4K - 28" Dell P2815Q

About the panel,

M280DGJ-L30 by Innolux seems reasonable.

4k, 28", Mass production 2013 Q3.

And it is a TN panel, a reason for the cheap price.

Fearmongering. The pr says same performance and color at a lower price, and it is 28.3 inches not 28.0. So it can't be that or tn.

The scaling in Windows 8.1 is very good. The text gets sharper, and thus easier to read, than on a lower resolution screen of the same size, and photo/video content remains unscaled to take advantage of the resolution as well.

Basically, it's perfect, and if you'd used it you wouldn't want to go back :).

Ok, good to know. I don't have (or want) Windows 8.1 though. How is scaling in Win 7?

Exactly.

So tired of the "but it's not 16:10," whining. 16:10 lovers should be complaining about the ridiculous prices they charge for most 30" 16:10 monitors and fact that they are all wide gamut.

We do complain about those things too. :)

I got the Windows 8 upgrades back when you could get them for $15/copy. I'd likely still be running 7 x64 Pro; but at the same time, I don't have any issues. It's fast and stable :).

I want. I won't actually mind a fast 4K TN monitor for games - I'll continue to use my IPS ones where graphics fidelity is key.

doubt its that one, says ccfl backlight.
I don't see any mentioning about 28-incher's backlight.
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/secure/2013-12-2-dell-ultrasharp-ultra-hd-monitors

Coming Soon: Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor– Expected to be The Industry’s Most Affordable Ultra HD Monitor
The Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor will be available in early 2014. Offering the same incredible Ultra HD screen performance as the Dell UltraSharp 32 and Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitors, but priced at under $1,000, this 28-inch monitor can help boost user productivity with its multiple adjustability features, including the ability to pivot to portrait mode, plus multi-task applications. The energy efficient monitor has multiple input ports that allow users to display content from smartphones and tablets on the larger screen, and conveniently connect laptops, PCs and essential accessories. Dell expects this monitor will be the most affordable Ultra HD monitor in the industry when it is launched.

Fearmongering. The pr says same performance and color at a lower price, and it is 28.3 inches not 28.0. So it can't be that or tn.

where does it say in the PR that it's 28.3"? i can't see that.

The CMO TN Film panel (M280DGJ-L30) seems a good fit and likely candidate given the price

the pricing seems really odd

24" $1399
32" $3499

28" under $1000

I realize they are UltraSharp vs Ultra HD, but as others have said, to get the price that much lower, what was given up? IPS? And why no UltraSharp 27 or 28" for say $2000?

If Apple produces a 27" at $2,000 or less, they will get my money this time (have a Dell 27" 1440p right now).

As another person said, 2014 could be a great year for resolution upgrading! NVidia Maxwell plus 4K monitor.

The reason is because this 28" will not be part of the UltraSharp lineup. It's model name is P2815Q. The "P" means it is going to part of Dell's "Professional" series, as opposed to the UltraSharp lineup where the model names all begin with "U" or (for the new 4K monitors) "UP". We may see Dell eschew a 27"/28" monitor for the UltraSharp series; it remains to be seen. For now, the UP2414Q and UP3214Q are Dell's flagship models for the UltraSharp series. It appears this P2815Q will be their flagship for the Professional series.

The reason for the price difference between the two lineups immediately brings some things to mind. Backlight, gamut, color profiles, connectivity, and panel type. You're guaranteed to see a wLED implementation for a backlight instead of the newer GB-r type, which also means it will be standard gamut and not wide gamut. You'll only have sRGB for a color profile. The panel may be IPS, or it may be a VA variant; definitely not IGZO. All these factor into a <$1000 price.

It appears that Dell wants to trail blaze into 4K while meeting the Korean/Chinese manufacturers head to head with the roll out. Sure, people will be able to buy cheap 4K monitors from the latter- good luck gambling with quality and x returns before being somewhat pleased with the panel. At least with Dell, you get a fantastic warranty and panels from the best bin.

