42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Unless you plan to keep your OLED for 10 years or something, just do it. I disabled ASBL on my CX within the first week and have been using it for over 2 years now without issue. But I also don't plan to keep it for more than a few years at most.
Yep. I put off ordering the service remote because of the "hassle" and I thought it was kind of a lame thing to have to do, but man. So worth it. No regrets, and I wished I'd done it sooner. I'd offer to let anyone here borrow my service remote, but it would cost as much to ship as you can buy one for on eBay. Plus, I might end up needing it on another LG set if they keep cranking these stunnas out lol.

Wonder if anyone else is delaying or not planning to disable the auto brightness limiter on the C2 42 or other C2s. I probably have ASBL as opposed to ABL which I learned about from earlier in the thread and other sources. (Auto Static Brightness Limiter or ASBL vs Auto Brightness Limiter or ABL). (Edit): I figure I must have one or the other or both.

And this is nothing new and sorry for dragging it up again but on my C2 42 the brightness dims after a few minutes or so when I'm idle on the desktop, or in some games and other apps. Which is ASBL I think and it's annoying of course but not an app or game breaker. I just click or move something and the brightness goes back up.

But to me it seems like a hassle to order a physical service remote from some website in order to access the service menu to disable it. I just don't feel like bothering with it and maybe others are in the same boat. And not aware of another method, maybe I didn't see it in pages from months ago. And apparently ABL, which is mainly to do with HDR I think, can't be disabled wherever it occurs. which I guess is in some games and apps with HDR fully enabled or however it is properly described.

I thought about ordering the remote and I still might but so far the ASBL or whatever really hasn't bothered me to a point where I think I need it. Do I notice it on desktop, yes but like you said just moving stuff a bit corrects the issue.

I thought about ordering the remote and I still might but so far the ASBL or whatever really hasn't bothered me to a point where I think I need it. Do I notice it on desktop, yes but like you said just moving stuff a bit corrects the issue.
I kept telling myself the same thing. You're right, it's not nearly as much of an annoyance as some people make it out to be. But it's weird...when suddenly you don't EVER have to move the mouse again to maintain consistent brightness, it's very freeing lol. One little thing that you never have to do again feels like a big deal, especially for $8 and change. Takes it from "98% PC monitor" to 99%, with the last 1% being lack of DP (IMO).

I kept telling myself the same thing. You're right, it's not nearly as much of an annoyance as some people make it out to be. But it's weird...when suddenly you don't EVER have to move the mouse again to maintain consistent brightness, it's very freeing lol. One little thing that you never have to do again feels like a big deal, especially for $8 and change. Takes it from "98% PC monitor" to 99%, with the last 1% being lack of DP (IMO).
What remote did you order?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223964743187

Ha, I said $8 and change. It's not even $8. :p

Yeah there's seriously no point in trying to penny pinch a few $ when you already spent this much for a C2. Just shell out the money for the remote and disable that ASBL. It's not even that much of a hassle, it's just a few button presses and you're done in a minute or two.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Takes it from "98% PC monitor" to 99%, with the last 1% being lack of DP (IMO).
Yeah you'd have to be willing to live with a larger size of 48" to get the DP from LG. Which is fine for some but not really for me unless the IQ is way better than Oled TVs for gaming. Here's a Flatpanels review of the LG Oled 48" monitor with DP.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1656483850

I'm trying to research if its IQ is or isn't as good as my C2 42. Cost isn't really a factor so if someone shows that the LG monitor blows away the C2 in graphics in some games then I'll have to retire my C2 42 for it. And deal with the bigger size.

Yeah you'd have to be willing to live with a larger size of 48" to get the DP from LG. Which is fine for some but not really for me unless the IQ is way better than Oled TVs for gaming. Here's a Flatpanels review of the LG Oled 48" monitor with DP.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1656483850

I'm trying to research if its IQ is or isn't as good as my C2 42. Cost isn't really a factor so if someone shows that the LG monitor blows away the C2 in graphics in some games then I'll have to retire my C2 42 for it. And deal with the bigger size.
Heck, I'm still on my 48CX. I love it. I bought a 42C2 to replace our bedroom TV, and could totally see going back to that size as a monitor if something came out that blows away the CX. My setup just happens to make the 48" doable, but yeah it's not for everyone and I imagine most would prefer the 42" size. I'm just not ready to let go of the increased gaming immersion yet. :) Yes, I could get a 42" and bring it closer to achieve a similar effect but with used CXs going for way less than they cost new it's just not really worth it to me to get rid of it until something happens to it (or something significantly better comes out).

Yeah there's seriously no point in trying to penny pinch a few $ when you already spent this much for a C2. Just shell out the money for the remote and disable that ASBL. It's not even that much of a hassle, it's just a few button presses and you're done in a minute or two.

Oh a remote can do it? I turned it off with ColorControl (pc program that connects to service menu).

So I turned off TPC and GSR in that. Then turned off energy saver mode and logo dimming in regular settings. Brightness at 100% contrast at 85%. I use it for full time work too. Burn in speed run!

I have BestBuy warranty though so I don't really care that much either way.

Oh a remote can do it? I turned it off with ColorControl (pc program that connects to service menu).
Was looking for a software method, thanks. I'll try it today on my C2 42 and keep my fingers crossed. Didn't search enough in past pages to find something like this. Ah I don't have the C2 hooked up to the net so don't know if that's a problem or if I have to use a usb stick for a transfer. I use the usb stick for firmware updates when necessary.

Was looking for a software method, thanks. I'll try it today on my C2 42 and keep my fingers crossed. Didn't search enough in past pages to find something like this. Ah I don't have the C2 hooked up to the net so don't know if that's a problem or if I have to use a usb stick for a transfer. I use the usb stick for firmware updates when necessary.
Just get the remote. Simple to use and done for under $8.

