42" OLED MASTER THREAD

After watching that I'm kinda happy I went with the C2. Also saved some money doing so.
Yeah me too, I’m glad I paid £859 plus £10 for a service remote rather than £1399. By coincidence here in the UK the Asus has arrived and confirmed delivery off Amazon this Thursday the 15th.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
Wasn't sure if you were the one to be annoyed by it, but the input and settings change where it goes blank does indeed take a good bit then traditional monitors and even the LG C2.
Yeah I was super annoyed by that lol. Thr C2 is almost instantaneous and even faster than most monitors. I really wish it's something they could improve with firmware but I'm pretty confident it's just inherent to the display controller or something.

How are you liking it so far after using it a few days? Worth it for you vs C2?

Yeah I was super annoyed by that lol. Thr C2 is almost instantaneous and even faster than most monitors. I really wish it's something they could improve with firmware but I'm pretty confident it's just inherent to the display controller or something.

How are you liking it so far after using it a few days? Worth it for you vs C2?
Loving it! My issue with the C2 and even the C1 was that sometimes I would see rainbow colors around text and haven't noticed anything like that on the PG42UQ! It's definitely a niche preference for this monitor but worth every penny since I'm using these displays about 10 hours a day.

My issue with the C2 and even the C1 was that sometimes I would see rainbow colors around text
Bought the C2 Yesterday and already noticed that. Glad to hear it's not the same on the Asus.

I'm also having problems with Color Control. We have 77 inch c2 in the living room wired, while the 42 is bluetooth connected. Color control see's both panels, but when I try to click the box on the 42, it also updates the 77, so haven't yet found a way to turn it on/off without remote.

Also, It looks like the second round of pre-orders shipped today from Newegg. Pre-ordered the PG42UQ Sept 2nd. Shipped today.

1663034535920.png

Loving it! My issue with the C2 and even the C1 was that sometimes I would see rainbow colors around text and haven't noticed anything like that on the PG42UQ! It's definitely a niche preference for this monitor but worth every penny since I'm using these displays about 10 hours a day.
btwn. the C2 and the Asus, is the text ratio at that 4:4:4? I momentarily forget what it is proper name for that ratio

Surprised to read the comments about text clarity etc… It is the same panel and pixel structure. Might well be better than QD OLED but otherwise should be the same. So the reviews tend to go anyway.

4:4:4 support is virtually a foregone conclusion these days. Doesn’t hurt to check, but it’s not 2014 anymore. :)

I've heard several reviewers say that the LG has optical out where as the ASUS monitor does not - but in this video, it looks like the ASUS might have a 3.5mm S/PDIF port? That would make my life easier on the audio side.

Edit - maybe they were talking about ARC/eARC which I don't care about with my office 2.1 audio setup.

Still - almost no PC monitors have optical out and the ASUS has PiP and PbP and you can select which source has audio so this might be ideal for me - I can play the NV Shield in a PiP while working, etc.

1663169054507.png

Last edited:
4:4:4 support is virtually a foregone conclusion these days. Doesn’t hurt to check, but it’s not 2014 anymore. :)
No kidding. But these 2 monitor the LG C2 and the Asus, is not really a monitor. It's more than a TV panel. As no real monitor c/w a remote. Remote usually associated w/ TV only. and w/ TV, it's usually NOT 4:4:4. So I think we need to be sure that anyone who owns this monitor can read the text on a wordprocessor w/o any ghost image

No kidding. But these 2 monitor the LG C2 and the Asus, is not really a monitor. It's more than a TV panel. As no real monitor c/w a remote. Remote usually associated w/ TV only.
That's not remotely true, there have been many monitors with a remote control over the years.
I even had one in 2007.

No kidding. But these 2 monitor the LG C2 and the Asus, is not really a monitor. It's more than a TV panel. As no real monitor c/w a remote. Remote usually associated w/ TV only. and w/ TV, it's usually NOT 4:4:4. So I think we need to be sure that anyone who owns this monitor can read the text on a wordprocessor w/o any ghost image
I've been in this game since 2014/2015 when 4K TVs were finally and consistently able to render 4:4:4 for perfect text quality. Most of the major players (LG, Samsung, Sony, heck even TCL and those other cheap brands) have been able to do this, so the C2/Asus are not special in that regard. Not sure about 1080p as I always used monitors prior to getting my Samsung 4K TV in 2015 that did 4:4:4. There was a huge thread on them because to have a 4K TV that could do 4:4:4 @ 60Hz with good input lag was a big deal at the time.

I've heard several reviewers say that the LG has optical out where as the ASUS monitor does not - but in this video, it looks like the ASUS might have a 3.5mm S/PDIF port? That would make my life easier on the audio side.

Edit - maybe they were talking about ARC/eARC which I don't care about with my office 2.1 audio setup.

