4670k & 4770k purchased anwhere operating performance thread

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't care what store you bought your 4670k/4770k at.

Please post batch number, location made, cache speed vs over clock speed, operating performance results and what mother board you are running it with.
CPU-Z and real temp screen shots under Prime or Intel Burn test are appreciated. Valid CPU-Z URL validation links are helpful as well.

4770k #1 batch number L312B152 made in Malaysia.

I will run it with a Gigabyte Z87X-OC motherboard.

Stock clocks with F4 BIOS on Z85X-OC with crappy stock heat sink cpu vcore set to 1.05v.
DRAM frequency at 2400 mhz

basetempsHWstockheatsinkstockspeeds.jpg

Valid CPU-Z under 100% load: http://valid.canardpc.com/2850637

Stock clocks with F4 BIOS on Z85X-OC water cooled cpu vcore set to 1.05v.
DRAM frequency at 2400 mhz
WCbase4770k.jpg

Valid CPU-Z under 100% load: http://valid.canardpc.com/2852063

Drats I just noticed one of my sticks of ram wasn't in all the way. Oh well. :D

From now on I'll get that right.

4770k #2 batch number L312B152 made in Malaysia.

This one is worthy of delidding.

4.6GHZ, 35 cache, 1.27v in BIOS vcore.
Ambient Temps 23C
Water cooled with custom loop.

MaXIHSon.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/2858258

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread.

Original CPU
4670K L311B421
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Corsair H90 140mm AIO watercooler

So far 4.4 @ 1.25v
Cache at 40

PC was definitely heating up the room.

Update: 7/20/2013
I got another 4670K that is slightly better than the last one. L311B296
So far 4.5 1.295v
Cache at 40

Last edited:
Here is my entry

4670K L313B427
Asus Z87-A

Chip is at 4.5ghz with 1.184 volts under load. Max temp is 81C since I am just using a CM 212 Evo right now. Cache speed is 4.1ghz for me.

This is prime stable for 8 hours.

I will redo prime and screenshot it later.

Last edited:
For me I lost my last computer during a move and been without for a while. Las tcomputer was an AMD 1100T overclocked to 4ghz.

The difference is huge to me. System was put together for me by friends and family and they surprised me with it. Started working now so once caught back up after moving expenses and crap will look to get a better cooler since that Cm 212 evo doesnt keep up very well.

I upgraded from a 2600K & P67 combo so it wasn't really a performance upgrade. I wanted a newer motherboard with video outputs so I could try Virtu MVP (for power savings). With the $80-$100 off combo deals it seemed worth it vs pay $150 for a Z77 board. I'm going to sell my old setup so that will reduce the cost. I didn't go i7 this time because I didn't feel it was worth it for me last time ($100 over a 2500K).

I also get more Sata III ports and native USB 3.0. The P67 only had 2 Sata III's and 2 usb 3.0 ports.

Subscribing to this thread. I plan on buying some 4670k's and 4770k's in the next month, to test and then keep the best ones :p.

Still haven't decided on which mobo to buy though (leaning M6H over the z87x-oc, and mpower currently).

The Asrock Z87 extreme 4 is a great choice, 4x usb3 front panel ports (two headers), purity sound and lots of expansion slots.

The Asrock Z87 extreme 4 is a great choice, 4x usb3 front panel ports (two headers), purity sound and lots of expansion slots.

While I am a big ASRock fan (especially with their Z77 boards), I have been hearing bad things about the Z87 Extreme 4's BIOS..it is claimed to be very buggy and stability is hit or miss..I haven't personally used one, but I have been flirting with the idea, and the user reviews really put me off..

SonDa5, would you edit your OP to include user's cache speed as well?..I want to see what people are settling with vs their o/c speed..

4670k bought from MicroCenter this weekend with an MSI Z87-GD65. Batch is L310B444, running with a Corsair H100i @ 4Ghz right now, default everything. Just bumped up the multiplier. So far, sits idle at 35C. Will be pushing it further this week.

Came from a 2500k @ 4.5GHz on a Gigabyte board. It died last week after over a year of use but I'm not sure if the chip died or the board.

97C, holy c.rap that is hot. Was your ambient really warm, when you ran it under ibt?

Hoping my samples don't end up running that hot :(.

97C, holy c.rap that is hot. Was your ambient really warm, when you ran it under ibt?

Hoping my samples don't end up running that hot :(.

Ambient temps around 21c.

Keep in mind stock heat sink sucks.

is that thing ok for just sitting at stock? i have one on the way and not interested in oc'ing...

running asrock extreme 6 here without issue

It is doing ok with 4.5ghz but seems like I got a nice chip that doesnt need 1.2 volts for that speed.