Its a PC program that talks to the TV via USB. A USB stick isnt a PC.

. . . .
Yeah you'd have to be willing to live with a larger size of 48" to get the DP from LG. Which is fine for some but not really for me unless the IQ is way better than Oled TVs for gaming.

A 48" screen compared to a 42" screen is only ~4.5" view distance difference at 60PPD and about 6" at 80PPD. Brings the screen to eyeballs required for 60PPD down to ~29" but it's still not making a 42" screen suitable for traditional near desktop setups with the screen tethered to the desk, sitting your head and eyes up at a desk with peripherals. It's adequate PPD at ~29" view but the viewing angle is kind of poor at 64 deg. 60 PPD is where text sub sampling an aggressive AA start to compensate enough vs Text fringing and graphics aliasing. However there is not desktop AA for graphics and imagery on the desktop so the closer you sit the much poorer that will look especially. The closer you sit the more off axis the edges of the screen will be which exacerbates color shifting as well. So a 42" is poor at below 60 PPD ~29" view distance, passable at 60PPD but with a fairly poor viewing angle, and better at 70 to 80 PPD which are much farther than a desk mounted screen outside of the largest of desks like an inspirion 48" corner desk (much longer at the diagonal seated position which allows for you sitting peripherals on desk + the space you'd need for the screen at the opposite end).
. .

42" 4k flat: 68deg viewing angle = 29" view distance = 60 PPD

42" 4k flat: 55deg viewing angle = 35" view distance = 70 PPD

42" 4k flat: 48 deg viewing angle = ~ 41" view distance = 80 PPD <----- view distance makes an equilateral triangle pyramid/cone viewing angle so you can see the bulk of the screen surface better

. .

48" 4k flat: 64 deg viewing angle = 33.5" view distance = 60 PPD

48" 4k flat: 55 deg viewing angle = \~ 40" view distance = 70 PPD

48" 4k flat: 48 deg viewing angle = 47" view distance = 80 PPD <----- view distance makes an equilateral triangle pyramid/cone viewing angle so you can see the bulk of the screen surface better

. . . .

Monitor versions sometimes have AG coatings which pollute the black depth and how saturated the screen looks (~ haze ice vs wet ice) so I'd definitely watch out for that. I'd avoid any ag coating on an oled personally. I'd also look to see if it has lower % peak brightness levels and durations, more aggressive ABL etc that might protect it more as a desktop screen.

elvn: Improper lighting conditions and room layouts that allow direct light sources to hit a screen surface are going to pollute the screen regardless.

From TFTcentral review of the PG42UQ:

The PG42UQ features a more traditional monitor-like matte anti-glare coating, as opposed to a glossy panel coating like you’d find on TV’s including the LG C2. This does a very good job of reducing reflections and handling external light sources like windows and lamps and we noticed much better reflection handling (no surprise) than the LG C2. However this does mean that in some conditions the blacks do not look as deep or inky visually to the user. With this being an OLED panel, famous for its true blacks and amazing contrast ratio this could be considered a problem – are you “wasting” that by having an AG coating that reduces your perceived contrast?
In certain conditions blacks look a little more dark grey as the anti-reflective coating reflects some of the surrounding light back at you and it “dulls” the contrast a bit. The anti-glare coating means the image is not as clear and clean as a fully glossy coating. You don’t get this same effect if the coating is fully glossy as there’s no AG layer, but what you do get instead is more reflections. Don’t forget this same thing applies to all AG coated desktop monitors, you have the same impact on perceived black depth and contrast on IPS, TN Film and VA panels depending on your lighting conditions if there’s an AG coating used. You’d still get better relative blacks and contrast on the OLED (not to mention other benefits) compared with LCD technologies. They are all impacted in the same way by their coatings.

Last edited:
Wonder if anyone else is delaying or not planning to disable the auto brightness limiter on the C2 42 or other C2s. I probably have ASBL as opposed to ABL which I learned about from earlier in the thread and other sources. (Auto Static Brightness Limiter or ASBL vs Auto Brightness Limiter or ABL). (Edit): I figure I must have one or the other or both.

And this is nothing new and sorry for dragging it up again but on my C2 42 the brightness dims after a few minutes or so when I'm idle on the desktop, or in some games and other apps. Which is ASBL I think and it's annoying of course but not an app or game breaker. I just click or move something and the brightness goes back up.

But to me it seems like a hassle to order a physical service remote from some website in order to access the service menu to disable it. I just don't feel like bothering with it and maybe others are in the same boat. And not aware of another method, maybe I didn't see it in pages from months ago. And apparently ABL, which is mainly to do with HDR I think, can't be disabled wherever it occurs. which I guess is in some games and apps with HDR fully enabled or however it is properly described.
Just started fiddling around with the service remote and I've already clicked a button which I didn't know what it did; the INSTOP button apparently does a factory reset which is in itself relatively harmless but apparently resets the hours on time and could void a warranty.

But otherwise it came from Amazon; it was pretty cheap and easy to do.
As far as whether I will actually fiddle with it more, I think I'll wait to see if I notice anything before I change anything.
Although, I did notice under the System options things to do with dimming, and Dynamic Contrast Ratio. Normally I'd fiddle with it but I don't want to disturb it too much, or at least, not know whether it is something that is already manipulated through the regular menu. I'm not sure which picture profiles those settings might be related to. Though maybe MistaSparkul can enlighten me.

Just started fiddling around with the service remote and I've already clicked a button which I didn't know what it did; the INSTOP button apparently does a factory reset which is in itself relatively harmless but apparently resets the hours on time and could void a warranty.