The reason is because this 28" will not be part of the UltraSharp lineup. It's model name is P2815Q. The "P" means it is going to part of Dell's "Professional" series, as opposed to the UltraSharp lineup where the model names all begin with "U" or (for the new 4K monitors) "UP". We may see Dell eschew a 27"/28" monitor for the UltraSharp series; it remains to be seen. For now, the UP2414Q and UP3214Q are Dell's flagship models for the UltraSharp series. It appears this P2815Q will be their flagship for the Professional series.

The reason for the price difference between the two lineups immediately brings some things to mind. Backlight, gamut, color profiles, connectivity, and panel type. You're guaranteed to see a wLED implementation for a backlight instead of the newer GB-r type, which also means it will be standard gamut and not wide gamut. You'll only have sRGB for a color profile. The panel may be IPS, or it may be a VA variant; definitely not IGZO. All these factor into a <$1000 price.

It appears that Dell wants to trail blaze into 4K while meeting the Korean/Chinese manufacturers head to head with the roll out. Sure, people will be able to buy cheap 4K monitors from the latter- good luck gambling with quality and x returns before being somewhat pleased with the panel. At least with Dell, you get a fantastic warranty and panels from the best bin.

Amazon has a 39" 4K TV that can be used as a monitor, $499. So if they can make a TV for that price, I am sure Dell can easily produce a 28" monitor for under $1,000.

what I am wondering is how this will perform compared to my Dell U2711 which is an ultrasharp, specs seem in line with the new ultrasharp 4K monitors (U2711 has 110% color gamut, 6 ms g-g, 1.07 billion colors, 96% adobe RGB). I have a feeling the new Dell 28" won't offer the same specs.

the other problem is the gpu(s) needed to power these things, Nvidia recommends MINIMUM GTX780 SLI to power games on a 4K monitor! So $1000 for the monitor and $1000 for the new GPUs. I would probably need a new PSU as well as mine is only 850. Unless the Maxwell use much less power...

I wanna see if our friendly suppliers in Korea get a hold of any of these 4k panels.

4K monitors for 400-500? Yes please. Knowing Dell, the quality control will be better on the Korean panels.

That being said I don't even think that my 780's in SLI are enough for a 4k display, and I'm fine with how things look on 1440p, so I don't know if this really has a point to me. Text would also be stupid small on it, and most things would have to be zoomed in on in order to look decent, which would utterly defeat the point of having a higher ppi display... not sure if I see a reason for this...

Amazon has a 39" 4K TV that can be used as a monitor, $499. So if they can make a TV for that price, I am sure Dell can easily produce a 28" monitor for under $1,000.

That TV isn't 60hz, the electronics to provide 60hz operation are not simple. Dell is also a very different business model from these bargain basement Chinese companies which are similar to the $300 Korean 27"s... dell does not price their 27" monitors to compete with them, because they're not real competition. Businesses don't purchase that $499 TV or a $300 Qnix, they are, however, going to purchase Dell professional and ultrasharp monitors. There's obviously going to be some kind of compromise with the P-series 4k monitor, otherwise Dell wouldn't be making one because they wouldn't want to cannibalize their own sales. It'll be lower end in some way for sure.

I would probably need a new PSU as well as mine is only 850. Unless the Maxwell use much less power...

You have way more PSU than you need right now, 850W is for SLI and triple SLI setups. 850W is plenty for 2 GTX 780s. Total system power consumption with an OCed Haswell CPU and 2 780s is less than 700 watts(at the PSU, not at the wall). And that's assuming everything is at 100% load, which never happens.

You have way more PSU than you need right now, 850W is for SLI and triple SLI setups. 850W is plenty for 2 GTX 780s. Total system power consumption with an OCed Haswell CPU and 2 780s is less than 700 watts(at the PSU, not at the wall). And that's assuming everything is at 100% load, which never happens.

If this forum had reps, I would be heaping them on you about now. FINALLY some other soul that comprehends power usage! :p

If this forum had reps, I would be heaping them on you about now. FINALLY some other soul that comprehends power usage! :p

I use a 650W Seasonic for GTX670 SLI (previously HD6950 CF) and an overclocked 2500k with a stack of drives, but that's because I can add.

Most forum-goers here seem to young to have taken arithmetic...

