500gb samsung 850 evo $150

Samsung seems to want to dump these like there is no tomorrow. Overstocked? About to release a new product? Marketing wants to crush the competiton? Who knows.

I say there is a high profit on 3D NAND.

But even then, if people will pay the higher price you then just have great margins. You'd only lower the price if it's not selling or you have a bunch of stock. I'm betting that they have a bunch of stock.

Samsung seems to want to dump these like there is no tomorrow. Overstocked? About to release a new product? Marketing wants to crush the competiton? Who knows.

Or there is something wrong with this 3D nand ?

What's really happening is the cost to create high density SSDs has fallen out the bottom with 3D nand, and the price hasn't equilibrated yet. So we see all these "sales" but really its just retailers trying to dump SSDs at the current levels while consumers still expect to be paying more. If you can put off buying an SSD for the next few months we should start to see super low prices.

Article from Chris @ [H] on this issue here. Another interesting article on the price free fall here.

What's really happening is the cost to create high density SSDs has fallen out the bottom with 3D nand, and the price hasn't equilibrated yet. So we see all these "sales" but really its just retailers trying to dump SSDs at the current levels while consumers still expect to be paying more. If you can put off buying an SSD for the next few months we should start to see super low prices.

Article from Chris @ [H] on this issue here. Another interesting article on the price free fall here.

This seems to be the likely reason. That or Samsung is trying to not lose more of the market after the 840 evo disasters (and 850 firmware screwup). I'm staying away from Samsung for now unless the price is too good to pass up.

Do you guys really think the same mess will happen with the 850 EVO as the 840? I'm still running original Samsung 830's. I beat them and they still bench like brand new.

Do you guys really think the same mess will happen with the 850 EVO as the 840? I'm still running original Samsung 830's. I beat them and they still bench like brand new.
I'm more concerned about the TRIM issues on linux. I was going to purchase a 500 gb for a db server, but after hearing of unexpected data loss due to TRIM, I decided against it.

Edit: After revisiting Angola's original blog post, it sounds like the TRIM was indeed patched in the kernel (beyond an initial blacklist hack that took place); Samsung's SSDs have been working fine the entire time. Excellent!

Last edited:
i know mint linux as of 17.1 has trim support built in now, no tweaks needed, not sure if other variations are doing it yet...

I'm on Linux Mint 17.2 at home, and run an 850 Evo 128 gb. Works perfectly. For home use I'm fine w/the small risk.

I plan to upgrade my servers to Ubuntu 16.10 when its ready. I'll re-evaluate SSDs then. Prices will certainly have dropped by then as well.

Yep. It's a lot like mfr's selling products as "Blems" when there's nothing wrong with them at all. It allows them to clear out at lower prices without screwing up their established MSRP's. Once they lower an MSRP they can never recover that.

This seems to be the likely reason. That or Samsung is trying to not lose more of the market after the 840 evo disasters (and 850 firmware screwup). I'm staying away from Samsung for now unless the price is too good to pass up.

Wait, 850 firmware screwup?

I really don't get this line of reasoning, EVERYONE has had a distaster of sorts in the SSD space... Hell, Samsung has had one AFAIK, most have had several... Even Intel with all their R&D and validation managed to send out X25-Ms that would brick and couldn't fully wrangle all the bugs in their Sandforce drive (tho they did better than most).

I care more about the total track record, how they actually respond to those screw ups, and bang for the buck. Samsung didn't handle the 840 EVO issues the best way possible IMO (the biggest crime was outright ignoring the non EVO AFAIK), but their track record is decent otherwise and it's pretty tough to beat the value of a $150/500GB or $320/1TB 850 EVO.

I sort of got the skepticism when they were first out of the gate with TLC then 3D NAND, but everyone else is following suit so...

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll get EVO's my next go around. The price is right for sure, the performance is spot on, and Samsung is trustworthy. Just have backups of course.

waiting for this ssd to drop below $99, stores are just trying to dump their old inventory as a sale and you guys are falling for it.

I guess I'll wait until the next rollout before buying my next round. Not like I need them at the moment.