But otherwise it came from Amazon; it was pretty cheap and easy to do.
As far as whether I will actually fiddle with it more, I think I'll wait to see if I notice anything before I change anything.
Although, I did notice under the System options things to do with dimming, and Dynamic Contrast Ratio. Normally I'd fiddle with it but I don't want to disturb it too much, or at least, not know whether it is something that is already manipulated through the regular menu. I'm not sure which picture profiles those settings might be related to. Though maybe MistaSparkul can enlighten me.

I'm not sure how different the C2 service menu is but here's the instructions pulled from the CX thread on how to disable ASBL on that:

How do you disable ASBL with the MKJ39170828 remote?

Follow these instructions very carefully - one wrong move and you could brick your TV:
  • Hit the "In Start" button on the remote (top left).
  • When prompted for the code, enter 0413
  • Arrow down on remote to "OLED"
  • Hit right arrow on remote
  • "TPC Enable" is ASBL. Turn it off. Use right arrow button to turn off.
  • Hit Exit button on remote.
  • And that's it - for me, there's no more automatic dimming.

My review so far after previously had a JU6500 40" Samsung TV since 2015:
Color/Contrast obviously leaps and bounds better.
120FPS very fun. Haven't gamed on it yet, mostly video edited. Excited to try some color grading in my future. Might rent a colorimeter.
The OLED makes the nightlight/flux settings actually tolerable to look at instead of hurting my eyes. It actually just seems pleasant to look at at night.
Menu/Remote not too bad. Actually fun to use the voice settings.
First OLED so not super versed in burn-in mitigation, but I have a black desktop and no icons, and running OLED Brightness at 38 because according to TFT that's what 120nits is and that's closer to the rec709 standard of 100nits I think. Pointed my infrared thermometer at it out of curiosity; I know heat/power are factors as well. 80 degrees seems quite cool for any display surface.

My one beef is I can notice the textual difference. I don't think the ClearType made it better but maybe I need to calibrate it again. I think I prefer it without. But the edges of small familiar icons are slightly different, too. But I can also just get used to it'; everything's legible, I was just used to the previous look.

Hope to put it more thru its paces soon.

. . . .

A 48" screen compared to a 42" screen is only ~4.5" view distance difference at 60PPD and about 6" at 80PPD. Brings the screen to eyeballs required for 60PPD down to ~29" but it's still not making a 42" screen suitable for traditional near desktop setups with the screen tethered to the desk, sitting your head and eyes up at a desk with peripherals. It's adequate PPD at ~29" view but the viewing angle is kind of poor at 64 deg. 60 PPD is where text sub sampling an aggressive AA start to compensate enough vs Text fringing and graphics aliasing. However there is not desktop AA for graphics and imagery on the desktop so the closer you sit the much poorer that will look especially. The closer you sit the more off axis the edges of the screen will be which exacerbates color shifting as well. So a 42" is poor at below 60 PPD ~29" view distance, passable at 60PPD but with a fairly poor viewing angle, and better at 70 to 80 PPD which are much farther than a desk mounted screen outside of the largest of desks like an inspirion 48" corner desk (much longer at the diagonal seated position which allows for you sitting peripherals on desk + the space you'd need for the screen at the opposite end).
I should be able to adjust to a 48" screen on consideration of that information. I forgot to mention ppi in my post which is one of my concerns in screens larger than the C2 42 I have. Or it could apply in principle I guess to any size larger than the average smart phone. At what point does lower ppi make textures and other graphics look a bit blurry in modern pc games on big screen TVs?

For an extreme example for control purposes the high ppi of 500 to 600 ppi on a 6" smart phone 4k oled screen gives really super sharp IQ compared to a 75" oled tv in 4k. So that the image on the 75" would appear kind of blurry by comparison. I assume that's still true when using correct viewing distances. I'm trying to apply that reasoning to screen sizes from 40" to 75" and larger. If my line of argument is wrong then my ppi reasoning is not valid.

To narrow down my concerns here's one question regarding the C2 line. Would anyone notice less detail in IQ in games on the 48" C2 in 4k compared to the C2 42 in 4k considering the lower ppi on the 48"? If that question sounds ridiculous let me know, I think I can handle the criticism. I should just order the C2 48 and compare myself. A few on these forums have said they can see the difference in 4k gaming IQ when comparing a 42" to a 75" or bigger oled tv.

So the questions were for pc games IQ as I mentioned and not movies and other videos. That's because from what I've read the difference is a lot harder to tell when viewing streaming and cable tv movies. So this is mainly for pc games unless there's anything to my ppi opinion as applied to movies.

And one more point is 8k. I think 8k on a 75" Oled LG tv would be a great idea to boost up the ppi in games for such a large screen. If my math is correct its ppi is around 118 which is better (higher) than that of the C2 42 in 4k which is about 105 ppi. And since a single 4090 video card can handle 8k for games then maybe I should think about buying a system like that. Btw I don't think I'm going to try to setup multiple 4090s in sli.

(Edit): Yes I know I said in a previous post I'd rather view a 42" than anything larger. But when ppi is applied then if the larger TVs have equal or higher ppi than my C2 42 then I'll get the bigger TV. A main reason I got the 42" instead of a larger one is because it has the high enough ppi I like for 4k gaming IQ sharpness and image detail.

I play games mainly for graphics and not that much for story and gameplay. That's probably why I went on at length about ppi. And this all is assuming my ppi arguments are right. And again to repeat, some on the forums have said they can tell a difference in IQ detail between a 42" and a 75"+ screen for 4k gaming, so I've got that going for me.

Last edited:

You don't need a service remote to access the service menu. You can use the TV's browser, go to a website (not sure if I'm allowed to post here), enter the 0413 code and you'll end up in the service menu. I've done it and it works.

