• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870x2 early preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't hack it on crysis, which is the only reason you'd need a card of this power. Makes me happy I picked up a second GTX280 on ebay for $350 after the Live cashback as the scaling in crysis is like 50% so it's not even close.

I'd really like to see other games....seeing strong performance in HL2 and COD4 doesn't interest me much because those were games where a single 4870/GTX280 is more than enough and the 4870 already did well in those games. I'm more concerned with how it does with the tough games, like crysis and the like. The only interesting result here is World in Conflict.
 
I Guess one of the cards or both dont show too well at higher resolutions at those settings ?
 
Still can't hack it on crysis, which is the only reason you'd need a card of this power. Makes me happy I picked up a second GTX280 on ebay for $350 after the Live cashback as the scaling in crysis is like 50% so it's not even close.

I'd really like to see other games....seeing strong performance in HL2 and COD4 doesn't interest me much because those were games where a single 4870/GTX280 is more than enough and the 4870 already did well in those games. I'm more concerned with how it does with the tough games, like crysis and the like. The only interesting result here is World in Conflict.
If you've got to justify your GTX280's, please do it in your head instead of typing it to us on the forums.
:)
 
Damn, that confirms that 1mb is definitely an improvement over 512mb at 1900x1200 and above, especially if you want to crank thbe AA.

Looks like I'll have two very lightly used 4870s to sell very shortly :)
 
Crysis is so badly coded it cant even utilize dual GPU's properly....every game smokes on a 4870x2 maxed out except crysis... clearly BADly coded...and Crytek pretty much admitted it
 
If you've got to justify your GTX280's, please do it in your head instead of typing it to us on the forums.
:)

What is there to justify? The benchmarks speak for themselves. 4870x2 is 10% slower than a single GTX280 in crysis, and GTX280 sli beats it by a factor of 1.6+ in crysis. The 4870x2 is a nice mid-range single card solution, but if you want to play THE most graphically demanding game at the best framerates, you need to shell out a bit more for the truly high end solution. The numbers bear that out. Sure, the ATI trolls may whine that crysis is "poorly coded," but then why is it that Nvidia can get multi-GPU up and running and even gets good scaling with THREE gtx 280's? If you want to play HL2 at 250fps instead of 150fps, the 4870x2 is a fine card though.
 
HOLY SHIT@!

Looks like I just found my next card :) Can't wait to drop two waterblocks on it and make it cool.
 
yea i played crysis once, never touched it again really. it was fun, but only once.

its also biased towards nvidia cards, check the logo when u launch the game
 
What is there to justify? The benchmarks speak for themselves. 4870x2 is 10% slower than a single GTX280 in crysis, and GTX280 sli beats it by a factor of 1.6+ in crysis. The 4870x2 is a nice mid-range single card solution, but if you want to play THE most graphically demanding game at the best framerates, you need to shell out a bit more for the truly high end solution. The numbers bear that out. Sure, the ATI trolls may whine that crysis is "poorly coded," but then why is it that Nvidia can get multi-GPU up and running and even gets good scaling with THREE gtx 280's? If you want to play HL2 at 250fps instead of 150fps, the 4870x2 is a fine card though.

What ??? Crysis is just ONE GAME and a poorley coded one at that. Even the hardware it was coded for has had a hard time with it ROFL.

4870x2 just a nice MID RANGE single card solution. Who are you trying to kid here ?
 
What is there to justify? The benchmarks speak for themselves. 4870x2 is 10% slower than a single GTX280 in crysis, and GTX280 sli beats it by a factor of 1.6+ in crysis. The 4870x2 is a nice mid-range single card solution, but if you want to play THE most graphically demanding game at the best framerates, you need to shell out a bit more for the truly high end solution. The numbers bear that out. Sure, the ATI trolls may whine that crysis is "poorly coded," but then why is it that Nvidia can get multi-GPU up and running and even gets good scaling with THREE gtx 280's? If you want to play HL2 at 250fps instead of 150fps, the 4870x2 is a fine card though.

crysis is a poorly coded game and using a known flawed game to point out that GTX280 is good is well uhm kinda moronic...........

oh well x2 hands the GTX280 it's ass in just about every other game tested so.......I know which one I would choose.........
 