How are people faring when using Prime 95 to validate their overclocks? I can pass Intel Burn Test at 4.5GHz without much issue (other than temperatures!), but Prime 95 blue screens at the same settings in no time at all.

I'm probably going to chase 4.3 GHz with the lowest possible voltage as a result.

How are people faring when using Prime 95 to validate their overclocks? I can pass Intel Burn Test at 4.5GHz without much issue (other than temperatures!), but Prime 95 blue screens at the same settings in no time at all.

I'm probably going to chase 4.3 GHz with the lowest possible voltage as a result.

Prime95 seems to be the easiest way to make it crash/bsod when playing with settings. However, it loses its utility when you get into the 1.3v range due to outrageous amounts of heat. As long as it throttles without crashing, I call it good enough. I prefer doing stability testing by using the applications I would normally use. If it crashes, make adjustments in the BIOS and resume; Prime95 is really more of a blunt instrument to quickly see if a new setting will work.

It is doing ok with 4.5ghz but seems like I got a nice chip that doesnt need 1.2 volts for that speed.

my chip is running stock with stock hsf and if i push all four cores 100% with prime (simply to see worst case heat) my temps max at about 98c (looks probably normal from what i see in screens and the room my machine is in gets blasted with sunshine/ambient heat)... and that's with this old zerotherm shit i had bought back in '08 (mx-4 is arriving tomorrow). the older i get the lazier i get and won't be oc'ing - i'm just wondering/hoping that that hsf will cut temps drastically. thoughts?

I still prefer Prime95, though it can take a long time test an overclock. Intel Burn Test and SuperPi don't seem to stress the processor enough. I can get my overclocks to pass those test without issue only to have games that aren't even CPU intensive crash.The [H]ard review also suggest AIDA64 isn't good enough either since overclocks can pass that and fail while encoding a video.

my chip is running stock with stock hsf and if i push all four cores 100% with prime (simply to see worst case heat) my temps max at about 98c (looks probably normal from what i see in screens and the room my machine is in gets blasted with sunshine/ambient heat)... and that's with this old zerotherm shit i had bought back in '08 (mx-4 is arriving tomorrow). the older i get the lazier i get and won't be oc'ing - i'm just wondering/hoping that that hsf will cut temps drastically. thoughts?

Pretty much any decent aftermarket heatsink like the 212 will be miles better than the stock HSF. The 212 is much larger and supports 120mm fans, while that tiny stock intel is maybe a 70mm fan. I'm sure you can get a decent overclock with the 212 as well, but go easy on the voltage if you can.

4770K L315B379
ASUS Z87-Pro
Corsair H100i

Maxes out at 4.2ghz @1.245v(shows 1.268v in cpu-z and the asus software when at max load, LLC kicking in?), 4.3 crashes even at 1.32v at most a couple of minutes into prime95
Cache at 4.0 and no higher even raising the voltage to it past 1.3v

Frustratingly bad chip, but it atleast seems stable. Hopefully I didn't just jinx that.

I wouldn't use anything but prime95, and the latest version too. AVX instructions just destroy haswell, there's a reason that when you're using adaptive voltage settings it can increase your voltage by .1 It really seems to hit the cache too, I can't go over 4.0ghz without it instantly hard locking once prime95 starts up. It also seems to hit something about 7-15 minutes in that causes temps to skyrocket.

AIDA64 is nice, but I've had prime95 crash instantly after AIDA64 ran for 2 hours.

The stock HSF is flimsy and worthless, there's just no surface area to it. Thermal paste won't change that; a hyper 212+, or even better, an evo. is generally considered the best performance for the money and it will be miles above that stock heat sink.

It's looking like I am going to end up at 4.3GHz @ 1.185 on the core and the standard 3.9GHz for the cache on my 4770K. I am using the manual voltage setting.

My only concern is that these tests are only running AVX, not AVX2. I wonder if it would still be stable if it was running the newer instruction set. It might be more beneficial long term to run adaptive voltage and just try to push the voltage down a little further.

EDIT: Ugh, not actually long term Prime stable. Back to the bios...

Last edited:
My 4670k that I just got is only stable at 4.1Ghz @ 1.2v. Tried 4.2Ghz up to 1.28v and crashes randomly in Windows 7. I have an H100i but I didn't want to start pushing 1.3v just for an extra 100Mhz. :confused:

My 4670k that I just got is only stable at 4.1Ghz @ 1.2v. Tried 4.2Ghz up to 1.28v and crashes randomly in Windows 7. I have an H100i but I didn't want to start pushing 1.3v just for an extra 100Mhz. :confused:

What are your temps. That OC seems awfully low...

I'm running an H100i and idle is low 30's C and at 4.1 @ 1.2v full load doing stress testing only gets to about 55C. Can't understand what is up. Either I have a crappy chip or there is some setting in the BIOS that I am missing.