Most forum-goers here seem to young to have taken arithmetic...

I think many forum-goers think of the wattage of the PSU as the wattage drawn rather than the wattage supplied. I.e. they think of a 500W PSU as drawing a maximum of 500W, and thus at 80% efficiency supplying only 400W rather than supplying 500W and drawing 625W.

How good this monitor will be for gaming?

I think many forum-goers think of the wattage of the PSU as the wattage drawn rather than the wattage supplied. I.e. they think of a 500W PSU as drawing a maximum of 500W, and thus at 80% efficiency supplying only 400W rather than supplying 500W and drawing 625W.

Yup. I've seen 550W at the wall, with the hungrier (slightly) AMD cards, under a combined Furmark/Prime95 x64 load. That's about 500W max draw for the box.

How good this monitor will be for gaming?

That's what we're waiting to find out!

A stripped-down IPS monitor would be ideal. No wide-gamut saturation errors, no input lag from OSD/scalers, just GPU output straight to the panel.

It has not been released...sees gaming rig in sig..u trollin?

No!! U3014 is too expensive for me. So if this display is good for gaming, then it will be a economical solution for my next upgrade.

Last edited:
Why is the U3014 has so many negative reviews? I thought it's suppoed to be like one of the best besides these 4k monitors, according to most reviews like Anantech, TFTCentral, etc.

Why is the U3014 has so many negative reviews? I thought it's suppoed to be like one of the best besides these 4k monitors, according to most reviews like Anantech, TFTCentral, etc.

U3014 is an excellent display. But anything more than 1500 is out of my reach. So if I am getting a 28.3 inch solition for less than 1000, I will always prefer to go for it.

No!! U3014 is too expensive for me. So if this display is good for gaming, then it will be a economical solution for my next upgrade.

Economical? Try extreme waste of money to the max for gaming with your PC. It is likely going to cost at least 1000$ and your PC is far too weak to handle 4K in games.

Buying a 4K monitor for gaming is silly and in now way 'economical' since the highest end hardware (2x 290x/780 ti) struggles and requires visual compromises (reducing graphical settings) to maintain decent frame rates.

Last edited:
Economical? Try extreme waste of money to the max for gaming with your PC. It is likely going to cost at least 1000$ and your PC is far too weak to handle 4K in games.
PCs and 4K displays are for many use, not only for gaming. Do not monopolize 4K displays only for gaming.
Photo /video editing,publishing, medical solutions etc do not need SLI/Crossfire configurations but high resolution. ANd those applications don't even need 60Hz refreshing.

I am very satisfied with Seiki 39" 4K @ 30Hz, and GTX780 oc is (for me) enough even for 4K gaming.

I don't see any mentioning about 28-incher's backlight.
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/secure/2013-12-2-dell-ultrasharp-ultra-hd-monitors

Coming Soon: Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor– Expected to be The Industry’s Most Affordable Ultra HD Monitor
The Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor will be available in early 2014. Offering the same incredible Ultra HD screen performance as the Dell UltraSharp 32 and Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitors, but priced at under $1,000, this 28-inch monitor can help boost user productivity with its multiple adjustability features, including the ability to pivot to portrait mode, plus multi-task applications. The energy efficient monitor has multiple input ports that allow users to display content from smartphones and tablets on the larger screen, and conveniently connect laptops, PCs and essential accessories. Dell expects this monitor will be the most affordable Ultra HD monitor in the industry when it is launched.

CCFL is old tech not likely used in new released monitors, especially budget ones.

Buying a 4K monitor for gaming is silly and in now way 'economical' since the highest end hardware (2x 290x/780 ti) struggles

Really? I thought [H] demonstrated quite clearly that you get modest performance with one card and good performance with two. The recent Legitreviews article indicates that the 780 is VRAM limited, but only just, and only at the highest settings.

Do want but I wont be buying one until 60hz is posible without stitching and maxwell/GCN2.0 are available

they'll undoubtedly have some crap AG coating on them to stifle clarity

What's wrong with stitching?

