4670k & 4770k purchased anwhere operating performance thread

What are my odds of getting to 4.2GHz with a 4770K? Not running 100% multi-thread load 24/7, just gaming, regular apps, sometimes 100% single thread compression for an overnight backup, etc.

Probably as close to a sure thing as you can get.

I have a crap chip and it does 4.2

Hi there,

I am new to this forum but read a lot in it and now after reading the whole thread I wanted to contribute something as well.
My system:
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1000
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
i7 4770k
Noctua NH-D14
TIM: IC Diamond 24 Carat
4 x 8GB RAM Kingston Dominator clocked 1600 MHz (9-9-9-24)

Temperature monitored with: CPUID HWMonitorPro 1.19 / Core Temp / Overclocking command center OC Panel from mainboard directly connected with mainboard
Voltages monitored with: CPU-Z, AIDA64 CPUID, HWiNFO64
Tools for testing: LinX with newest binaries with AVX instruction sets (download: https://www.mediafire.com/?a2m91m43l33yysy)
Prime 95 Version 28.4 with AVX instruction sets (download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/prime95.html)
AIDA 64 Business 4.30.2900
RealBench Version 2.2
Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility

First I really have to say that a lot of people are posting clock speeds and voltages and say they are stable but not how they tested that.
There are so many different tools out there and even if you test with prime95 it makes a huge difference if you test with 27.9 (without AVX instruction sets) or with 28.4 (with AVX). And if you test with it how much of your RAM are you using - I saw that some people just tested with 1 GB with IBT/LinX – and if you use IBT or LinX are you using the newest binaries.

Well this is why I am writing here - mine is a i7 4770k - Batch# L406A784 (Malaysia) - I had luck and this CPU booted into Windows with muliplier set to 46 and vcore set to 1.2 Volts (everything else set to AUTO) - but sadly it wasn't stable with LinX (latest Linpack binaries from Intel (ver. 11.1.3.005)) or Prime95 (28.4 optimised for Haswell) - it crashed. :(

So I went down to multiplier 44, Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio 42 and VCore 1.2 Volts - . Now I tested with LinX (newest binaries and 29 GB of Ram) – every test took like 18 Minutes so I did that for nearly 2 hours 30 min (8 tests) and temps went up to crazy 95 – 98 °C – but I read that this is no problem because if it gets to hot CPU gets throttled and I hope it won’t degrade just because of these testings. So it throttled a bit of 6 % but as long as it is stable I was fine with that. Then I tested again with LinX but now with 4 GB of Ram and 100 runs and it went through without crash but well throttled from time to time and highest temp was 95 °C. I thought yes – stable and then I read about Prime95 testing and ok went to Prime95. Here some people wrote that Prime95 should run 24 hours then a system could be considered to be stable – well with this I went on to test my CPU and I configured Prime95 28.4 with custom settings -> Number of threads: 8 / Min FFT 8KB / Max FFT 4096 KB / Memory in use 29000 MB / Time to run each FFT size 3 Min. Well after just a few minutes it crashed :(

Then I went on to now 1.267 Volts and I still have just 1 hour 30 Min with 29000 MB used – after this time it crashes – temps are crazy – 100 °C and throttling is around 20 % - 30 %.
What you guys think is there an i7 4770k out there that can survive a test with Prime95 28.4 with a huge amount of memory used like mine for 24 hours? Do I just have a bad CPU?

Test with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or AIDA64 are compared with LinX or Prime95 just a little joke from what I saw. If I would just use AIDA64 or IETU it feels like my CPU could run forever testing those – tested (muliplier 44, Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio 42, VCore 1.2 Volts) with IETU for 48 hours no prob and with AIDA64 (everything activated (CPU /FPU/Cache/system memory)) - as well, temps were like 75 °C, but for me it is horrible that Prime95 crashes so fast. Please would be amazing if someone could give me her/his impression – thank you very much – great forum – really appreciate it to be here.

Last edited:
1. AIDA64 isn't recommended (despite all those outdated Haswell launch articles that advocated it). You can pass it too easily with unstable overclocks :p

2. As for XTU - you should only be using Bench, not the stress test as it is not intensive at all. Not my recommendation for stability testing either - but as a quick sanity check on your vcore, it's useful.

3. As for small FFTs - well that's a personal call. I've always tested either with custom large FFTs (1344 or 1792) or blend. If you can't pass say 1344/1344 for 6-8 hours, you're probably a longshot from anything representing 24/7 stability.

4. As a baseline, I would try to pass angelotti's x264 Stability Test for 20-30 passes. That's at a minimum. Beyond that, it's your own call (P95, OCCT:CPU, or whatever).
http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/10950_50#post_21941059

Back