42" OLED MASTER THREAD

I understand that the aggressively timed screensaver on the C2 and auto shutdown are mitigation efforts against burn in but as a PC user I’d like to extend the time before they kick in. Is there any way to do this?

I understand that the aggressively timed screensaver on the C2 and auto shutdown are mitigation efforts against burn in but as a PC user I’d like to extend the time before they kick in. Is there any way to do this?

I am curious about this as well. When screen retention does happen, is it 100% permanent? On my plasma displays, I just run the "erase pattern" feature that wipes the burn-in after 5-10 minutes. Is it same for OLED?

Turned off TPC on my 42" OLED today. Left GSR on.

Got tired of the desktop gradually dimming away if I was reading a forum or in discord. We'll see if this works better.

So I don't sit in a bright room with windows behind me , but I keep hesitating on pulling the trigger on the 42" LG Oled on sale due to concerns about brightness.

How do you guys handle playing SDR games on it , is it as bad as some videos say about being really dim in non HDR games ? (Going to use it 100% as PC gaming, maybe some switch/ps5 games too , zero productivity stuff , that's on my other rig )

Dim in SDR games? Unless you're talking about using the display at 100% brightness in a bright room (please don't buy an OLED for that use case), it has more than enough brightness for anyone in SDR.

There will be. I would fully expect a 32" 4K 240hz model.
Be prepared to be disappointed. Neither Samsung or LG make large OLED’s panel glass with the PPI needed for 4K 32’. If those OLEd panel glass exist, you will see it in 8K 65 inch TV’s first. However, I doubt they would invest in it given the flop of the 8K TV market.

Got tired of the desktop gradually dimming away if I was reading a forum or in discord. We'll see if this works better.
I did the exact same thing and it is honestly a game changer. The dimming didn't seem to bother me at first but then once I started noticing it I was constantly switching a tab to a different color to bring it back. I figure if I was forcing it to come back up I might as well just turn that feature off. $8 for that service remote and 2 seconds to change was well worth it.

Be prepared to be disappointed. Neither Samsung or LG make large OLED’s panel glass with the PPI needed for 4K 32’. If those OLEd panel glass exist, you will see it in 8K 65 inch TV’s first. However, I doubt they would invest in it given the flop of the 8K TV market.

What? Doesn't Samsung makes that 1440p 240Hz OLED laptop display that has like 200 PPI which is way more than 4K at 32 inches.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-starts-mass-production-on-240hz-oled-displays-for-laptops

Last edited:

I've done so a month ago because I've ran into more and more HDR content that had extended dark scenes that would trigger unnecessary dimming as Vincent explains. Bit of a ridiculous issue honestly! LG needs to fine tune their algorithms, doesn't make sense to dim the display further down when it's already super extremely dark and definitely not static content.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I've done so a month ago because I've ran into more and more HDR content that had extended dark scenes that would trigger unnecessary dimming as Vincent explains. Bit of a ridiculous issue honestly! LG needs to fine tune their algorithms, doesn't make sense to dim the display further down when it's already super extremely dark and definitely not static content.

I noticed that happening in one of the later scenes in the last episode of Del toro's "Cabinet of Curiosities". I'm pretty sure the oceanside scene in "house of dragons" also suffered that - though they mastered it too dark to begin with arguably (vincent did a vid on that one).

There will be. I would fully expect a 32" 4K 240hz model.
There are quite a few people that have been waiting for affordable 4k 120+ fps 32" out of "just" LCD. Instead we only got entrants from Asus/Acer/Alienware that were 27" and still were over-costed with FRC 8+2 displays and an even higher price tag for local dimming. Very few people even here at the [H] bought these monitors.

I am definitely not holding my breath. If the 27" 2.5k model is $1000, then it's almost a certainty that a 4k 32" model would be $2000+, putting it virtually into no-mans-land for the time being. Which is also why no producer has made the above monitor in even in "just" LCD form. I am certain when a 32" 4k model comes, it won't be soon, or it will be alot. I think it's more likely we'll still have to wait another few years before such a premium model will drop.
Don't get me wrong, I'm waiting for 32" 4k OLED along with everyone else. I just don't think it's going to come soon due to business reasons.

It would be nice if there were some 32" models eventually for people who need shorter view distances.

42" 4k screen at 24" view distance is 52 PPD.

27" screen 2688 x 1512 rez at 24" view distance = 52 PPD

The 24" view crowd are in a way using a 42" 4k like a 27" 1500p screen's pixels and exacerbating off axis viewing angle issues instead of getting 4k fine pixel PQ. 😝

8ss1o9P.png

. . . . . . .

