5700XT Cooling options

CaptPeteJ

n00b
Hey Guys,
I know this is probably a bit early, but those of us that have picked up cards already might be curious what options are coming.

So far it looks like EK will have a water block soon:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vector-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rgb-nickel-plexi

I'd rather stick with air cooling on this build. I know I probably should have waited for 3rd party offerings, but $349 for an XT (with CPU/X570 purchase) was too good to pass up.

So, anyone aware of any better air cooled options coming out soon?

If you do the washers you need to be careful about stripping the screws, they are small. I tried washers on the vii and it increased temps but I think it's because I didn't tighten it 100% evenly due to being cautious. I'm going to try some Noctua paste next.

Hey Guys,
I know this is probably a bit early, but those of us that have picked up cards already might be curious what options are coming.

So far it looks like EK will have a water block soon:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vector-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rgb-nickel-plexi

I'd rather stick with air cooling on this build. I know I probably should have waited for 3rd party offerings, but $349 for an XT (with CPU/X570 purchase) was too good to pass up.

So, anyone aware of any better air cooled options coming out soon?

What you need is the following:

One (1) Raijintek Morpheus II GPU heat sink
One (1) Gelid VGA adapter
One (1) Silverstone 2-way fan splitter
Two (2) Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans

I, personally, would try the Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut thermal pad, but if you do not want to go that route then I would go with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste...

Keep in mind this will turn your GPU into a four-slot beast...

What you need is the following:

One (1) Raijintek Morpheus II GPU heat sink
One (1) Gelid VGA adapter
One (1) Silverstone 2-way fan splitter
Two (2) Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans

I, personally, would try the Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut thermal pad, but if you do not want to go that route then I would go with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste...

Keep in mind this will turn your GPU into a four-slot beast...
I would skip Carbonaut. They are incredibly delicate, tear very easily. There's a good chance you tear it during installation. And its basically guaranteed to tear, during removal. And they seem pretty lackluster in performance.

If someone is interested in thermal pads instead of thermal paste, I would point them toward these. They are way more durable and seem like they might even be better for cooling than carbonaut. And way lower cost.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-C...carbonaut&qid=1562793385&s=electronics&sr=1-2

or for 5700 cards specifically, AMD is using Hitachi TC-HM03. Based on tests where people have swapped these pads for thermal paste, are only about 2-5c worse than paste.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would skip Carbonaut. They are incredibly delicate, tear very easily. There's a good chance you tear it during installation. And its basically guaranteed to tear, during removal. And they seem pretty lackluster in performance.

If someone is interested in thermal pads instead of thermal paste, I would point them toward these. They are way more durable and seem like they might even be better for cooling than carbonaut. And way lower cost.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-C...carbonaut&qid=1562793385&s=electronics&sr=1-2

or for 5700 cards specifically, AMD is using Hitachi TC-HM03. Based on tests where people have swapped these pads for thermal paste, are only about 2-5c worse than paste.

I use these for my test bench and I gotta say they are excellent. No clean-up, temps very similar to paste.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why couldn't AMD make a dual slot cooler for their cards like Ngreedia did? Get with the program AMD, geez!

The fans the XT comes with do a decent job but they're LOUD AF.

Default fan profile is weak, and is quiet but can quickly reach 90C on a benchmark.

I set a custom fan profile (easy to do with Wattman, Afterburner has problems) and temps are good.

Usually I can stay in the 75C range while gaming, and I don't mind the noise because I wear headphones.

If you have speakers it may be more of an issue but I would say the fans do an okay job.

