42" OLED MASTER THREAD

If you guys were waiting for the C3 and wanted to disable ASBL for desktop use. You better run out and buy a C2 now because LG has now seemingly made it impossible to disable ASBL from the service menu on the C3. First they take out 120Hz BFI and now this, the C series just keeps getting worst each year lmfao.

Seems like a shitty thing to do, I disabled mine and all it good. I think I need to buy a larger C2 for my other uses just in case.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Seems like a shitty thing to do, I disabled mine and all it good. I think I need to buy a larger C2 for my other uses just in case.

Yeah idk man LG just keeps taking steps back ever since they peaked with the C1. Wonder feature they will delete next on the C4.

Also the Calman hardware calibration doesn't work on C2s because of the broken built in test patterns.

like this

If you guys were waiting for the C3 and wanted to disable ASBL for desktop use. You better run out and buy a C2 now because LG has now seemingly made it impossible to disable ASBL from the service menu on the C3. First they take out 120Hz BFI and now this, the C series just keeps getting worst each year lmfao.

I am glad I bought a C2.

I can only hope that maybe... just maybe LG (and others) have advanced things enough that this ASBL and the other comparable features are far more refined and perhaps there is no longer a "need" to access them in the service menu.

Otherwise, I can guarantee you if there is a way to do it people like our friend there and others will get to the bottom of it.

He shows in one of his older videos and shows a snippet of it in this video what happens when you leave all that stuff turned on and let me tell you: Those are deal killers. I would absolutely have returned my C2 before living with the likes of that. Hitting the service menu is a must for most scenarios I would think as is.

42 and 48 C2s and C3s are/will be exactly the same except for screen size.

For an OLED monitor use case, I think LG wants you to buy their monitors. They addressed the ABL issue in those products, and they have other advantages as well like 240Hz in the gaming monitors, and RGB pixels in the professional monitors.

For an OLED monitor use case, I think LG wants you to buy their monitors. They addressed the ABL issue in those products, and they have other advantages as well like 240Hz in the gaming monitors, and RGB pixels in the professional monitors.
When they release a 32" 4K "Monitor" maybe, but until then I am sticking with the 42C2 "TV"

Seems LG has fast tracked a fix for ASBL triggering in video content but whether this is an effective fix for desktop use is still unknown.

like this
Last week there was an update. I wonder if that was the one? I don't remember the update version.

Seems LG has fast tracked a fix for ASBL triggering in video content but whether this is an effective fix for desktop use is still unknown.

The fact that it kicked in during actual video content shows just how broken this "feature" was. We could all ask Vincent to test it with a PC and see if it kicks in during normal desktop usage and I am certain it will.

As long as my C2 doesn’t dim while gaming (and it has not - marathon 12 hour gaming last weekend) im good.. so far mine picks right up when I move the mouse. I do see it dim a lot though.

The fact that it kicked in during actual video content shows just how broken this "feature" was. We could all ask Vincent to test it with a PC and see if it kicks in during normal desktop usage and I am certain it will.
Isn't he a [H] member? I could have sworn he posted once, or at least someone with his name as their username.

Exactly. The C series just keeps getting worst and worst every year. Without the ability to disable ASBL that completely rules out any future LG OLED TV for me as a PC display even if they come out with a 32" 144Hz+ model.

That sucks. I was looking to upgrade to C4 (2024) once my Bestbuy burn in plan is almost finished (with credit), but now I'll probably just go with QDOLED Gen 2 or whatever the best 32" 4K miniLED is in 2024.

Last edited:
That sucks. I was looking to upgrade to C4 (2024) once my Bestbuy burn in plan is almost finished, but now I'll probably just go with QDOLED Gen 2 or whatever the best 32" 4K miniLED is in 2024.
I think its too early to say how good or bad these models will be for 2024 and onward. Have to wait and see.

Can I disable ASBL on my C2 in the service menu or with that color control app?

I love my 42" C2.. I am glad I didn't get the 48.. I was about to and then thought about how much I would need to change up my desk for that.. and just using it in windows. For sitting on the couch behind my desk chair it would have been cool for playing console games or watching movies but I rarely do that. The 42 looks fine from there too though. heh.

