4890s getting no love!

Brampton_Boy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
137
With the release of the 5000 series, a gamut of 4890s are flooding the used market for <$150.

It is still an excellent performing card, and when overclocked, gives a GTX 285 a run for its money.

Yet, whenever people are asking for midrange card recommendations, the overwhelming favorites are the 4870, 260 and the 5770.

While I can appreciate the merits of a direct X11 capable card, the paucity of titles that utilize the technology still has me leaning towards the 4890 (unless the 5850 can be found for MSRP)

Personally, I am running two 4890s in CF and have been extremely pleased with the performance. So far, every game I have tried seems to scale quite well with CF (Stalker, Dragon Age, MWF2), with the only real complaint being fan noise.

Just something to consider for those looking for a solid mid range card.
 
I upgraded from an 8800GT to an overclocked XFX 4890 and it has been great. 4890 is definitely the way to go if you don't have $300 to spend.
 
I bought my 4890 when they first came out. The darn thing always crashed on games. Still does. It squeels too.
 
Why would you not want a DX11 card? Just because there is little support for it now doesn't mean there won't be.
 
I bought my 4890 when they first came out. The darn thing always crashed on games. Still does. It squeels too.

That obviously means something is wrong with the card not that you are doing anything wrong...

Your powersupply is probably inadequate.
 
4890s are great but worth less than $150. I'll use it as a temporary card until Fermi releases, but after that you have to make a decision on a 5850/70 or GT300.
 
Why would you not want a DX11 card? Just because there is little support for it now doesn't mean there won't be.
And by the times there is real support card that can actually use the features without slowing to a crawl will be available.
It happens with pretty much every generation of cards introducing new features ;)
 
I am thinking of trading my 4870x2 with Xtreme 4870x2 cooler for two 4890s. I just want to get the original reference 4890s not the newer gimped pcb / power circuitry (no Volterra pwms) 4890s that are cheaper for ATI AIBs to crank out.

But since latest [H] review pretty much put 4890 ~ GTX 285 level of performance I'd say 4890s have been one of the most underrated cards of the 48xx vs gt2xx generation.
 
Last edited:
I bought my 4890 when they first came out. The darn thing always crashed on games. Still does. It squeels too.

Im thinking its XFX using chips that barely make the grade, my xfx 4870 crashes too, a lot less since I put fan speed up to 100% and dropped the core clock down 10 from stock but still occasionally. Or maybe the 600w ocz powersupply I got isn't that great. But I've read a few people with xfx 48x0's having similar issues.
 
I'm sorry, where can you get a 4890 < $150

I was going to build a comp with a 5870, but I think I'll grab a 4890 to tide me over until inventory keeps up with demand.
 
I picked up a used 4890 from a friend for $140CDN. I paid a shade over $200 for my original card back in June.
 
I've seen several for the $150 price range in the "for sale" forum. I bought a bios overclocked XFX 4890 for $160 from somebody on there.
 
I'm still on an 8800GT, and it's more than adequate for right now. A 4890 would be a great upgrade if DX 11 wasn't on the way. If it supported DX 11 I would be all over it. I would say that's the main reason. I'll still be getting a budget DX11 card.
 
I think it's hard to convince new builders to by used parts, so people are recommending the best deals on new cards. I know I didn't want a used card in my new computer. Most experienced users who would go for a used video card probably wouldn't need to be asking about it in the forums. Just a thought.
 
I am still running a 4870 here

*note to self*

please remember to plug fan back in after disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly of card. having your card hit 119C lol. It survived and is still in perfect working order (thank God)

Yes I did that when I performed my annual dust bunny removial and cleaning of my PC
 
The 295, 280, 285, 4870 X2, 5870, 4850 X2, and 5850 are all better than the 4890 but just slightly.

It's about equal to 9800 GX2, 260, 275, 4870, or 5770
 
The 295, 280, 285, 4870 X2, 5870, 4850 X2, and 5850 are all better than the 4890 but just slightly.

