42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Yeah, what desk is that?
Here are My specs not cheap but quality is exceptional. The specs are
Solid Wood Desktop - Acacia - 72" x 30" (with grommets) by UPLIFT Desk

www.etsy.com TheLegShoppe Industrial Desk / Table Legs - Adjustable Leveling Feet - Metal Table Legs
Industrial Desk / Table Legs - Adjustable Leveling Feet - Metal Table Legs Height: 27 Inches Width:27 Inches

Comparing AW3423DW vs 42" C2 right now. Differences in color on camera are nothing like how it looks in person so disregard.

AW vs C2.jpg

Comparing AW3423DW vs 42" C2 right now. Differences in color on camera are nothing like how it looks in person so disregard.

View attachment 473459
Well except one has clear screen and another a antiglare , one is built for gaming and the other has problems with text cuase of pixel design and last but not least one is formated for most screen configuration and one is not.

My friend and I are actually considering trading. He take my AW and I take his C2. I'm having trouble dealing with the softness of the AW and he's having issues with the size of the 42" but coming from a 48" it's amazing and feels just right.

In terms of HDR performance the HDR1000 mode of the AW is worthless and only worth using in absolute best case scenario like Ori or super super dark games and at times in mixed lower APL scenarios. It otherwise looks significantly dimmer than the C2 90% of the time to me. You have to use HDR400 mode for the AW to look noticeably brighter and completely walks away but then it loses all impact with highlights. I also think the C2 is way better calibrated out the box in HDR.

AW wins in color saturation and 175hz is a big improvement but the former really requires both being side by side to know in absolute confidence + it's not always present in every game/movie.

There are times the AW looks amazing and it sways me and then there are other times where the ABL of HDR1000 mode kills it where as the C2 looks "decent" all the time.

I still can't decide.

My friend and I are actually considering trading. He take my AW and I take his C2. I'm having trouble dealing with the softness of the AW and he's having issues with the size of the 42" but coming from a 48" it's amazing and feels just right.

In terms of HDR performance the HDR1000 mode of the AW is worthless and only worth using in absolute best case scenario like Ori or super super dark games and at times in mixed lower APL scenarios. It otherwise looks significantly dimmer than the C2 90% of the time to me. You have to use HDR400 mode for the AW to look noticeably brighter but then it loses all impact with highlights. I also think the C2 is way better calibrated out the box in HDR.

AW wins in color saturation and 175hz is a big improvement but the former really requires both being side by side to know in absolute confidence + it's not always present in every game/movie.

There are times the AW looks amazing and it sways me and then there are other times where the ABL of HDR1000 mode kills it where as the C2 looks "decent" all the time.

I still can't decide.
well yes and no , you are right with stock config. with some dialing in the LG will kill the aw in saturation not only this one but 3 to4 gen before this the c2 has made slight advances. 175hz was amazing in lcd days to reduce blur and response time. but oled response time is close to zero and 120hrz feels or is better than higher refreshes because of pixel response oled has. best keep in mind oled breaks all the rules lcd had. 100%

In terms of HDR performance the HDR1000 mode of the AW is worthless and only worth using in absolute best case scenario like Ori or super super dark games and at times in mixed lower APL scenarios. It otherwise looks significantly dimmer than the C2 90% of the time to me. You have to use HDR400 mode for the AW to look noticeably brighter and completely walks away but then it loses all impact with highlights. I also think the C2 is way better calibrated out the box in HDR.

I still can't decide.

Seems like the Samsung S95B is the only option to get a display that is superior in every way to the LG C2 (minus the out of wack EOTF), but too bad it only comes in 55 and 65 inch for now. I'm just holding out for the 49 inch that is suppose to come out next year.

1652495897083.png

I personally would never in a million years touch a display that tracks EOTF like that. That's not just "looks brighter" it's like super over brightened. The only hope is that Sony moves from WOLED to QD-OLED so we get one that's accurate.

I gotta say never expected that 48 to 42 would be that big a deal but it's such a massive difference when its in front of you. It's seriously an amazing size.

Right now I'm leaning 60-70% toward the C2 over the AW, it's just so much more versatile and the sharpness of 4K is worlds apart from 1440p. I can't find my service remote to check if his panel is WBE or WBC (if it differs from HDTVtests panel code) and both of us aren't certain whether we are seeing blue or pink tint (looks like both TBH). He's going to leave it with me over the weekend to decide while I look for that damn remote.

Last edited:
Seems like the Samsung S95B is the only option to get a display that is superior in every way to the LG C2 (minus the out of wack EOTF), but too bad it only comes in 55 and 65 inch for now. I'm just holding out for the 49 inch that is suppose to come out next ye

Seems like the Samsung S95B is the only option to get a display that is superior in every way to the LG C2 (minus the out of wack EOTF), but too bad it only comes in 55 and 65 inch for now. I'm just holding out for the 49 inch that is suppose to come out next year.