I love my 42" C2.. I am glad I didn't get the 48.. I was about to and then thought about how much I would need to change up my desk for that.. and just using it in windows. For sitting on the couch behind my desk chair it would have been cool for playing console games or watching movies but I rarely do that. The 42 looks fine from there too though. heh.

Yes I used that app to turn it off in Windows, didn't need to buy a remote.

Yes I used that app to turn it off in Windows, didn't need to buy a remote.
Copy that, thanks.. I haven't done it yet but am planning to. It hasn't bothered me much yet but I'd like it disabled just the same.

Flip side here. Had a 43 (AORUS FV43U) but went for the 48" C2 and love it! For me not really that much bigger.

anyone uses this Panasonic 48" (also comes in 42") for your PC, if so, does it c/w 4:4:4 on text?

I have the 48inch C2. Works perfect. I love big displays and this doesn't disappoint!

8719 hours on my 65" LG CX as a gaming/movie PC monitor. I'm actually quite pleased, as I was worried about burn in when I picked it up in 2020. None of the newer models have come close to wowing me - but maybe one day I'll pick up a 77" updated model on sale...

Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k on OLED. wow.. Never really played the game beyond the noob area... Glad I waited lol!
I guest I'm the lone person who did not care for how Cyberpunk looks on an OLED. Too dim for my liking. I much preferred it's look on a mini led display.

BUT…

5B020DB3-C757-4956-A74A-D78215AD3D61.jpeg

Same.. it's almost too much and I do like to lower it a little in a dark room.
I run mine dimmed during the day. :) It seems so bright even going up to 50-60, especially on whites. I don’t see how some people think that this display is too dim. Maybe I just have a photosensitivity or something. I agree that it does get dim if you have ABL/ASBL but I’ve got all that crap turned off. My CX should last a really long time at its current brightness level with plenty of headroom to spare so I should be good until something significantly better comes out.

I’ll have to check the brightness level of our 42C2 in the bedroom…I can’t remember what I ended up using there but I know it’s not anywhere near maxxed. Edit: 35.

Last edited:
Did you guys read about LG’s upcoming nukes? 42” 4k 240Hz and a 32” 4k that goes up to 480Hz WTF!

31.5″ with 4K and 240Hz refresh rate (and 480Hz support!)

This is likely to be the most popular and eagerly awaited OLED panel option we think. A ~32″ sized panel with a 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution and an impressive 240Hz refresh rate, including also an innovative approach to supporting 480Hz as well! Since the release of the 27″ 1440p 240Hz panels this year, we’ve had loads of feedback from people saying they want a 32″ 4K 144Hz model instead, so this planned panel will surpass those expectations with an even high refresh rate at 240Hz.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/monitor-oled-panel-roadmap-updates-march-2023

Did you guys read about LG’s upcoming nukes? 42” 4k 240Hz and a 32” 4k that goes up to 480Hz WTF!

Well, so much for LG resting on their laurels. Maybe they've been busy working on significantly better tech while they rode out the CX/C1/C2/etc. wave. I'd buy that 42" 4K 240Hz in a heartbeat. I'd rather go 120 > 240 than do the whole 120 > 144 > 165 > etc. dance anyway. I hope they just straight up double what the current sets are capable of. We're gonna need an HDMI spec revision/update on both TV and GPU to fully support that though, yeah?

Well, so much for LG resting on their laurels. Maybe they've been busy working on significantly better tech while they rode out the CX/C1/C2/etc. wave. I'd buy that 42" 4K 240Hz in a heartbeat. I'd rather go 120 > 240 than do the whole 120 > 144 > 165 > etc. dance anyway. I hope they just straight up double what the current sets are capable of. We're gonna need an HDMI spec revision/update on both TV and GPU to fully support that though, yeah?

QD OLED is also pushing 4K to to 240Hz and given how much newer that tech is compared to WOLED, I would say LG was indeed resting on their laurels and only finally decided to do something once they realized there is actual competition in the OLED space now. Those 4K 240Hz WOLEDs are not due until the end of 2024 so do you honestly think they have been secretly working on it the whole time? I would say they just barely started hence why we will have to wait almost 2 more years for it.

