42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Not when a massively better display is available for just over 2x the cost to repair that one. The Philips was doomed out of the box and is WAY outclassed by the LG.
+1 that. The Philips is limited to 4K at 60Hz (DisplayPort 1.2) or 30Hz (HDMI 1.4), whereas LG OLEDs can do 4K at 120Hz (HDMI 2.1). Picture quality is also better. OLED's non-RGB pixel layout might be an issue to some, but in that case you could choose some LCD monitor in the same size category.

Nah no recall. Asus pulled the v32 firmware and their support page says a new firmware will arrive mid November to address the current issues. Looks like they're just rereleasing V28 as V31.

Those with this monitor should be cautious when a new firmware drops. Let people guinea pig to see if it bricks or causes the burn in/image retention like V32 did.

Anyone else with a PG42UQ have some form of failure related to Displayport? My friends is now showing horizontal lines across the screen using DP.

Makes me suspicious that they've been pulled from sale. Newegg listing is gone and previous item# just shows out of stock like an EOL product. Asus website no longer shows a list of retailers where to buy.
then how come you wrote this?

Ugh I just got my Asus ROG monitor, now your all saying it'll be defective and fail soon on me?

i purposely have not done a firmware update yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_012558172.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221022_012558172.PORTRAIT.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221022_012415363.jpg
    PXL_20221022_012415363.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221022_013411194.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221022_013411194.PORTRAIT.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 0
Bought Halo Infinite yesterday, and man playing the campaign on this monitor is so immersive and looks incredible.

The colors pop and blacks are BLACK not grey, and plays pretty fluid, but maybe a little choppy at ultra settings and 4k

Same with Destiny 2, haven't played that in long while, that game looks amazing on this monitor, and I'm getting close to 120fps most the time.

Last edited:
So would that mean change the minimum fps in the game settings? What would be a good number?
Maximum fps.

And you'd set it somewhere close to the minimum fps you're seeing in normal play. That way you don't get wild 40fps swings. So you just have play on a few maps and figure out what that number is.

We told you to buy the LG C2 for $899 instead.

$899 for the 42 C2 is a smoking deal, but currently it's selling for $1,149.

I got my Asus ROG for $1299 on sale at Microcenter and they were cool giving me a full 2 year warranty for $99 to cover ANYTHING just bring it in and they'll replace for an equivalent new monitor at same purchases price. ( The sales guy at MC told me come here in 23 months say there's some little issue. Bring back the monitor and just get something brand new at the same price you paid for this )

Last month I had the LG C2 42 and I liked it. It was a little bit too big at first but mainly returned it because it just felt like a TV and not a PC monitor. 10 billion settings to get it dialed in correctly and it still just felt like a TV. Not a true dedicated PC display.

This Asus ROG was extremely easy and fast to calibrate following TFTCentral video and the handy remote the display comes with made it a real breeze and just super simple to work with.

And it being a PC monitor it behaves like a PC monitor not a TV

Little red box popped up in the corner saying so a Pixel cleaning

Is that just a standard pop up that comes up once a day? Or something serious to do? I am doing a cleaning, says monitor will not be available for 6 minutes.

Little red box popped up in the corner saying so a Pixel cleaning

Is that just a standard pop up that comes up once a day? Or something serious to do? I am doing a cleaning, says monitor will not be available for 6 minutes.
My Aorus asks to do a "refresh" about once a day. I read once every 4 hours but it seems less frequent than that.

Doesn't take 6 minutes on mine, maybe 3.

$899 for the 42 C2 is a smoking deal, but currently it's selling for $1,149.

I got my Asus ROG for $1299 on sale at Microcenter and they were cool giving me a full 2 year warranty for $99 to cover ANYTHING just bring it in and they'll replace for an equivalent new monitor at same purchases price. ( The sales guy at MC told me come here in 23 months say there's some little issue. Bring back the monitor and just get something brand new at the same price you paid for this )

Last month I had the LG C2 42 and I liked it. It was a little bit too big at first but mainly returned it because it just felt like a TV and not a PC monitor. 10 billion settings to get it dialed in correctly and it still just felt like a TV. Not a true dedicated PC display.

