$50 Logo Contest

shocksyde: Im trying to utilize the negative white space to form the text, i think it'll be okay to have some places open at the edges, however, i did take your advice into account, and closed up some of the bigger gaps.

I didn't really like the oil barrel I added, because it introduces a perspective that is otherwise non-existent in the logo, so I tried this "oil bubbles" idea instead.

fuel empire 3.jpg

That looks sweet... seems like its getting too complicated though, with the bubbles. I love the imagery of the gas pump, but at the same time I'm not sure about it extending below the base of the graphic...

The more I think about it the better I'm liking hyperion's idea of a type of symbol...

haha man...all the detail wasted! (like all one thousand lil window lights!) :rolleyes:

*sob*....well...here's something different...i dunno, maybe this is a little more...*sob* ... symbolic? :cool:

FE symbolic.jpg

the vectors are still somewhat rough, but conceptually it is different than the one before. Maybe you can use this simpler one for print...and the other one for web? Let me know what you think

Heres three more I whipped up. In my opinion, the Empire Building tells a lot about your company, Fuel Empire. Of course, with color I will be able to highly enhance the logo but I understand you require 3 bit for printing purposes. I kept the drop shadows and everything else "sharp" for it will appear nice and sharp after printing.

Thank you.

RandysWay

fuelempire3.jpg

fuelempire4.jpg

fuelempire5.jpg

RandysWay said:
Of course, with color I will be able to highly enhance the logo but I understand you require 3 bit for printing purposes. I kept the drop shadows and everything else "sharp" for it will appear nice and sharp after printing.

I think they require 1-bit (black and white only), not 3-bit. You'll need to lose the bevel effect you have on your text.
:(

xENo said:
black and white if possible, maybe 1 shade of gray. Totals should not exceed black, white, and possibly gray. This may be cut as vinyl or printed black and white, so thats why I have a 3 color limit.

^^^^

I totally missed my typo there. I thought you were implying I was only able to use black and white, no gray.

xENo, are you able to print a bevel effect as I have it on my image?

Randy

Nope.... imagine it like this.... they only have 1 color of ink.... and no method of dithering.

um...so the logo i made...is that a no-go? should i keep refining it, simplifying it, or scrap it? appreciate it if you can give me a direction to go towards.

ive got one thats gonna be completed soon

too damn busy with work to get it finnished and ready for show

so hold tight

...as I'm a professional graphic designer myself...

I'm just wondering, xENo, as a professional graphic designer, with very specific needs,
wouldn't it make more sense (and save heaps of time, and money) to do the job yourself?

I've been doing it for 10 years.... to be blunt, I'm out of ideas. I figured I'd try this contest thing out and see how it goes.

ettu: I like the city idea very much and consider it to be the top choice at this point. Variations and final details at this point don't matter much, the concept is there. We'll work on details and variations if that one is ultimately selected. The detail on the buildings moreso than the lights are what is putting me off on that one. Shrunk down would be even more difficult to cut or print on a business card...

Here's a simple idea I had. As usual, all this can be resized/refonted/whatever...

fuel-empire.jpg

and of course more detail can be added if needed.

and yes, I realized its off-center...illustrator did that when it exported for some reason...that can be fixed in the final obviously

Siege: That's awesome. With some font work, that could be a winner.... It's not as extravagant or cool looking as ettu's city, but would be much easier for print and vinyl cut. Maybe try a wider font?

daddybigwords: That's a really good one too. If the lines on the barrels were solid it would be an easier print... theres a lot of detail that would be lost if this image were shrunken.

Damn, now theres 3 really good ones in the running.... sorry if I seem picky, this is the first big project for my business....

here it is with a different font. I've got a few more fonts I could try later today

fuel-empire-newfont.jpg

fuel-empire-arial.jpg

fuel-empire-impact.jpg

Update: here's 2 more

Update again: a bit different layout.

fuel-empire-newlayout.jpg

I like the 3 cans... maybe move the left can closer to the right?

Have any wide fonts?

Ok this is just a little change. This is really as wide as the font will go. Or maybe I'm just not understanding you right...when you say make the font "wider" do you want the letters thicker, taking up the same amount of horizontal space, or do you want the text to take up more horizontal space? If the latter, I can do that a couple ways: would you rather have more space between each letter or just have them all kind of stretched so each letter is wider? might be able to get a couple examples up tonight or tomorrow morning.

empire-normalwide.jpg

I have some new ideas I'm going to play around with...maybe incorporate into existing designs...I'll post them tomorrow...theres no deadline...is there?

Nope, no deadline.