Check "method 2" here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin...o_access_lg_service_menu_without_the_service/

They say it's not recommended because the site is not secured and there's a potential of being hacked.

And one more point is 8k. I think 8k on a 75" Oled LG tv would be a great idea to boost up the ppi in games for such a large screen. If my math is correct its ppi is around 118 which is better (higher) than that of the C2 42 in 4k which is about 105 ppi. And since a single 4090 video card can handle 8k for games then maybe I should think about buying a system like that. Btw I don't think I'm going to try to setup multiple 4090s in sli.
8K and large TVs are a stupid product because the viewing distance needed for the size negates the benefit of the higher resolution. 8K at 40-50" though? That would be awesome because you would get sharp desktop with many scaling options and could use integer scaling or DLSS/FSR/XeSS for gaming. But alas nobody makes such a product let alone one capable of above 60 Hz at lower resolutions.

Above 4K resolution mainly matters for desktop use where the increased text/UI fidelity comes into play. Games don't benefit at all because you don't find 8K textures in games (at least without mods) or 3D models with so fine detail that 8K would help bring it out better than 4K. It's starting to be an art department issue more than anything where throwing more pixels and polygons at the problem doesn't yield appreciable improvement.

I should be able to adjust to a 48" screen on consideration of that information. I forgot to mention ppi in my post which is one of my concerns in screens larger than the C2 42 I have. Or it could apply in principle I guess to any size larger than the average smart phone. At what point does lower ppi make textures and other graphics look a bit blurry in modern pc games on big screen TVs?

Pixel Density
------------------

To keep it simple for the moment lets just compare different sized 4k screens.

At the same relative viewing distance, all 4k screens will look exactly the same size and pixel density to your perspective.

The problem comes in when people are forced to sit too near to a larger screen for whatever reasons (don't have the space to set up a larger layout, the funds, just don't like wider area setups, don't feel like spending money/effort to change their current desk setup, etc.). Also if they want a larger screen effect but are forced to trade off pixel density for it (e.g. when people would use a 1080p westinghouse 37" tv fairly close at a desk, with really bad PPD as a result).

A better measurement of what you are trying to say is PPD, pixels per degree which is a measure of the perceived pixel density at any given distance. Within reason compared to the screen size of course - the farther away you sit, the smaller the pixels and sub-pixels appear and the narrower or more direct your viewing angle becomes. The nearer you sit the larger the pixel structure and subpixels appear and as you get nearer the sides or extents of the screen start to become viewed off axis or off-angle to a greater and greater degree. It might help to think of it like zooming an image out too much and seeing pixels, or taking a slightly pixelated lower rez image and scaling it down so much that it starts to look crisp.

Most consider 60PPD as the point where aggressive AA and massaged text sub-sampling begin to be able to compensate enough vs more gross pixel granularity and fringing, aliasing. So beneath 60PPD is pretty poor in the 4k era, where "4k" is usually considered finer detail and greater fidelity. Beneath 60PPD is more like what you'd get at 1.5 - 2' traditional desk setup viewing distances when using a 27" or even a 32" 1440p screen. Still usable for sure but AA in games(aggressive AA at 60PPD req'd) and text sub sampling on the desktop won't be able to compensate enough anymore. Besides that, desktop graphics and imagery have no AA available typically so will appear even more granulated, there is only the "AA" of text sub-sampling for text (and some lower their real estate some by scaling the text up a little, which scales the 1:1 4k real-estate down essentially).

Here is a long scroll of various 4k 16:9 screen sizes at 60PPD and 80PPD. I put it in quotes so this reply won't be bombed too much by it. At the same relative viewing distances the different sized screen's PPD, perceived sizes to your perspective, and viewing angles will be exactly the same.

most people who buy large screens don't do the math or look at the perspective realistically and so sit way too close. They try to make larger screens work with a traditional "up against the wall like a bookshelf" or "upright piano+sheet music" desk and room layout scenario. Large screens demand a lot more space, best case separating the screen mounting option from the constraints of the desk dimensions you sit at with your peripherals (e.g. rail spine TV stand with flat foot or caster wheels, wall mount or pole mount, or other desk/bench surface just for the screen - even a smaller model adjustable standing desk).
That's most of the pictures of larger 4k screen setups I see online - "up against the wall like a bookshelf" or "upright piano+sheet music" desk and room layout - with a few exceptions. Then they often follow up with complaints about the ppi and text quality. 😝 🙄
4k PPD
60PPD 64 degree viewing angle
============================
.. on flat screens, technically a bit too close of a viewing angle vs periphery of screen being pushed out too far, but the pixel granularity will at least be low enough that subsampling and AA can compensate for the most part - at a performance hit

98" 4k screen at ~ 68.5" away has the same PPD and viewing angle and looks the same as:
80" 4k screen at ~ 56" away
77" 4k screen at ~ 54" away (60PPD, 64deg viewing angle)
65" 4k screen at ~ 45" away
55" 4k screen at ~ 38.5" away
48" 4k screen at ~ 33.5" away
43" 4k screen at ~ 30" away
42" 4k screen at ~ 29" away
31.5" 4k screen at ~ 22" away
27" 4k screen at ~ 19" away
80 PPD 48 deg viewing angle (optimal viewing angle is typically 45 - 55 deg)
===============================================================

..reduced pixel granularity so can probably get away with a little more moderate AA and text (with tweaked subsampling) will look a little better.
..until we get to something like 150PPD+ the pixels won't appear fine enough that we won't really have to rely on AA and subsampling anymore. However the gpu demand would counteract that resolution gain (8k+) anyway, losing motion clarity and motion definition aesthetics so probably better off using an optimal PPD on a 4k screen along with AA and text subsampling for the following years (though using an 8k screen on the side for desktop/apps would be good). May also benefit from 4k + DLSS AI upscaling and frame insertion to 8k at that point.