This Asus ROG was extremely easy and fast to calibrate following TFTCentral video and the handy remote the display comes with made it a real breeze and just super simple to work with.

And it being a PC monitor it behaves like a PC monitor not a TV
Nice, just in case you find that something about the monitor does not suit you during the return period you can still get the $899 deal at greentoe.com with the full LG warranty and you can add burn in protection. My display arrives Monday, it is absolutely a legitimate site. To be honest if the CW was not $400 cheaper I would have bought the Asus.
Good luck!

I once was using a 50" Samsung TV as a monitor until it died on me (1 month after the warranty expired, nice timing Samsung!) and the size did not bother me. I just bought the LG C2 42 (it arrives Monday) and I am wondering if I should have gone with the 48" model instead. You TV/Monitor GURUS tell me what you prefer based on PPD, PPI, or any other differences they may have. Don't worry about viewing distance, I am having it wall mounted so I can sit at the ideal distance for either screen.

Should I do a firmware update now? Or wait till we hear of a solid fixed version? I'm on the original release firmware.
I say stick with stock firmware for now unless you find some quirks then swap to V28.

I own a couple PG42UQ and there’s definitely some interesting quirks on the original firmware haha

Nice, just in case you find that something about the monitor does not suit you during the return period you can still get the $899 deal at greentoe.com with the full LG warranty and you can add burn in protection. My display arrives Monday, it is absolutely a legitimate site. To be honest if the CW was not $400 cheaper I would have bought the Asus.
Good luck!
$900 is definitely tempting, but I can’t go back after being accustomed to the monitor features of the Pg42UQ.

Good luck!
Who is the retailer/vender for that price?

Who is the retailer/vender for that price?
I am not allowed to say but I will tell you that the retailer IS a LG Authorized Dealer (I checked)

Thank you very much for using Greentoe to save money on your recent purchase of a LG C2 42" OLED 4K UHD EVO TV (2022) .

We wanted to reach out and send you a friendly reminder that while we encourage you to spread the word about your deal, it is very important that you never reveal the retailer name (even in private messaging within forums). So, please share the concept and the deal on forums, social media, and everywhere. But, keep the retailer name confidential.

Reactions: noko
like this
We wanted to reach out and send you a friendly reminder that while we encourage you to spread the word about your deal, it is very important that you never reveal the retailer name (even in private messaging within forums). So, please share the concept and the deal on forums, social media, and everywhere. But, keep the retailer name confidential.
Uhhhh, what the fuck? Is this some reverse psychology shit?

Kind of like the ads for the Pull-Out King?

what does MAP stands for? and what happens if you reveal the dealer? I mean, they can't exactly sue you

At first I was like this 42" size is stupid large, but now after playing Halo Infinite on it past two days, I have to say it's great, and so cool.

How you liking that 137hz refresh rate over the 120?

Not sure I really notice it in newer games, but yes in older games. To run new games at Ultra graphics settings, and at 4k resolution, and then get 138 fps ro match the 138Hz, is not easy.

Halo Infinite I'm getting anywhere from 85 to 115 fps it seems. Indoors I get 120+fps.

With this monitor I want a new video card this winter, but not the RTX 4090 no way, that thing is a giant brick that sucks power. Maybe the RTX 4080 or see what AMD offers next month. But I'll wait till Christmas

Not sure I really notice it in newer games, but yes in older games. To run new games at Ultra graphics settings, and at 4k resolution, and then get 138 fps ro match the 138Hz, is not easy.

Halo Infinite I'm getting anywhere from 85 to 115 fps it seems. Indoors I get 120+fps.

With this monitor I want a new video card this winter, but not the RTX 4090 no way, that thing is a giant brick that sucks power. Maybe the RTX 4080 or see what AMD offers next month. But I'll wait till Christmas
4090s a best! If AMDs offering is not better I would recommend you bite the bullet and get one...it really shines with 4k120+

Back