4x GTX 480 SLI (+OC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering as well, would 2 5970 TOXIC be better than 4 GTX480. If the TOXIC price is around 1000$ then 2 of those would cost like 4 GTX480 (at MSRP of 499$). Would love to see what is really better for gaming for a real enthusiast, ATI or Nvidia. Well the TOXIC would be better at least for clocking since it got a better cooler, but i guess an enthusiasts can get liquid cooling :p

Well there's already been a bench showing that 3x GTX 480s in SLI are considerably faster than 2x 5970s in Crossfire, so I'm guessing the GTX 480s are going to be faster regardless, especially if it's 4x GTX 480s.

Dude, he posted this thread at 8pm last night. Perhaps, just perhaps he has a job and when he gets off work he will continue this thread? You could be right, he may never post and if it had been a week or something I could understand the BS call.

We'll know shortly, but I've NEVER seen a person start a SERIOUS thread about something like this and not be ACTIVE in his own thread. I mean this is ditch work until you get shit working kind of setup. I know that not everyone can do that, just saying.

Well there's already been a bench showing that 3x GTX 480s in SLI are considerably faster than 2x 5970s in Crossfire, so I'm guessing the GTX 480s are going to be faster regardless, especially if it's 4x GTX 480s.

Yea, probably a win for 4x 480. But, the benches for the 4gb Toxic show it to be considerably faster than a reference 5970, two of them likely smashing the 3x 480 benches at least.

Last edited:
i sense a 4th GTX 480 being posted up for sale in the forums soon..

1. nvidia does not support quad SLI with 4 separate cards.. it only supports quad SLI with dual gpu cards..
2. physX does not work in SLI.. you would have to install them as seperate cards and even then it will only use the primary nvidia card as the physX card..
3. i hope you plan to use tripe 30" displays otherwise you wont see a performance gain nor would any of these cards break sweat running any games..

also you better invest in a 20a breaker just for the plug the computers being plugged into because a standard 15a breaker with 2-3 plugs on it can not handle that system.. but good luck on the build.. also invest in a high end surge protector because a lot of them max out at 1500-1800 watts..

He can have two systems, 3xSLI and CrossfireX+PhysX.

Btw for people who are worried about the wiring, there are places in the world that use 230V supply voltage, for the same amount of power, the current will be half as much as using a 110V supply,

Very cool, but most definately overkill, even for an enthusiast (IMHO). Is quad-SLI even possible with 4 seperate cards? I think he may have bought one too many. Oh well, he can always sell the extra ones once he manages to get this rig running. I just hope he has a flux capacitor lying around to supply the 1.21 jiggawatts of power that beast is going to demand.

As for me, I just get giddy looking at all that hardware in the same pic. If I could afford just a pair of either one of those cards without having to live on bread and water, I'd be set. Kudos to the OP for being able to snatch up all those man-toys.

I'm talking about a pair of them, see above.

Haven't seen a pair of them, but 4x scaling for both SLI and Crossfire tends to suck, 3x 480s would still win in things like Metro 2033 and things with lots of tessellation and these cards are like $1k a piece right? So 3 480s are quite a bit cheaper anyway.

Don't get me wrong, two of these would be a powerhouse,

Heatlesssun dude, you need to maybe chill out a little, not respond to every other post, and live up to your forum name a little better.

He can have two systems, 3xSLI and CrossfireX+PhysX.

Btw for people who are worried about the wiring, there are places in the world that use 230V supply voltage, for the same amount of power, the current will be half as much as using a 110V supply,

Well he's been asked a thousand times all these things and no answers so lets just see if he shows back up tonight. If not then this is just all BS anyway.

+1. Only one monitor, even a 30" for this build isn't going to get you much. You really need at LEAST 3x 1920x1080 monitors and two 480s in SLI won't work for PhysX. You need to think about what you're trying to do here. And like I said, are you SURE your wiring is up to the task? That rig will need its OWN circuit on normal wiring, 1440W is typically considered the maximum sustainable load for a 15 amp circuit unless you have a 20 amp circuit, which for a regular wall outlet is typically a custom job, assuming you're in North America. Looked into a few years ago when I had another 15 amp circuit added to my office. If you've not planned for this you better.

