4k monitors

No offense but 4k at 27" is a waste for all purpose use. You wiil be forced to use windows scaling for any txt related tasks. 32" would be better. Personally I prefer 40 and above for 4k.

LG 27GN950 is an old model.
LG 27GP950 is pretty much the same monitor but with upgraded HDMI 2.1 ports and pretty much the same price tag.
Otherwise great monitor with really pleasant to look at panel. I mean if you are gonna stare at panel for hours like you do when you are in the market for big monitors then it cannot be offensive for your eyes so it has to have good light spectrum.

Asus and LG in question uses similar backlight comprised of KSF LED's so they should have similar nice pleasant picture but I didn't own Asus or anythign with this panel so I cannot confirm. Asus uses Innolux panel and LG uses as can be easily guessed LG panel. In either way they both seem fine and it is all down to features which you need.

LG has better DCI-P3 coverage and which is even more important full sRGB/Rec.709 coverage while Asus does not. How big impact it has on image quality depends on how well sRGB emulation was done. Reviews suggest it should be ok and colors which fall inside its gamut are reproduced faithfully. Of course those which do not fall inside its gamut are clipped == cannot be displayed. So for color quality LG has definitely an edge.

Asus might have an edge in gaming because of motion blur reduction (read. strobing synchronized with refresh rate) but because KSF phosphors are not most ideal for this feature you might see red hues when playing games. IF this is big issue or not perhaps best to read people reviews. On LG I can only see this effect when monitor shuts down its backlight eg. when switching modes on MISTer (and there it happens A LOT) and moving eyes at the same time I do see after-image effect like on plasma TV's but the after image is red, very very red. I wouldn't mind having ULMB, especially with VRR support on my LG even if it has red hues.

But there you have it: Asus seems to have an edge for games and is slightly bigger. LG on the other hand has better colors. LG also has hardware calibration so definitely has an edge on colors.

BTW. If 60Hz gaming is something you intend to do a lot eg. use monitor with PS5 then Asus has apparently much higher input lag in this mode.

No offense but 4k at 27" is a waste for all purpose use. You wiil be forced to use windows scaling for any txt related tasks. 32" would be better. Personally I prefer 40 and above for 4k.
Not at all a waste. You get much better text quality and ppi using 4k @ 27". I've been using 4k since 2014 in various sizes and 27" is my favorite. In games especially it is amazing.

Not at all a waste. You get much better text quality and ppi using 4k @ 27". I've been using 4k since 2014 in various sizes and 27" is my favorite. In games especially it is amazing.
I've got a 28" 4K and a 43" here. I'm going to disagree with you. I need font scaling on the former. I hate font scaling and the 43" is 10x more immersive to me than the 28".

I've got a 28" 4K and a 43" here. I'm going to disagree with you. I need font scaling on the former. I hate font scaling and the 43" is 10x more immersive to me than the 28".
You disagree with:
a) text is sharper with higher PPI
b) games are sharper with higher PPI
c) GoldenTiger favorite monitors are 4K 27"
d) all of the above
e) or what? because I do not understand logic of your post

You disagree with:
a) text is sharper with higher PPI
b) games are sharper with higher PPI
c) GoldenTiger favorite monitors are 4K 27"
d) all of the above
e) or what? because I do not understand logic of your post
No, I don't disagree that text is sharper. However, I dislike having to use font scaling. If I'm using font scaling to make it readable, I'm not getting the full benefit of having such high PPI. Games are sharper as well, but again there are some issues having a monitor that small. Not every game scales its HUD correctly at 4K. Having a 28" monitor isn't great where that's concerned. I think Mass Effect Legendary Edition does this correctly, but as I recall the original release of Mass Effect 3 doesn't just as an example. I also do not find a 28" display nearly as immersive as a larger one for gaming.

Clear enough now?