I guess my 4770K isn't that bad.
Corsair 80i.
Asus Sabertooth Z87
4.5GHZ at 1.236, 78 C after 20 runs with Intel burn in.
CPU Cache Ratio at 40
Haven't tried 4.6 yet, but just don't want to hit over 80-83 C, So haven't bumped up vcore over 1.2 manual (1.236 under load).
My 3770K will do 4.8 with under 80C. Can't remember what voltage, as I am just running it at 4.4 at stock vcore as a 2nd box.
Asus Pro, Corsair 80.

Finally got time to upgrade my rig over the weekend, and it appears I got a pretty decent chip running at 4.6 @ 1.2V. I did reduced cache ratio down to 40 just to be on the safe side.

I haven't really tweaked it yet, jumped straight to Kyle's recommended settings and all seems good. I only ran through a few iterations in P95 (no fails), but ran through several games without issues. Using Realtemp, P95 maxed out at 68C, and its idling around 32-35C. I am running a beast of a cooler, though its not water, it's doing a hell of a job. Due to lack of testing, I'm not sure its 100% stable, but I am extremely impressed with the temps alone.

I upgraded from a 920, and as other have said, I wasn't really expecting much of a performance upgrade, but wanted all the new bells and whistles provided by Z87. With the newegg deal going on, I couldn't pass it up. Most of my games do seem to run much smoother than before and the Win 8 boot-up is phenomenal.

Asrock Z87 Extreme6 (v1.9 Bios)
Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme

I have two 4770K's on the way to the house, but I'm not sure I really need hyperthreading, and those chips may not clock as well. I'm contemplating keeping this chip. Not to mention the SB-E Extreme is a PAIN IN THE ASS to install with my ram.

My Prime95 instability seemed to be cache related, like others have pointed out. When running it at the stock 3.9GHz, I would invariably crash. Once I set it to 4.1GHz on the cache, it's been smooth sailing (+added some ring voltage).

I didn't have any problem with slower cache speeds under Intel Burn Test.

I'm running an H100i and idle is low 30's C and at 4.1 @ 1.2v full load doing stress testing only gets to about 55C. Can't understand what is up. Either I have a crappy chip or there is some setting in the BIOS that I am missing.

55c for 4.1 isn't that bad actually. I would try to push it more.

I run my 4770k at 4.4Ghz with 1.180v Prime stable, up to 84°C during the run with a H80i, CLU as paste and 27°C ambient. Normal load temps when encoding are around 65-68°C which seems fine.

I left the cache ratio on AUTO and it stays at 3.9Ghz. I was running a lot of different benchmarks with both core + cache at x44 and core x44 + cache x39. There is absolutely no difference. I found a chart somewhere on OCN showing at what point the cache starts to bottleneck the core, x39/x44 is still good.

The chip actually boots into Windows 8 at 4.6Ghz with 1.2v so I guess it must be a good one following what the ASUS guy said. Its a Malay chip but I don't know the batch number out of my head, can post it later. Was bought in Germany 2 weeks ago.

Update:

I dropped the ring multiplier to 40x, raised the voltage to 1.25v, set CPU multiplier at 43x and changed the RAM timings to auto DDR3-1600. Now I can boot and run stable at 4.3Ghz. For my RAM, I have (2) sticks of GSkill and (2) sticks of Corsair for a total of 16GB.

Both sets of RAM are rated at 9-9-9-24 but the auto setting sets them to 11-11-11-29. I'm thinking that may have something to do with the overclock being so sensitive.

Temps under H100i are about 62C under full load doing the Intel Extreme Utility stress test.

The chip actually boots into Windows 8 at 4.6Ghz with 1.2v so I guess it must be a good one following what the ASUS guy said.

I tried that with my memory at default mother board speeds of 1600mhz and my Gigabyte Z87X-OC MB booted up but would not boot into Windows 7. I am using stock heat sink.

What is your memory speed at and what heat sink did you use to BIN it?

I run my 4770k at 4.4Ghz with 1.180v Prime stable, up to 84°C during the run with a H80i, CLU as paste and 27°C ambient. Normal load temps when encoding are around 65-68°C which seems fine.

I left the cache ratio on AUTO and it stays at 3.9Ghz. I was running a lot of different benchmarks with both core + cache at x44 and core x44 + cache x39. There is absolutely no difference. I found a chart somewhere on OCN showing at what point the cache starts to bottleneck the core, x39/x44 is still good.

The chip actually boots into Windows 8 at 4.6Ghz with 1.2v so I guess it must be a good one following what the ASUS guy said. Its a Malay chip but I don't know the batch number out of my head, can post it later. Was bought in Germany 2 weeks ago.

Are you sure about that? I thought anything below 300ghz, the cache starts to affect performance overall.

Back