42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Anyone else on here who already has the 48" who is going to buy the 42" to "upgrade"? Or is it just me? :)
I won’t be getting it. My space is too small for a large screen like that, and my plasma is what we use as our “beat on” TV. I’m mostly curious to see if they improve the BFI function on the C2 or not. If I replaced the plasma it would be with a 55 or 65 inch C2.

Edit… and if I’m really honest then if we replace the plasma I’ll probably do it with another plasma. I have five kids. Oldest is 7. While they’re well-behaved, anything is possible. I’d feel a lot better about losing a plasma I found on Craigslist than a new OLED. I doubt they’d stand up to a toy being launched into them.

Anyone else on here who already has the 48" who is going to buy the 42" to "upgrade"? Or is it just me? :)
I don’t think I will. In my next dwelling I will try to put the 48" a bit further away and arrange things to work with that, maybe add a smaller secondary 4K screen to pair with it.

Cool. The only reason I'm justifying it is I have another room where it'd be nice to have a smaller TV anyway, so I'll put the 48 inch there. I've made the 48 inch work on my deep desk, but it's still slightly overwhelming for mouse and keyboard gaming (sitting back another foot with a PS5 on is another matter).

Now it's just a matter on when we can buy the damn thing.

I've read that the specific Asus 42" Gaming OLED monitor will be very pricey, like $2,000 minimum and up. So F that. no thanks.

For me typical monitor budget that I've spent over the years, is the $1,000 to $1,200 range, no more.

So I might just go for the 42" size OLED TV, wont those be $1,000 or less? Because aren't the LG 48" OLED's selling right around a grand or so now?

https://www.techradar.com/news/forg...the-42-inch-lg-c2-is-the-true-mid-size-winner

Last edited:
So I might just go for the 42" size OLED TV, wont those be $1,000 or less? Because aren't the LG 48" OLED's selling right around a grand or so now?
But the „old“ 48C1 is already one year in the market, the 48C2 will be new. You know how market economy works I presume/hope?

Here is the price for the 48C2: (english pounds)
https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled48...875?intcmp=ic_20220201_lgc2tvpreorder_cp_ele_

So guess again the price for the 42er 😉
But it will be 1000$ and less eventually, like always. Give it time.

Last edited:
I've read that the specific Asus 42" Gaming OLED monitor will be very pricey, like $2,000 minimum and up. So F that. no thanks.

For me typical monitor budget that I've spent over the years, is the $1,000 to $1,200 range, no more.

https://www.techradar.com/news/forg...the-42-inch-lg-c2-is-the-true-mid-size-winner
Not sure where you live, but the 48 inch C1 OLED runs around $1,100 in the US, both on Amazon and Best Buy. Last year, I think I paid $1,200 for the CX. If I had to guess, I think the new 42 inch would start off around 1100-1200 and drop to 800-900 over time; either way, in your acceptability range.

TV prices arent static they rise and fall every year. New model year comes in at high price while outgoing model line is at discounted, "clear the channel" pricing.

Does anything have a release date yet? :)

+
I know prior years doesn't guarantee anything but CES 2020 was in January 2020, and my BestBuy receipt shows August 2020 for purchase of the LG 48 inch (I purchased right on release). So I hope we'd see this 42 before August, but who knows. It will be 2022 for sure though.

Hmm, Why not use the C1 as reference?
CES Januar 2021, 48C1 Release Date:
15 April 2021

Hmm, Why not use the C1 as reference?
CES Januar 2021, 48C1 Release Date:
15 April 2021
CX was in stock in stores around summer at least here in Finland. So that's the earliest I would expect to see them.

The ASUS etc models will most likely come later, maybe August or September.

I knew pricing would be high on those. Paid exact same for the 48C1 as the price of some gaming 32" IPS' available at that time (while the technology is infinitely better than those LCD's) and enjoying it since November with no care in the world.

Of course, at some point those new OLED's will drop in price, too, but I wanna live now not later.

