42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Has anyone been able to order one from Amazon or has it not been in stock yet?
Yes wh en SoCali posted it, I preordered two. No ETA date on Amazon but my Newegg order says release date is 9/6. More inclined to believe that at this moment.

sometimes I wonder why is it noone shows a still high resolution photo of a model or rainforest, or some photo w/ vibrant color, usually a photo of a model w/ skin color is useful

Last edited:
Great to see these finally coming into the market. For me personally, I cannot see myself parting ways with my PG32UQX as the screen size, PPI and Brightness in HDR are perfectly suited for my needs. I would love to check one of these out though in microcenter.

Yes wh en SoCali posted it, I preordered two. No ETA date on Amazon but my Newegg order says release date is 9/6. More inclined to believe that at this moment.
I expect Amazon to provide a similar ETA by the end of the week. I hung onto my newegg pre-order too but much prefer Amazon so if Amazon updates my order with mid September delivery (they are usually very conservative), going to cancel newegg hopefully before they begin processing and charge my card.

When the PG32UQX released Amazon actually shipped out before newegg.

Edit: Asus said on live stream availability should be September 6-12th for retailers.

Last edited:
I expect Amazon to provide a similar ETA by the end of the week. I hung onto my newegg pre-order too but much prefer Amazon so if Amazon updates my order with mid September delivery (they are usually very conservative), going to cancel newegg hopefully before they begin processing and charge my card.

When the PG32UQX released Amazon actually shipped out before newegg.

Edit: Asus said on live stream availability should be September 6-12th for retailers.
Ok snaps super exited thanks!

Did you end up keeping your PG32UQX?

Ok snaps super exited thanks!

Did you end up keeping your PG32UQX?
Nah I sold it a few months after and went back to my 48" C1.

Also I forgot to mention one real annoyance with this Asus according to TFT:

When you enable an HDR input then the screen takes a fair time to switch in to HDR mode, about 7 – 8 seconds which is a little annoying

I really hope that's not the case for resolution changes (DLDSR)/Alt-tabbing/etc because its insanely slow compared to the C2 which takes literally 1.5 seconds and feels almost instantaneous.

I've seen some people peeling the matte coating off their AW3423. I wonder if people will try to same thing with the Asus. Some people really hate AG it seems.

Amazon UK took the money from my account yesterday so I’m hoping that is a sign that dispatch is close on my Asus.

Last edited:
Well not surprisingly Amazon UK does not have the item in stock yet. They apologised for taking the money prior to dispatch and gave me £5 compensation lol

I’m hoping for mid-September based on the Asus Live Stream though the guy did not fully understand what he was talking about. He said you had to use the HDMI port to get the overclock which is wrong.

I've seen some people peeling the matte coating off their AW3423. I wonder if people will try to same thing with the Asus. Some people really hate AG it seems.
Antiglare + OLED is basically useless. The AG coating scatters both incoming AND output light hazing the blacks and applying a slight blur to the image, this has been demonstrated multiple times by multiple showings: AG blurs the image and makes blacks grey, yes, even in a dark room with no light pollution.

So what's the point of spending a fortune on perfect blacks, to then make them grey with an AG coating?

Not to mention, OLEDs are notorious for not being very bright. so you'd be making a bad decision using them in a space with bright lighting and high levels of ambient contrast. So why would anyone need an AG coating for 'getting rid of distracting reflections'? A MicroLED screen is a much better choice if you're going to be using the screen in a bright environment.

In other words, AG coating is ONLY negative with OLED. it has no actual benefits.

Antiglare + OLED is basically useless. The AG coating scatters both incoming AND output light hazing the blacks and applying a slight blur to the image, this has been demonstrated multiple times by multiple showings: AG blurs the image and makes blacks grey, yes, even in a dark room with no light pollution.

So what's the point of spending a fortune on perfect blacks, to then make them grey with an AG coating?

Not to mention, OLEDs are notorious for not being very bright. so you'd be making a bad decision using them in a space with bright lighting and high levels of ambient contrast. So why would anyone need an AG coating for 'getting rid of distracting reflections'? A MicroLED screen is a much better choice if you're going to be using the screen in a bright environment.

In other words, AG coating is ONLY negative with OLED. it has no actual benefits.
Let me hop into my time machine to 2030 and buy a MicroLED monitor BRB.