QD OLED is also pushing 4K to to 240Hz and given how much newer that tech is compared to WOLED, I would say LG was indeed resting on their laurels and only finally decided to do something once they realized there is actual competition in the OLED space now. Those 4K 240Hz WOLEDs are not due until the end of 2024 so do you honestly think they have been secretly working on it the whole time? I would say they just barely started hence why we will have to wait almost 2 more years for it.
Easy, boss. Be grateful for progress. Big companies tend to move slower than we'd like. No, I don't think they've been "secretly" working on it the whole time, geez. It was more a comment directed to the folks who were dissatisfied with the lack of major updates on the last few gens and were proclaiming that LG was never going to release anything better. Clearly they are. If it was motivated by competition, meh? That's what competition's for.

Easy, boss. Be grateful for progress. Big companies tend to move slower than we'd like. No, I don't think they've been "secretly" working on it the whole time, geez. It was more a comment directed to the folks who were dissatisfied with the lack of major updates on the last few gens and were proclaiming that LG was never going to release anything better. Clearly they are. If it was motivated by competition, meh? That's what competition's for.

That's kinda what I was getting at, they were just motivated by competition but otherwise would probably just by happy to continue releasing the same stuff over and over. The C3 pretty much has almost no improvement since the CX. And without QD OLED who knows how long the C series would go like this. I like LG OLEDs as much as the next guy, have owned them since the 2016 B6, but I do wish they would progress just a tad bit faster.

My take is that they could have been working on it all this time.

Their 42/48" OLED panels maxed out at 138 Hz. Weird number, leading me to believe it's an issue with the panel itself rather than just its controller. So for 240 Hz, they would need to develop panels and controllers capable of handling that.

Since the C9, what we have seen on the TV lineup:
  • 42 and 48" sizes.
  • Moving from the custom (expensive) 48 Gbps controllers on the C9 to cheaper 40 Gbps controllers, then I think for C2 and up they are now back to full 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 support?
  • Some brightness improvements on the G-series lineup.
I don't disagree that Samsung coming out with a competitive tech has probably been a big plus for us end users. For years Samsung's OLEDs seemed like a joke - shown behind closed doors, reports of low brightness etc. Then they came out and managed to surpass LG in some areas. Now we finally have real competition instead of "who can use LG's own panels the best."

My take is that they could have been working on it all this time.

Their 42/48" OLED panels maxed out at 138 Hz. Weird number, leading me to believe it's an issue with the panel itself rather than just its controller. So for 240 Hz, they would need to develop panels and controllers capable of handling that.

Since the C9, what we have seen on the TV lineup:
  • 42 and 48" sizes.
  • Moving from the custom (expensive) 48 Gbps controllers on the C9 to cheaper 40 Gbps controllers, then I think for C2 and up they are now back to full 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 support?
  • Some brightness improvements on the G-series lineup.
I don't disagree that Samsung coming out with a competitive tech has probably been a big plus for us end users. For years Samsung's OLEDs seemed like a joke - shown behind closed doors, reports of low brightness etc. Then they came out and managed to surpass LG in some areas. Now we finally have real competition instead of "who can use LG's own panels the best."

Higher refresh rates at 4k has been held back by the bandwidth of the HDMI ports on GPUs. Something LG doesn't really have control over. The only thing they really could have done is use DSC, but there has been what? One monitor just recently that did 4k 240hz?
They've probably been planning on higher refresh rates for a while, but mostly just waiting for the bandwidth to implement it. Maybe if they were pressured earlier they could have done 1080p@480hz or actually use DSC.

But LG has been innovating even before QD-OLED came to market, probably more than most other brands. They're still one of the only TVs to have all ports be HDMI 2.1 (most only have 1 or 2 and limit bandwidth to the rest). They worked with NVIDIA to get gsync support to their OLED TVs. They've consistently had the lowest input lag on their TVs. All sorts of stuff.

QD-OLED is pushing them to innovate even harder and faster though. Nothing causes more innovation than competition and the threat of being put out of business.

Can't get here fast enough. The sooner it hits the market, the sooner it will trickle down into everything else. Even if the first gen isn't affordable, a few years in and it will be. That's basically the holy grail I've personally been waiting for. The only way to make it better would be to have DCI resolution and add in SDI, but those are both professional features and not gaming ones. As long as it can at least do HDR 1000, that could be the one for me.

Back