$500 Ethernet Cable

-snip-
Anyone who spends that much on a 5ft cat5 cable is an absolute dummy who shouldn't have the money they're spending.
-snip-

Don't worry - if their stupidity continues, they'll piss away all that money soon enough. This is a problem that solves itself. ;)

A lot of audiophiles are.. but good audio/video equipment is worth it if you are a sensible person and know what to buy in reasonable price ranges.

If one does as you suggest, I'm pretty sure that person is not an audiophile, unless, of course, the reason they're buying such clearly inferior equipment is because they lack the funds to buy it and a 3rd strike would put them in jail for life.

It costs more to play the audiophile game, but I don't see it as that different than people buying a quality PSU rated at 600W continuous output will be enough, even though 90% of those worrying have rigs that won't pull 300w (peak) from the wall. Buyer's will also justify a higher price for said PSU, because it has super low ripple, even though an alternative has levels that are well within the spec.

It's mostly marketing hype and it apparently works.

Holy shit thats a rip off. They could just get a cheap cat6 or cat5e and it will do the exact same.

How can they be directional??? The signal travels in both directions...!!!!

Clearly Denon has implemented a solution where they have Ethernet "in" and "out" ports. Unless you want your music to sound distorted then you have to plug the cable into the correct port with the arrows pointing the correct way.

There are 35 pages devoted to this critical detail in the manual for their latest receivers.

On another note, attempting to use non-Denon branded cables will result in the immediate termintation of your license to listen to music on your denon equipment. Any attempt to bypass this critical safety feature will be considered a violation of the DCMA. Denon has implemented this feature for your protection from inferior cables that may not be electrically safe and could cause a fire because the data does not know which way to go on the cable because the direction is not printed on the cable jacket. This is enforced through the use of the DEA chip or Denon Ethernet Authentication chip.

Oh man, thanks dude, some of those "reviews" were really funny.

I've never seen so much sarcasm in a 4 star reviews. Then again, I suspect the bean counters total the units sold just to determine what percentage of their customers are complete morons.

I've never seen so much sarcasm in a 4 star reviews. Then again, I suspect the bean counters total the units sold just to determine what percentage of their customers are complete morons.
Totally. Anyone with inside info at Denon care to tell us if any of these have actually sold? I guess we'll know in a few months time when the prices come down to about $40 or so at eCost.com.

everyone knows you need a $500 ethernet cable if you have a $10,000 desk...

man.. these gas prices are driving up everything! :p

When digital interfaces and cables became popular, cable manufacturers panicked, called an emergency meeting of the marketing team, and realized that they could continue to rip off customers by simply lying.

Back