2TB has dropped $50 in 2 weeks...I wish prices would drop that often on all SSDs

2TB has dropped $50 in 2 weeks...I wish prices would drop that often on all SSDs
Well just one place selling it that cheap for a few days does not mean much. I am actually thinking about getting that 2 TB model though but I have feeling over the next few months I could end up regretting that greatly if prices do take a huge tumble.

amazon has the 1TB for $355

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE?&tag=deatobuy06-20&ie=UTF8

Still a good deal imho for 1TB SSD drive

They've had it as low as $335 more than a couple times, and it's been on sale recently for $310 (Newegg eBay) and $330 (Fry's)... Makes $800 for the 2TB seem kinda steep, unless you're buying a couple of those in which case you probably aren't very concerned with saving $50-150. :p

I want a second 1TB, bought the first for $340 from Newegg a month ago, but I'll probably wait to see if it drops any further later in the year... Specially with word that Samsung might be going with higher density NAND on the line.

Still not sure if they'll swap it into existing models (would be a first) or if there's an 860 EVO looming. Would be odd with the 2TB having just come out. I hope there's a new model coming tho, fire sales on the 830 when the 840 came out were terrific. :p

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They've had it as low as $335 more than a couple times, and it's been on sale recently for $310 (Newegg eBay) and $330 (Fry's)... Makes $800 for the 2TB seem kinda steep, unless you're buying a couple of those in which case you probably aren't very concerned with saving $50-150. :p

I want a second 1TB, bought the first for $340 from Newegg a month ago, but I'll probably wait to see if it drops any further later in the year... Specially with word that Samsung might be going with higher density NAND on the line.

Still not sure if they'll swap it into existing models (would be a first) or if there's an 860 EVO looming. Would be odd with the 2TB having just come out. I hope there's a new model coming tho, fire sales on the 830 when the 840 EVO came out were terrific. :p
The article the other day said "Samsung is retrofitting their 850 EVO line with the new parts."

The article the other day said "Samsung is retrofitting their 850 EVO line with the new parts."

The Anandtech news bit I read seemed unsure, I think it makes sense but would be a first for Samsung... They've refreshed model lines in the past for more minor changes (e.g. 840 to 840 EVO).

You should have seen the prices around 5 years ago. 150 bucks got you 32GB of crap. Prices are coming down each year big time while bigger ones keep rolling out.

You should have seen the prices around 5 years ago. 150 bucks got you 32GB of crap. Prices are coming down each year big time while bigger ones keep rolling out.

That's a slight exaggeration... :D I paid $220 for an 80GB Intel X25-M G2 in mid 2009, and it was most certainly not crap (in fact to the average user it probably still feels no different than a modern SSD).

So 6 yrs ago you could already get something decent in a usable capacity. Granted, that drive was in high demand for like 8 months straight (both it and the 160GB IIRC, massive gouging by everyone), so until 2010 you'd be lucky to get it for $300... There were decent 120GB Vertex and whatnot filling the void tho.

4 yrs ago I paid about the same for a 128GB 830 (as fast as an 840 EVO), so things were already looking up quite a bit by then, shoot that drive came with a free copy of one of the Batman games!

Somewhere in between those two (so around 5yrs ago) I bought a 40GB X25-V for something like $75-80 (although I had to stalk it a while IIRC), and outside of the crap sequential write speeds it was quite a decent budget drive.

In mid 2013 I bought a 500GB 840 EVO for my sister for a little more than the 1TB 850 EVO are going for now... So 50% price reduction or a doubling in capacity in two year's time despite Samsung dominating the whole while.

Now I'm curious how linearly prices have fallen, even tho it often happens in shorter jumps... (as a new gen is trotted out etc)

Couldn't remember exact dates. Might have been a bit more than 5 years :D. The X25M was good. I remember paying a lot for those first gen OCZ Vertex's that were slow compared to now and always failed after a year. Time flys man :D

Couldn't remember exact dates. Might have been a bit more than 5 years :D. The X25M was good. I remember paying a lot for those first gen OCZ Vertex's that were slow compared to now and always failed after a year. Time flys man :D

It definitely does... :eek: Either that or we're getting older and my recollection of past hardware is getting fuzzier, good thing it's all a few email searches away. :cool:

RAM prices are the real doozy, I recently paid 2005 prices for DDR4... Granted it was for 32GB so not quite as bad as 2005, more like 2005 prices / 2! (or 2008-2012 prices x2)

Back