So far siege's fuel cans are winning for their simplicity, and they look pretty cool. :D I wish I could use the city, but with what I need to do with the logo I just can't. :(

here's one with the font stretched to take up more horizontal space. am I getting any warmer on this? still not sure exactly what you want when you say "wider."

Let me know what you think.

fe-widefont.jpg

fuel_empire4.gif

fuel_empire5.gif

New font, removed fine details. I'd appreciate a deadline so we don't feel like we're submitting tons of revisions and getting nowhere. :p

daddybigwords said:
New font, removed fine details. I'd appreciate a deadline so we don't feel like we're submitting tons of revisions and getting nowhere. :p
Very nice

Damn, you just took first place away with those barrels.... I didnt think it would look *that* good cleaned up. I'm waiting on ettu's final entry and then I'll make a decision.

A few things:

* I really love the Propaganda look, however I feel it's a tad off target for a motoring/vehicle dealership.

* I love love daddybigwords's cleanup heaps, however it doesn't sit right with me on a letterhead or a business card.

Hyperion said:
A few things:

* I really love the Propaganda look, however I feel it's a tad off target for a motoring/vehicle dealership.

Vehicle dealership? It's not a dealership, it's a network of car-related websites. I agree that a dealership would have to be more conservative though. Glad you like it. :)

This contest ended yet?

Just saw this one today, and want to make sure that it still open before I waste my time...

Thanks!

[H]ellbringer said:
This contest ended yet?

Just saw this one today, and want to make sure that it still open before I waste my time...

Thanks!
No winner has been announced so I think you still have time to give it a shot.

These samples are to address Hyperion's concern that my logo wouldn't look good on a business card or lettedhead. This is a 5 minute job, I'm sure you could do better. Let me know what you think. Oh, and before you get freaked out, I got the name off your website, and I got the website link off your [H]ardOCP profile. :p

fuel_empire7.png

lol... I wouldnt get freaked out.. I know how the internet works. :D

I'm only accepting 2 more entries... ettu's and hellbringers.

Aside from these 2 entries, the contest is closed for entries

xENo said:
lol... I wouldnt get freaked out.. I know how the internet works. :D

I'm only accepting 2 more entries... ettu's and hellbringers.

Aside from these 2 entries, the contest is closed for entries

Ah, sorry, scratch me off. I don't think I'll have the time... :(

god thats scary...waiting for "final" entry from me...bleh puts a lot of pressure on me :rolleyes: ...just got off work, I'll try to have it up by tonight i guess

here goes nothing...

okay, Xeno, I took in to consideration your preferences while trying to come up with a revised design.

1. you liked my city, as it truly represents an empire, but said it was too complicated for print due to the complex silouette and many windows, so, I simplified the before mentioned, while retaining the elegance and extravagance of the city:

fuel empire 4.jpg

2. Looking for a totally new symbol representing "fuel", I found a symbol that represents the quintessence of the oil/fuel industry - the oil rig (i think its called that). It is the powerful machinery by which we extract fuel from the earth. The symbolism of its raw power surpasses that of oil pumps, oil bubbles, oil barrels, oil cans...etc. The oil rig is rendered in a simple yet powerful silouette -

FE5.jpg

I fidgeted with ideas for awhile, but finally it came to me, that it would be ideal to combine the two for a stunning logo -

FE final.jpg

simple yet elegant, and filled with a sense of domineering power, this logo would be perfect. The empire city is straddled by the powerful diagonals of the oil rig, the ultimate symbol of power in your "fuel empire". The font is bold, and perspectivally skewed to create a sense of grandeur to the viewers. The entire design simply emanates "fuel empire".

If that's not simple enough for the printers, here is an alternative with pure silouettes, still retaining the grandeur and elegance. (also if you liked the 1st or the 2nd one for its even simpler approach, those are available too)

FE final alternative.jpg

Well, thats my last entry and a "lil" speech to hopefully convince you :)

I wish everyone who submitted designs the best of luck.

ettu, that's funny...I was actually thinking of trying another design using that same type of oil rig....guess its a good thing he closed the entries before I started it...although, I doubt I woulda been done any time soon. nice work

thanks siege, you did nice work as well. I think we all worked too hard (i know i did) for this contest - thats what happens when there's good competition - it raises the bar for everyone. well, I think im going to go relax for a bit...

Ettubrute said:
thanks siege, you did nice work as well. I think we all worked too hard (i know i did) for this contest - thats what happens when there's good competition - it raises the bar for everyone. well, I think im going to go relax for a bit...

thanks for the compliment man. Yeah, I'm sure we all did work quite hard on this one...it seemed so simple yet wasn't. I, for one, spent a few of my breaks/lunches at work (and maybe a little bit of work time but don't tell :) ) playin around with stuff.

Back