If you're running on multiple AMD cards that don't use XDA Crossfire (anything that isn't R9 290/x's), then you get Eyefintiy+Crossfire issues.

nVidia cards sometimes have issues detecting the tiled displays correctly and then you end up either using 30Hz or running 2 independent panels.

So basically it's driver issues on both camps.

Well, no one is certain that AMD will actually fix their drivers; they've promised to do it, but Crossfire + Eyefinity has never properly worked. Yay AMD.

Nvidia's problem is far more likely to get fixed quickly, and could be their fault or the display manufacturer's fault, or both, and could be fixed by either or both.

I guess it's not as simple as I was thinking, but I do lean Nvidia for reasons like this, since I've been using two GPUs for higher resolutions for a few years now.

As far as I can tell, there aren't really any driver issues on Nvidia's part anymore. It's still using the somewhat questionable auto-detected 'behind the scenes' Mosaic that you can't manually configure, so whether that will work properly with the EDIDs these monitors release with is anyone's guess.

But now that they've worked out the EDID issues, I have not had a single problem with my Asus PQ321. Even games that sites had reported as broken with the stitching(metro last light, for example) all seem to work correctly for me. Granted I haven't tried every game on the planet, and sometimes games do start on only one-half of the screen, but once setting resolution correctly I haven't seen any problems.

It's definitely not 100% perfect but manufacturers wouldn't be releasing these displays now if single-stream displays were just a couple months around the corner... it's unlikely we'll see any mass produced for a while. So, if you want 4k this year, it's gonna be multi-stream.

I'd prefer something semi-matte like the coating used on the U3014- why would you want a pure glossy coating?

Vibrant colors for design work, if this is a IPS panel.
My U3011 colors are dull compared to the Catleap and Apple 27" I had before.

just bought the Seiki 39'' a month ago for 520$ but I can't wait to sell it and nab this in February/March

I bought a Seiki 39" 4K about two weeks ago at approximately ~$500 USD. Its now down to about ~$405. While I really like the Seiki my feeling is that we will start to see HDMI 2.0 versions of UHDTVs becoming more and more common in 2014 if not early 2014 (first and second quarter).

So I think I'll be looking into the possibility of returning the Seiki SE39UY04 4K and may just spend a little more on something like the Dell 28" or maybe even their upcoming oddball 3440x1440 display,...

Ok, good to know. I don't have (or want) Windows 8.1 though. How is scaling in Win 7?

We do complain about those things too. :)

Windows 7 scaling is horrible. If you want decent scaling (Still not as good as OSX) you need 8.1

Wow, as an unabashed resolution junkie, (ever since my P4 Dell Inspiron 4150 14.1" 1600x1200) totally drool worthy, but way out of my budget. (I've been drooling over the 15" MacBook Pro as well, but can't justify spending the cash for the config I want, when my current one (2008 model, 1st gen unibody) works great now that it has 512 GB SSD and 750 GB traditional HDD mounted internally. And since its C2D It runs Mavericks)

having nowhere to move my current monitor, (Dell 24" 1920*1600) I'm going to stick with what I've got. (and on the power supply, I know I'm way overpowered, 750W PCP&C for a quad-core i7 and one Radeon HD5770, but 750 was the smallest PSU they were selling at the time.)

Buying a 4K monitor for gaming is silly and in now way 'economical' since the highest end hardware (2x 290x/780 ti) struggles and requires visual compromises (reducing graphical settings) to maintain decent frame rates.

But then i don't have too many choices. I can't see any 30 inch 2560 X 1600 display that would cost less than 1000$. So this is the only alternative. There will be hardly any difference between 30 incha nd 28.3, but extra resolution will always be an added advantage, not only in gaming, but overall.

1) More clarity because of pixel density
2) Less scrolling
3) Less Anti Alias

For the record, my 4920k with dual eVGA 780 GTX SC does not struggle with games. I can run BF4 and Bioshock Infinite on High/Ultra settings just fine. BF4 runs 50-60fps most of the time with sli and Bioshock infinite on high runs 30-50fps on a single card. I can play with higher settings if I SLI. Basically the biggest limitation is VRAM. Max setting on either games uses over 3gb.

Playing at 4k is awesome. Economical? No. But Economical is not [H].

Back