4 core to 6 core question

Astrowind

Weaksauce
If I run a virus scan and open a video file, will the process be smoother on a 6 core than a 4 core or would using a SSD make it faster (than a HD).

SSD. Just don't buy one of those cheap DRAMless SSDs (for example crucial BX500 series or cheapest Kingston) if you don't want to risk other issues like short freezes (which you didn't suffer with HDDs) or much reduced performance. For just a slight more you get a "real" thing which is worth it.

SSD. Just don't buy one of those cheap DRAMless SSDs (for example crucial BX500 series or cheapest Kingston) if you don't want to risk other issues like short freezes (which you didn't suffer with HDDs) or much reduced performance. For just a slight more you get a "real" thing which is worth it.
The cheapest SSD is a massive improvement over the best HDD ever built. The problems you describe stopped being a "thing" years ago. For 99.9% of the population the cheapest SSD will put a massive smile on their faces for years. Those in the .1% aren't reading this thread looking for advice.

No, today this is still a thing, even more, with the cheapest ssd's, I mean freezes. And not only because of DRAMless but because of just ... cheapest and crap controllers and firmware, choose one (or both).
For slightly more you get much better SSDs. Only the super-budget-conscious buyers would make the mistake with cheapest ssds. It's the same with everything though.

Reactions: bwang
like this
No, today this is still a thing, even more, with the cheapest ssd's, I mean freezes. And not only because of DRAMless but because of just ... cheapest and crap controllers and firmware, choose one (or both).
For slightly more you get much better SSDs. Only the super-budget-conscious buyers would make the mistake with cheapest ssds. It's the same with everything though.

Serious question: how do you know if its a DRAMless SSD? Even the data sheet doesn't say it has no DRAM... https://content.crucial.com/content...x500/flyer/crucial-bx500-ssd-productflyer.pdf

Serious question: how do you know if its a DRAMless SSD? Even the data sheet doesn't say it has no DRAM... https://content.crucial.com/content...x500/flyer/crucial-bx500-ssd-productflyer.pdf
Look here.
Also look at the images of both MX500 and BX500. The latter lacks the DRAM chip. Also this is one reason BX series is cheaper.
I guess Crucial decided to just not mention this little "anti-feature" in the specs and datasheet. I think it mentions it for MX series though, and in a way this is expected.

not sure what virus scanner you use but I use NOD32 and can do whatever I want on the PC when it's scanning and don't notice that it's running.

If I run a virus scan and open a video file, will the process be smoother on a 6 core than a 4 core or would using a SSD make it faster (than a HD).
SSD is a thing for so many years and came down in price so much it is not a "SSD or ${whatever}" world but "Get SSD or GTFO!" world
So... SSD and 6 core it is :)

Back