98" 4k screen at ~ 96" away has the same PPD and viewing angle and looks the same as:
80" 4k screen at ~ 78" away
77" 4k screen at ~ 75.5" away (80PPD, 48deg viewing angle)
65" 4k screen at ~ 64" away
55" 4k screen at ~ 54" away
48" 4k screen at ~ 47" away
43" 4k screen at ~ 42" away
42" 4k screen at ~ 41" away
31.5" 4k screen at ~ 31" away
27" 4k screen at ~ 26.5" away
You can see the 80PPD point (on a 4k flat screen) is where the screen diagonal measurement and the viewing distance make what is more or less an equilateral triangle or pyramid cone with your viewing angle, with the screen as the base of the pyramid. The view distance approaching the screen's diagonal is the neighborhood of the optimal viewing angle for anything with HUDs, notifications, pointers, text windows, etc. in my opinion, regardless of the PPD. Coincidentally, a 48" 4k screen at ~ 47" - 48" away is a 48 degree viewing angle. 48diag ~ "48" view - 48deg .
Beneath 60 PPD
================
It's not that the screens are unusable at sub-60PPD or anything, it's just that the pixels / pixel grid will appear much more granular and aggressive. Interfaces, bars, menus, HUDs etc will all be larger by default on lower resolution screens as well (less desktop "real-estate"). Text will also look much poorer in general at low PPD and you won't be able to use as small of a font/text size or interface size without it looking bad (you can't get more desktop real-estate by just scaling things down more - there won't be enough pixels and sub-pixels to do it with a clean result). Nearer than around 60 PPD: AA in games and text subsampling on the desktop (where AA is not available) won't be able to compensate enough anymore.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

-------------------

Something like the 55" 1000R ark screens could benefit from 8k. Like a 55" 8k curved OLED version. 1000R = 1000mm radius which is a 39.5" focal point of the curve. The 55" 1000R curve at ~ 40" view distance would be pretty immersive but at the current 4k resolution that is 61 PPD which is passable but not perfect, especially for using that screen as multiple screen spaces. For example, a 32:9 rez area for gaming on the screen only ends up being 1080pixels high (or 32:10 custom rez ~> x1200 high).

A problem with 8k is the Hz and bandwidth for gaming. For desktop it's doable at lower hz but for gaming anything in the nearer future we'd probably have to send 4k to the screen and have the screen upscale the signal on the display end due to the cable and port's bandwidth bottleneck. That or use heavy compression (~ 3 to 1) and still have some Hz limitation. Upscaling on the display end hasn't been great for gaming historically since it's usually geared for media/movies with processing overhead and so can add lag. It also typically looks a little "muddy" compared to 1:1 when scaled normally (rather than AI upscaling). It might be better if nvidia partnered with a display mfg to put DLSS AI upscaling hardware on the display end of a 8k screen somehow or something, or a display mfg work to make some kind of game mode optimized upscaling.

8k matters most when the screen size is very large vs your view distance as it again comes down to PPD, but cable and port bandwidth makes high hz 8k, even 4k upscaled to 8k on the pc end since it is just as fat of a signal, a no go without DSC (display stream compression), maybe even 3:1 rather than 2:1 compression and it would still have Hz limits. 60PPD 4k is ok outside of the 64deg viewing angle being poor but 70 to 80 PPD (or higher) are better. 60PPD is leaning heavy on aggressive in game AA to compensate and massaged and alternate text subsampling compensations on the desktop. There is no AA on the desktop for desktop graphics and imagery either generally so it will be more granular. Games would definitely benefit from very high PPD if upscaled because they wouldn't have to lean heavily on AA anymore which is otherwise a performance hit. Very High resolution (8k) alone without upscaling a lower rez (even 4k to 8k) would be too much of a performance drain though obviously. Games also have in game text.

Outside of performance/upscaling/hz/bandwidth considerations - any rez that gets you to 70 to 80PPD or higher at your view distance will be better PQ than max compensated 60PPD via aggressive AA and heavily massaged/alternate text subsampling trying to compensate enough. 60PPD can do it but just barely, and with WOLED sub-pixels the text compensation might still be suspect even at 60ppd (at default text size, 1:1 full 4k desktop mapping). Lower than 60PPD and the compensations won't do enough anymore. In some cases people even scale the text a bit due to the low PPD. People say "this sub-sampling sucks, I'm going to use this other one." "I prefer this one" . "greyscale" , etc. Really, the PPD sucks and people are struggling to compensate as much as possible. And like I said there is typically no AA for graphics and imagery on the desktop itself outside of text-subsampling for text (though you might have some 3d viewports in some authoring apps that can apply anti-aliasing or something, but generally it's not there on the desktop like in games).

8k gaming has the bandwidth bottleneck so DSC compressing 3:1 and/or upscaling on the display end would be needed to get any kind of high Hz, especially as we push for higher and higher Hz - hopefully 500Hz and up to 1000hz in the long run. Rendering full 8k on a game without upscaling technologies would be a huge hit to your frame rate which would lower the PQ (picture quality) when moving at speed since the screen would blur more and you'd get lower motion definition/articulation. You could run games in uw modes/resolutions though for some bandwidth and frame rate savings as well.

