42" OLED MASTER THREAD

I don't think I'm going to buy. There's no tangible benefit or progress for CX/C1 owners other than like 13% higher pixel density.

Most of us with 48" already accommodate the size and distance it appropriately with our setups so I dunno how valuable the size difference would be.

This is definitely for people who skipped the 48 past couple years IMO. I want a real next generation OLED with more color/refresh rate and the VRR issues gone.
I skipped in hopes of a 42", but I still feel like it's probably too big for me for productivity (gaming would probably be fine). Shame because I'd love to be on oled already! They'll probably get me to buy an 83" LG OLED TV at some point though for my living room ;).

I'll hold out for a 32" oled probably at this point and may grab an m32u to hold me over (4k 144hz 32" ips @ $600 now).

I'm hoping this has Motion Smoothing added in Standard mode. I prefer smoothing in certain games such as HZW at 60 fps with my PS5 in resolution mode. Samsung does away with smoothing on all 42 inch and smaller TVs. My CX48 handles motion smoothing pretty well.

Last edited:
All these damn alienware QD guys got me reconsidering this wonderful screen...

It would/will be sooooo hard to go back to 16:9... everytime i play Elden Ring without the widescreen fix its just hammered home how much better 21:9 looks than 16:9... i mean you can run this in a 21:9 mode but uneven pixel wear ugh

I'm hoping this has Motion Smoothing added in Standard mode. I prefer smoothing in certain games such as HZW at 60 fps with my PS5 in resolution mode. Samsung does away with smoothing on all 42 inch and smaller TVs. My CX48 handles motion smoothing pretty well.
This is the larger variant though I assume the 42" would be similar? Linked below pertaining to gaming portion the next part in gaming starts at about 6:30

It would/will be sooooo hard to go back to 16:9... everytime i play Elden Ring without the widescreen fix its just hammered home how much better 21:9 looks than 16:9... i mean you can run this in a 21:9 mode but uneven pixel wear ugh
I just can't deal with the curve, even if I did happen to prefer 21:9. Makes it useless for just about any non gaming computer use for me.

Yeah see I want to go back to 16:9, Ive been using a 21:9 x34 for the last 6 years. I miss seeing the sky and ground.

A good summary for the 42er OLED from Avsforum:

“The 42C2 (as well a any 42” WOLED) was going to be its own mini shtshow this year and forever for reasons more substantial (and lasting) than WBE versus WBC and/or optimized subpixel design.

The PAR of 42” WOLED subpixels is only going to be 42% of the PAR 65” WOLED subpixels, and that means the only way a 42C1 is going to be able to deliver the same brightness of a 65C2 is if LGE:

-gimps 65C2 performance down to 42% of what it could have been (this is the strategy LGE has been pursuing with WOLED up to now).

-allows the 42C2 to age-burn-in 2.4 tim s faster than the 65C2 (unlikely to achieve spec’d lifetime of 10,000 hours).

So anyone buying a 42C2 is likely to get far inferior performance to those buying a 65C2 independently of whether they got a WBE panel or a WBC panel…

Yeah seems like the lack of 120 Hz BFI and the blue shift visible in desktop use are the only real problems. Personally I never notice color shift on my CX 48" but I know it is not totally uniform as you move to the sides.

Im totally happy with the gaming on my two 65 inch CX , enough to convince me to preorder on new egg the 42" 4k evo

Anyone know if newegg has a burn in warranty or any thing similar? Also, how well do returns work on TVs having to ship back to Newegg? I was considering Amazon, Newegg or Best Buy, but Best Buy I'm most comfortable with as you can return them to a physical store without worrying about shipping. Unless the ship back is hastle free.

Anyone know if newegg has a burn in warranty or any thing similar? Also, how well do returns work on TVs having to ship back to Newegg? I was considering Amazon, Newegg or Best Buy, but Best Buy I'm most comfortable with as you can return them to a physical store without worrying about shipping. Unless the ship back is hastle free.
No, no burn in warranty anywhere by default. They don't sell one either. Best buy's addon warranty does cover it however.

