• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870, 4850 prices skus

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
2FA
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
17,078
I went to BestBuy today and looked up the new cards on their system and got the following:
(all by Visiontek, with skus)
ATi 4850 512, $199.99 8894057
ATi 4870 512, $299.99 8894048

and some kind of card labeled as "HD All-in-wonder 512mb graphics card"
$199.99,, 8894075

I thought ATi had decided to discontinue their AIW series. It was listed as a Visiontek piece as well... maybe a visiontek only piece?
 
maybe those are best buys online purchases only and not for in store pick up.
 
maybe those are best buys online purchases only and not for in store pick up.

i think generally the online prices are the same as in-store. the only items that are different are TV's. and whether or not it is the online price, BB usually sells it at MSRP. If those the BB's listed prices then they should be a lot cheaper at Newegg for sure. Damn, ATI/AMD is looking real good on the wallet right now.
 
Thanks for the prices and SKUs, Modred189.

If those the BB's listed prices then they should be a lot cheaper at Newegg for sure.
Well, Newegg seems to have an automated system where they raise prices and price gouge with new releases if there's a lot of demand. However, it sounds like ATI has plenty of 4850s ready to go and I'm sure there will be some deals to be had.

I've got my hopes up for a $179.99 or better deal in the first few weeks, but if the price war between the 4870 and GTX260 pushes the 4870 to the low-mid $200 range, I might be tempted to spend a bit more.

The AIW also sounds interesting.
 
Wow, if thats retail price, then Newegg should be lower out of the gate right?

I'm in no hurry myself to upgrade my video card so I can wait till the 4870x2 comes out and weigh my options fully then.
 
i see nothing on bestbuy, removed.. :/
NOt released, so not on the website... never said it was either. ;)

Yea, the prices seem decent, but I'm going to withhold judgment until I see some performance reviews, especially the [H] review.

Again, though, I am most curious about that AIW sku...
 
Again, though, I am most curious about that AIW sku...
Yeah, it would really be nice if they have leveraged the GPU for accelerated encoding/transcoding along with a nice HDTV tuner and DVR software or Media Center compatibility.
 
I am liking the price, but must be killing ATi on the profit margins, if indeed that is the price. Or maybe their is a good reason for it.
 
i think generally the online prices are the same as in-store. the only items that are different are TV's. and whether or not it is the online price, BB usually sells it at MSRP. If those the BB's listed prices then they should be a lot cheaper at Newegg for sure. Damn, ATI/AMD is looking real good on the wallet right now.

not always. the following days and weeks after the release of the 3850 and 3870 cards; when the prices began to climb exponentially, bb would advertise the visiontek cards near the msrp but only for online purchases and delivery.
 
not always. the following days and weeks after the release of the 3850 and 3870 cards; when the prices began to climb exponentially, bb would advertise the visiontek cards near the msrp but only for online purchases and delivery.
Cool thing is most stores will match those prices. Video card margins are good enough that they can knock $15-$20 off and still make good money.
 
Modred189, let us know when you start getting 4850 stock. I read on another site that some BestBuy stores already have their first 4850s ready and waiting in the back room. No proof yet, though.
 
What's the date for the 4870 X2? Will that be listed with the 4850 & 4870?
 
Thanks. I may just wait to see how things pan out by then & buy the victor of the newly released GPUs.
 
As soon as they hit Newegg i will be picking one up.
 
Thanks. I may just wait to see how things pan out by then & buy the victor of the newly released GPUs.
Unless the prices are very low and/or they are amazing cards, I think I'll stay with my 8800gt. It seems to be one of the best cards ever in terms of bang/buck, and the new 9800gt is basically the same thing...
 
I'm going to guess the AIW card is an HD 2600 or something similar.
 
Why is it that these cards are expected in the next two weeks but I have yet to see a firm date on them yet? This is absolutely ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, this thing is vaporware until I see it on the shelves.
 
Why is it that these cards are expected in the next two weeks but I have yet to see a firm date on them yet? This is absolutely ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, this thing is vaporware until I see it on the shelves.

