 144 FPS. Especially games like Crysis 3, BF4 and Arma - those games eat CPUs for breakfast (although they do scale well with extra cores).

For example, though BF4 will likely be optimized before it hits retail, I'm using almost 90% of a 4.5GHz 4770K, at Ultra settings (except all AA's turned off) and getting around 70ish FPS:

UrV7b0U.png

With a little more GPU power I'd be CPU limited at around 80 FPS. Same with Crysis 3 - there are parts (especially the grassy parts in the second level) where my CPU hits 100% utilization at around 65/70 FPS - so that's basically the highest it'll ever go on my CPU, no matter how many Titans or 290X's I throw at it.

So maaaaybe if you have like, a 4930K at 5GHz you can do it, but if you absolutely must maintain 144 FPS all the time, it's just not gonna happen with modern CPUs. The resolution/video part is easy, since you can always just throw more Titans or whatever at the problem until it goes away, but CPU cycles are a much more constrained resource.

Uh. I know its probably a noob question, but why 144fps?

maybe 72 fps stereoscopically or some version of oculus, but im unfamiliar with the reference.

144fps is smoother than 120fps, which is smoother than 90, which is smoother than 60

less visual lag/more precise control of your aim (you're seeing more frames between cursor movement, giving you higher aim precision)

watching a friend of mine play BF4 on his 120hz made me super jelly, even with it being TN

I believe his desire is to have a system rendering a frame for each screen refresh....though that's kind of flawed logic because the system doesn't churn out frames at a constant rate.

Vega build it. A 4.5Ghz+ CPu is just if not more important than VGAs for going more than 60FPs at triple 1080p.
Basically Vega stated that 2xtitan will allow you to game in up to 60% of titles, with about 20% more games requiring 3 titans, and a couple of games getting nominal benefits from 4x titans.

So tri-sli titan FTW.

Need bigger monitors than 24' for it to be really impressive IMO. :)

all the gpu power in the world will not maintain 144 fps in many games. its laughable how many games are cpu limited for one reason or another well before that point.

all the gpu power in the world will not maintain 144 fps in many games. its laughable how many games are cpu limited for one reason or another well before that point.

I suspect that will not be the case for much longer. The new consoles are basically forcing developers to be smarter and more efficient with threading. With the push on 64-bit that's been happening as well, I suspect that the next decade's worth of games will be using a significant number of cores/HW threads quite efficiently, significantly raising the performance of our multi-core CPUs.

BTW, could someone link to Vega's channel/vid in question for me? Thanks. (I think I found it if it's CallsignVega)

TN.

If you can find a 144Hz IPS display, my hat's off to you. I think I would still prefer the TN though.

You would? Why? Do you prefer washed-out colors with color shifting from top-to-bottom left-to-right while you're sitting at the monitor, and poorer resolution? May as well grab a 2560x1440 PLS panel and OC it :), much better in every possible way unless you're going lightboost which has its own huge sacrifices. You may not hit 144hz (most of them don't), but 110-125hz is pretty common.

Because chances are a 144Hz "IPS" is a scam panel.

Errrr, no. Not at all. Have you followed monitor news at all the past year or more? Originally there were a good number of Catleaps/overlords doing 120hz+ IPS oc's for a very long time, now for ~8+ months the new favored panel is a samsung PLS present in Qnix/X-Star models that oc very well for $300/less shipped, glossy or semi-gloss matte.

144fps is smoother than 120fps, which is smoother than 90, which is smoother than 60

less visual lag/more precise control of your aim (you're seeing more frames between cursor movement, giving you higher aim precision)

watching a friend of mine play BF4 on his 120hz made me super jelly, even with it being TN

Yeah, but why 144 and not 150 or 180 or 143 or 145?

After about 100 fps i cant see any smoother, even on a 120Hz screen. and 100fps is only when im spinning around with 110 fov, otherwise my vision seems to cap out at 85.

my ping never seems to drop below 30ms, i couldnt use the extra precision even if i wanted to. :(

Yeah, but why 144 and not 150 or 180 or 143 or 145?

After about 100 fps i cant see any smoother, even on a 120Hz screen. and 100fps is only when im spinning around with 110 fov, otherwise my vision seems to cap out at 85.

my ping never seems to drop below 30ms, i couldnt use the extra precision even if i wanted to. :(

Well I can easily tell the difference between 100 and 120. Everyone is different.

Errrr, no. Not at all. Have you followed monitor news at all the past year or more? Originally there were a good number of Catleaps/overlords doing 120hz+ IPS oc's for a very long time, now for ~8+ months the new favored panel is a samsung PLS present in Qnix/X-Star models that oc very well for $300/less shipped, glossy or semi-gloss matte.

I'm sorry about not being clear enough. I mean any IPS that guarantees a factory 144Hz out of the box.

Well, if the 1440 catch on in a big way and become mainstream then amd and nvidia (intel as well i suppose) will eventually come up with a product that will run them for gaming to the consumer's (even the hardcore) satisfaction. Its looking like the bar is being raised more now than we have seen in a while. Just my observance anyway. :)

Back