I also feel like 32" is the sweet spot for a 4k gaming monitor -- There aren't many out there right now but they are slowly starting to trickle in. May be worth looking at the Gigabyte M32U, however if you are wanting to use it with PS5 there is a caveat that it will need special settings to run 4k @ 120hz. Here's a bit about it from rtings:

"Although it's not currently part of our testing, we also checked for Sony PS5 and Xbox Series S|X compatibility with the M32U, given that this monitor is advertised for console gaming. It's compatible with most features of all three consoles, but it doesn't support Dolby Vision. Because it requires DSC 1.2a and is limited to 24Gbps over HDMI 2.1, the PS5 only works at 4k @ 120Hz with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling since the PS5 doesn't currently support DSC.

I'm not getting the full benefit of having such high PPI
To be fair the benefit of high PPI is that you do scale the text and it looks cleaner and sharper because it has a higher number of smaller pixels available to it.

However I do agree with you on the larger panels. 32" would be a minimum for desktop 4k for me. 27" (and some people's curious desire for 4k at 24") isn't useful or productive for my work cases nor immersive for gaming, no matter how 'sharp' it appears.

I also agree on the 43"+ sentiment.

To be fair the benefit of high PPI is that you do scale the text and it looks cleaner and sharper because it has a higher number of smaller pixels available to it.

However I do agree with you on the larger panels. 32" would be a minimum for desktop 4k for me. 27" (and some people's curious desire for 4k at 24") isn't useful or productive for my work cases nor immersive for gaming, no matter how 'sharp' it appears.

I also agree on the 43"+ sentiment.
I've used the 27" LG 5K monitor for a long time. It really is an upgrade in clarity. I still miss it, but I needed more physical space.

32" 4K without scaling is just about the limit of what I feel comfortable with (20/20 vision). 4K @ 27" requires sitting closer to the monitor or scaling.

Honestly, I don't see text scaling as an issue. It's not a big deal except for a few older apps.

I've been loving my QN90A. I feel like it delivers a fantastic 4k HDR experience as a monitor.

Strongly curved and lower resolution by far (3440x1440). Maybe OK for gaming to some (not me!) but not productivity.
Definitely good for gaming. UW is also better for productivity. I'm still really happy @ 27" 1440p tbh, but I'm almost 100% gaming. The 4K 48" OLED is an option I guess, but I'd like something a lot smaller.

Definitely good for gaming. UW is also better for productivity. I'm still really happy @ 27" 1440p tbh, but I'm almost 100% gaming. The 4K 48" OLED is an option I guess, but I'd like something a lot smaller.
Debatable for gaming... many games don't work in ultra wide and it is much lower resolution. The curve kills it for most productivity scenarios.

You also don't have as good productivity with a low res ultra wide as a 4k monitor. It's hard numbers: 4k provides more room than 3440x1440. The LG OLED is coming in 42" size this year. I use a smaller 4k panel right now but may upgrade!

Last edited:
I've been loving my QN90A. I feel like it delivers a fantastic 4k HDR experience as a monitor.
Damn... you really did keep it!

Still got mine and I agree. Just played Horizon Forbidden West on it and now GT7 and they look amazing. It transforms it into an ideal working screen when not gaming.

But as always a 50" desktop isn't for everyone.

Damn... you really did keep it!

Still got mine and I agree. Just played Horizon Forbidden West on it and now GT7 and they look amazing. It transforms it into an ideal working screen when not gaming.

But as always a 50" desktop isn't for everyone.

lol yea nice dude glad you're enjoying yours. The bright HDR is just fantastic. It delivers the punch of colors I love so much. Yea I wish it was a lil smaller like 45" but It's close enough to be enjoyable and very immersive lol. By the way Cyberpunk 2077 looks just awesome on full Ultra (3080Ti) on the QN90A & my favorite 1st person shooters look phenomenal I can't say I would ever be able to enjoy anything less than the QN90A bro It's that good lol.

My brother has the TUF model and it is quite good, but do not use the HDR. In HDR, the dimming zones are vertical strips from top to bottom and it looks godawful.

Aside from this, it is a great display.

Back