View attachment 473468
its a contender you are correct but not the leader in oled like lg is show more graphs. LG at this point is the leader in oled

I personally would never in a million years touch a display that tracks EOTF like that. That's not just "looks brighter" it's like super over brightened. The only hope is that Sony moves from WOLED to QD-OLED so we get one that's accurate.

I gotta say never expected that 48 to 42 would be that big a deal but it's such a massive difference when its in front of you. It's seriously an amazing size.

Right now I'm leaning 60-70% toward the C2 over the AW, it's just so much more versatile and the sharpness of 4K is worlds apart from 1440p. I can't find my service remote to check if his panel is WBE or WBC (if it differs from HDTVtests panel code) and both of us aren't certain whether we are seeing blue or pink tint (looks like both TBH). He's going to leave it with me over the weekend to decide while I look for that damn remote.
doesn't matter what panel you get , the magic is in the processing

Right now I'm leaning 60-70% toward the C2 over the AW, it's just so much more versatile and the sharpness of 4K is worlds apart from 1440p.

I think I am inclined to agree.

The problem is I really really REALLY will miss ultrawide for gaming. Everytime I fire up Elden ring (as an example) and I see the 16:9 black bars get removed by the 21:9 mod I think to myself how can anyone not acknowledge how much better 21:9 looks. Its not even close. I am really dreading going back to 16:9. And yes the C2 has those ultrawide modes, but if im playing in those modes all the time a) shouldnt I have just bought an ultrawide b) that cant be good for the overall pixel health of the TV.

And then the productivity benefits of 3840 x 2160 also enter the debate. Its so hard.

I think I am inclined to agree.

The problem is I really really REALLY will miss ultrawide for gaming. Everytime I fire up Elden ring (as an example) and I see the 16:9 black bars get removed by the 21:9 mod I think to myself how can anyone not acknowledge how much better 21:9 looks. Its not even close. I am really dreading going back to 16:9. And yes the C2 has those ultrawide modes, but if im playing in those modes all the time a) shouldnt I have just bought an ultrawide b) that cant be good for the overall pixel health of the TV.

And then the productivity benefits of 3840 x 2160 also enter the debate. Its so hard.
that's well said , but as thiis screen can why not just play native

Yeah I would say the S95 is a bust until they fix that shit firmware. They’re fucking with the gamma to exaggerate the contrast advantages of OLED. As if they needed to. I’d rather have the disadvantages of LG’s “inferior” tech if it means an accurate picture. I’m guessing that Sony’s implementation will be the one to get. Samsung - what the fuck.

Yeah I would say the S95 is a bust until they fix that shit firmware. They’re fucking with the gamma to exaggerate the contrast advantages of OLED. As if they needed to. I’d rather have the disadvantages of LG’s “inferior” tech if it means an accurate picture. I’m guessing that Sony’s implementation will be the one to get. Samsung - what the fuck.

and,you don't have to deal with the shittiest /buggiest apps+ interface in the business, Tizen!

and,you don't have to deal with the shittiest /buggiest apps+ interface in the business, Tizen!
It's funny. I have one of their older "dumb" plasma TV's. And it absolutely doesn't pull this kind of trickery off. Oh well, whatever. I'm pretty settled on if I get an OLED then C1 is the one I want and not C2.

Hmmm, so when they said May 2022 release for this bad boy, did they mean 11:59 PM on the 31st? 🧐
🥺

Edit: And yes, I realize some in US are finding it apparently, but I'm talking Best Buy and Amazon.

So I'm not the only one who thinks this is brighter and sharper looking even when set to the same res as the AW3423DW. The softness of the AW is not just a 1440p thing, it just looks soft due to the pixel layout to me.

So I'm not the only one who thinks this is brighter and sharper looking even when set to the same res as the AW3423DW. The softness of the AW is not just a 1440p thing, it just looks soft due to the pixel layout to me.

it looks softer and also doesn't have the same contrast levels

Finally received mine yesterday, made a reddit called LG C2 42 vs Acer Predator XB271HU.

so final opinion of LG C2 42 vs my old Acer Predator XB271HU.

1.Glossy screen clarity is brilliant.
2.Contrast is stunning
3. Response time is better even though 120mhz vs 166 mhz of the XB271HU this screen runs way smoother ! ! !
4.Game mode
5.Gsync and freesync
6.Larger real-estate 44% more
7.pixel pitch of 108 vs 104 say tie in this department
8.Plex
9.Gaming is unreal at nighttime

10.Smart tv that show my lg washer and dryer finish clothes while im gaming
View attachment 473400

View attachment 473401

This is very similar to my desk. Mine is long and acacia wood as well, the difference between it's live edge and ranges from 37" to 39" in depth. Anyway, very nice setup, sir. I might have to post a pic when I get the 42 inch in.