June 26th was the firm date and has been for awhile :confused: .
 
June 26th was the firm date and has been for awhile :confused: .
Thanks. I have not seen it anywhere. The closest I have seen is "near the end of the month" which sounds to me like speculation rather than an official release date.
 
Thanks. I have not seen it anywhere. The closest I have seen is "near the end of the month" which sounds to me like speculation rather than an official release date.

No problem... original date was the same as the GTX 260/280, but they pushed it back purportedly to release 4850/4870 simultaneously instead of 4850 first then 4870 later and lose hype momentum.
 
Mmmmm if hd 4850 lives up to the hype and expectations and is at max 40% faster the GT, mid-level gpu market is going to turn upside down with 4850 gouging and mass gt / gts sell offs.
 
soo if its that price at BB it should be cheaper on online retailers??

BB actually had the 3870 @ 215 when it came out vs all the other retailers. They just never had it in stock so I was never able to buy one. Went for a GTS a month later though.
 
i thought there was going to be a 1GB gddr5 4870? when does that one come out?
 
tricky I think someone was saying end of July.

ATi 4870 512, $299.99<<< must be the ddr3 ones.
I don't think anyone has hard answers on how much more you will get with ddr5 yet.
Please post something if you have...anyone


After seeing the N crap cards (well they are crap compared to the price) I am looking for a 4870. hope its next week..
 
Ugh I need a 1GB card for texture modded Oblivion. I hope it doesn't take a month for one to show up.
 
Unless the prices are very low and/or they are amazing cards, I think I'll stay with my 8800gt. It seems to be one of the best cards ever in terms of bang/buck, and the new 9800gt is basically the same thing...

For such a great card, I think its glamour period is actually quite short (7 months)

There's nothing stopping the 4850 from using custom PCB designs, cheaper RAM modules, etc. to cut it down to 8800GT prices.

And current 8.6 performance seems skewed pretty badly, especially 3DMark.
 
Damn... I thought at least the 4850's were coming out today.

I'm still not sure which card I'll get, so I suppose it doesn't matter since I have to wait for the last of the new cards to come out.
 
Waiting for the 1 gb version of the 4870 as well. I hope it doesn't take more than a week or two after the 512 launches. I'm more than willing to spend the extra 50 for the 1 gb version... and I'm very eager to build my new rig.
 
Damn... I thought at least the 4850's were coming out today.

I'm still not sure which card I'll get, so I suppose it doesn't matter since I have to wait for the last of the new cards to come out.

My local Fry's store has the VisionTek 4850 on the shelves. I tried to buy one over my lunch hour today. But when the cashier tried to scan it, the system wasn't finding it. So she called for help and a manager discovered that the street date is next week. They are probably pulling them off the shelves right now...
 
wow pretty neat, this thread beat alot of sites to talking about hte aiw hd! :D
 
wow pretty neat, this thread beat alot of sites to talking about hte aiw hd! :D
I know, I'm that awesome...

But what's wierd is the BestBuy link says it has both the 3650 and TV650 gpu's on-board. Were the old aiw's like that too? Cooling should be interesting...
Also rather odd that they release it with the older 3d gpu, as opposed to a new 4xxx one.
 
I know, I'm that awesome...

But what's wierd is the BestBuy link says it has both the 3650 and TV650 gpu's on-board. Were the old aiw's like that too? Cooling should be interesting...
Also rather odd that they release it with the older 3d gpu, as opposed to a new 4xxx one.

Yep, it's always been graphics+capture chips-- they just used the various Rage Theatre chips before.

It's actually a pretty nice card for HTPC use. I do feel like using lower performing chips doesn't quite live up to an "ALL-in-Wonder" in terms of being able to game, but it should be a nice card. Not to mention it should help keep power/heat levels under control for a single slot card. That said, a $299/$349 AIW with a 4850 could do very well, as well.

If this was in AGP I'd buy in a heartbeat for an older PC I have that'd be perfect for a HTPC... maybe someone will make it AGP, given the 3850s did have AGP variants.
 
Back
Top