Having used the LG CX 48" two years as a desktop display, even though I had it placed so that there are no strong reflections coming on display, at the size of the screen reflections were still there. I could ignore them, but they were there. IMO having a very light AG coating is useful for reducing the sharp reflections but AG coatings are not made equal.

I hope the ASUS PG42UQ has a coating similar to what I have on my 28" Samsung G70A. I can see myself as a blurry reflection in it against a black background, but it doesn't look grainy like some AG coating does. I have a glossy 16" Macbook Pro right next to it and don't find the G70A's coating offensive at all.

Ok this sounds great. When I used the CX 48", a big issue with its size is that the closer it is the more awkward it gets to look at the corners. So even if you were ok with looking at the center, the edges would not be nice. Bringing them closer with a curve should fix that right up and make the 42" size more usable.

But with a motorized bending system I expect this will be just way too expensive. I'd rather take the manual bending system Corsair has. I just don't see a reason to be bending the display more than a few times during initial setup as you figure out how you want to set it up.

I just don't see a reason to be bending the display more than a few times during initial setup as you figure out how you want to set it up.
I could see using it curved for games, and flat for desktop use easily... It's intriguing to me.

I could see using it curved for games, and flat for desktop use easily... It's intriguing to me.
I don't feel that distinction is necessary. I have done for example UI design work on a curved monitor and it hasn't resulted in any issues. Curvature does weird things to your eyes where they adapt to it after a while and then when you go back to a flat screen it seems like it's convex until your eyes adapt again.

I know I would just set it up, play with it initially a bit and then it remains parked in that state for all eternity. I could not be bothered to move the CX 48" when I had it mounted on a monitor arm closer to me for gaming in ultrawide vs further back as full screen desktop, so I know I would be lazy in adjusting all this.

I guess the motorized aspect does make it easier to do especially if it lets you create preset settings like you can have on some standing desks. I currently have a manual height adjustable IKEA desk where you have to turn a crank to make it go up and down and I basically never use it unless I need to get under the desk to do something whereas at work having motorized desks with presets made them so dead easy to use.

it unless I need to get under the desk to do something whereas at work having motorized desks with presets made them so dead easy to use.
did you see Monica Lewinsky under the desk as well? :D

======================

for those that are getting the Asus, will you post a review here in this thread or do you people have your own youtube chnl. that you would post it at the chnl.? or would there be a new thread under the subject Asus 42 / 48 OLED

TFTCentral review now live including new testing today of the latest firmware which fixes ABL problems and dimming issues

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg42uq-oled
Unfortunately it's still dimmer than C2 on >50% window sizes.

wtf.png

Disappointed at the 600K color temp difference between middle and sides, I know that is gonna bug me if I ever tried this screen.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-announce-oled-flex-lx3-with-42-bendable-oled-panel-4k-and-120hz

Another 42" monitor option from LG with an adjustable curve up to 900R. IMO this one up's the Asus since I feel like the adjustable curve is a much nicer feature to have than 138Hz.

Just saw this in threads so came here to see if any master thread on that model yet. heh.

The curve would be nice for ultrawide 3840x1600 rez on certain games especially.

PPD is always important to me though so I'll have to see what it's like at different curvature's focal points:

RNngvaI.jpg

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

60PPD to 80PPD on 42" 4k = 29.0" to ~ 41" view distance

800R: 800mm focal point of curve = 31.5" view distance if it could have bent that far (60 deg viewing angle).
. . . . .On a 42" 4k that would have been 63.7 PPD. That's 60 PPD+ so "good enough" to compensate for granulated/more aggressive looking pixel structure for the most part with aggressive AA (at performance cost) and massaged text subsampling methods.

900R: 900mm focal point of curve = 35.43" view distance (55 deg viewing angle).
. . . . . .On a 42" 4k that is 70.2 PPD which is quite a bit better than the 60 PPD range (where AA and text sub-sampling have to be leaned on harder). 70 is a good figure. :watching:

1000R: 1000mm focal point of curve = 39.37" view distance. (50 deg viewing angle)
. . . . . .On a 42" 4k that is ~ 77 PPD which is approaching 80PPD. You can probably get away with a little less aggressive AA, and text and interfaces (at default scaling/sizes) will look sharper since the pixels and sub-pixels will be considerably smaller to your perspective. 1000R is still a considerable curve amount/benefit too.

1500R: 1500mm focal point of curve = ~ 59" view distance. (34 deg viewing angle).
. . . . . .On a 42" 4k that is 111.4 PPD. Quite high ppd but the view distance is too far and the viewing angle too narrow. 45deg to 55 deg is usually considered best.

