4p Barebones Kit

hoth17

Weaksauce
Alright, I got the barebones kit in today. I figured I would make a thread because I know a few others are considering it.
kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14066593412...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3360wt_907

I took a video comparing the noise level of a 4p 212+ rig and this thing. I'm not sure how well you can perceive the volume from the video, but it was worth a try as I don't have a way to measure the db.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwdlhxfbfc&feature=youtu.be

edit: small correction, the last video didn't have the fans on high. Here is a second video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdT5sf34JU&feature=youtu.be

Everything was included that we expected, and the package is still sealed from from SM.
Once I get the client up and running, I'll get you some load temps.

Now that the system has been running for awhile, I can update you with temps. It seems the back left cpu (cpu1) seems to run about 10 c hotter. Possibly due to poor airflow. When folding, temps sit at about 40-42 with the fans at a notch slightly above medium. For a point of reference, the 212+ in the same rig (while in the case) sit at 29 - 32. So, if you can handle the extra size, the 212+ run much cooler and quieter.

Here are a few pics of the cooling:

P1000636.jpg

P1000639.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It really does sound like an airplane taking off, go figure. Those coolers look well made, with fans like that they must be icy cool.

The noise is expected on these 1U/2U Servers. They were designed to be placed in a Datacenter where noise isn't a problem.
Thanks for the video, your systems look great.

Very nice. Is there enough room to run it lidless with MuskyMount TM style Hyper 212's?

Looks like you would only need to MuskyMount one of the 212+, the others you could mount the simple way. You could still rack mount it too, just with 5U spacing.

Spot on zink. The case only gets in the way of one of the cpus, the rest can just be angled.

edit: update with temps

Now that the system has been running for awhile, I can update you with temps. It seems the back left cpu (cpu1) seems to run about 10 c hotter. Possibly due to poor airflow. When folding, temps sit at about 40-42 with the fans at a notch slightly above medium. For a point of reference, the 212+ in the same rig (while in the case) sit at 29 - 32. So, if you can handle the extra size, the 212+ run much cooler and quieter.

Last edited:
42C is just fine for temps. I'd actually keep cranking the fans down until you are sitting @ 55C or so and see how tolerable the noise is. You have some headroom to play with, especially with the 6128s.

Hoth,

Where do u keep your machines?

I'll post some pictures when I get back to my apartment Sunday, but my desk is near the foot of my bed and I use it as a table for my folding rigs. So, about 10 feet from my head when I sleep. :/

I'll post some pictures when I get back to my apartment Sunday, but my desk is near the foot of my bed and I use it as a table for my folding rigs. So, about 10 feet from where I used to sleep :/

FTFY

2u sexyness filled with 4p goodness :cool:

time to buy 20 more of these and throw em into a 42u rack? ;)

I'll post some pictures when I get back to my apartment Sunday, but my desk is near the foot of my bed and I use it as a table for my folding rigs. So, about 10 feet from my head when I sleep. :/

LOL! That's dedication right there. Any problems hearing your alarm clock yet? :D

LOL! That's dedication right there. Any problems hearing your alarm clock yet? :D

I suspect he will soon have problems hearing anything at all... :p

If I was in a 470 case I would watercool it, put the rad it the center, it would be great. But I don't want to do an external setup, and there is no way to fit a rad it the 2u case.

If I was in a 470 case I would watercool it, put the rad it the center, it would be great. But I don't want to do an external setup, and there is no way to fit a rad it the 2u case.

I think you could cut holes, mount two 360's on top, barbs facing in and the fans mounted on the interior side of the lid. Hose routing would be particular but not impossible. Plus, it would look like hood scoops. :D

That would work, and could be a fun mod. If I leave them how they are, I could set up a few radiators on the window sill and have all the rigs WCed.

IMAG0201.jpg

That would work, and could be a fun mod. If I leave them how they are, I could set up a few radiators on the window sill and have all the rigs WCed.

IMAG0201.jpg

That would also work and have the advantage of outputing all that heat outside the room. If you couldn't output it outside the room, it would have the disadvantage of being even more cumbersome than a Hyper212 solution.

