42" OLED MASTER THREAD

If the Asus has some form of BFI-Sync, or even just 120Hz BFI at all then that would be enough to sway me over to their side over an LG C2 despite the matte coating. Yes yes I know "nobody uses BFI" but I had my own use cases for it and was kinda bummed that the C2 removed it.
I'll occasionally use BFI on my CX on the rare occasions where I notice the near-black flashing in really dark games when VRR is enabled. There's no excuse for removing 120Hz BFI on the C2. I don't care if the data shows that few use it, it would've cost them nothing to leave it alone. And to leave the suckier 60Hz BFI mode is baffling...

Bummer. Although I guess the other pro for the Asus is the heatsink. We only know the 3% window which is 900 nits but the full white also seems to benefit from having a heatsink when compared against the LG C2. 108 nits vs 135 nits.

C2:

1660072455525.png

PG42UQ:

1660072473510.png

I am expecting to see improvements across the entire window size, we'll just have to see what the actual numbers are going to be.

Asus is just quoting data sheet specs from the panel manufacturer (you can tell based on their contrast specification). C2 in SDR is capable of 180nits full field and only gets gimped in HDR. We will have to see for certain when its actually measured. I'm pretty optimistic.

6w9amemnimf91.png

Last edited:
Bummer. Although I guess the other pro for the Asus is the heatsink. We only know the 3% window which is 900 nits but the full white also seems to benefit from having a heatsink when compared against the LG C2. 108 nits vs 135 nits.

C2:

View attachment 499274
Those are the measured results from RTings.
Damn thats poor!
Its no surprise they didnt go for an HDR certification, it might not even make HDR500.

TV manufacturers don't care about Vesa DisplayHDR but besides that, yes it wouldn't even satisfy DisplayHDR 400 True Black because of the fullscreen long duration test. Full field brightness is pretty irrelevant for HDR.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 160543.png

Reactions: Nenu
like this
TV manufacturers don't care about Vesa DisplayHDR but besides that, yes it wouldn't even satisfy DisplayHDR 400 True Black because of the fullscreen long duration test. Full field brightness is pretty irrelevant for HDR.

View attachment 499331
Also whats crazy is standard HDR 400 doesnt need Wide Colour Gamut!
https://displayhdr.org/
Scroll to "Summary of Performance Differences by Tier"
How TF is that HDR? lol.

Another issue is their lack of anything higher than an HDR 1400 spec.
This will slow progress of higher emission displays which films are mastered for, up to 10,000 Nits!
No proper toys to play with, booo.
Then again, OLED cant go that far, it will need another tech. I fancy uLED with huge heatsinks :D

I digress, apologies :)

Lol what? The subpixel structure is the one thing I wouldn't want to advertise on this display if I was Asus.

EDIT: Looks like they're taking shots at the Alienware QD-OLED with that marketing point. WRGB subpixel is still inferior to RGB stripe found in LCD's for text clarity though.
The only OLED maker who can do this currently is JOLED, but their monitors are all limited to 60Hz and extremely dim.

Also this is going to bite Asus in the ass, claiming that their heatink can prevent image burn-in. More resistant, sure. But prevent???

lmao.png

I hope these don't disable VRR when set to 138hz. Nvidia just added the PG48UQ to its Gsync Compatible list with the latest driver and it only shows up to 120hz.

I hope these don't disable VRR when set to 138hz. Nvidia just added the PG48UQ to its Gsync Compatible list with the latest driver and it only shows up to 120hz.
Also if you have to drop down the resolution to 8bit, the 138hz is practically pointless.

Been playing around with the C242 in Cyberpunk2077 HDR, and man i have to say the visuals are just jaw dropping in some scenarios.

There is actually alot more vibrancy around certain light sources and fireflies in the grass that the Neo G9 had no hope of showing in the manner that the C2 does.

Not a very enticing review for the Sony A90K 42" OLED vs LG 42" C2. No real brightness testing other than speaking about how the smaller C2 and probably the A90K did not get the updated brighter panels yet. While each have their strengths, C2 wins out for me just due to that Sony does not support Freesync nor GSync but does support VRR (consoles). While LG supports all three. I have a Sony TV that supports VRR, does not work with FreeSync, have not tried GSync yet on it. Can't get much from this article since automatic brightness adjustments, real HDR values etc. are not covered.

https://www.t3.com/features/sony-a90k-vs-lg-c2-which-small-oled-tv-is-best

I dunno if ABSL can be disabled on the A90K because that alone would make it a deal breaker.

Reactions: noko
like this
There's no official US pricing yet, but overclockers.co.uk has the PG48UQ for £1498 and Amazon UK had the PG42UQ at £1399. It'll most likely be $1399 MSRP.