This is very similar to my desk. Mine is long and acacia wood as well, the difference between it's live edge and ranges from 37" to 39" in depth. Anyway, very nice setup, sir. I might have to post a pic when I get the 42 inch in.
Thank you for the nice comment , Love the look of acacia wood. Love to see you desk once the new toy comes in im at 30 so i coul imagine 39 is very spacious.

After reading the reviews and various feedback on the forums I decided to cancel by Dell 34" oled order and get the LG 42" C2. A little concerned about the size, but I do have a deep desk so that should help. I used a 42" 4k LCD for my day to day work.

Because Russia. Which is extremely unpopular presently and may trigger things.
I think most people understand that the issue is not Russian people in general but the government and those who support their actions (whether due to malice or ignorance by believing government propaganda). At least that seems to be the general opinion here in Finland. We just aren't taking chances so we are joining NATO.

Best of luck to you, it's going to get rough going forward with increased sanctions and isolating Russia from the west.

Anyway getting back to displays, does anyone have plans to run the LG 42" together with some other display? I have really liked my CX 48" but moving to another city have decided to try to sell it, take the price hit and then figure out what I want next. I've loved it for gaming/media but have lamented having to use scaling for desktop use because of its sheer size and the viewing distance needed which means it's less ideal for e.g "play a video while you work" type setups as the scaling reduces desktop space just enough that the video or the other windows will end up a bit small for my liking. That's where a dual monitor would be better.

I'm trying to figure out if I want the 42" and try to pair that with some smaller 4K screen or something like that. My current setup is a weird Macbook Pro screen - left speaker (Genelec M040) - CX 48" on a floordstand - right speaker. I can't reasonably spread out the speakers more as stereo image gets weird but I am thinking maybe with the 42" on the edge of my 80 cm deep desk plus moving the speakers on separate stands a dual monitor setup could work.

I think most people understand that the issue is not Russian people in general but the government and those who support their actions (whether due to malice or ignorance by believing government propaganda). At least that seems to be the general opinion here in Finland. We just aren't taking chances so we are joining NATO.

Best of luck to you, it's going to get rough going forward with increased sanctions and isolating Russia from the west.

Anyway getting back to displays, does anyone have plans to run the LG 42" together with some other display? I have really liked my CX 48" but moving to another city have decided to try to sell it, take the price hit and then figure out what I want next. I've loved it for gaming/media but have lamented having to use scaling for desktop use because of its sheer size and the viewing distance needed which means it's less ideal for e.g "play a video while you work" type setups as the scaling reduces desktop space just enough that the video or the other windows will end up a bit small for my liking. That's where a dual monitor would be better.

I'm trying to figure out if I want the 42" and try to pair that with some smaller 4K screen or something like that. My current setup is a weird Macbook Pro screen - left speaker (Genelec M040) - CX 48" on a floordstand - right speaker. I can't reasonably spread out the speakers more as stereo image gets weird but I am thinking maybe with the 42" on the edge of my 80 cm deep desk plus moving the speakers on separate stands a dual monitor setup could work.
I hope things will normalize in a year or two. Well, at least monitors and computer related stuff isn't banned :woot: I mean, mostly it is, but it looks like it doesn't matter since the supply still goes, with the usual pricing. Hopefully the German cars will return soon, which is the biggest problem for me. My Finn bro ;) If I were Finland I'd probably join NATO too in the current state of affairs. Which is sad, because Finland used to be part of Russia, and I think ... you know... Ukraine will soon join the Russian Federation, the Osetiya, and then probably Belarus, why not Finland as well? We have rockets... And we are brothers, historically. If I am not mistaken, Murmansk is a sister town to Finland, last city settled by the Russian Empire. 👍
I want my C2 42, ffs. 10 more days...

I hope things will normalize in a year or two. Well, at least monitors and computer related stuff isn't banned :woot: I mean, mostly it is, but it looks like it doesn't matter since the supply still goes, with the usual pricing. Hopefully the German cars will return soon, which is the biggest problem for me. My Finn bro ;) If I were Finland I'd probably join NATO too in the current state of affairs. Which is sad, because Finland used to be part of Russia, and I think ... you know... Ukraine will soon join the Russian Federation, the Osetiya, and then probably Belarus, why not Finland as well? We have rockets... And we are brothers, historically. If I am not mistaken, Murmansk is a sister town to Finland, last city settled by the Russian Empire. 👍
I want my C2 42, ffs. 10 more days...
Finland has been part of Sweden as well as Russia. As an independent country we have tried to remain neutral and keep good relations to both directions but that's no longer possible for Russia so here we are. Our preferred state would be good relations to both except during ice hockey season. Finland will never join Russia (or Sweden for that matter) again and I don't think Ukraine will either.