IMAG0201.jpg
some good old fashioned PPD making going on in this picture. I love it

Wc in a 2u... That sounds fun... Thinking thin 240rad at angle in back fed by a row of 80mm fans... Shrouding required...

It is 22c when it is 17c outside.

I have stacked the systems and placed them right infront of the window, so the heat just gets dumped outside.

edit: I have some dynatron A5's coming Wed, I'll let you know which is louder when folding.

Last edited:
It is 22c when it is 17c outside.

I have stacked the systems and placed them right infront of the window, so the heat just gets dumped outside.

edit: I have some dynatron A5's coming Wed, I'll let you know which is louder when folding.
I love venting the heat, but right now I don't have to. In the area where my folding rigs are its 15.5C ambient. Right now its -12 C outside so a 1200W heater really never overcomes that.

I hate to be mister obvious here but if you are running that server with the cover off it will run hot on the left CPU as there doesn't look to be anything forcing the air through that back left CPU.

I'm not running it with the cover off. I was working on things at the time the picture was taken. Since I have stacked them all, as a rack setup (given, without the cabinet) should be. However, even with the cover off, it still is most fine. The barebones kit includes a plastic fan shroud that covers all the cpus. I think you can see some of the glare in the picture.

Late to the party. What are you getting ppd wise on the 4 x 6128 rig and what is the power draw?

I'm not running it with the cover off. I was working on things at the time the picture was taken. Since I have stacked them all, as a rack setup (given, without the cabinet) should be. However, even with the cover off, it still is most fine. The barebones kit includes a plastic fan shroud that covers all the cpus. I think you can see some of the glare in the picture.

I stand corrected.

Cool rig

For the 2u cases, one approach is to route the hoses out the back of each 2u case -- can probably drill some properly sized holes to make this very clean. Have the rad(s) on the outside of the cases.

Given the load, you could even experiment with multiple systems connected in series to one rad (go for say a 4x120 or 4x140) -- just run a single or dual pump with a dedicated 12v supply. If you use koolance quick disconnects, you can easilly experiment with this. I suspect 2+ systems in your configuration would not be an issue. That's what I would try, anyway...

Wc in a 2u... That sounds fun... Thinking thin 240rad at angle in back fed by a row of 80mm fans... Shrouding required...

I need a little help. I am tempted to buy 1 of these kits and 4 6174's but I was wondering if this board is overclockable or not. I am not knowledgeable at all about server boards but have OCing for years. Any way any help would be apprenticed

Thanks for the answer. You are getting more out of that rig than I am getting out of all 6 of my rigs combined. What did it get a stock setting.

~ 512k PPD.
The great thing is the power usage. I'm hitting about 1k PPD/watt

Ram for these boards should be no more than 1.5v. The boards max out at 1333, and when overclocking we have to go down to 1200. (1066 * 1.125). We can flash the timings down when we use ram that runs at a higher clock speeds. You should have 16 sticks of ram, 4 per processor.

Ideally, you are looking for some 1333 cl7 ram, like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231492

Now, since the ram you have has voltages of 1.55v, I'm not sure if that is an issue as is. And if it is, I don't think we have a utility that can lower the voltages currently.

You will have to ask someone who knows more than I if your ram will work.

The ram will run at 1600Mhz 7-7-7-26 @ 1.5v I will have to test 1066 @ 1.125. I do not think it will be a problem but if it is I can always buy the ram you recommend. I am assuming that the 16 sticks are to enable quad channel (populate all 4 dim slots for quad channel) which means I should just buy some new memory.

The ram will run at 1600Mhz 7-7-7-26 @ 1.5v I will have to test 1066 @ 1.125. I do not think it will be a problem but if it is I can always buy the ram you recommend. I am assuming that the 16 sticks are to enable quad channel (populate all 4 dim slots for quad channel) which means I should just buy some new memory.

The 1066 * 1.125 hoth was referring to is how he got the 1200 figure for the ram. 1066 stock speed * 1.125 due to the 12.5% OC. It is not 1.125v (which is how I interpretted your post). If you know the ram will work at 1.5v, then it should be fine.

As far as 16 sticks, you are correct. You need four sticks per cpu to enable quad channel.

Back