I've got three 24" ready to go but will be ording a new set, not sure yet if I want to go 120Hz for 3D gaming yet or not.

Not flaming him at all, awesome hardware but you just don't plug that thing into your average house outlet and away we go. I've been through overloading circuits and am trying help him out. If doesn't have a dedicated circuit for this build it won't work without tripping his breaker, this rig is EASILY capable of pulling 1200W+. Once you start pulling that kind of power through a normal 12 amp house circuit and turn on the lights or god forbid a hair dryer, BAMM! Been there, done that. And I was simply informing him that SLI PhysX DOESN'T EXIST.

Sounds like he's not done his homework, that's all.

Nothing insane about it, but he's not thought it through. He should know that SLI PhysX dosen't exist and I hope he knows how much power he's drawing through his circuits and what they're rated at. I've not to date built anything nearly as power hungry (though I have a lot of stuff in my office) and power became a CRITICAL issue for me on my last build. I couldn't turn on things without CONSTANTLY tripping the breaker and why I spent $600 on a new circuit. Just to run my freaking computer.

When you build systems like this you simply don't plug them into a convential circuit without understanding the power implications cause they WILL show up.

I'm all about a big ePenis. The rig I build next month will be almost as as expensive, maybe more if I get a 1 TB SSD. I'll be taking the two 480s and 980x in my sig rig and adding a third 480 on an Asus Rampage III Extreme with 12 GB of RAM and going to 3 1920 x 1200 monitors.

I just smell a little BS became first he shows us four 480s and then 10 minutes latter shows us two Black Edition 5970s and says he's going to put two 480s in a rig for PhysX and that dosen't WORK and he didn't say how he was going to pull that off.

For a SINGLE 30" monitor?

And no mention of the circuit power, the #1 consideration in building something like this. I have TWO dedicated 12 amp circuits in my office and even I would need a third to run this rig.

When he can turn it on and run Furmark without tripping a circuit breaker I'll buy him a game of his choosing!

Thank You!!! I've been trying to tell people that you don't plug this thing into a standard US house outlet with ANYTHING else on the circuit when it hits peek power. Like you I upgraded my power but I simply went with another 12 amp circuit. That'll handle 1440 watts no problem.

It's also about DETAILS. Usually these kinds of threads are full of them and people explain things like "How are you going to power the thing?" and I mean from the socket not the PSU and SLI PhysX.

Not trying to slam I just WANT TO KNOW!:)

In this case is more than this. We're talking about actually being able to turn on the rig and supply it enough power to RUN. This rig ALONE when running at max power would need to be on its own circuit in a normal house probably. This explains why: http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/maxload.html

And as others have pointed out half of what he said is was trying to do doesn't even work. As it not supported by the drivers.

Please read the thread. It's not just a simple matter of power usage. 4 480s in an i7-980x overclocked to 4Ghz reaches the limits of normal 15 amp house circuits. That rig when running at full would need to have its OWN circuit, nothing else. Period.

Few people are setup for this and its the #1 you have to take care of to make something like this work.

I offered to buy the OP a game of his choosing if can turn this thing on and run Furmark without blowing a circuit.

Christ...

4 x GTX480 just for a 30" monitor at 2500x1600 resolution? I think you wasted about $1000 worth of graphics cards LOL ROFL.

No wonder people can't buy one cause of people like this.

4 x GTX480 just for a 30" monitor at 2500x1600 resolution? I think you wasted about $1000 worth of graphics cards LOL ROFL.

No wonder people can't buy one cause of people like this.

They aren't that hard to get, the 7800 GTX 512 was MUCH harder to get. It took me 2 days to get my first, got the next 5 days later which was this past Wednesday and will have my third Monday and I could have have the third sooner if I hadn't waited on a useless eTailer before picking up the last one from NewEgg today. Take a little effort but its not that that big of deal as long as you can keep tabs on things during the day but I know that's not a option for a lot of folks.