I can't remember, did you have any of the other LG OLEDs before or have you been waiting for the smaller ones?

Finland has been part of Sweden as well as Russia. As an independent country we have tried to remain neutral and keep good relations to both directions but that's no longer possible for Russia so here we are. Our preferred state would be good relations to both except during ice hockey season. Finland will never join Russia (or Sweden for that matter) again and I don't think Ukraine will either.
👍

I can't remember, did you have any of the other LG OLEDs before or have you been waiting for the smaller ones?
I still have the C7:

800er.png

I like your build! I use that same shield with a Cross-Naginata. Block and poke!

I have a C9 65" and CX 48" and can't really tell much of a difference between them. I suppose that's both good and bad as not much progress between the models. C2 seems to mostly just have a slightly tweaked UI plus the smaller size.

So the only way I've found to make like for like comparisons between the AW3423DW and C2 since duplicating with HDR enabled doesn't work is to just run 2 instances of a game. FF7 Remake is a really good game for testing highlights since all of those lights are demanding 1000 nits. In this game it's a big win for the AW, the highlights look significantly brighter than the C2. The C2 bridges the gap by enabling HGIG which lifts the brightness of all those lights and only the lights magically but I dunno if that's a fair comparison. Without HGIG, those highlights look comparatively dull but even with HGIG, those highlights are still not as impactful and bright as the AW (but the difference is minor). This is pretty much best case scenario for the AW but also may not be a fair comparison since less ABL is in play (I'm running it @ 16:9 instead of 21:9).

I think if I bothered with the UW fix they would again be basically evenly matched or so close that the difference doesn't matter which is basically the case in 90% of games when using HDR1000 mode.

I've got just today to decide which to stick with. The 3 year warranty of the Dell and potential resale value since I don't keep displays very long is super enticing. It's also had a psychological effect in that I am using and abusing it like a regular LCD knowing I have the warranty to save me.

EDIT: Also I thought I'd never say it but after getting use to 21:9 in games, switching to 16:9 on the LG feels really cramped. I also feel that for the first time the gentle curve of the AW is a huge benefit because running the same sized no scaling 3440x1440 games on the LG is not as nice a experience with it being flat.

ff7.jpg

Last edited:
I like your build! I use that same shield with a Cross-Naginata. Block and poke!

I have a C9 65" and CX 48" and can't really tell much of a difference between them. I suppose that's both good and bad as not much progress between the models. C2 seems to mostly just have a slightly tweaked UI plus the smaller size.
In conjunction with the Blessed Dew Talisman, that shield gives real world health regen in Elden Ring. 😀

EDIT: Also I thought I'd never say it but after getting use to 21:9 in games, switching to 16:9 on the LG feels really cramped.
Definitely, it does.

Quick question for anyone who has a C2 in the same room as a C1 or CX. Does remote crosstalk turn on both TVs at the same.

Quick question for anyone who has a C2 in the same room as a C1 or CX. Does remote crosstalk turn on both TVs at the same.
I don't but I am pretty sure it will.
I have a B7, CX, and GX. The power buttons on the remotes will turn them all on or off. All the other buttons seem to be paired with the specific TV they come with though.

I used a ColorChecker Display Plus and measured some highlights in FF7R. I would equate these to 5% & 10% but in a actual game scene with multiple highlights present so ABL has influence.

C2:

-Medium = 290 nits
-Small = 550 nits

AW3423DW (HDR1000):

-Medium = 200nits
-Small = 680nits

The AW uses it's entire ABL budget for smaller stuff while anything under like 20% the C2 pushes ahead. The more stuff demanding 1000nits on screen at once the brighter the C2 was able to keep them all as a whole while the AW seemed to really blast whatever is most prominent. The AW in HDR400 mode I could not get to measure higher than 390nits or so on any highlight.

I've decided that if I keep one over the other, I'll have some form of remorse so just placed an order for the C2 and convinced my friend to keep this C2 he lent me. I'll just use both. AW primarily for PC gaming and desktop use and the LG for movies/PS5 and whatever PC game I feel suits it better.

Seems Philips is also joining the 42" game:

Unfortunately based on that video there is absolutely no good reason to buy their 42" model over LG. You don't get any extra features, the heatsink does not seem to be on the 42/48" models and there is no Displayport.

Well, now that I bought the close-enough-to-holy-grail-4k-TV (LG C2 42) , the only logical next question is: What year do you all predict bandwidth will be good enough and content will be plentiful enough that 8k displays will be an attractive proposition? 2027? 2030?

I dont have in same room but i have 3 cx one in each room across from each other and haven't had a issue but i could check tonight

I think it's been determined that if your C2 service menu shows 00/00/1/03 under module info like Vincents from HDTVTest, it's a WBC panel.

08/00/1/03 seems to be WBE that some in North America have received and matches what's found on the 48"+ WBE C2's.

Back