42" OLED MASTER THREAD

I’m just holding out on hopium crack that better BFI implementations are available at this size. The removal of 120hz BFI is ugh…

can any video card w/ display port 1.4a run this monitor? I didn't need high speed, as I don't play PC games any more.

All these dimming pixels, burn ins and oled image retentions is boogeyman tales. In reality you will never see these things and should not worry about when buying the 42c2. Except the temporary burn-in, which will happen and will disappear. I've had my OLED C7 for 5 years it was used heavily, never hid the taskbar, run without any screensaver and there were never burn-in. Though no icons and desktop wallpapers, just solid black color. I left it on for 12 hours+ numerous times with all sorts of windows opened across the screen, and it never burnt-in permanently, nor the screen ever became dim, the screen is painfully bright til this day. I run it at OLED LIGHT set to 19, because setting the brightness above that it starts burning through my eyes and gives image retention. 😁
I had a panel replacement once (not because of burn-in), but that was probably because I abused the Pixel Refresher Procedure. Run it weekly if not daily, manually, for years.
So, if you consider this monitor - by all means it is worth it. Once you seein a video game someone light up a lighter in a dark space you know why you have the OLED.

Also I feel the must to update my initial impressions from the previous page, especially concerning the input lag.
The default setting of the Prevent Input Delay setting is set to Standard. This is a mistake. Once you change it to Boost:
dinputdelay.png

The OLED turns itself into real gaming monitor. The input lag get reduced to the level of a fast gaming TN. Almost. It feels almost as responsive as the Predator X38 (reference gaming monitor for me), and it gives you this addictive low input lag, that allows you fly through the Battlefield maps and frag people left and right and makes you feel good providing you the digital fps experience that you are looking for, with immediate reactions to your inputs somehow making this process pleasantly addictive. It is not full scale as by Predator X38, but it is there. Unlike when the Option is set to Standard, which makes the screen just moderately responsive enough for more or less fun gaming, but it doesn't give you this addictive feel of instant reaction. With Boost, it has approximately 80-85% of the Predator X38 input lag.
Another thing about the Boost input lag option, is that not only does it reduce input lag, but also somehow reduces the image blur in motion. I don't know how it works it's not supposed to reduce the the blur of the moving objects displayed on the screen, and it's got to be a placebo, but I am absolutely sure that it also makes the moving image clearer with no negatives in IQ. Very surprising. So, set this option to Boost to get all that this gaming OLED can give you.
All in all, this is THE ultimate gaming display of 2022. And most likely for many years to come.

Oh, almost forgot - it has NO BANDING. My old OLED C7 from 2017 has banding all over, once a dark tone is displayed, Skyrim is notorious for this. I am not used to seeing Skyrim without banding. The OLED 42C2, though, is crystal clear. No banding, no dark spots - just pure image displayed in motion. The C7 had banding across the whole screen, Predator X38(P and S) had dark spots, or dark dirty clouding, in the center and on top of the screen, OLED 42C2 - pure imagery with no artifacts. You see what is displayed in crystal clear manner and nothing else. Beautiful.

Last edited:
Another voice from the choir heard from. I am amused, Lat used an incorrect word, I would prefer ignorantly instead of stupidly, because I think when someone pays for something It is theirs to do as they wish. No way do I have the right to tell them how and when to use something. If they ask I can offer advice, If I pay for it unless its' a gift, by all means I decide.
It seems like Bidet, some folks must do as they are told by those little voices in their head and decide what others are worth. I disagreed with Lat's choice of words when offering his decent advice. If he does not complain why do others, but that is todays humanity.
Regardless he has way more class than some of the so called humans in this place. I figured he would not mind someone busting his chops, apparently others do.
I have no idea what you were taught but when I went around calling folks stupid or telling them they were acting stupidly more than likely it would lead to a nasty conversation or fight. But then again the US has become a nation of putties.
On the net it's amazing how many folks butt in when they are not the topic of conversation.
Glad I am amusing you. But once again, your urbane yet somehow utterly inscrutable meandering banality when it comes to having a coherent conversation here leads me to believe you are either a bot, someone on some pretty serious drugs, or someone that is not in full command of the English language as a native speaker, and as such is having to contend with translation nuances that simply aren't working out in your favor.