On the other hand, a

. . 32" 4k at 24" view would be ~ 64 PPD (and 60 deg) which can be compensated for with aggressive AA and text sub-sampling (though the 2d desktop's graphics and imagery lacks AA outside of text sub sampling)

. . 32" 4k at 27" view would be ~ 70 PPD and 55 deg viewing angle.

So really a much better fit for the near desk view crowd. Right now it's a square peg in a round hole thing going on with larger screens for a lot of people from what I've read in threads and seen in images.

Linus already has image retention on his PG42UQ that the automatic pixel refresh won't get rid of. I dunno why that guy keeps using OLEDs with his extreme use case and refuses to set a black screen saver.

I definitely disagree:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1664784443

The 27“ is already confirmed, now it’s just a matter of time before they reveal the 32“.

I noticed that happening in one of the later scenes in the last episode of Del toro's "Cabinet of Curiosities". I'm pretty sure the oceanside scene in "house of dragons" also suffered that - though they mastered it too dark to begin with arguably (vincent did a vid on that one).
House of Dragon was the worst offender in recent memory because it was pretty long scenes so you'd have to bring up the OSD several times to fix it. I've seen it happen in a lot of other places though now that I know what to look for and how it works :D

Even Andor briefly triggered it for me in one episode, and that was the day I installed ColorControl and fixed it because I love that show so much and there's no way I'll tolerate such distraction while watching it.

Linus already has image retention on his PG42UQ that the automatic pixel refresh won't get rid of. I dunno why that guy keeps using OLEDs with his extreme use case and refuses to set a black screen saver.
Honestly probably because he can afford to and can make a "I made a huge mistake" video about it for more money. Meanwhile my LG CX 48" is still going trouble free after two years of desktop use.

Honestly probably because he can afford to and can make a "I made a huge mistake" video about it for more money. Meanwhile my LG CX 48" is still going trouble free after two years of desktop use.
Exactly. Views. It’s all about the $, baby.

I'm at 10 000 hours with my CX, still looks as new. It's the only display connected to my only PC (my 2nd PC is a laptop that gets used only when I'm not home), using it for everything (don't even have a TV, it's literally the only screen in use at home) except work - since I haven't been working from home after purchasing the CX.

For those pondering current OLED panel size vs resolution vs refresh, theres the Asus 14" Vivobook OLED at 2880x1800 (16:10) 90Hz, 600Nits.
Effective 28" @ 5760x3600.
The pixels are fuffing tiny!

Theres also the 120Hz 15" version at 2880x1620.
Effective 30" @ 5760x3240.
Larger screen but slightly lower res. Might be necessary to get the higher refresh stable.

Last edited:

It's funny how Vincent sorta slams HOD for using the "creative intent" reason for mastering that scene to less than 1 nit and how we can mess with TV settings to actually be able to see anything which would deviate from such creative intent, and then makes a video about seeing the "creative intent" is important hence why you need to buy a Panasonic TV. Wut.

Last edited:
View attachment 518434

I’ll give it a bit of time to break in, but yeah, this is disappointing otherwise.

It's MAYBE a tiny bit better six weeks later but still not cleared up. (blue tint on left and right side). Should I expect this to clear up further? I've probably put 100 hours on this 42" c2 OLED monitor now.
1669267596461.jpeg

The tint dont clear up as far as I know. Unless it's really the viewing angles. Which dont clear up either, but can be adjusted.

It's MAYBE a tiny bit better six weeks later but still not cleared up. (blue tint on left and right side). Should I expect this to clear up further? I've probably put 100 hours on this 42" c2 OLED monitor now.
View attachment 529235

The tint dont clear up as far as I know. Unless it's really the viewing angles. Which dont clear up either, but can be adjusted.

When sitting at near distances on a larger flat screen, the closer you sit the greater and greater the extents or sides of the screen will be viewed off axis or off-angle. It's the same as if you were standing outside of the screen alongside of it, the angles become the same but from the inside/center. Just mirror your viewing angle to the sides as if a beam richocheted off the screen perfectly to the outside of the screen. That's how off angle you are to the sides when sitting close in the middle.

Sitting at the focal point of the curve on a curved screen, the entire screen surface is instead equidistant from your eyes. This has the benefit of keeping the whole screen surface pointing at you directly. Flat OLED and VA screens will show a larger and larger screen uniformity "gradient" the more off angle areas of the screen are.

759337_R9-1200x600ResponsivePreset.jpg

cVDTz3W.png

Obviously the closer you sit, the lower the PPD too.

tJWvzHy.png

. . . . . .

3kU3adt.png

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Back