Still - almost no PC monitors have optical out and the ASUS has PiP and PbP and you can select which source has audio so this might be ideal for me - I can play the NV Shield in a PiP while working, etc.

View attachment 510029
Yup it indeed does!

Attachments

• 905DE74B-15A1-4E82-80C0-10590B7C7858.jpeg
    905DE74B-15A1-4E82-80C0-10590B7C7858.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 1
Almost had a heart attack at first, one of my PG42UQ wouldn’t turn on and hand to manually unplug, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in and then it on

Has anyone reduced the brightness on their C2 so the ABL never kicks in? How dop I even determine which level of brightness would prevent it from kicking in?

It appears the ABL is a lot less aggressive on the Asus compared to the C2. It doesn't engage nearly as much with out of the box settings compared to the C2.

It appears the ABL is a lot less aggressive on the Asus compared to the C2. It doesn't engage nearly as much with out of the box settings compared to the C2.
You’re talking about the ASBL there as opposed to ABL I believe? The one which detects static content and dims when the picture isn’t changing as much

The one where if you leave the desktop on, it gets progressively dimmer over time. That is ABSL? Thank you.

Does this require the service remote I've been reading about to disable on the Asus? It was one of the reasons I returned the C2. There's a third party App called Color control that apparently will let you alter things from the service menu, but I was not able to get it working with my TV setups. We have a wired C2 77 inch in the living, and I had the 42 recognized wirelessly in windows. Color Control would recognize both, but any boxes checked on the 42 would also get checked on the 77. It could have been I just didn't have the proper supporting software to get it to work correctly (e.g. dot.net stuff.)
Just got the monitor wall mounted last night, so have yet to revisit Color Control and see if things have changed.

I'm extremely new to oled in general, but the picture is really pretty amazing coming from an IPS panel (LG38GL950G with 17k hours.)

(Need to redo the sound panels, they shrank over time, also looks like the monitor is slightly out of level, can adjust that later)

20220914_215751.jpg

I am leaning more towards the C2 since it is also a TV which can go into the bedroom when the real monitor I want (future) actually comes into existence. Where it will be hooked up to another computer while also serving as a bedside entertainment device :D.

To disable ASBL on the Asus all you have to do is disable the "screen saver" option in the system settings where all the OLED care stuff is.

To disable ASBL on the Asus all you have to do is disable the "screen saver" option in the system settings where all the OLED care stuff is.
This

And on the LG C2 you could only do it from service menu sadly but a service remote only costs about $10

I just used my harmony to get into the Service Menu, now 2 years without ASBL.

This

And on the LG C2 you could only do it from service menu sadly but a service remote only costs about $10

There's also a way to get into the C2's service menu through the web browser through some shady URL and enter the "0413" code. I did it myself to disable ASBL.

Now regarding the ABL itself, in terms of productivity, if I turn HDR OFF, I don't notice it AT ALL (I don't even think it's even happening in SDR).

Really glad I picked up the C2 over the Asus. I also owned the AW3423DW for a week and returned it. I was a bit annoyed by the ultrawide format for media consumption (movies) and PS5, and felt it looked dimmer than the C2 (although it produced brigher 2% hightlights, I think the 10% window is dimmer than the C2 (not sure if that or the coating is what affected the apparent brightness)

Hopefully you guys disabling the static image dimming bought the Geek Squad warranty.

The one where if you leave the desktop on, it gets progressively dimmer over time. That is ABSL? Thank you.

Does this require the service remote I've been reading about to disable on the Asus? It was one of the reasons I returned the C2. There's a third party App called Color control that apparently will let you alter things from the service menu, but I was not able to get it working with my TV setups. We have a wired C2 77 inch in the living, and I had the 42 recognized wirelessly in windows. Color Control would recognize both, but any boxes checked on the 42 would also get checked on the 77. It could have been I just didn't have the proper supporting software to get it to work correctly (e.g. dot.net stuff.)
Just got the monitor wall mounted last night, so have yet to revisit Color Control and see if things have changed.

I'm extremely new to oled in general, but the picture is really pretty amazing coming from an IPS panel (LG38GL950G with 17k hours.)

(Need to redo the sound panels, they shrank over time, also looks like the monitor is slightly out of level, can adjust that later)

View attachment 510330
I have the same LG 38GL950 monitor and as much as I love it, this Asus has me in thrall. I want to try one for a few weeks and see how it is.

Did you use your LG for work or just for gaming? Is there anything on the OLED that ever makes you question your decision?

I have the same LG 38GL950 monitor and as much as I love it, this Asus has me in thrall. I want to try one for a few weeks and see how it is.

Did you use your LG for work or just for gaming? Is there anything on the OLED that ever makes you question your decision?
I dare say anything OLED is bad for work. If you're like me with multiple static items on screen all day, 5 days a week. I don't see how you won't get burn in using an OLED screen. They are great for multimedia and gaming. Office work? hell no.

Back