So two weeks to pick 3 of a brand new GPU just isn't all that bad.

4 x 480's would be kickass for folding I bet.

I'm still debating between one of those or a 5870 this time around.

Maybe the case fell on him and he can't get from under it to grab the mouse and respond.

Damn, some good detectives around here. So yeah, mods time to lock this thread.

lol, why do you really want to have this thread locked? He clearly has the cards like his claim. Do you feel insecure for only having two instead of four GTX 480s like the OP? :D

That's what I get for not reading last few posts.:D
So much for this thread.

At least he got more sense than money. He could make a profit by selling those cards instead of keeping them as a space heater.

Some pictures of four 480s together + a picture of a desktop setup = profit! $$$

Brag thread...lol.

I'm interested in power consumption. bit-tech did an interesting article on Quad ASUS Mars. Idle was like 400w :O

OP was talking **** from the start when he was talking about physx in SLI and not using hacked drivers, OP is fill of it, doesnt have the balls to run all of them at once.

To see some 4-way SLI action.

Since it seems the OP is selling these cards off, that's not going to happen.

Thus, this thread fails. :p

I could tell half way through this thread that it was gonna be filled with fail. The way the OP was responding to everyone's comments and not giving out any REAL info.

I saw kyle bans the OP for being sucha faggot

you can't run quad sli with out a dual gpu card anyways.

Do your research before you post, anyone with the EVGA 4x Classy can run these in quad-sli. ASUS has a new board on the way with the same capability. Not that its needed or even remotely feasable on air. Someone using chilled water can run these puppies in quad.

Does anyone really need a test to know this is a waste of time? 4-GPU solution from ATI or Nvidia is dead in all but name. It is an irrelevancy.

It's not him.

OP stole the pictures, tried to gain cred by hyping up the sweet hardware he supposedly has and all the money he supposedly has to burn.

All to get his post count up so he could get into the FS/T forums and scam people.

"Should I trust this guy?"
"Why would he scam you? He has four frackin' GTX 480s! He's loaded!"

Sounds like the ballad of ProphetX. Started with this flamewar about how his FX-60 and $400 motherboard were so awesome. (No he's not the OP but he joins in quickly enough, around post 26 is where he starts whipping out his e-peen.) It ends with this thread about how he was a scammer all along.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not him.

OP stole the pictures, tried to gain cred by hyping up the sweet hardware he supposedly has and all the money he supposedly has to burn.

All to get his post count up so he could get into the FS/T forums and scam people.

"Should I trust this guy?"
"Why would he scam you? He has four frackin' GTX 480s! He's loaded!"

Sounds like the ballad of ProphetX. Started with this flamewar about how his FX-60 and $400 motherboard were so awesome. (No he's not the OP but he joins in quickly enough, around post 26 is where he starts whipping out his e-peen.) It ends with this thread about how he was a scammer all along.

But he used the same name on eBay so that wasn't so brilliant. And he was going to have to produce some results like TODAY.

Okay, some PLEASE lock this. I've asked a million times because I knew this was going nowhere when he bailed after I and others started asking him questions. I would NEVER put together a rig like this and then not be posting 24x7, no real enthusiast would.

But he used the same name on eBay so that wasn't so brilliant. And he was going to have to produce some results like TODAY.

Okay, some PLEASE lock this. I've asked a million times because I knew this was going nowhere when he bailed after I and others started asking him questions. I would NEVER put together a rig like this and then not be posting 24x7, no real enthusiast would.
Heh, didn't notice that. Doesn't mean much though. ProphetX used the same name on Anand. Would make more sense to use a different name on each forum to minimize the chances of people putting two and two together, but nobody said criminals are geniuses. Bottom line is, he probably never had the cards in the first place, and decided to cut his losses when he got laughed out of the thread. Or he has the cards and burned his house down by trying to run all of those cards off a 12A household plug *shrug*.

Also, if you seriously want the mods to lock this, use the report post button. Posting "PLZ LOCK THIS!" just bumps the thread to the top some more, getting it more attention and attracting more replies. Like this one.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed this thread, although some people need to back off on the caffeine a lil bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back