Lateralus did not use an incorrect word. Stupidity is often manifest in ways that are arrived at due to a lack of common sense or ignorance. I.E. Not understanding something and then acting out of that ignorance. Intelligent individuals also can and often do act stupidly - we're all human after all. :) Stupidity doesn't always have to be arrived at purely due to a lack of intelligence as you are inferring. The exact words Lateralus used were "Just don't be stupid", as in don't go there - doing something out of ignorance or lack of common sense. So your strange crusade of his "calling folks stupid" and your stating that this is somehow to "judge our intelligence level" seems quite misguided. I guess it is your choice to keep tilting at windmills, but know that the only reason I butted into the conversation to begin with was due to your strange ad hominem attack of what I thought was a completely normal post that Lateralus made.

All these dimming pixels, burn ins and oled image retentions is boogeyman tales. In reality you will never see these things and should not worry about when buying the 42c2. Except the temporary burn-in, which will happen and will disappear

okay, can you post a photo of a temporary burn in ? Or if you want to call it image retention?

and when does it disappear? are we talking about a few hr. later?

I'm not really seeing temporary IR on mine thats appearing any faster than any of my prior OLED's. Maybe WBE or WBC matters in this regard or just panel variance in general.

I have not really been paying attention in recent years since I haven't been in the market, but isn't the C2 going to drop in price at some point when the next model is relatively close to launch. In other words, if you pre-order the C2 or buy at launch, you pay top dollar, but it is almost a certainty that those units will get blown out at some point before the C3 launches? Is this still the pattern with TVs. It seems like the C1 can be had cheap but of course there is no 42 inch.

Of course if they shave off some input lag on the C3, the drooling process just starts over.

I have not really been paying attention in recent years since I haven't been in the market, but isn't the C2 going to drop in price at some point when the next model is relatively close to launch. In other words, if you pre-order the C2 or buy at launch, you pay top dollar, but it is almost a certainty that those units will get blown out at some point before the C3 launches? Is this still the pattern with TVs. It seems like the C1 can be had cheap but of course there is no 42 inch.

Of course if they shave off some input lag on the C3, the drooling process just starts over.
Thats always the way, same with Samsung ...

My TV was launched at over £3K, I bought it 1/2yr later at just over £2K.
A year later it was £1.5K.

Could someone with a kill-a-watt meter test the 42C2 turned off but with wifi on?

The tools that allow your computer to sleep/wake/turn off the monitor via your PC use wifi to do so, just wondering what the idle power draw is with that feature on versus off when the 42C2 is turned off.

RealWorld, you save my day.

1) I wonder if there is a way to NOT overclock it? turn it back down to 120Hz, or simply use HDMI 2.0 port and keep it at 60Hz?
also, for those who does NOT do any gaming, is there any benefit to a frequency higher than 60Hz? as I'm at 60Hz on my Viewsonic 43" UHD, it does the job all these years

2) the back side looks very thick, no wonder the power consumption is 300W, for the 43" UHD that I use, it only use 84W. That's very high power consumption on a monitor . Anyone can guess why it is sucking up that much?

3) Anyone knows the actual manufacturer or did Asus really make this in house?

4) what is the std. warranty period on Asus monitor?

Last edited:
RealWorld, you save my day.

1) I wonder if there is a way to NOT overclock it? turn it back down to 120Hz, or simply use HDMI 2.0 port and keep it at 60Hz?
also, for those who does NOT do any gaming, is there any benefit to a frequency higher than 60Hz? as I'm at 60Hz on my Viewsonic 43" UHD, it does the job all these years

2) the back side looks very thick, no wonder the power consumption is 300W, for the 43" UHD that I use, it only use 84W. That's very high power consumption on a monitor . Anyone can guess why it is sucking up that much?