I bought a 2 year warranty for my CX that covers burn-in, through Best Buy. After owning the display for 2 years I will have no need to use it. I'm careful and keep all my static windows on a separate monitor, and there is no hint of burn-in. I will be confident in the future buying an OLED display without specific burn-in coverage. If you insist on it, go for a 5 year plan.

I bought a 2 year warranty for my CX that covers burn-in, through Best Buy. After owning the display for 2 years I will have no need to use it. I'm careful and keep all my static windows on a separate monitor, and there is no hint of burn-in. I will be confident in the future buying an OLED display without specific burn-in coverage. If you insist on it, go for a 5 year plan.

Thanks, I think I will go with Best Buy for the piece of mine and return ease as I do a lot of static stuff. I plan on taking precautions. Only downside is it looks like they're the last to have anything about the 42 up on their page (Amazon is at least showing it as a future option, unavailable), so I'll have to be patient.

According to Twitter, TFTCentral has received a LG C2 42" for review so we should be seeing how it performs soon.

The pricing for the LG C2 42" here in Finland seems to be the same as my CX 48" was, about 1400 euros on release.

Meanwhile, seems LG is considering making not only smaller OLEDs but also true RGB models: https://t.co/y3ldCXsA0u

Looking at Offer Up I'm seeing a whole lot of 48 CX's going for about 3 to 4 hundred dollars. Not a good sign for me trying to offload mine to offset the price on a 42".

Looking at Offer Up I'm seeing a whole lot of 48 CX's going for about 3 to 4 hundred dollars. Not a good sign for me trying to offload mine to offset the price on a 42".
That's always been that industry cuase most people unfortunately just understand size and say hey I can get a 48 inch for $200 why this guy think selling for more. High end tvs are a niche product most people don't understand. Trust me I have 3 oled cx 65 inch calabrated by one of the best guys in the industry. End cost each probably 3200 a piece when I bought with calibration. When I sale in two years be lucky if I get 500 a piece local

That's always been that industry cuase most people unfortunately just understand size and say hey I can get a 48 inch for $200 why this guy think selling for more. High end tvs are a niche product most people don't understand. Trust me I have 3 oled cx 65 inch calabrated by one of the best guys in the industry. End cost each probably 3200 a piece when I bought with calibration. When I sale in two years be lucky if I get 500 a piece local
Not to mention TVs are often kinda large so someone needs to come pick it up and maybe you don't have the box saved to easily move it etc. I'm moving to a different city in a few months and wonder how the hell I'm going to get my C9 65" and CX 48" transported safely or if it's better to just try to sell them and buy brand new models. Had to ditch the boxes after my storage locker section had a pipe burst and flood it.

Not to mention TVs are often kinda large so someone needs to come pick it up and maybe you don't have the box saved to easily move it etc. I'm moving to a different city in a few months and wonder how the hell I'm going to get my C9 65" and CX 48" transported safely or if it's better to just try to sell them and buy brand new models. Had to ditch the boxes after my storage locker section had a pipe burst and flood it.
They'll be fine sandwiched between a couple of blankets. Don't worry too much about it, you have enough stress because of the move.

I'm one of those who thinks the 700'ish nits of current OLED displays is plenty bright enough. I sometimes get annoyed by my PG27UQ these days with how bright it can get, especially when a white screen pops up.
I use a Q9FN TV and 49CRG9 UW monitor.
Thats approaching 2000nits and 1000nits, both give decent HDR performance.
I wish for more even though its great!

But there are movies and displays that blind you with HDR, they should not set an example of how the technology can perform.
Only elements of the frame should show highlights at this level.

For example, my Q9FN display can show 1000nit HDR at native 2000nit level making it look far too strong.
This isnt always bad but it can be.
At least I have the option to reduce its output to suit I suppose.

Its a technology in its infancy still, strong enough controls are not in place to make sure it performs well enough.
And capable displays are not common enough.

I sold my 48" CX with original box for $700 like 5 months ago so $500 today makes sense. At that price it wouldn't even be worth getting rid of to me since it's basically equivalent to a 48" C2 in image quality but 1/3 the price which your average consumer will never understand.

I'd throw it up in some room or figure out some way to utilize it until the wheels fall off.