How is 42" (not to mention 48 ") suddenly perfect for desktop use is beyond me... What happened to years of experience and research about ergonomics, human vision, angles etc?

Even 32" can be too big for desktop use.. People just accepted this as a trend and continue repeating that they can't wait for SMALL 42" version for desktop...

How is 42" (not to mention 48 ") suddenly perfect for desktop use is beyond me... What happened to years of experience and research about ergonomics, human vision, angles etc?

Even 32" can be too big for desktop use.. People just accepted this as a trend and continue repeating that they can't wait for SMALL 42" version for desktop...
Let's not have this stupid discussion again. Big screen, put it further away from you, then it's fine. Don't have the space? Get something smaller.

With OLEDs on the market you need to make compromises when all of them are large TVs. You get great image quality at the expense of larger size, possibility of burn in etc.

Let's not have this stupid discussion again. Big screen, put it further away from you, then it's fine. Don't have the space? Get something smaller.

With OLEDs on the market you need to make compromises when all of them are large TVs. You get great image quality at the expense of larger size, possibility of burn in etc.
Here here. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

I dont think anyone is claiming its perfect. Far from it (that would be a 38" ultrawide ;)). However for a larger number of desktop people it has at least crossed the line from a hard "No" in the case of the 48 inch model, to something just-on-this-side of "Tolerable"...

It is not perfect if you have no room real estate (small desktop table). To me the real advantage of a 48" is that I can use it at a much greater distance and still have a big monitor.

Gaming on my 48" feels like I'm gazing into the distance. Once I went back to the 32", gaming felt like my eyes strained, as if I had to look crossed eyed on it from a very close distance.
That is the reason I always wanted a larger than 32" monitor, because using it is at distance is more relaxing on the eyes and is healthier in the long run.

An 8K 48", however, would be an entirely different situation, you could use it from a closer distance like a normal monitor, because due to the higher resolution you'd have one monitor that is like a multi monitor setup with massive real estate. This will be great for productivity once the time comes and everybody will be all over it.

An 8K 48", however, would be an entirely different situation, you could use it from a closer distance like a normal monitor, because due to the higher resolution you'd have one monitor that is like a multi monitor setup with massive real estate. This will be great for productivity once the time comes and everybody will be all over it.
You'd still want about 1m viewing distance even with 8K or you turn into an owl trying to look around your screen which is straining for the neck. I would love a 48" 8K version though as that would give a lot more options for scaling and desktop space. Maybe some day.

Until then the 42" model will be a decent compromise in the wasteland that is >= 32" 4K screens. I think it's still large enough that wall mount or floorstand is a more appropriate solution unless you have a very deep desk.

You'd still want about 1m viewing distance even with 8K or you turn into an owl trying to look around your screen which is straining for the neck. I would love a 48" 8K version though as that would give a lot more options for scaling and desktop space. Maybe some day.

Until then the 42" model will be a decent compromise in the wasteland that is >= 32" 4K screens. I think it's still large enough that wall mount or floorstand is a more appropriate solution unless you have a very deep desk.

42-48 inch 8k sounds excellent. I wonder how many years it'll be until we start seeing products like that.

I agree. There is no question that 42 is still not optimal for desktop use. Burn in also makes these a nonstarter for my office usage.

But the sheer amount of image quality on offer for around $1,000 is insane. It wasn’t that long ago that you’d have to spend $7,000k for a Pioneer plasma to get black levels like this, and these are quite a bit better. Then you combine the brightness and the result is just incredible dynamic range. I am astounded by how much better even the now older LG CX is over my Panasonic Plasma which was top of the line. This is a whole new generation of display. Then you add 4K, HDR, G-SYNC, into the mix and it is a no-brainer.

I have literally been waiting for ten years for the moment when a display would show up on my desk that could rival what I was getting from plasma. It is here. Now I just need the perfect chair and standing desk.

Think I could get a 42 on a monitor arm?

