42" OLED MASTER THREAD

BFI sounds like a recipe for eye strain in a dark room where every single second frame is off. That’s like a strobe light to some peoples eyeballs. I am sensitive to PWM issues and while I haven’t seen the implementation on OLEDs, as a computer monitor in a dark room that doesn’t sound like something I want at all.

Yea that and lack of VRR make me never use BFI in practice on my CX. But like the guy above said it's optional and more options is always good as long as they are of use to some.

The 120Hz BFI worked perfectly fine as far as I could tell on my CX. Very confusing why LG decided to remove a feature that was never broken. 120Hz BFI was one of the upgrades the CX/C1 got over the C9 and now we just took a step backwards.

The 120Hz BFI worked perfectly fine as far as I could tell on my CX. Very confusing why LG decided to remove a feature that was never broken. 120Hz BFI was one of the upgrades the CX/C1 got over the C9 and now we just took a step backwards.
4.2 ms persistence at only 120hz. 60hz too for the CX people. Other than it being dim for 60hz, what’s not to like? It’s the closest to CRT motion we’ve gotten on a large display.

Strange it isn't the new panels...I can't imagine they will change the panels later - since there weren't 42" panels last gen...what's that about?
Do you think this is a pass?
Or is it simply good enough if it basically just replicates the previous 48" LG OLED that so many people are quite happy with as a monitor.

I wanted an OLED, but 48" was too big for me to consider. I already pre-ordered one of these 42, and probably will take possession of it next month, unless I cancel.

I am not really worried about the old panel, people were happy with their CX and C1, I would have gotten them if a 42 was available.

I am not really worried about the old panel, people were happy with their CX and C1, I would have gotten them if a 42 was available.
That’s kind of what I’m thinking too — but then —— the older stuff is on good sales now and if it’s the same tech we are really overpaying at the 42” $1400 price. There are 48 and 55” C1 for $1K ish now on sale. You’d expect newer tech for the extra lay down, Not just smaller size and same old tech for more?!

Last edited:
I dunno why there is such an uproar about it using a WBC panel other than the false advertising aspect since it says EVO right on the box. Someone please tell me what real world tangible benefits there are to a WBE panel other than LG marketing jargon. It's in the same brightness ballpark as the 48" and looks identical PQ wise.

Like the 48" C1, they'll likely transition to WBE later this year so if you're desperate it's probably better to wait until Q3 to see.

I dunno why there is such an uproar about it using a WBC panel other than the false advertising aspect since it says EVO right on the box. Someone please tell me what real world tangible benefits there are to a WBE panel other than LG marketing jargon. It's in the same brightness ballpark as the 48" and looks identical PQ wise.

Like the 48" C1, they'll likely transition to WBE later this year so if you're desperate it's probably better to wait until Q3 to see.
Because that’s not right

What if I bought an Alienware QD OLED monitor at launch and it shipped with a last gen IPS panel and that was deemed okay because they were going to ship later with the QD OLED panels.

What kind of nonsense is that?

That’s kind of what I’m thinking too — but then —— the older stuff is on good sales now and if it’s the same tech we are really overpaying at the 42” $1400 price. There are 48 and 55” C1 for $1K ish now on sale. You’d expect newer tech for the extra lay down, Not just smaller size and same old tech for more?!

So, you can wait for a Clearance Sale next year like the rest of us?

Because that’s not right

What if I bought an Alienware QD OLED monitor at launch and it shipped with a last gen IPS panel and that was deemed okay because they were going to ship later with the QD OLED panels.

What kind of nonsense is that?

I don't think that's quite the same...Both of the C2 panels are still OLED while you are comparing an IPS to QD-OLED, not even the same panel tech. What exactly is the difference between WBC and WBE anyways? I've owed a CX since June 2020 and this is the first time I've even heard of this lol.

EDIT: Seems like WBE = EVO panel? I thought EVO panel is no longer a thing and it's now EX panel. Also remember, you are NOT getting additional brightness on an EVO panel on a C series OLED, LG instead opts to use the EVO tech to improve lifespan. It's the G series that gets more brightness.

I don't think that's quite the same...Both of the C2 panels are still OLED while you are comparing an IPS to QD-OLED, not even the same panel tech. What exactly is the difference between WBC and WBE anyways? I've owed a CX since June 2020 and this is the first time I've even heard of this lol.

EDIT: Seems like WBE = EVO panel? I thought EVO panel is no longer a thing and it's now EX panel. Also remember, you are NOT getting additional brightness on an EVO panel on a C series OLED, LG instead opts to use the EVO tech to improve lifespan. It's the G series that gets more brightness.
Yeah WBE = Evo panel like it says right on the box and what most 55+ C1's and late 48" C1's use.

The "EX" is new for 2022 and exclusive to 55+ G2 sizes. They are heatsinked and capable of 20-30% more brightness.

This is a good point to keep in mind.

This is anecdotal/personal, but my 48” CX I use as a monitor is more than bright enough for my medium-lit space. The only reason I’d want a g-series panel is for my living room TV which is a brightly lit space.