What is there to justify? The benchmarks speak for themselves. 4870x2 is 10% slower than a single GTX280 in crysis, and GTX280 sli beats it by a factor of 1.6+ in crysis. The 4870x2 is a nice mid-range single card solution, but if you want to play THE most graphically demanding game at the best framerates, you need to shell out a bit more for the truly high end solution. The numbers bear that out. Sure, the ATI trolls may whine that crysis is "poorly coded," but then why is it that Nvidia can get multi-GPU up and running and even gets good scaling with THREE gtx 280's? If you want to play HL2 at 250fps instead of 150fps, the 4870x2 is a fine card though.
You just called the 4870X2 "mid-range".
 
What is there to justify? The benchmarks speak for themselves. 4870x2 is 10% slower than a single GTX280 in crysis, and GTX280 sli beats it by a factor of 1.6+ in crysis. The 4870x2 is a nice mid-range single card solution, but if you want to play THE most graphically demanding game at the best framerates, you need to shell out a bit more for the truly high end solution. The numbers bear that out. Sure, the ATI trolls may whine that crysis is "poorly coded," but then why is it that Nvidia can get multi-GPU up and running and even gets good scaling with THREE gtx 280's? If you want to play HL2 at 250fps instead of 150fps, the 4870x2 is a fine card though.

Haha, this is amazing. So the 4870X2 is mid-range, then, because CrossFire doesn't scale well with Crysis?

Would that make the GTX 280 a low-end budget card?
 
If you've got to justify your GTX280's, please do it in your head instead of typing it to us on the forums.
:)

JC has a valid point. In real world game play in the four games here the CoD4 and HL2 numbers just don't mean a lot. Sure the 4870x2 is faster in those games, and the GTX 280 is still so fast they gaming experienced isn't enhanced noticeably by most people.

The point of top end cards isn't so much to get 100 FPS out of already well performing games, its to get better performance out of games with already marginal performance. That's how most people decide to upgrade in forums like these, when their current hardware doesn't cut it for their favorite games, not to play HL2 at a 110 FPS.
 
I hate Crytek for ever making Crysis. A poorly coded nvidia-biased mediocre game that people will not shut up about after all this time. Burn in hell, Crytek.
 
JC has a valid point. In real world game play in the four games here the CoD4 and HL2 numbers just don't mean a lot. Sure the 4870x2 is faster in those games, and the GTX 280 is still so fast they gaming experienced isn't enhanced noticeably by most people.

The point of top end cards isn't so much to get 100 FPS out of already well performing games, its to get better performance out of games with already marginal performance. That's how most people upgrade, when their current hardware doesn't cut it for their favorite games, not to play HL2 at a 110 FPS.

Im sorry but I totally dissagree. You may think that Crysis is the be all end all of PC gaming, but thats not what many other people are thinking and that includes me. To then base your argument on that game in order to warrent paying over 500 to 600+ for a card only to get a hanfull more FPS in ONE GAME is not sound logic when the competiton will give you more across the board. Besides, its not like the X2 peforms badely in Cyrsis. Heck I'de rather settle for the 60fps of the x2 even if its lower than what the overclocked 280 does becuase in almost everything else, the X2 offers more
 
Haha, this is amazing. So the 4870X2 is mid-range, then, because CrossFire doesn't scale well with Crysis?

Would that make the GTX 280 a low-end budget card?

Let's out it to rest now. When released the 4870x2 will be the best performing single card GPU solution on the market by a good margin and will have an incredible performance to price ratio. It should be the high end card to have for most folks for several months at least.