It's about equal to 9800 GX2, 260, 275, 4870, or 5770

As long as you didn't get a bad one like i did. It runs almost exactly the same as my 8800 GTS 512. :(
 
That was weird. I moved my keyboard and mouse to another usb ports and the crashing went away.
 
Yeah, it seems that 4890s beat 5770s, and since the 4800s are labeled as "old tech" now, I can find them for relatively cheaper. Sure I miss out on DX11 and eyefinity, but down the line I'll get 5800's when they've dropped.
 
The 4890 is a good enough card to keep if you already own one and don't really need the additional features and power the 5850/70 provide. There is little reason however to actually buy one if you can find a 5850.
 
yep no need for 5870 if you got 2 4890's. I was not impressed by 5870 and it is way overpriced now with vendors jacking prices up because of demand. :mad:
 
I'm still rocking a pair of 4870's (512mb) but I don't think the memory is cutting it at 1920x1200. Time to upgrade to a 5870!
 
yep no need for 5870 if you got 2 4890's. I was not impressed by 5870 and it is way overpriced now with vendors jacking prices up because of demand. :mad:

There may not be much reason to go 5870 if you've got CF 4890's, but lets not make the mistake of calling it over-priced. When was the last time the fastest GPU on the market sold for under $400? Not to mention with a very high demand, very low supply and NO competition? It is priced at WELL under what it could or even should go for considering the circumstances.
 
Honk if you love 4890's:D
i love mine(beep beep),and i'm sure i'll love it more when i slap in a pii940 in stead of my 8650:)
 
honk, honk! I own 2, They fold like no tomorrow. I have considered adding a third for tr-fire and such but not until they get a little cheaper or I find I want moar.
 
honk, honk! I own 2, They fold like no tomorrow. I have considered adding a third for tr-fire and such but not until they get a little cheaper or I find I want moar.

Folding on ATI cards is actually pretty weak.
 
Folding on ATI cards is actually pretty weak.
Given that he owns and folds on two of them, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's aware of that fact already. However, folding on ATI cards is still better than folding on nothing.
 
Given that he owns and folds on two of them, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's aware of that fact already. However, folding on ATI cards is still better than folding on nothing.

Given that he said "they fold like no tomorrow" is also a pretty good indication that he might actually not know that. The only safe bet is folding on ATI is better than nothing, clearly something is better than nothing. That's one Captain Obvious himself would have figured out. Either way, he knows now.
 
Given that he said "they fold like no tomorrow" is also a pretty good indication that he might actually not know that. The only safe bet is folding on ATI is better than nothing, clearly something is better than nothing. That's one Captain Obvious himself would have figured out. Either way, he knows now.

c'mon, he probably bought them for gaming, and folds on the side.
 
Given that he said "they fold like no tomorrow" is also a pretty good indication that he might actually not know that. The only safe bet is folding on ATI is better than nothing, clearly something is better than nothing. That's one Captain Obvious himself would have figured out. Either way, he knows now.
Well, perhaps he has a different perspective than you on that.
 
Perhaps he does. I really don't see why anyone is getting butt-hurt for me saying that they don't fold all that great? It's the truth and the guy posted did not imply in anyway that he was aware of that. Perhaps I should have added "relatively speaking"?

I wasn't insulting anyone, or belittling ATI or the 4890 in anyway. If you really have a problem with me saying they don't fold that well, that's something you need to take up with ATI or the folding team, beucase it's just a fact of the matter.
 
Yes, I realize that ATI cards don't make points anything like similar priced nvidia cards. I was implying that they have been folding which is more stressful than gaming for a long time and they still work fine. They game well too.
 
I got one here, running 900/1050.

Bought a non referance xfx which cant overclock (pisses me off). But I still love it.

BF bad company 2 was anounced to have DX11 support. I hope i can max the game in DX10, otherwise ima have to upgrade.
 
Back
Top