Last edited:
Useful reference:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/729...ssion=dsc2.0x&calculations=show&formulas=show

Max. Data Rate Reference Table:
  • DisplayPort 2.0 77.37 Gbit/s
  • DisplayPort 1.3–1.4 25.92 Gbit/s
  • DisplayPort 1.2 17.28 Gbit/s
  • DisplayPort 1.0–1.1 8.64 Gbit/s
  • HDMI 2.1 41.92 Gbit/s
  • HDMI 2.0 14.40 Gbit/s
  • HDMI 1.3–1.4 8.16 Gbit/s
  • HDMI 1.0–1.2 3.96 Gbit/s
  • DVI 7.92 Gbit/s
  • Thunderbolt 3 34.56 Gbit/s
  • Thunderbolt 2 17.28 Gbit/s
  • Thunderbolt 8.64 Gbit/s

According to that calculator, I calculated a bunch of these below to get a general idea of limitations:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
4k 240hz 10 bit DSC 2:1 = 40.61 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

4k 240hz 12 bit DSC 2:1 = 48.75 Gbit/s

. . . .

4k 240hz 12 bit DSC 3:1 = 32.49 Gbit/s

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

4k 400Hz 10bit DSC 3:1 = 41.52 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
3840 × 2160 (16∶9 ratio) at 400 Hz
10 bpc (30 bit/px) RGB color
Display Stream Compression (3.0× ratio)
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 41.52 Gbit/s

4k 470Hz 10bit DSC 2:1 = 76.82 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s) (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
3840 × 2160 (16∶9 ratio) at 470 Hz
Display Stream Compression (2.0× ratio)
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 76.16 Gbit/s

4k 640Hz 10bit DSC 3:1 = 76.82 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s) (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Data Rate Required: 76.82 Gbit/s

Video Format:
3840 × 2160 (16∶9 ratio) at 640 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

8k 240Hz 10bit signal (even upscaled from 4k on the pc end to 8k) at 3:1 compression: 107.20 Gbit/s (out of range of even dp 2.0)

Video Format:
7680 × 5120 (3∶2 ratio) at 240 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 107.20 Gbit/s 8k 240 Hz (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

8k 165Hz 10bit signal (even upscaled from 4k on the pc end to 8k) at 3:1 compression: 70.95 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
7680 × 5120 (3∶2 ratio) at 165 Hz

Data Rate Required: 70.95 Gbit/s 8k 165 Hz (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

8k 175Hz 10bit signal (even upscaled from 4k on the pc end to 8k) at 3:1 compression: 75.63 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
7680 × 5120 (3∶2 ratio) at 175 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 75.63 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

8k 100Hz 10bit signal (even upscaled from 4k on the pc end to 8k) at 3:1 compression: 41.65 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
7680 × 5120 (3∶2 ratio) at 100 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 41.65 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Ultrawide

8k at 32:10 ultrawide rez 200Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 41.03 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
7680 × 2400 (16∶5 ratio) at 200 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 41.03 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

8k at 32:10 ultrawide rez 345Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 76.38 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

Data Rate Required: 76.38 Gbit/s

Video Format:
7680 × 2400 (16∶5 ratio) at 345 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 76.38 Gbit/s 76.38 Gbit/s

8k at 24:10 ultrawide rez 150Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 40.02 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
7680 × 3200 (12∶5 ratio) at 150 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 40.02 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

8k at 24:10 ultrawide rez 270Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 76.56 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
7680 × 3200 (12∶5 ratio) at 270 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 76.56 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

4k at 24:10 ultrawide rez 500Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 40.73 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
3840 × 1600 (12∶5 ratio) at 500 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 40.73 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

4k at 24:10 ultrawide rez 780Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 76.32 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

Video Format:
3840 × 1600 (12∶5 ratio) at 780 Hz
CVT-R2 timing format

Data Rate Required: 76.32 Gbit/s (DP 2.0 ~> 77.37 Gbit/s)

Last edited:

Yeah that's a great one. There are a couple of other decent ones. That one shows an isometric graphic of the viewing angle which is helpful to visualize that other important aspect. While it says "PPD calculator/ screen density calculator" it's also calculating and visibly showing the accompanying viewing angle.

. . . . . .

From using the LTT resolution/bandwidth calculator I linked - These uw resolutions look like they'd be nice to run on a 16:9 4k or 8k screenif they upped the Hz on oled tvs, even at 4k upscaled to 8k being sent as an 8k signal as far as the display would be concerned. They fit within HDMI 2.1's bandwidth, at least when using DSC 3:1 compression ratio. DP 2.0 would be nice but realistically I'd prob stick with a TV model than paying up to triple+ in some cases for a comparable desktop gaming monitor version to get dp2.0 someday and potentially end up suffering AG coating to boot which would really bother me, especially on an OLED.

8k at 32:10 ultrawide 7680 × 2400 rez @ 200Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 41.03 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

8k at 24:10 ultrawide 7680 × 3200 rez @ 150Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 40.02 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

4k at 24:10 ultrawide 3840 × 1600 rez @ 500Hz, 10bit
signal at 3:1 compression: 40.73 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

^ I didn't know about that PPD or screen density calculator by Nvidia. I'm learning.

I keep ASBL on because random games and other apps will disable the screensaver in Windows, so it's nice fallback
After all my talk about ASBL I'm going to do the same, keep it on for the same reason that some games prevent the screensaver from working. It's a bit unsettling to wake up after falling asleep at the keyboard for almost 2 hours and seeing my C2 42 on the same screen in a game the whole time. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll get image retention or worse but I feel better seeing the game screen is dimmed by the ASBL.