I have been using the cx for 2 yrs now and indeed bright enough for gaming, and for work you’d dim it down significantly at 90cm distance. I’m selling it - and the 42 inch will come next week. Better size:)

If only they’d launch a crg9 like bend 49” oled… instabuy. I moved from the crg 9 to the oled, picture massively better but less immersize cause of the different aspect ratio. And 5140x1440 is ideal as workspace.

I'm not sure how accurate techradar is but they have release dates I pasted below. Supposedly May for the 42 inch, I'm assuming in US.

Price and release date​

The LG C2 OLED is part of LG’s 2022 TV lineup with most models in the line-up coming out in March 2022 and a few sizes coming a bit later. To start off, we’ll see the 48-, 55-, 65- and 77-inch models releasing in March, then the 83-inch model in April and finally the long-awaited 42-inch screen size in May.

Has LG said anything about BFI removal? Like any explanation or hope that it could be re-enabled? (If you're running 120 Hz that is ignored or such?)

EDIT: Watched HDTVTest video, where he found switch could still be enabled at 120Hz, but to no discernable effect.

Last edited:
„In response, LG Electronics explained that it is true that WBC and WBE are mixed in the 42-inch OLED TV EVO, and that it is an unavoidable situation depending on LG Display's panel supply situation. WBE panels will be applied sequentially after 2Q.“

https://m-kbench-com.translate.goog/?q=node/231152&_x_tr_sl=ko&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=sc
Sounds like again it might be better to wait for next gen version of this model that might have more guaranteed WBE panels. While I am happy with how my CX 48" performs, higher brightness capabilities would be a nice upgrade.

At the very least LG could have released this under two different SKUs so you could tell which panel is which and then could make the choice based on availability and pricing. Panel lottery is no good.

Sounds like again it might be better to wait for next gen version of this model that might have more guaranteed WBE panels. While I am happy with how my CX 48" performs, higher brightness capabilities would be a nice upgrade.

At the very least LG could have released this under two different SKUs so you could tell which panel is which and then could make the choice based on availability and pricing. Panel lottery is no good.

According to HDTVtest , Evo panels in a C series OLED does NOT mean higher brightness. The brightness is the same as a non evo panel but it uses less energy so it should have a longer lifespan. Longevity is your evo panel advantage, not brightness level.

According to HDTVtest , Evo panels in a C series OLED does NOT mean higher brightness. The brightness is the same as a non evo panel but it uses less energy so it should have a longer lifespan. Longevity is your evo panel advantage, not brightness level.
AND potentially less possibility for burn-in.

Pretty high probability then that Asus will be using only Evo panels to hit that 900nit figure and might explain the radio silence about availability.

AND potentially less possibility for burn-in.

Yeah by longer lifespan I meant it would take longer to burn in vs a non Evo panel. Actual image quality should otherwise be identical between the two so unless you are planning to keep your OLED for a very very long time the EVO panel isn't going to offer you anything better. But still I can understand why people would rather wait for it than buy a non evo panel now.

HDTest First Look at LG OLED EX Brightness

Not exactly related since this is for panels to be used in larger TV sizes but I was wondering if Asus's 42"/48" version with a heatsink could get similar peak brightness performance. But alas, after looking at the announcement page on Asus's site, they only rate it as ~900 nits in a 3% window vs Vincent's measurements of 928 nits in a 10% window.

Asus ROG OLED Announcement Page

"The glossy surfaces of typical OLED TVs might increase their appeal in the showroom, but their reflective surfaces can cause distractions when they’re used as a desktop monitor. ROG Swift OLED monitors feature a Micro-texture coating that shows less glare than other options. This allows these displays to offer more accurate colors and less on-screen distraction in the heat of battle, creating a better viewing experience."

Lol, except a matte coating distorts the pixels and presents terrible image quality.

[QUOTE="Frameless, post: 1045316974,

Lol, except a matte coating distorts the pixels and presents terrible image quality.
[/QUOTE]

It's "The heat of battle!!!" Who cares how it looks /s

HDTest First Look at LG OLED EX Brightness

Not exactly related since this is for panels to be used in larger TV sizes but I was wondering if Asus's 42"/48" version with a heatsink could get similar peak brightness performance. But alas, after looking at the announcement page on Asus's site, they only rate it as ~900 nits in a 3% window vs Vincent's measurements of 928 nits in a 10% window.

Its a shame that the Asus uses an AG coating. No point in having an OLED when the blacks are turned to fuzzy grey.

It's showing on the LG Partner store now as well but with no delivery date, 48" is showing a week out for reference.

I don't think I'm going to buy. There's no tangible benefit or progress for CX/C1 owners other than like 13% higher pixel density.

Most of us with 48" already accommodate the size and distance it appropriately with our setups so I dunno how valuable the size difference would be.

This is definitely for people who skipped the 48 past couple years IMO. I want a real next generation OLED with more color/refresh rate and the VRR issues gone.

Back