That said, GTX SLI ain't what I'd call slow. Overpriced a bit for now, however, still offering performance overall above with the 4870x2 it looks. Now maybe 4870x2 CF is the ultimate solution, we should know soon.
 
Let's out it to rest now. When released the 4870x2 will be the best performing single card GPU solution on the market by a good margin and will have an incredible performance to price ratio. It should be the high end card to have for most folks for several months at least.

That said, GTX SLI ain't what I'd call slow. Overpriced a bit for now, however, still offering performance overall above with the 4870x2 it looks. Now maybe 4870x2 CF is the ultimate solution, we should know soon.

But thats only in Crysis as for your sli vs X2 comparison. In almost everything else it blows sli out of the water period
 
Im sorry but I totally dissagree. You may think that Crysis is the be all end all of PC gaming, but thats not what many other people are thinking and that includes me. To then base your argument on that game in order to warrent paying over 500 to 600+ for a card only to get a hanfull more FPS in ONE GAME is not sound logic when the competiton will give you more across the board. Besides, its not like the X2 peforms badely in Cyrsis. Heck I'de rather settle for the 60fps of the x2 even if its lower than what the overclocked 280 does becuase in almost everything else, the X2 offers more

Wow, I didn't even mention Crysis in the message that you are responding to. I simply said that people don't upgrade to make fast games run faster, they upgrade to make SLOW games run faster.

I never said Crysis is the end all and be all. I love the game, sorry. I'll probably buy a 4870x2 for my secondary rig, maybe even two, but I need to see some more power and thermal numbers first.

If you read my previous posts I have only complemented the 4870x2, I'm not a fanboy, I'm an enthusiast that simply want the best that I can afford!:D
 
I simply said that people don't upgrade to make fast games run faster, they upgrade to make SLOW games run faster.

But that's not true. People upgrade to make games THEY PLAY run faster. I don't have, nor ever want Crysis. So why would I buy a card based on Crysis' performance?
 
But thats only in Crysis as for your sli vs X2 comparison. In almost everything else it blows sli out of the water period

Ahhh, no. A single 4870x2 doesn't blow 2x GTX 280 SLI out of the water sorry. Just look at the reviews. I know that in HL2 for instance in 2x SLI mode, I was getting average frame rates like in the 150's all maxed out and max frames close at 300 FPS. And going to my point earlier, those speeds are totally useless.
 
Wow, I didn't even mention Crysis in the message that you are responding to. I simply said that people don't upgrade to make fast games run faster, they upgrade to make SLOW games run faster.

I never said Crysis is the end all and be all. I love the game, sorry. I'll probably buy a 4870x2 for my secondary rig, maybe even two, but I need to see some more power and thermal numbers first.

If you read my previous posts I have only complemented the 4870x2, I'm not a fanboy, I'm an enthusiast that simply want the best that I can afford!:D

Fair enough. Oh and btw....a small edit to what I said about the X2 blowing sli out of the water. I was refering to anything below the 280 cause I dont have a clue yet about the 280 sli vs X2
 
But that's not true. People upgrade to make games THEY PLAY run faster. I don't have, nor ever want Crysis. So why would I buy a card based on Crysis' performance?

But if the game is already flying then where the benefit? People are overjoyed about the prices on the 4800 and that's completely justified. But why spend $1 to get performance you can see or use?:confused:
 
But if the game is already flying then where the benefit? People are overjoyed about the prices on the 4800 and that's completely justified. But why spend $1 to get performance you can see or use?:confused:

Well for instance, its part of how you decide which card you will buy at a certain price point. Why would you buy a card that performs lower and costs more even if its performance is more than adequate ?
 
But if the game is already flying then where the benefit? People are overjoyed about the prices on the 4800 and that's completely justified. But why spend $1 to get performance you can see or use?:confused:

But that's not the case. In games like HL2 and CoD:4, I would start using edge detect. That's the benefit.
 