Will hopefully get an OLED monitor one day but staying with my Odyssey G9 for now.
As for a desk, i'm looking into this one someday. :)
1645196558597.png

I agree. There is no question that 42 is still not optimal for desktop use. Burn in also makes these a nonstarter for my office usage.

But the sheer amount of image quality on offer for around $1,000 is insane. It wasn’t that long ago that you’d have to spend $7,000k for a Pioneer plasma to get black levels like this, and these are quite a bit better. Then you combine the brightness and the result is just incredible dynamic range. I am astounded by how much better even the now older LG CX is over my Panasonic Plasma which was top of the line. This is a whole new generation of display. Then you add 4K, HDR, G-SYNC, into the mix and it is a no-brainer.

I have literally been waiting for ten years for the moment when a display would show up on my desk that could rival what I was getting from plasma. It is here. Now I just need the perfect chair and standing desk.

Think I could get a 42 on a monitor arm?

Plasma still has way better motion clarity as to get any brightness out of OLED they use sample-and-hold. Of course plasma wasn't that bright either.

Looking for a new monitor thats oled.Would it be foolish to buy the c1 48/55 inch oled now, or should I just wait for c2? Reason I'm considering the 55 is its basicaly the same price of the 48, and I would also be using it for console gaming.

Plasma still has way better motion clarity as to get any brightness out of OLED they use sample-and-hold. Of course plasma wasn't that bright either.
Do you have one to compare to? The CX has better motion clarity using its 4.2ms on 60hz, but like you said - it's way too dim (60 nits max I think? That's close to projector levels in a black room). But the C1 has supposedly dialed the MRPT back to 8ms, which I think puts it close to plasma. Maybe in the same realm but I'm not sure. In theory it should be maxed at 120nits of brightness in this mode, which would put it square with plasma but with all the other perks (better blacks, higher resolution, etc.).

EDIT: I've always felt that my plasma has about the same clarity as my sample-and-hold 120hz LCD. Maybe a little better. In the UFO tests on blur busters.

Do you have one to compare to? The CX has better motion clarity using its 4.2ms on 60hz, but like you said - it's way too dim (60 nits max I think? That's close to projector levels in a black room). But the C1 has supposedly dialed the MRPT back to 8ms, which I think puts it close to plasma. Maybe in the same realm but I'm not sure. In theory it should be maxed at 120nits of brightness in this mode, which would put it square with plasma but with all the other perks (better blacks, higher resolution, etc.).

EDIT: I've always felt that my plasma has about the same clarity as my sample-and-hold 120hz LCD. Maybe a little better. In the UFO tests on blur busters.
I didn't even think about changes in motion clarity as models progress, CX--> C1->C2

As someone coming from a CX, can I expect any improvements or declines in motion quality in the C2? I use the Trumotion feature a lot. Hypothetically based on specs they've released, I mean. I'm not as technically versed as some on here.

Last edited:
I didn't even think about changes in motion clarity as models progress, CX--> C1->C2

As someone coming from a CX, can I expect any improvements or declines in motion quality in the C2? I use the Trumotion feature a lot. Hypothetically based on specs they've released, I mean. I'm not sure as technically versed as some on here.
No idea on the C2. On the C1 it’s a trade off. CX is potentially clearer but with less brightness. C1 can offer 8ms of MPRT without resorting to double strobe for 60hz.

In my opinion, it would be great if LG would offer consumers the choice to choose how clear/bright their TV’s are. Give us a slider, like the Viewsonic blur busters monitor, that lets us fine tune the brightness / clarity trade off.

Hopefully the BFI setting has been tuned a bit more.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the BFI settings interact with the Trumotion settings (or if they act interdependently of each other), but regardless I hope the Trumotion setting gets fixed. On my LG CX the Trumotion setting only has an impact on 24fps/30fps content (making it look silky smooth) when the TV is set to 60 HZ. If I set the TV to 120 HZ, the Trumotion has absolutely zero effect on 24fps/30fps content. This is a known issue, that I know is discussed in some subreddits. Does anyone know if this has been fixed with the C1, or if not, with the C2?

Back