3dfx VooDoo / retro rig / capacitor thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Susquehannock, Jan 12, 2017.

1. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Sweet!! I can remember the best times in my life were playing q2 ffa durring warm summer nights!! Play a few rounds and head outside for a smoke and come back in and play long into the night! Awesomeness!

Cool to see the v2 runing on a more modern monitor! Didnt think that was possable as the refresh rates would be too low.

revenant likes this.
  2. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

I used to play Q 2 CTF for 6 hours every night after work for like 6 months... I was kind of obsessed with it and not sure what broke my streak. so many memories. I probably put more hours into that than any other shooter. Playing it today kind of stirred that up. I use to play DM with the lithium mod too. Loved that hook. :)

eclypse likes this.
  3. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Quake2. Sure brings back some memories. Remember thinking how cool it was playing at 320x240 with my Riva TNT. Exact card in upper left of post #1. Think I payed $450 extra for it in my pre-built Dell Dimension. That system screamed for the time period. 400mhz CPU, 128mb RAM. Still have it in the closet. Gave up trying Q2 multiplayer because it was a slideshow online. Then I got the Riva TNT2 (pictured upper right) and it was a whole new ball game. Actually good enough to be invited for a couple Clans. Then UT made it's way onto my system, and the rest was history.

revenant likes this.
  4. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Finally moved the Glide rig out of the workshop. Used all the beige legacy hardware I could muster. And a bit of silver with HP ball mouse and flat panel monitor. Could not see myself lugging that big ass Dell Trinitron upstairs. Should just toss it. Set up the Unreal slideshow screensaver. Forgot it had audio too.
    voodoo.desk3a.jpg voodoo.desk4a.jpg

illram, revenant and eclypse like this.
  5. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Nice!!

Im almost done with my nerd/gaming room in the basement! Going to paint the topcoat in a few hours and then install the aquare tile carpet and move in.

Got a nice corner desk off craigslist that should hold my massive 100lb sony/hp fw900 24" widescreen crt and 75lb nec 22" monitors.

Room is 16' x 10' so i have room for my current desk and sons desk and my retro setup :)

Dont know why i didnt think of using this space sooner.. was a dinning area prior in a refinished basement with carpet.

6. deathhorse

deathhorse [H]ard|Gawd

best thread iv seen in a while thanks for posting all the pics and boards. i got all kinds of stuff i seriously need to fix just no time. man i need to take some PTO. I remember buying my first voodoo 2 video card at the local CompUSA store incredibly expensive but could play Quake 2 so good.

eclypse likes this.
  7. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

This thread is [H] AF!

Just awesome! I envy you OP. Kick ass vintage rig. (y)

8. JayteeBates

JayteeBates [H]ard|Poof

9. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan [H]ard|Gawd

Damn.... this thread takes me back. I had a Voodoo 2 SLI rig back in the day.

10. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Well, looks like the re-capped board has bit the dust. Began with random registry errors, then started dropping the IDE headers. Tried replacing parts one by one trying to track it down. Even other HDDs. Same issue.

Put the other Abit KR7A in and all is well again. May try checking the replaced caps once I have the chance. Not going to sweat too much as the board was certainly put through it's paces years ago. Bought it used from a fellow member on another forum, and overclocked the piss out of it.133mhz FSB board fully stable at 190mhz.

Found the thread. Cool thing is I'm still using the exact same CPU.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?248822-kr7a-1700-dLt3c-2375Mhz&highlight=kr7a

Took the opportunity to clean up the wiring a bit. Was oh sooo tempted to cut unused wires instead of wadding them up. Six pin auxiliary connector. Really? When was the last time you used one of those?
    kr7a.1.jpg kr7a.2.jpg kr7a.3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    revenant likes this.
  11. Zardoz

Zardoz 2[H]4U

Still use it today for some retro..

Athlon Thunderbird 1Ghz 1:1 cache, Alpha p7125 HSF
    Gigabyte GA-7IX Slot-A AMD 750 ATX
    Voodoo 5500
    Soundblater and gravis ultrasound

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]