For the same price, Ide rather buy the card that does 200fps instead of the one that does 180. Anyways, the point is, if your an enthusiaste like I am and your looking to upgrade, you look at the average scores over all games in which card gives how many Fps. So after looking at several differnt reviews, you go with the card that has the best over all score. If theres not much of a difference, then you could go either way, but as far as its looking so far with the X2 vs 280...they wont even be close when you average out most games
 
For the same price, Ide rather buy the card that does 200fps instead of the one that does 180. Anyways, the point is, if your an enthusiaste like I am and your looking to upgrade, you look at the average scores over all games in which card gives how many Fps. So after looking at several differnt reviews, you go with the card that has the best over all score. If theres not much of a difference, then you could go either way, but as far as its looking so far with the X2 vs 280...they wont even be close when you average out most games

If I my choices were between a SINGLE 4870x2 and a GTX 280, I'd get the 4870x2 of course for a single GPU rig no question.

My point was simply that more performance in games that don't need it makes no sense to me. Real world performance in older games like HL2 E2 at 2560x1600 all maxed out isn't going to be significant, it's simply not a demanding enough game for this generation of hardware from nVidia or AMD.

I bought 3x GTX 280's to play Crysis and other hot titles coming this year, not HL2 or other Source Engine games, especially not at 1920x1200. As poorly code as Crysis is or isn't, 3x GTX 280 make it run MUCH better. HL2 is also much faster but isn't really any better.

Is anyone here going to by a 4870x2 because they don't have enough performance in HL2? Let's be honest.
 
Interesting to see how even at the preview stage, X2 beats 4870CF - in some case by a wide margin. I guess that PLX bridge is worth something, after all.

Which begs the question: is there a big diminishing return scaling to a pair of X2 cards?
 
Interesting to see how even at the preview stage, X2 beats 4870CF - in some case by a wide margin. I guess that PLX bridge is worth something, after all.

Which begs the question: is there a big diminishing return scaling to a pair of X2 cards?

That's a good question but I'm pretty sure the answer will be yes. Also don't forget that the 4870x2 has twice the memory of , that's got to have as much if not more to do with the performance difference over 4870 CF as the PLX bidige.
 
If I my choices were between a SINGLE 4870x2 and a GTX 280, I'd get the 4870x2 of course for a single GPU rig no question.

My point was simply that more performance in games that don't need it makes no sense to me. Real world performance in older games like HL2 E2 at 2560x1600 all maxed out isn't going to be significant, it's simply not a demanding enough game for this generation of hardware from nVidia or AMD.

I bought 3x GTX 280's to play Crysis and other hot titles coming this year, not HL2 or other Source Engine games, especially not at 1920x1200. As poorly code as Crysis is or isn't, 3x GTX 280 make it run MUCH better. HL2 is also much faster but isn't really any better.

Is anyone here going to by a 4870x2 because they don't have enough performance in HL2? Let's be honest.


Well yeah, I agree that if you have a rig that is powerfull enough to play most games at max at 1920X1200 then why would you upgrade, and I wouldnt either, but that reasoning doesnt stand for those that have bigger wallets and love to have the latest greatest piece of hardware to play around with.
 
Is anyone here going to by a 4870x2 because they don't have enough performance in HL2? Let's be honest.

Yeah I am, I want to use edge detect in Team Fortress 2.
 
The WiC benchmarks are really interesting. X2 is getting over 100% scaling, more than twice what a 4870 gets. I guess this has to do with the X2 having more ram maybe ?
 
My take is that the x2 may have higher clore clocks than the 4870. Plus the obvious advantage in ram
 
But that's not true. People upgrade to make games THEY PLAY run faster. I don't have, nor ever want Crysis. So why would I buy a card based on Crysis' performance?

i disagree with what you say here, IMO people would rather have a game that currently brings all hardware to it's knees, run at higher more playable framerates, than have games that can be ran currently on mid-range cheap cards, run at even higher framerates that have no bearing on gameplay

with that said, the 4870x2 IMO is a much better deal than a single GTX 280
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top