5700XT Cooling options

I wonder if cooling the ram sufficiently will allow better OCing of the memory which looks to be way more limiting than the GPU clock? Gamers Nexus fan cooling of ram without using heat sinks to me was short sighted and limited their results - I would almost give them a fail on this piece.

Yeah, I would imagine the kit comes with RAM heatsinks for a reason. And if it is anything like Radeon VII, memory clock made a huge difference.

Yeah, I would imagine the kit comes with RAM heatsinks for a reason. And if it is anything like Radeon VII, memory clock made a huge difference.

There is a clear gain with memory speed increase, but most are limited to 7~10% for now unless using aftermarket cooling. I would not recommend doing it on a stock blower unless you are just doing a benchmark run.

Overclocking the ram is pointless because it just seems to make the card unstable.

just buy the copper ram heatsinks off amazon for $7 and problem solved.

Just put a Morpheus II for shits and giggles, and the thing is amazing for cooling but for a clean looking rig I kinda like the stock cooler for that reason. And it isn't bad with the washer mod and some good thermal goop on it.

My 5700xt is okay temp wise per wattman, but the back gets OBSCENELY hot to touch during operation. The backplate is VERY hot, unable to hold finger on it which is interesting because it's not making actual contact with the card.

Yes backplate does get very hot. That is the problem with the Morpheus 2 that you cannot put the back plate back on it's probably a good thing.

Yes backplate does get very hot. That is the problem with the Morpheus 2 that you cannot put the back plate back on it's probably a good thing.

it getting so hot would indicate to me the heatsink is doing a poor job of pulling heat off of the card but IDK

With the Morpheus II installed and stock fan curve.
Two Corsair Maglev fans.
Heaven's benchmark running.

Attachments

• 15651885336988035332400019989329.jpg
    15651885336988035332400019989329.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 0

I am thinking of pulling my backplate and putting thermal pads for heat transfer on mine.

I am thinking of pulling my backplate and putting thermal pads for heat transfer on mine.
I tried that didn't seem to work very well the only reason I don't have the backplate on is I would need nuts to go on the screws cuz there's nothing to screw it into.

That would make the back-plate even hotter- it's not generating the heat, it's dissipating the heat, and dissipating it into you when you touch it ;).

If you want to cool it, affixing some form of heatsink that works with the airflow in your case might help a bit, in a ghetto sort of way, but it should be said that backplates get hot by design.

I noticed when running FurMark on burn-in test, the temp reading on the app was up to 99C after 5 minutes, while the AMD overlay showed significantly lower, at 82C.

So what is the true value? I'd imagine AMD would have the real figure unless they are pulling some funny business. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed when running FurMark on burn-in test, the temp reading on the app was up to 99C after 5 minutes, while the AMD overlay showed significantly lower, at 82C.

So what is the true value? I'd imagine AMD would have the real figure unless they are pulling some funny business. Anyone else notice this?
Are you throttling? At 99c you would certainly be.

With the Morpheus II installed and stock fan curve.
Two Corsair Maglev fans.
Heaven's benchmark running.

What are your Vram temps ? I'm using copper heatsinks with a Arctic extreme III and my temps with fan @ 100% is around 88c to 91c

Back