Last edited:
TFTCentral review now live including new testing today of the latest firmware which fixes ABL problems and dimming issues

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg42uq-oled
Really nice that it will now do 195nits full field with 0 ABL using that uniform brightness setting but they massacred the HDR Gaming preset all for the sake of 70ish nits to try and hit their 900nit marketing figure in a realistic manner. Those of us who care about accuracy will now have to use the less bright HDR Cinema mode.

EDIT: Also now the EOTF tracks much worse across the entire range vs just being over brightened at the top.

Jeebus that stand is huge. Is it possible to mount the panel on an arm ? You would need so much desk depth for that thing.
if you are doing a JPEG cut of a rectangle of a graphics software, and the corner is at the curved edge, I just don't know how can my eyes get used to that. I'll pass on all bendable screen unless it's the same price

Ok this sounds great. When I used the CX 48", a big issue with its size is that the closer it is the more awkward it gets to look at the corners. So even if you were ok with looking at the center, the edges would not be nice. Bringing them closer with a curve should fix that right up and make the 42" size more usable.

But with a motorized bending system I expect this will be just way too expensive. I'd rather take the manual bending system Corsair has. I just don't see a reason to be bending the display more than a few times during initial setup as you figure out how you want to set it up.

. . . . . . . . . .

Bringing them closer with a curve should fix that right up and make the 42" size more usable.

You are thinking that pulling the corners and far edges inward could help you not have to rely on using quite as narrow of viewing angle as you might have to on a flat screen (for information, huds, etc at the periphery). It would mainly be more immersive I'd think but it might be a little more comfortable.

the closer it is the more awkward it gets to look at the corners

Each curve amount still has a fixed focal point where you are equidistant from all points of the screen so it's not like you would be sitting closer than that fixed point when viewed properly. At 900R and 1000R you are at the same distances that you'd be for 50 - 55 deg viewing angle on a flat screen. The optimal viewing angle for a flat screen is usually considered around 45 - 55 deg to start with. I think a lot of people are just sitting too close to large OLED screens in the first place.

Note that the 60PPD point on a flat 4k screen is actually too close to the screen viewing angle wise. 60PPD 4k is 68 degrees specifically. That's not great and pushes the extents of the screen out a bit too far but it's high enough ppd for aggressive AA and text subsampling to work well enough pixel grid wise so some people will choose suffer the viewing angle in order to be able to sit closer to a big screen (due to constraints of space, desk, mounts, and cost of upgrading setup around the screen size otherwise usually). When you approach 70 - 80 PPD on a 4k flat screen you are in the sweet spot of 55deg to 45deg. Your best viewing angle on a flat 4k is already at the 900R and 1000R distances .

42" 4k
======

4k flat: 60PPD 68deg viewing angle = 29" view distance
4k flat: 70PPD 55deg viewing angle = 35" view distance
900R: 70PPD fixed focal point = 35.4" view distance (900mm)
1000R: 77PPD fixed focal point = 39.4" view distance (1000mm)
4k flat: 80PPD 48deg view angle = 41.1" view distance

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

a motorized bending system I expect this will be just way too expensive. I'd rather take the manual bending system Corsair has.
Yes I think it's going to be quite expensive (prob not worth it for most that could pick up a ~$750 to $1000 42" to 48" oled). It's also more things that could break. It does look huge too. It would likely require a separate stand to get to the focal point of the curves and like a few other models would almost certainly have no vesa mounting option with that huge machine/motor on the back of it. So on it's own pillar stand of some sort or separate bench desk.

I just don't see a reason to be bending the display more than a few times during initial setup

I disagree here. Some media and types of games are better flat. Also if you are watching the screen from farther away or sidelong for media or whatever any time during it's lifespan you wouldn't be at the focal point of the curve. Some games and especially running ultrawide resolutions benefit more from curve while top down games, rts, some arcade/indie stuff, etc might look better flat. The benefit of having bendable is that you don't have to decide on one set screen orientation of flat or curved being baked in. While you could settle on a single curve like you are suggesting, it would have tradeoffs. I'm 100% with you on going with manual though.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it can go even lower. We aren't near black friday yet, let alone near the launch of the C3. Plenty of opportunity for further price reductions.
As of last night only 8 had sold, may be everyone is waiting on more price cuts or JP has finally killed demand.

Back