42" OLED MASTER THREAD

The LG C2 42 software is shite. No way around it. Jebus it sucks. I have to log in to install an app? Why? Can I log in eith my LG account. No. LG sucks. Sorry. Great picture though. Might have to get the Asus instead :/

Interestingly it says VRR is 48-120 Hz but I expect this is just a crappy copy paste in the manual and it works fine at 138 Hz too.

For PbP there is no option to select between horizontal vs vertical split so I assume it's just 2x 1920x2160.

3840x1600 is also listed as stock supported resolution so that's good.

I kind of like the remote in its minimalism. I don't particularly care for the C9/CX remote with lots of buttons that have no use and the scroll wheel that doubles as ok button is awkward.

As an overall package I don't have huge complaints about this if its price is not going to be totally out of line vs the LG C2 42".

Yeah when Acer revealed the price of their 48" OLED to be $2500 I was worried that the 42" wouldn't be much cheaper and that Asus might follow up with similarly high pricing for their models but that does not seem to be the case at all. Really looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on this monitor once it launches. Personally I'll be waiting for a decent discount before I pull the trigger on it. The LG 42C2 will for sure get discounted to $999 or below either at the end of this year or early next year so I'm really hoping Asus can at least drop the PG42UQ to $999 at some point.

Is there a way to make the C2 when powered on to go straight to HDMI1 instead of the Home Screen?

VRR does work at 138hz on the PG42UQ. I think Nvidia chose not to certify it's "Gsync Compatibility" beyond the factory 120hz.

VRR does work at 138hz on the PG42UQ. I think Nvidia chose not to certify it's "Gsync Compatibility" beyond the factory 120hz.
138Hz is OC, they state what works according to actual specs.
"Gsync compatibility" is not tied to any refresh.

Perhaps they chose not to certify it since they cannot guarantee that it will work flawlessly at 138Hz vs 120Hz. Might have some flickering or blanking out etc. once you go beyond 120Hz. Although I'm sure the vast majority of users will have no issues, personally I never had any issues with "OC refresh rates" on monitors ever since the Dell S2417DG allowed OC from 144Hz to 165Hz back in 2016.

Perhaps they chose not to certify it since they cannot guarantee that it will work flawlessly at 138Hz vs 120Hz. Might have some flickering or blanking out etc. once you go beyond 120Hz. Although I'm sure the vast majority of users will have no issues, personally I never had any issues with "OC refresh rates" on monitors ever since the Dell S2417DG allowed OC from 144Hz to 165Hz back in 2016.
Neither have I with any monitor that has some form of refresh rate OC. I am hearing lots of reports of people having flicker/blanking issues with the LG 48" OLED monitor at 138hz so it may be the case here too although Asus has already provided like 4 firmware updates for the PG48UQ with the first available for the PG42UQ bringing it to parity.

138Hz is OC, they state what works according to actual specs.
"Gsync compatibility" is not tied to any refresh.
I am only interested in knowing any study on how many yr. this OC cut down on the lifespan on an Asus. So far, I really don't see any benefit that human eyes can tell

Amazon UK started accepting orders for the PG42UQ with no ETA. Hopefully Amazon US follows suit soon.
according to that video, the 42" vs. 48" is only GBP100 different, so who's going to buy the 42" to save GBP100?

according to that video, the 42" vs. 48" is only GBP100 different, so who's going to buy the 42" to save GBP100?
48 too big for my desk, 42 would work much better. I’m personally not at all interested in the 48 despite the small price difference.

out of interest, how much empty space do you guys have left on your desk, that it won't fit a 48"? and for that matter, what size is your desk? My one is 92" x 48"

out of interest, how much empty space do you guys have left on your desk, that it won't fit a 48"? and for that matter, what size is your desk? My one is 92" x 48"
I wouldn't put the 48" on a desk at all. I have a 80 cm deep desk and tried the CX 48" mounted on a monitor arm (using a VESA 100x100 to 300x300 adapter plate). It didn't work that well so I bought a floor stand that puts it at 1m viewing distance. That worked well for me. The 42" might be borderline acceptable on a monitor arm with a deep desk.

The stands on these are also complete crap with zero adjustments. The 42" model stand at least doesn't poke out too far out the back.

It also makes no sense to me to try to save 100 quid and deal with the 48" model's larger size. I didn't mind it, but would have definitely preferred a smaller one. Just get the 42".

Last edited:
Well instead of a new computer monitor, I upgraded my Great Room TV to a LG C2 65" OLED, previous TV was a 2019 Vizio M-Series.