You trolls and neckbeards are hard to please. First 40+ inches is too big, now it's too small.
Firstly, I'm not everyone. Rudely pushing your perception issues on me makes you the troll.

Without feedback, mfrs wont know which direction to move in next.
I didnt ball ache, just said I would like larger.
If enough people say the same they may make a larger model.

Objecting to basic communication that forums are used for is ridiculous.

If enough people say the same they may make a larger model.

What exactly are you talking about? There are larger models, quite a few in fact. 48“,55“,77“,83“,97“ What point does it make to go on a forum for a certain size and criticize the size? Should I go on the larger display forum and talk about how the 97" model is "too big". You make no sense.

What exactly are you talking about? There are larger models, quite a few in fact. 48“,55“,77“,83“,97“ What point does it make to go on a forum for a certain size and criticize the size? Should I go on the larger display forum and talk about how the 97" model is "too big". You make no sense.
For example:
Displays with High Hz, less prone to burn in ...
Properties desirable for OLED PC users.

Do what you like lol.

Any thoughts on waiting for the ASUS model of these things? I would love to have that Displayport option because MacOS does not support HDMI 2.1 in any way so 4K 60 Hz is max. I work on MacOS on workdays so it's kinda annoying to have that limitation.

Meanwhile the ASUS will have antiglare coating which I have found largely unnecessary. The reflections on my CX don't bother me. I also have low confidence in ASUS fixing things while LG has proven themselves with their past products.

I've been thinking of 42" + 24-27" 4K side monitor for extra desktop space but might end up doing a separate work and gaming setup instead as I really like my Samsung CRG9 for desktop use but wish it was higher res.

I actually think Asus is pretty competent and trust they will do the PG42UQ right. The fact that they're going out of their way to heatsink the entire rear of the panel for longevity sake and hitting 900nits demonstrates this.

I'm personally done with the TV thing and if I were buying would opt for the Asus. Turning a TV on/off 5000x has gotten really old across my CX/C1 and the github apps for control can be random/unreliable.

I would wait until the product page goes live so you can read the manual to see how they handle the pixel refresh cycles. I'm sure it won't be as obnoxious or intrusive as the Gigabyte OLED but you never know. The other issue is price since I'm sure they will price it well north of a C2 which at this point in WOLED product life I'm not sure is worth it.

I actually think Asus is pretty competent and trust they will do the PG42UQ right. The fact that they're going out of their way to heatsink the entire rear of the panel for longevity sake and hitting 900nits demonstrates this.

I'm personally done with the TV thing and if I were buying would opt for the Asus. Turning a TV on/off 5000x has gotten really old across my CX/C1 and the github apps for control can be random/unreliable.

I would wait until the product page goes live so you can read the manual to see how they handle the pixel refresh cycles. I'm sure it won't be as obnoxious or intrusive as the Gigabyte OLED but you never know. The other issue is price since I'm sure they will price it well north of a C2 which at this point in WOLED product life I'm not sure is worth it.
For me turning off the TV from the remote is so second nature I don't think about it anymore. I don't miss the flaky on/off that some LCDs can have, with the TV it is at least guaranteed to turn on and off at the right time rather than when it pleases.

I'm also kinda hoping the ASUS supports a proper PbP mode as that would be nice considering LG C2 will have a very shitty version of that where instead of 1920x2160 or 3840x1080 split is not possible but you instead get uselessly small scaled 3840x2160 x2 at the center of the screen, probably with some ludicrous input limits too. Another plus could be the lack of "Instant game response launched" notifications.

Agreed about the product page, manual and possible pricing.

My thoughts on the Asus:
Matter coating on an OLED is just a very very bad idea…
I'll certainly keep an eye on the asus (since i wont be buying until the fall anyways), but between the matte coating and hideous (imo) design language, not to mention the likely price premium, im not optimistic....

I think my play is going to be purchasing the 42" C2, living with its shortcomings, and hopefully in a few years there will be better/more OLED options for the desktop (38" ultra-wide QD-OLED plssssss!), at which point I will revert the C2 to being just a TV somewhere else in the house.

Back