There is benefit to 120 Hz when scrolling through documents, as evidenced by Apple’s use of 120Hz on iphones, but not much. When in motion you can clean more info from a document but it isn’t a massive difference. I would not BUY a 60Hz monitor today but I wouldn’t upgrade for refresh rate just for productivity. That is my take.

Yes. All desktop work is a lot more responsive and enjoyable in >60Hz. It is in fact hard to go from a 120Hz+ display back to 60Hz one even you're just using it for work.

Anyone can guess why it is sucking up that much?
All OLED panels tend to consume a lot of energy due to their per pixel self emitting light nature. LEDs in LCD displays are a lot less power hungry - because there's usually a lot less of them mostly.

Not sure what you're asking but the panel is from LG, the same as in their OLED TVs (likely C1 or C2).
As for the monitor Asus have their own monitor division for some time now. Even if some products are made as ODM you likely won't find out the original manufacturer.

2-3 years depending on a model.

since it's the same panel as LG, the price pt. should be in par w/ the other OLED panel. But Asus price pt. is usually higher.

it is matte, I should be happy w/ the 42". I don't need to pay extra $ for 48"

Last edited:
Awesome, but need the higher pixel density and size of a 42 inch. A smaller screen always looks sharper at the same distance. The screen will be pants when they inevitably come out with a 42 inch version. Not sure where they went with a 48.
are you originally from UK?

it is matte, I should be happy w/ the 42". I don't need to pay extra $ for 48"

Any idea on pricing? This might be the ticket. 900 NITs brightness for HDR is more than LG C2 42”. (IF the 900 NIT rating is legit for the 42” Swift). Also IMO, matte works better for a computer monitor than glossy.

No, just No.
Well to each his own. I’ve had glossy years ago and didn’t like seeing all the reflections behind me. I’d prefer a light matte like on my Alienware aw3418dw. So there is no “correct answer” here. It’s nice to have options.

I thought that was WRGB on the right?
WRGB is close to RGB but with a white dot providing high brightness.
It does have an effect on text clarity - true RGB is better - but it's not as bad as QD-OLED since Cleartype is more or less capable of working around it.

No, just No.
Glossy monitor is a no go. I have the OLED TV and I can't see myself working in front of that mirror.

Glossy monitor is a no go. I have the OLED TV and I can't see myself working in front of that mirror.
If it's a mirror, then you SHOULD be able to see yourself working. :D

J/k, obviously this is room dependent and up to personal preference. It's pretty well accepted that glossy makes for a superior image. I've been working on "mirrors" for years without issue because my setup allows it.

Don't get me wrong - sure the reflection on glossy screens can be an issue if there are bright light sources around, but that won't affect everyone. And if it was such a dealbreaking flaw, no one would make (or be able to sell) any glossy PC monitors.

If it's an issue in your environment, then luckily some companies are making displays with matte coatings (ew).

I understand it's personal preference, but you guys would rather have diffused ambient light reflections that ruin contrast over seeing clear mirror reflections without ruining picture quality?

I understand it's personal preference, but you guys would rather have diffused ambient light reflections that ruin contrast over seeing clear mirror reflections without ruining picture quality?
Yes. Because these "ambient light reflections" don't "ruin contrast" nearly as much as people think. Cause if that would be the case it would, you know, be actually visible in contrast testing.

Any idea on pricing? This might be the ticket. 900 NITs brightness for HDR is more than LG C2 42”. (IF the 900 NIT rating is legit for the 42” Swift). Also IMO, matte works better for a computer monitor than glossy.
Ditto. This is the ticket for me as well. I don't have to deal w/ Gigabyte or LG. But where's the link for the 42"? because there is no way the 42" is $1.5K, then the 48" would be some what more $

All these dimming pixels, burn ins and oled image retentions is boogeyman tales. In reality you will never see these things and should not worry about when buying the 42c2. Except the temporary burn-in, which will happen and will disappear. I've had my OLED C7 for 5 years it was used heavily, never hid the taskbar, run without any screensaver and there were never burn-in. Though no icons and desktop wallpapers, just solid black color. I left it on for 12 hours+ numerous times with all sorts of windows opened across the screen, and it never burnt-in permanently, nor the screen ever became dim, the screen is painfully bright til this day. I run it at OLED LIGHT set to 19, because setting the brightness above that it starts burning through my eyes and gives image retention. 😁
I had a panel replacement once (not because of burn-in), but that was probably because I abused the Pixel Refresher Procedure. Run it weekly if not daily, manually, for years.
So, if you consider this monitor - by all means it is worth it. Once you seein a video game someone light up a lighter in a dark space you know why you have the OLED.

