4 core to 6 core question

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by Astrowind, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Astrowind

Astrowind n00b

If I run a virus scan and open a video file, will the process be smoother on a 6 core than a 4 core or would using a SSD make it faster (than a HD).

2. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

SSD would be a better upgrade to decrease the time to open a video/run a virus scan. (and cheaper too)

3. craigdt

craigdt Gawd

SSD all day every day.

Brian_B, Legendary Gamer and Armenius like this.
  4. marshac

marshac [H]ard|Gawd

SSD hands down.

5. tedych

tedych Limp Gawd

SSD. Just don't buy one of those cheap DRAMless SSDs (for example crucial BX500 series or cheapest Kingston) if you don't want to risk other issues like short freezes (which you didn't suffer with HDDs) or much reduced performance. For just a slight more you get a "real" thing which is worth it.

Geoffrey Rene Moiens likes this.
  6. bigddybn

bigddybn [H]ardness Supreme

The cheapest SSD is a massive improvement over the best HDD ever built. The problems you describe stopped being a "thing" years ago. For 99.9% of the population the cheapest SSD will put a massive smile on their faces for years. Those in the .1% aren't reading this thread looking for advice.

7. tedych

tedych Limp Gawd

No, today this is still a thing, even more, with the cheapest ssd's, I mean freezes. And not only because of DRAMless but because of just ... cheapest and crap controllers and firmware, choose one (or both).
    For slightly more you get much better SSDs. Only the super-budget-conscious buyers would make the mistake with cheapest ssds. It's the same with everything though.

bwang likes this.
  8. Astrowind

Astrowind n00b

Anyone have any experience with the WD Blue series?

9. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

We had them in lenovo smart buys at work, had no issues with several hundred in thinkpads.

10. TordanGow

TordanGow Gawd

Serious question: how do you know if its a DRAMless SSD? Even the data sheet doesn't say it has no DRAM... https://content.crucial.com/content...x500/flyer/crucial-bx500-ssd-productflyer.pdf

11. tedych

tedych Limp Gawd

Look here.
    Also look at the images of both MX500 and BX500. The latter lacks the DRAM chip. Also this is one reason BX series is cheaper.
    I guess Crucial decided to just not mention this little "anti-feature" in the specs and datasheet. I think it mentions it for MX series though, and in a way this is expected.

12. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

not sure what virus scanner you use but I use NOD32 and can do whatever I want on the PC when it's scanning and don't notice that it's running.

13. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

SSD is a thing for so many years and came down in price so much it is not a "SSD or ${whatever}" world but "Get SSD or GTFO!" world
    So... SSD and 6 core it is :)