This makes more sense. Acer is really going to have to re-think the pricing on their 48 inch OLED because it is an absolutely nuts $2500.

https://news.acer.com/acer-boosts-gaming-portfolio-with-powerful-new-predator-desktops-and-monitors

1660324798052.png

I'm not sure who in their right mind is going to pay a $1,000+ premium over a 48C2 for that Acer.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$1600 for that outdated panel tech. Ugh.
Yeah, it boggles my mind people are still interested in it. I was the same way so I guess I'm guilty also. These monitors were all we've been looking at for the last 20 years so it makes sense that we cannot stop staring!

Does anyone know if any of the Sony OLEDS have any VRR support with nvidia GPUs. I understand lag will be worse than the LG, but frankly I just watched a few episodes of Netflix on an 80J Sony, and it is just in a whole different league than the LG. It is NOT close and Sony clearly has the better image quality, motion handling, brightness, refinement. And that is not even a QD-OLED! I don’t understand why anyone thinks the LG is somehow comparable to a Sony, because it just is not. I think the LG may be fine for my desk but not for a hybrid home theater/gaming setup. I hope Sony gets their gaming act together for newer models because they are making phenomenal screens!

Exit: My LG is a CX.

Does anyone know if any of the Sony OLEDS have any VRR support with nvidia GPUs. I understand lag will be worse than the LG, but frankly I just watched a few episodes of Netflix on an 80J Sony, and it is just in a whole different league than the LG. It is NOT close and Sony clearly has the better image quality, motion handling, brightness, refinement. And that is not even a QD-OLED! I don’t understand why anyone thinks the LG is somehow comparable to a Sony, because it just is not. I think the LG may be fine for my desk but not for a hybrid home theater/gaming setup. I hope Sony gets their gaming act together for newer models because they are making phenomenal screens!

Because they use the same panel so the difference comes down to image processing and guess what? Most of that image processing is going to be disabled when in Game Mode. Obviously the Sony will look better for watching media, but gaming levels the playing field between the two

Because they use the same panel so the difference comes down to image processing and guess what? Most of that image processing is going to be disabled when in Game Mode. Obviously the Sony will look better for watching media, but gaming levels the playing field between the two
Well the Sony isn’t just better for watching media it is quite a bit better. Unfortunately it has looks like VRR pushes input lag up to 15ms which to me is not acceptable for PC gaming. The LG does appear to clearly win on the gaming side, full stop. I hope Sony adds more 2.1 ports and ups their gaming ante a bit. I’m just going to wait a bit for the main screen in my living room. Not putting an LG in there.

This is what Sony rep said at Bestbuy Q&A for the Sony OLED, 42" Bravia XR A90K OLDED

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-4...4k-hdr-oled-google-tv/6505134.p?skuId=6505134
Q: Does this TV support Nvidia GSync

A: Hi Steve, thanks for your question. HDMI ports 3 & 4 are HDMI 2.1 with full band width on the A90K. They are not certified for G-SYNC or FreeSync. In addition, the MASTER Series BRAVIA XR A90K OLED TV is designed to fit perfectly in any sized room or office thanks to the 48-inch and first-ever 42-inch screen sizes. Whether you are gearing up for an intense gaming session or settling down to enjoy your favorite movie or show, rest assured the A90K will be sure to impress. Hope this helps. Erin

I have a 50" Sony Bravia XR X90J Full Array LED which has VRR, hooked up to a Radeon 6900 XT, FreeSync does not work nor is seen by AMD drivers. I would suspect the same with this TV but without a good review that is still a question. As for GSync, I have not tried yet but should in the future.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-5...k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6453206.p?skuId=6453206

Well the Sony isn’t just better for watching media it is quite a bit better. Unfortunately it has looks like VRR pushes input lag up to 15ms which to me is not acceptable for PC gaming. The LG does appear to clearly win on the gaming side, full stop. I hope Sony adds more 2.1 ports and ups their gaming ante a bit. I’m just going to wait a bit for the main screen in my living room. Not putting an LG in there.
I would have to agree as well, comparing the 50" Sony QLED to my Samsung 65" QLED for regular media content it blows it away. HDR is also much better as well but then the Sony has a Full Array LED backlight (that is if one calls 24 zones an useful Array, lol, Sony does not put out the number of zones but manual testing reviewed all, still Sony says it is not the size or number that counts but how you use it. Heard something similar somewhere :D).

I guess adding some color saturation and sharpness = perceved better image quality. They are fundamentally identical outside of input lag adding post processing that gets disabled in game mode/VRR anyway.

The real difference between them is Sony's better gradient handling but I suspect most are not pixel peeping or adept enough to even notice without them both side by side.

I do love the C242 but in some games with bright open ingame areas like Horizon Zero Dawn in the open desert during the ingame day time is dimm as f**k.

I do love the C242 but in some games with bright open ingame areas like Horizon Zero Dawn in the open desert during the ingame day time is dimm as f**k.

High APL scenes are the weakness of OLED just like starfields are the weakness of FALD LCD.

Amazon UK started accepting orders for the PG42UQ with no ETA. Hopefully Amazon US follows suit soon.

Back