Reactions: noko
like this
If you can fit Extreme 4 get that because it's alot easier to install with that VRM heatsink on the back. The Extreme III the problem i ran into was that the heat pipe bumps in the ram heatsinks. You will need a lower profile ram heatsinks other than that it works great. I set the boost clock to 2150mhz and the voltage to 1165mv my temps are from 67-71 c i think the max was 71. I played a variety games on it. Big difference in temps

Damn a3 doing well. To think it was made when 6970 came out...
A4 as mentioned has slightly better back clearance and bit more surface area. Either way both are better than the usually oems.
I thought arctic stopped making them?
Edit: nope a3 and a4 89usd on arctic store. In quite suprised.
Too bad they are a bitch to mount on my vega64... Will have to wait :)

Last edited:
The Extreme 3 cooler was $52 on amazon and the Extreme 4 is $59. If you can fit the 4 go for it but i have noctua DH15S cooler and i wasn't confident i could clear it. The cooler works really awsome ! I mean it's night and day incredible cooling performance. Probably better than most custom AIB cooling designs. My temps never hit over 70c and i got the boost clock maxed out in wattman at 2150mhz with a slight under clock of 1148mv. Increasing the boards power limit to 50% allowed it hit like 2050mhz to 2.1ghz and actually maintain the clock speed without bouncing around like at stock. Power draw peaked around 210w. I can see why raising the power tables really pushes this card. The card seems to be starving for power. I wonder how much faster a 5700 XT with Extreme 3/4 on it vs a nice RTX 2070 super oc with nice cooler benchmarks?
?

i put the heatsinks slight off set to the heatpipes not a great solution but it seems to cool them enough. I'm looking for some lower profile ram heat sinks and recommendations? BTW my card hasn't crashed or artifacted in any way. I'm not sure how hot the ram chips get anyways?

i put the heatsinks slight off set to the heatpipes not a great solution but it seems to cool them enough. I'm looking for some lower profile ram heat sinks and recommendations? BTW my card hasn't crashed or artifacted in any way. I'm not sure how hot the ram chips get anyways?

I wonder if it's possible to put the heatsinks underneath the ram chips ? Would that work and solve the issue?

Even with thermal pads ? like how the Extreme 4 ? Probably not enough pressure.

So to recap Ref 5700 XT cost $399 + Arctic cooling Extreme 3 $52 so for $452 + tax/shipping not bad it could possible clock fast than nvidia 2070 super oc ? The Arctic cooler is insanely good.

No, not a bad deal but maybe more trouble than it's worth. I'm looking at the aftermarket coolers for my 5700 XT but honestly the Arctic ones look really lame design-wise.

I might be interested in trading for a AIB 5700 XT, when they become available, because (you are right) the stock cooling doesn't work very well. On the default settings I saw my card reaching 90C+ temps, it's almost dangerous.

However, the card does perform very well. I have not tried the 2070 or Super but the XT is noticeably better than an RTX 2060. I would say price-wise, I'm happy with the purchase for $400. And with a custom fan curve you can get temps under control, you just have to live with the noise.

Has anyone tried an MSI afterburner under-volt and mem clock decrease? My XFX 390X runs 10 FPS faster and runs considerably cooler if I do this.

I put it back in my machine which is what i;m using to type this message. Let me get a pic.

Attachments

• exdFdVA.jpg
    exdFdVA.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 422
  • JRXv8rE.jpg
    JRXv8rE.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
I'm kind of interested in the Morpheus II. Not that I'm doing any crazy overclocking on the XT rig (I'm using it mostly for emulators and my DJ equipment, neither of which need a monster GPU).

But it seems like a fun little project for not too much money, and I would like the GPU running cooler. One question, do custom mods like this trash the resale value?

I do usually flip my cards when the new ones come out so I'm a bit worried that no one will want it and about voiding warranty.

I'm kind of interested in the Morpheus II. Not that I'm doing any crazy overclocking on the XT rig (I'm using it mostly for emulators and my DJ equipment, neither of which need a monster GPU).

But it seems like a fun little project for not too much money, and I would like the GPU running cooler. One question, do custom mods like this trash the resale value?

I do usually flip my cards when the new ones come out so I'm a bit worried that no one will want it and about voiding warranty.

I think in this situation with it being a reference card it probably adds value as long as the install looks clean. The only reason i didn't go with the Morpheus II was the added cost of the fans. Also it does takes up more space than the Extreme III. The Extreme III is also cheaper by about 20$ too

FYI VRM's don't get that hot on this card but ram does ! Make sure you set your fan profiles correctly as instructed by Arctic cooling it makes a big difference in Vram temps !

i saw it and it made me clock my ram to 900mhz even thought the auto ram overclock says 915?

Back