Also upgraded my old Receiver to a current Yamaha with all the latest outputs and current formats my old Demon Receiver from 2001 obviously did not have LOL.

I have a large desk and have had both the 48" and 42". The latter is a WAY better size.

As for the new Asus coming out, an extra 18 Hz isn't really floating my boat. I'll probably keep my 42C2 until I see a 42" with north of 160 Hz (preferably 240 Hz).

I don't understand how the ASUS can have a better "pixel structure" if its a LG panel? My only complaint about my 42C2 is the ABL can be a little distracting but nothing crazy.

I don't understand how the ASUS can have a better "pixel structure" if its a LG panel? My only complaint about my 42C2 is the ABL can be a little distracting but nothing crazy.
Exactly, that's my question. I'll buy the Asus, for the warranty and the brand name. It should be 3 yr. warranty in North America. That's what I'm aiming at. But since the product is not really out, I have to wait to read up on the ABL problem. If this is 1 yr. warranty, then I'll wait for someone else like Viewsonic

It's better compared to QD-OLED.

They're comparing it to the QD OLED.

I don't know if this is a hot take here, but the QD OLED pixel structure is worse than the WOLED. One kf the few things that is. It seems to effect more than text. WOLED isn't great at text but the 42" being ~32-35" makes it a non-issue. The AW34 has to be a lot closer, which exacerbates the problem more (despite the two displays being around the same ppi.)

Take aways are that as of the current firmware, the pixel refresh prompt that lasts 15 seconds does not appear to be defeatable. They prefer the matte coating to the glossy C2 because the matte is really only there to combat daytime reflections which they think are just as intrusive if not more on the C2 as a minor perceived contrast loss during the day with this matte coating. In a dark room where OLED shines though it makes no difference between the two. Overall they did not find the matte coating to be an issue at all but this is subjective because they also didn't find the AW3423DW's text an issue and I thought it was disgusting.

Screen has some aggressive ABL issues on the current release day firmware that weren't present during the showcase event TFT attended. They brought it to Asus attention and Asus said that their engineers are releasing a firmware at the end of the month to resolve the issue.

Total display input lag = 1ms (C2 = 4.3ms in Game Optimizer from TFT's review)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that EOTF is slightly off on the top end over brightening stuff. Below the top 25% or so its fine. Possibly intentional on Asus part to increase perceived brightness because its also present on the HDR Cinema preset although to a lesser degree.

Screenshot 2022-08-23 104511.png

Overall its a pretty competant effort on Asus part. Hopefully that firmware update also addresses the >50% window sizes being a bit more dim than the C2.

Last edited:
They did a review on it somewhere else. It's in chinese thou. Good video.
They had to push color temp to 10,000k to get it brighter.

Id be nice to see what this heatsink looks like. is it more of a heatsink, or a film, and how hard it can be pushed before brightness controls kick in, and if they can be disabled like on the LG and Samsung.

The heatsink looks to probably be some kind of film or panel backing if any because nothing is visible during their tear down and they are pretty thorough.

HDR console brightness is an anomoly and seems to be some firmware bug. Either way the default HDR Gaming preset is what people should use because its the best calibrated.

Ya the brightness is too conservative at 50% and above. They need to crank it up a bit more.

That's the main thing, imho, 5.5 times lower than LG C2 42. 1ms total input lag is just crazy fast. Definitely, I'd upgrade.
The input lag on my CX 48" is already low enough that I could never notice it in use as long as game mode is used. So that would not be a good reason to upgrade.

But I'd probably pick the ASUS PG42UQ over the LG C2 if they were priced similarly. It's nice to see companies put out good products every once in a while.

It's available for preorder on Newegg with a September 9th ETA. Amazon should be listing it soon too.

$1400 isn't too bad. I'm still deciding if matte is going to make a huge difference vs glossy. I'd like to see reviews with side by side comparison with the C2. But it looks like it's worth the extra ~$150 (over c2) for the cooling system, increased brightness, refresh rate.

$1400 isn't too bad. I'm still deciding if matte is going to make a huge difference vs glossy. I'd like to see reviews with side by side comparison with the C2. But it looks like it's worth the extra ~$150 (over c2) for the cooling system, increased brightness, refresh rate.
That’s not the situation here in the UK. The Asus is £1399 and the C2 easily had for £950 and dropping. We are facing a large premium and that is a big consideration for me, though I prefer the Asus if all other things were equal.

Back