Also I feel the must to update my initial impressions from the previous page, especially concerning the input lag.
The default setting of the Prevent Input Delay setting is set to Standard. This is a mistake. Once you change it to Boost:
View attachment 484728
The OLED turns itself into real gaming monitor. The input lag get reduced to the level of a fast gaming TN. Almost. It feels almost as responsive as the Predator X38 (reference gaming monitor for me), and it gives you this addictive low input lag, that allows you fly through the Battlefield maps and frag people left and right and makes you feel good providing you the digital fps experience that you are looking for, with immediate reactions to your inputs somehow making this process pleasantly addictive. It is not full scale as by Predator X38, but it is there. Unlike when the Option is set to Standard, which makes the screen just moderately responsive enough for more or less fun gaming, but it doesn't give you this addictive feel of instant reaction. With Boost, it has approximately 80-85% of the Predator X38 input lag.
Another thing about the Boost input lag option, is that not only does it reduce input lag, but also somehow reduces the image blur in motion. I don't know how it works it's not supposed to reduce the the blur of the moving objects displayed on the screen, and it's got to be a placebo, but I am absolutely sure that it also makes the moving image clearer with no negatives in IQ. Very surprising. So, set this option to Boost to get all that this gaming OLED can give you.
All in all, this is THE ultimate gaming display of 2022. And most likely for many years to come.

Oh, almost forgot - it has NO BANDING. My old OLED C7 from 2017 has banding all over, once a dark tone is displayed, Skyrim is notorious for this. I am not used to seeing Skyrim without banding. The OLED 42C2, though, is crystal clear. No banding, no dark spots - just pure image displayed in motion. The C7 had banding across the whole screen, Predator X38(P and S) had dark spots, or dark dirty clouding, in the center and on top of the screen, OLED 42C2 - pure imagery with no artifacts. You see what is displayed in crystal clear manner and nothing else. Beautiful.

I find it odd and amusing that you say it's "almost as responsive" as a fast TN panel. Uh, OLED should have LESS input lag than any TN panel. What the fuck is going on? OLED seems to be absurdly underperforming given what it's supposedly capable of. Aren't OLED panels supposed to be WAY faster than any TN/IPS/VA panel?

I find it odd and amusing that you say it's "almost as responsive" as a fast TN panel. Uh, OLED should have LESS input lag than any TN panel. What the fuck is going on? OLED seems to be absurdly underperforming given what it's supposedly capable of. Aren't OLED panels supposed to be WAY faster than any TN/IPS/VA panel?
Yeah, it is related to the processing lag I suppose, or sample and hold tech, I don't know. Someone tech savvy might chime in and explain in details this shit.
Meanwhile the HDR image quality is impeccable:

IMG_20220624_054827.jpg

This 2.3Mb jpeg dont do it justice of course, but it looks real life. Whats funny is that the sky in the game at the moment of taking that picture was exactly the same luminance as outside with almost exactly the same blue tone. Insane, really, HDR does reproduces real life luminance and the OLED with its individual pixel coloring is ideal for that. Eye candy.

What? You might be confusing pixel response/transition time with input lag. Both of which the LG excels at for most people. TN panels are garbage and no one outside of (maybe?) professional gamers should be using them in 2022. OLED response time definitely doesn’t “absurdly underperform”; gaming on it feels smooth and crisp and should more than satisfy anyone who isn’t getting paid to play, and even then... IMO.

This thread is weird.

Back