Edit: I have screen turn off and pc sleep set at 2 hours in Win 10 settings so that helps too imho. I wonder out of curiosity how many posters also shortened their screen turn off and pc sleep times after getting their first Oled TV. I used to have them both at 4 hours when I had Samsung LCDs for years.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone newer to LG OLED tvs wasn't aware:

I use the "turn off the screen" feature which turns the oled emitters off. You can set that turn off the screen command icon to the quick menu so it's only 2 clicks to activate with the remote (I set mine to the bottom-most icon on the quick menu), or you can enable voice commands and then hold the mic button and say "turn off the screen". I wish there was a way to set it to one of the colored buttons so you could just hit one button but otherwise it works well enough. Clicking any button on the remote wakes up the emitters instantly. I usually hit the right side of the navigation wheel personally.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/j0mia1/quick_tip_for_a_fast_way_to_turn_off_the_screen/

While the emitters are off everything is still running, including sound. This works great to pause games or movies and go afk/out of the room for awhile for example. I sometimes cast tidalHD to my nvidia shield in my living room from my tablet utilizing the "turn off the screen" (emitters) feature. That allows me to control the playlists, find other material, pause, skip etc from my tablet with the TV emitters off when I'm not watching tv. You can do the same with youtube material that is more about people talking than viewing anything. I do that sometimes when cooking in my kitchen that is adjacent to my living room tv. You can probably cast or airplay to the tv webOS itself similarly. Some receivers also do airplay/tidal etc directly to the receiver.

You can use remote control software on your pc to do remote control commands via pc hotkeys too, and can go further mapping those hotkeys to a stream deck if you have one.

This app has been posted in this thread previously, but from what I can tell it has been over a year and I didn't see a great bit of detail on its features.
It totally flew under my radar.

I stumbled upon this after updating to Windows 11 yesterday while looking for guides to setup HDR properly..

Color Control:
https://github.com/Maassoft/ColorControl
View attachment 512344

It lets you setup all kinds of macros with different toggles. Looks like it is designed to change screen modes and toggle HDR depending on what is application/game is running. I really don't want to bother going through the trouble to set all of that up, but it has a killer feature I have been wanting.

Built in macros to raise and lower oled light. Unfortunately it can't just tell the tv to go to a specific value, but sends controller commands through the network.
So, say you run the macro to raise oled light +20. It will send the controller presses to go through the menu and raise the oled light value by 20.
Also you could edit the macro trivially to say +-70 to go between 30/100.

Still a hell of a lot easier than doing it your self. It wears me out. While working I keep the value low and raise it for games, so always back and forth.

I wouldn't trust a screensaver, especially a pc screensaver. Not only do they fail or get blocked by apps - Apps can crash and freeze on screen, so can entire windows sessions or spontaneous reboots stuck on bios screen, etc. It's rare but can happen. Some apps and notifications even take the top layer above the screensaver leaving a notification/window there static.

While on the subject. I kind of wish we could use the LG OSD to make mask areas. Like size one or more black boxes or circles, be able to set their translucency, and move them via the remote to mask or shade a static overlay, HUD element, bright area of a stream, etc.

Last edited:
A better measurement of what you are trying to say is PPD, pixels per degree which is a measure of the perceived pixel density at any given distance. Within reason compared to the screen size of course - the farther away you sit, the smaller the pixels and sub-pixels appear and the narrower or more direct your viewing angle becomes. The nearer you sit the larger the pixel structure and subpixels appear and as you get nearer the sides or extents of the screen start to become viewed off axis or off-angle to a greater and greater degree. It might help to think of it like zooming an image out too much and seeing pixels, or taking a slightly pixelated lower rez image and scaling it down so much that it starts to look crisp.
Can telescopic glasses help to bring in more detail when sitting at the proper distance from the screen? These from Amazon are designed for viewing TV screens. If it's of no help or seems silly to bring up then I won't press it. I'm not trying to annoy anyone with this. Just want to know if telescopic glasses for people with normal healthy eyesight can give a visual experience of being up close to the TV without having to physically move up close while not degrading IQ in any way. Edit: They are pricey and I'll probably order a pair soon unless responses say it will hurt IQ.

https://www.amazon.com/2-1X-Eschenbach-MaxTV-Glasses-Distance/dp/B001C28TCG/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3PDQEWHB57883&keywords=telescopic+glasses&qid=1667425495&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjMwIiwicXNhIjoiMy40OCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNjIifQ==&sprefix=telescopic+glasses,aps,195&sr=8-15&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can telescopic glasses help to bring in more detail when sitting at the proper distance from the screen? These from Amazon are designed for viewing TV screens. If it's of no help or seems silly to bring up then I won't press it. I'm not trying to annoy anyone with this. Just want to know if telescopic glasses for people with normal healthy eyesight can give a visual experience of being up close to the TV without having to physically move up close while not degrading IQ in any way. Edit: They are pricey and I'll probably order a pair soon unless responses say it will hurt IQ.

https://www.amazon.com/2-1X-Eschenbach-MaxTV-Glasses-Distance/dp/B001C28TCG/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3PDQEWHB57883&keywords=telescopic+glasses&qid=1667425495&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjMwIiwicXNhIjoiMy40OCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNjIifQ==&sprefix=telescopic+glasses,aps,195&sr=8-15&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

If they were like binoculars you'd probably want to flip them around and look through them in reverse, shrinking the screen lol. 4k is a grid like graph paper. People are often trying to view a large piece of 4k graph paper up near at a desk and bending over backwards with compensatory measures to make up for the poor ppd, text fringing, viewing angle, off axis color uniformity, etc. Imo just spring for a floor footed slim spine tv stand ($90 - $150 usd) and move the desk back from it a little to 70 to 80 PPD distance for finer pixels and better viewing angles.

Until 8k you aren't going to change much. 3840x2160 is 3840x2160 and the PPD is relative to view distance whatever size 4k screen it is. A curved screen can help with uniform edges if you sit at the focal point of the curve though, where the entire screen surface will be equidistant from your eyes.

The only other thing is AI upscaling and it's sharpness, that or supersampling a higher resolution down to 4k but that isn't desired usually as its a big performance hit.

Last edited:

Is this for an eye issue? Can't imagine why you'd want this otherwise; you can change the PPD with either size of the screen or distance from it. Heck, a VR headset.

I still wonder if those curved OLED is a marketing gimmick . Back in 1990s, Sony promotes Trinitron, that their screen is flat vs. all the other CRT monitors that is curved. I owned a few and very much like it. Now we are going backwards to the curved? what happen to all the benefit the industry is saying the flat screen then

I still wonder if those curved OLED is a marketing gimmick . Back in 1990s, Sony promotes Trinitron, that their screen is flat vs. all the other CRT monitors that is curved. I owned a few and very much like it. Now we are going backwards to the curved? what happen to all the benefit the industry is saying the flat screen then
Mmm Trinitron CRT :D
I do have a 27" curved monitor that I used to game on but outside of that for productivity on that size is a no for me. The 42C2 is great for both.

Well back in the days, the TVs were curved the wrong way!

Well back in the days, the TVs were curved the wrong way!

Yes aka "Fish bowl" effect..

Curved screens now are concave (think "cave") not convex. Typically a flat screen can see the extents of the screen (outside of any PPD considerations), at around 45 to 55 degrees with the screen still filling your human viewpoint and not looking isolated in view. The human viewpoint for binocular vision is really around 50 to 60 deg, but 45 deg - 55deg is comparable as a sweet spot comfort wise.

VcjhpLn.png

*60PPD 4k is about 64 deg viewing angle on a flat screen so just a few degrees outside of the human viewpoint on each side at 60PPD where aggressive anti-aliasing of graphics and heavily massaged or alternate text subsampling methods are able to compensate enough. Note however that the desktop in regard to desktop graphics and imagery typically has no AA outside of games and outside of text subsampling so higher PPD is still preferable.

Some benefits of curved screens:

- View Distance decreased, specifically on larger screens:
Sitting at the focal point of the curve and still see the entire screen surface. E.g. 1000R curve on a larger screen = 1000mm radius = ~ 39.5" focal point view distance. On larger screens this is actually closer than you'd have to sit to see the whole screen if it were flat.

R9-1200x600?$ResponsivePreset$.jpg

- Virtually Eliminates Off-Angle View Issues:
When sitting at near distances on a larger flat screen, the closer you sit the greater and greater the extents or sides of the screen will be viewed off axis or off-angle. It's the same as if you were standing outside of the screen alongside of it, the angles become the same but from the inside/center. Sitting at the focal point of the curve on a curved screen, the entire screen surface is instead equidistant from your eyes. This has the benefit of keeping the whole screen surface pointing at you directly. Flat OLED and VA screens will show a larger and larger screen uniformity "gradient" the more off angle areas of the screen are.

- Immersion. Even at the focal point of the curve without pushing the sides of the screen outside of your view, a curved screen can give a more enveloped experience. Especially something like a 55" ark though that particular model's implementation has a lot of issues and the PPD at that size is borderline at around ~61 PPD when sitting at the focal point of the curve. Personally I'd like to see a 48" , 4k, 1000R curved OLED which would be more like 70PPD and would have OLED's PQ. Once we get 8k screens someday there could be better options with 4x 4k desktop windows possible on a larger screen, or running uw gaming resolutions within the 8k screen space.

8k at 32:10 ultrawide 7680 × 2400 rez @ 200Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 41.03 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

8k at 24:10 ultrawide 7680 × 3200 rez @ 150Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 40.02 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

4k at 24:10 ultrawide 3840 × 1600 rez @ 500Hz, 10bit signal at 3:1 compression: 40.73 Gbit/s (HDMI 2.1 ~> 41.92 Gbit/s)

Human viewing angle at full 1000R distance (solid blue) and just nearer view distances (translucent blue):

0UhdIIr.png

Sitting way too close. Gets progressively worse on any screen, pushing more and more of the screen outside of your human viewpoint and making larger amounts of the screen off-angle which exacerbates viewing angle issues esp. on OLED and VA. Also eventually results in eye bending and even tennis match head turning.. While not a big deal using a screen like a multi-monitor/multi-window environement - having large areas of the viewport far outside of your focal view usually isn't desirable in games and media. Where the sides of a screen are pushed outside of your ~ 60deg viewing angle are sometimes referred to as the "eye fatigue zone". The closer you sit the worse it gets and the worse distortion and off angle uniformity is as well, and it is of course lowering your PPD somewhat by comparison.

q03mqmG.png

Last edited:
Maybe eventually get somewhere closer to this kind of thing seated back a bit farther. At least the forward part of the arc and at high PPD, without using a VR headset esp since VR PPD is horrible:

zKmcivT.jpg

Something like this at 8k in 55" - 65" size (prototype curved 65" 4k OLED from CES years ago)
725921_14-lg-display-ces-2016.jpg

Last edited:
Microsoft already have that, Elvn. But the problem w/ a VR screen is that if you are wearing that at work, you'll get motion sickness when you get off work, and can't drive home

Is this for an eye issue? Can't imagine why you'd want this otherwise; you can change the PPD with either size of the screen or distance from it. Heck, a VR headset.
To see if the glasses could bring the detail closer as if sitting closer to the screen. But that idea probably doesn't work or doesn't work as well for reasons you described and other posts about PPD. So my comment's not going to fly but at least I have the finances to absorb the over $200 usd for the glasses that probably won't work when they arrive in a few days.

Microsoft already have that, Elvn. But the problem w/ a VR screen is that if you are wearing that at work, you'll get motion sickness when you get off work, and can't drive home

Maybe eventually get somewhere closer to this kind of thing seated back a bit farther. At least the forward part of the arc and at high PPD, without using a VR headset esp since VR PPD is horrible:

Something like this at 8k in 55" - 65" size (prototype curved 65" 4k OLED from CES years ago

Nah headsets have a long way to go. I was just using that first image as an example of an environment followed by the 2nd image of an actual screen.

Back